60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Well done!
    I am down 100 lbs also! Just another 12 to 40 to go!
    I havenโ€™t chosen a goal. 12 gets me to a โ€œnormalโ€ BMI. But I am historically extremely thin due to genetics, so I will keep going until weight loss no longer seems to make sense with my body type.

CONGRATULATIONS! I have 10 more to hit the upper limit of normal BMI. And a total of 33 lbs to get back to where I was in 2009/2010 and all the clothes in my closet.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda and @swimmom_1

Fireworks ๐ŸŽ† ๐ŸŽ‡ ๐Ÿงจ ๐ŸŽ† ๐ŸŽ‡
    Applause ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘
    100 pounds OFF ๐Ÿ˜ณ! Really, really, really great ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘

HUGE congratulations - line up 10x 10 lb bags of potatoes at the grocery store and see what you've lost - better yet, stack them in a pyramid and try to lift them. What an awesome and inspiring accomplishment. Kudos ๐Ÿ’‹ ๐Ÿ˜˜

Yes!!!
  • cathyrose9909
    cathyrose9909 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, those of you that have had great success at losing the weight have my utmost admiration! I know how much dedication and work that takes. You are such an inspiration to me.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda and @swimmom_1

Fireworks ๐ŸŽ† ๐ŸŽ‡ ๐Ÿงจ ๐ŸŽ† ๐ŸŽ‡
    Applause ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘
    100 pounds OFF ๐Ÿ˜ณ! Really, really, really great ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘

HUGE congratulations - What an awesome and inspiring accomplishment. Kudos ๐Ÿ’‹ ๐Ÿ˜˜

Thank you I'm thrilled! Hope your well @BCLadybug888
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @BCLadybug888
    Glad to hear your doing well. Congrats on the 40 lbs!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to share a research paper (not paywalled!), for those into that sort of thing:

https://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(13)00326-5/fulltext

It was written by the PROT-AGE study group, an international team created by the European Union Geriatric Medicine Society (EUGMS) and other scientific organizations, specifically to review recent research and make recommendations about protein intake for people 65+ (those of us who aren't there yet, are close, eh?).

Partial quotes:
    New evidence shows that older adults need more dietary protein than do younger adults to support good health, promote recovery from illness, and maintain functionality. Older people need to make up for age-related changes in protein metabolism, such as high splanchnic extraction and declining anabolic responses to ingested protein. They also need more protein to offset inflammatory and catabolic conditions associated with chronic and acute diseases that occur commonly with aging.

Most of the paper is not too jargon-y, but in case anyone is unfamiliar with the parts I italicized, it's basically saying that we absorb the protein we eat less effectively as we age, and we may be more likely to have health conditions that cause loss of muscle ("catabolic conditions").
    To help older people (>65 years) maintain and regain lean body mass and function, the PROT-AGE study group recommends average daily intake at least in the range of 1.0 to 1.2 g protein per kilogram of body weight per day. Both endurance- and resistance-type exercises are recommended at individualized levels that are safe and tolerated, and higher protein intake (ie, โ‰ฅ1.2 g/kg body weight/d) is advised for those who are exercising and otherwise active. Most older adults who have acute or chronic diseases need even more dietary protein (ie, 1.2โ€“1.5 g/kg body weight/d). Older people with severe kidney disease (ie, estimated GFR <30 mL/min/1.73m2), but who are not on dialysis, are an exception to this rule; these individuals may need to limit protein intake.

For those who are in the US, like me, 1.0 to 1.2 grams per kilogram is about 0.5 to 0.6 grams per pound; 1.2 to 1.5 grams per kilogram is 0.6 to 0.7 grams per kilogram.

I'm still reading the paper in detail, but I'd encourage others to take a look if at all interested. There's some good information, much more detailed, about how certain health conditions play into our protein needs as we age (things like diabetes, insulin resistance, COPD, and much more), more details about timing and types of protein, etc. There are many, many footnoted links to relevant research (with brief summaries in the body of this paper). Good Stuff.

This next is just my opinion, and I may change my opinion as I look at more of this: I think we can use our healthy goal weight to think about that "grams per kilogram/pound bodyweight" stuff, if we're still carrying some fair amount of excess fat.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @AnnPT77
    Thanks for the article!
  • LardArseBird
    LardArseBird Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. Iโ€™m 62. Just starting with about 1.5 stone to lose.
    Iโ€™m in the uk.
    All friends welcome.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Congrats @swimmom_1 You are inspiring!!
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Yay @MargaretYakoda Woohoo!! So happy for you.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Congrats @swimmom_1 You are inspiring!!
    @coblujay
    Thank you.
  • suzduz
    suzduz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I recently turned 60 and 2 weeks ago had a MAJOR health scare. I had very painful diverticulitis and was in the hospital for observation for 2 days (while being administered intravenous antibiotics). Thank God I didn't have to have surgery, but my goodness WHAT A WAKE UP CALL!! I've been a member of myfitnesspal for a long, long time, but over the last 2 years of the pandemic my diet/exercise routine was horrible. I cooked a lot of meat / pork recipes and didn't have anyone to share it with, so I froze the extra and had it for lunch. So, I was eating a much higher fat content than normal and wasn't exercising as much as prior to the pandemic.

When I got out of the hospital, I had (and still have) a MAJOR motivation to have a more healthy lifestyle. Over the last 2 weeks I've pretty much only been eating fish, soft cereal, yogurt, and bananas. Pretty soon I will start introducing higher fiber foods. In the last 2 weeks I have stayed below the target for total saturated fats and have been within my calorie limit.... so I've lost 5 pounds so far, but I still have about 10 or 15 pounds to go. I am highly, highly motivated because if I go back to my old ways, I could end up having to have surgery.

I'm very thankful that I have a second chance to change my lifestyle. Some help I could use is to find high fiber foods that I like and that I will eat consistently.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    suzduz wrote: ยป
    Hello, I recently turned 60 and 2 weeks ago had a MAJOR health scare. I had very painful diverticulitis and was in the hospital for observation for 2 days (while being administered intravenous antibiotics). Thank God I didn't have to have surgery, but my goodness WHAT A WAKE UP CALL!! I've been a member of myfitnesspal for a long, long time, but over the last 2 years of the pandemic my diet/exercise routine was horrible. I cooked a lot of meat / pork recipes and didn't have anyone to share it with, so I froze the extra and had it for lunch. So, I was eating a much higher fat content than normal and wasn't exercising as much as prior to the pandemic.

When I got out of the hospital, I had (and still have) a MAJOR motivation to have a more healthy lifestyle. Over the last 2 weeks I've pretty much only been eating fish, soft cereal, yogurt, and bananas. Pretty soon I will start introducing higher fiber foods. In the last 2 weeks I have stayed below the target for total saturated fats and have been within my calorie limit.... so I've lost 5 pounds so far, but I still have about 10 or 15 pounds to go. I am highly, highly motivated because if I go back to my old ways, I could end up having to have surgery.

I'm very thankful that I have a second chance to change my lifestyle. Some help I could use is to find high fiber foods that I like and that I will eat consistently.

What do you like? Most of my fiber comes from veggies & fruits (especially broccoli, legumes, berries, avocado), oatmeal, red lentil pasta (flavor/texture similar to wheat pasta, but more protein & fiber), flax seed (in my oatmeal), Ezekiel pita . . . but most veggies, fruits, and whole grains have some.
  • CapeKell
    CapeKell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 62. Today is my first day on here. I just retired a month ago and looking to lose weight and start exercising more!