Accountability

Hi, I am 55years old living in Australia. I have tried many diets and health programs. I never post as I figure if no one knows that I am trying to lose weight and I fall of the wagon it wont matter. So this is putting myself out there.
I weigh 95kgs (209lbs), love sugar, hate exercise as in walking etc. I do enjoy gardening and I am happy to walk for a purpose such as sight seeing and exploring. I go to the pool at least once a week. That is only gentle exercise with a client. I have come to realize it's so much the exercise but what I eat, and how much I eat.
I have uncontrolled diabetes type 2, high blood pressure and cholesterol without medication. Ironically I work as a support worker and I encourage people all day to make better choices for themselves. So this is me trying to put myself first, I want to lead by example and take some of my own advice!

Replies

• 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    It is always such 🙂 that we know what's best but it's harder to do it for ourselves when no one holds us accountable. It's easier to follow through when you think you have to prove your progress 😄 or we do it just so we do not disappoint somebody else.
    It's never too late to start loving ourselves enough to choose to be uncomfortable and put in the work. (It's what I remind myself anyway). I also have a sweet tooth and a genetic risk for diabetes so whenever I have sugar cravings, I choose to replace it with tea (bought many different kinds). And when I'm too lazy to workout, I do a walking workout while I watch TV (makes 30-40 minutes of walkig in place and other small movements bearable).
    I too just joined (day 2) for the same reason, to stop halting my progress and have someone to be accountable to. Hopefully we can all make the changes we need to 🙂
  • AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 271 Member
    Hi Donna! I'm 55 years old in California and recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes along with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I have been logging into MFP for 40 days. My journey with diabetes has just started but I want to do everything I can to bring my numbers down. I'm on medication for all three ailments and looking forward to my next blood work to see if my efforts have paid off at all.

I don't love sweet, but I do love carbs. MFP has been helpful for me track my macros and ensure that I'm getting the right quantity of carbs spread out through the day. I don't want to be hunting for groups of foods that I can eat when I want to, so I have started some cheat sheets to make it easier for myself when I'm hungry.

Yesterday (Easter) was a challenge. I have been focusing on low glycemic load carbs, and I was faced with scalloped potatoes, glazed ham, and fresh sourdough bread. (Note: I had full control over this meal. HA!) I had about 1/2 cup of the scalloped potatoes, 5 ounces of ham (which is more meat that I've been eating at a sitting in these past 40 days), and two slices of the bread (along with a massive green salad, little dressing.) My blood sugar was a little higher than I'm used to after 2 hours (148). I'd say it's a win for a holiday meal.

I have yet to get out walking, but a couple of years ago I listened to audiobooks while I walked and that was an enjoyable activity. Now I just have to charge my earpods. :) Note I've been doing this for 40 days, and still haven't charged them.

Best of luck!
    Amy
  • DonnaWrigley2015
    DonnaWrigley2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks Aviva and Amy, day two is going well and I feel confident at the moment. I set myself up well for this week. I just have to keep it up! Good luck on you journeys!
  • LillianandJoanne
    LillianandJoanne Posts: 4 Member
    Accountability,,, I need to open my food and have friends so I am tracking daily. If you like to do the same add me as a friend. I will start tracking today. EVERYTHING. lol