April 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    Enjoy your weekend @martaindale !

You are doing great @f7d49cxrdc !

Enjoy your weekend too @Teresa502 ! Looking forward to the hiking report. I managed to beat the rain with my run this morning, but barely.

@kgirlhart I'm glad the wind died down and you had a better run today!

Some runs are just hard @yirara . Nice job on getting it done.
  • quilteryoyo
    4-1 = 1.00 mile walk - treadmill - doubles tennis in the morning
    4-2 = 1.00 mile walk - driveway
    4-3 = 2.25 mile wun on the driveway
    4-4 = 2.25 mile wun on the driveway after push mowing at mom's
    4-5 = 0.6 mile walk - 2.00 mile run part on driveway and part on treadmill
    4-6 = 1.00 mile walk - treadmill
    4-7 = 1.00 mile walk - treadmill
    4-8 = 1.00 mile walk - treadmill
    4-9 = 2.00 miles walk - treadmill
    4-10 = 1.00 mile walk - driveway laps
    4-11 = 0.70 mile walk - 2.00 mile Fast Finish Run - driveway laps
    4-12 = 0.70 mile walk - 2.00 mile Foundation Run - treadmill
    4-13 = 1.00 mile walk - driveway laps
    4-14 = 0.70 mile walk - 2.10 mile Speed Play Run - driveway laps

24.3/70 miles

I have been commenting and checking in, but haven't posted my runs since Sunday. My internet has been on and off, mostly off and I just didn't have time to deal with it. It seems to be working a bit better now.

I did start Matt Fitzgerald's 10k training plan on Monday. I've done pretty good the first four days. Yesterday I only had time for a walk, so I'm calling that cross-training, which was an option for yesterday.

Today I didn't have to be at work until 11:30, so I was able to get my run in before leaving and I even beat the rain. But, it was humid and like @rheddmobile 's DH said, I should have checked the gravity forecast before heading out. :wink: My legs just felt like lead the entire time, but, overall, it wasn't too bad of a run. The gravity seemed to affect Tippy too.
    fvog6ai40eep.jpg
    This what what I saw when I was finishing up my run this morning. I laughed to think that the gravity had pulled her down and was holding her there. It didn't last long though, as I was only able to get one picture before she roused.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited April 2022
    @Scott6255 wrote: »

intercostal muscle pain - look this up

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited April 2022
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Haven't checked in for a few days. Y'all are doing great. @quilteryoyo glad your internet is working (a little) better.

I don't think I mentioned this on my previous post, but I tweaked my back Saturday when I was working under the sink? It felt like I broke a rib. Couldn't straighten up for a long time, then it hurt to breathe. It dissipated after about an hour or so that I could get around ok, but definitely still hurt.
    It slowly got better over the next few days, but Tuesday night I got up (as most of us older folk do several times during the night) and as I was sitting there I sneezed. Holy mother of God!!!! I heard something crack/pop, and that same place hurt again, but it was 100x worse! I was sweating and felt like throwing up 🥵
    I crawled into bed, but couldn't find a position that didn't hurt. Finally after 2 hours I got up and took an Advil. I think it helped, got a couple hours of sleep. But I could barely walk or bend the next morning.
    It eased up a bit throughout the day Wednesday, and I took my normal walk after work. Today I did a mile walking warm up, then a slow 3 miles on the treadmill to test it. I felt it, but it wasn't painful. Probably going slow on the treadmill isn't a real test, but it's a start. Doesn't sound like I will have any time to run this weekend with a lot of family plans, so will try to go out in the morning for a decent miles.
    *$#@ sucks to get old!

exercise.png

I had an injury like that once when I fell on a stick in the forest while participating in some capture the flag game as a camp counselor. When I finally caved and went to the doctor, the x-rays showed it wasn't broken, but they said the pain is frequently comparable and they treat it the same way. I wore some sort of compression band that did help a little. And pain meds and deep breathing exercises. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    Oh my! Scott that sounds awful.... And the funny thing is that I had JUST decided that I had an intercostal sprain yesterday evening (go back a few pages to my rant about my back). Is the universe aligning in this manner? I have been running but not fast at all. Scott your injury sounds a lot worse than mine - I hope you can heal quickly but from my waterskiing days I think it takes 6-8 weeks or more to heal. sigh.

What has eased my pain has been Rx level Naproxin. Which I rarely take but it helped me to sleep and move more normally. The other odd thing about this injury is that BOTH ice and heat seem to help. So I have been alternating a cold and a heating pad. I really wish I had a talented massuese who knew me because I think it could help also but I am afraid to just go willy nilly to anyone and end up worse.

Mileage wise I am up to 73.68 out of my 125 mile goal...I probably should not run and let my back heal up completely but I will if I can.
  • quilteryoyo
    Oh no @Scott6255 ! That sounds awful. I hope it continues to get better and never, ever happens again!

@shanaber Looks like a fantastic day was had by all. I'm sure Hobbes is glad to be by himself for a bit, but am also sure he misses Beaux - or will after he gets rested up. Glad your winds have calmed down. As for the weather, we are supposed to get rain tonight and Sunday night, but nothing major is forecast for E. TN. As I recall, it rarely snows in Seattle, so they are probably having a tough time.

Nice for already meeting your goal for the month @f7d49cxrdc . Sometimes it is hard to gage how much you will be able to run, especially when you are first starting out - or starting again. You're doing great.

Take it easy @SummerSkier . I had forgotten that you hurt your back too.

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,028 Member
    @Scott6255 @SummerSkier Your club doesn't sound like one I want to be a part of. I hope the two of you feel better soon!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    @SummerSkier and @Scott6255 I hope your backs are better soon!

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,890 Member
    @Scott6255 wrote: »
    Thank you for the diagnosis Dr. Leeper! 😁
    I think you are dead on.

Sadly, I did it 1/16/2022. I was working on yoga pose and slight shift and felt my rib pop. Thought I had broken it with some violent yoga. Ice and heat are your friends. I laid on the floor for awhile, unable to move it was so painful, so I fully understand.

*dew claws up* Just one of the fun things we do as 'older folk'.

• quilteryoyo
    @martaindale Hills are definitely harder. Enjoy the rest of your stay there. You are doing great getting all that exercise done.