Have a Health & Nutrition Question? Ask the RD!

Options

Replies

• sunfirepromise
    sunfirepromise Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is Couscous a refined grain or complex carb?
  • Nodakjan
    Nodakjan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with prediabetes and have read so many conflicting articles I'm not sure what's allowed and what isn't. I do know I need to lose 30-40 pounds. Can you recommend a program or website to follow so I can manage this?
  • mike123m
    mike123m Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've recently had my first two gout attacks.  Since having a heart stent placed in November, I have drastically changed my diet (substituting Quorn (mycoprotein) and Beyond Meat (pea protein), for meat products, among many other changes).  I'm told to reduce the foods that have high purines in them to reduce the risk of further gout attacks.  Do the two food products I've mentioned have high levels of purines?  I eat one or the other of these products every day.
  • Cathyb8488
    Cathyb8488 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is full fat milk, yogurt and cheese better to eat than say 2% dairy when trying to lose weight?
    and How do you know how many macros of protein fat and carbs is appropriate to shed pounds?
  • martyjharris
    martyjharris Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a type 1 diabetic and trying to follow and low carb high protein diet but unsure what calorie intake I need to be on, I am active with running and gym etc any help would be good
  • jsclady
    jsclady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My fitbit says I'm burning 500 extra calories a day over the amount of calories I consume but I'm not losing weight. Do fitbit grossly overstate the amount of calories burned?
  • jaw0229
    jaw0229 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 55 years old and have reduced caloric intake to approximately 1200-1400/day (Mediterranean diet most days) and exercise at least 30 minutes 3 - 4 /week. I am not losing weight. I am frustrated. I am post menopause and I don't want to believe that weight loss is not possible just because of my age. What can I do? What am I doing wrong? I've heard that exercise creates a stress hormone that actually works against weight loss. This doesn't sound right. Help please.
  • anehcar
    anehcar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I’d like some guidance
    on how much protein I should aim to consume to lose weight. I’m not looking for a Leto dirt but am happy to do a high protein eating plan. I weigh 53kg, am 50 and do low intensity resistance exercise everyday

Also what should my calorie goal be?
  • janetcowan
    janetcowan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to increase the fiber in my diet and am considering Metamucil with aspartame. My research shows aspartame has a lot of negative comments. Eating all natural fiber adds a lot of calories and carbs. Can I safely include Metamucil with aspartame?
  • mlwharriman
    mlwharriman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m working to reduce how many grams of added sugar I eat a day but not sure what the limit is. I eat 2-3 servings of fresh fruit a day. My understanding is the sugar in fresh fruit isn’t part of that calculation. I read labels but still confused sometimes about added sugars.
    How many grams total of added sugar and naturally occurring sugar ( as in fruit) is considered acceptable for a healthy diet?
  • uncoolernie
    uncoolernie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey. I am 47yr old M with approx 30kgs to lose. Is interval weight loss - with month on (target of losing 500g p/w) followed by a month off (maintaining weight) a good idea? Is the bodies "weight set point" based in scientific fact and evidence or just a new "fad".
    It sounds good, resonates with me and I am trying to follow a wholefood, plant based diet with very little sugar or processed food. It kind of fits with what ia doing anyway. TIA
  • diannep21547
    diannep21547 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you agree that each major meal should be 25-30 grams of protein?
  • bbbrannigan
    bbbrannigan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a male in early 50’s what tips would you have for proper nutrition for fueling workouts aimed at fat loss specifically belly fat.
  • johnthompson326
    johnthompson326 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve been sticking to a diet for about 3 weeks now, but I haven’t seen any progress, what is causing this? I track my calories, and I’m only eating between 1,800-2,100 a day which is under the target the app set for me.
  • wendynocek
    wendynocek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at the same weight for 6 years now and want to lose 10 more pounds. No matter what I do my weight will not budge. Any suggestions to help or why I can’t lose any more weight?
  • cvanloan11585
    cvanloan11585 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Could you recommend a probiotic supplement for someone struggling with Gut health after antibiotics? If not a specific brand, could you suggest qualities to look for in a good probiotic supplement for someone trying to build up better gut health? Thank you!
  • sexyzena
    sexyzena Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im a pestatarian, what foods can I eat to help with keeping my haemoglobin levels right, I give blood but have been unable to donate these last two times, due to it being too low.
  • kgrygo93
    kgrygo93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have any suggestions for partners who have drastically different dietary and caloric needs who still want to eat together and live a healthy lifestyle?
  • JoddieTay17
    JoddieTay17 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hi Stephanie!
    In the last few months, I've changed my eating style to tofu/seafood/fruits/veggies and beans. I am so gassy! Especially the last few weeks. I've cut out processed plant products like Just Egg and Beyond Meat, yet the gas persists.

I just ordered some quinoa so will have some grains starting this week. I also eat a lot of Dave's Killer Bread (21 Grain). Though I struggle to hit my protein goals, I am always over on fiber. Could it be the fiber that is causing gassiness?

Beans = chickpeas and black beans
    Seafood - smoked salmon, grilled tilapia, grilled shrimp
    Veggies = bell peppers, cabbage, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, red onions, etc
    Fruits = frozen: cherries, berries, mangoes and bananas. Fresh: Ambrosia apples and Bosc pears

THANK YOU for reading Stephanie!
  • ebonyrenegade98
    ebonyrenegade98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What do you suggest for someone who can’t seem to lose the weight? I took my doctor’s advice, the advice of two dieticians, and my endocrinologist said my only option at this point is bariatric surgery. I try to eat as much protein and healthy carbs as I can, I eat at a 1000+ calorie deficit for my BMR (I started at -200 and increased with each month of no loss, so I eat about 1500 calories a day), and I want to give up.
This discussion has been closed.