• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Katla hope your DH feels better today. If you have a homeowner's association, I would definitely ask them to install a railing. Tell them you don't want to get into a lawsuit, and see if that helps bump up the priority.

Allie hope you feel better too. Too many falls! So dangerous! Glad Miles is okay, but take care of you, too.

Annie in Delaware who is not sleeping at 5 am.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,366 Member
    edited May 2022
    Allie - So glad all is well with Miles, and glad Tylenol helped you. I would have done the same phone calls, I can promise you. Take care of yourself so you can take care of that baby...

Rori - The changes and upgrades to the condo sound grand.

Tina - Thank you for the pictures! Good to see you again in general.

Tracey - Michaela is such a charmer! I'm totally impressed with your balancing act with the grands. My own maternal grandmother played favorites too. Part of that may well have been my father's need to isolate us for his own reasons, but everyone knew already that Billie was my grandmother's favorite child, and Billie's kids were her favorite grandkids, too. I spent a month with my grandmother between my junior and senior years, but it was a punishment, not a happy thing.

Vicki - Thanks for the comments about the OCD room; I've got five projects lined up, so it's about to get messy. Hope the bike ride is wonderful!

Betsy - One of the things I did on at least a weekly and sometimes a daily basis was write to my mother. She died in 1999, and I wrote her letters for almost a year - and then I quit because I was fibbing about how wonderful things were in my life when they genuinely weren't. It was a good tool to cope with that first year after she died. I'm so glad you're going north again, and applaud you for doing what's necessary to keep your sister safe.

Michele - Congratulations! So pleased you were able to attend the graduation.

Machka - Loved the pictures of your family. Also loved that red-headed hair concoction. Very, very pretty.

Heather - Happy anniversary to you and Johnny, and cannot believe that Max is that old... They all look quite happy.

Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    I've started following a Stay on Your Feet site on Facebook: https://www.stayonyourfeet.com.au/

And they've got a campaign on now
    https://www.stayonyourfeet.com.au/health-professionals/campaigns/

From the campaign:

Remove Hazards campaign key messages and calls to action
    The Remove Hazards campaign aims to educate older adults and health and community workers on important information around removing potential hazards and creating safe environments to prevent falls and to promote healthy ageing as well as supporting eye and foot health.

Key messages

1. Make your home safer by removing hazards in and around the house.
    2. Look after your eyes and check your eyesight.
    3. Take care of your feet to help you stay active and mobile.
    4. Falls are preventable.

Calls to action

1. Use the Stay On Your Feet® home safety checklist to look for hazards in and around your home.
    2. See an optometrist for eye checks every two years or if your vision changes.
    3. Check your feet and see a podiatrist if you notice any changes.
    4. Wear safe footwear that fits well.
    5. Create a falls action plan.
    6. Tell a GP if you have a fall.

M in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,329 Member
    Lisa-congrats on room set up. It’s nice to get things the way you want them. Excellent news the Humira appears to be doing its job. Most of the time we don’t get ill or out of shape overnight, so all recovery happens in small forward steps.

Lanette-I think it is getting more difficult for people to determine where they may have picked up Covid (unless I get it and let you know I was around you). I agree that we must all do what we are most comfortable with and we need to respect each other’s choices.

Barbie NW WA-thanks for sharing the wanting at the moment. That makes sense on so many levels.

Betsy-the down spells will hit you. I just work my way through them. You are normal. I also think you are being sensible in your approach to travel. We take precautions not just for ourselves but for those around us.

Allie-glad all is well with Miles-you keep an eye on your bruising!

Katia-hope husband heals quickly. I would keep an eye out for rib issues, although most of the time they don’t do much about them (but they can be very painful)

Annie-congrats on weight loss!

Heather-congrats on anniversary. Your grands are adorable.

Glad it is Saturday. No rain predicted for several days. While it will be cool today, I will take it! On going foot saga:
    Driving to specialty shoe store about 45 minutes away to try for some work/dressier shoes that orthotics will fit in. I am prepared to spend money. My feet are really beginning to feel so much better. I will then sort out my old shoes. I have quite a few pairs from trying different brands and styles to see if they would help. I am hoping for a black pair and a brown pair (a navy would be nice). I won’t have the variety I have had in the past but I am more focused on walking with no/minimal pain and not fashion at my age!

Good friend is in hospital-they think osteomyelitis. Waiting to hear if she will have surgery today. We talked Thursday and she mentioned nothing-then in hospital Friday. However, she has a history of not taking exceptional care of her health.

Off to start laundry, etc. Need to get housework done today as well as shopping. Tomorrow I go to Columbus to have lunch with son and DIL for Mother’s day. It is also son’s bday today-my baby is 31!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Morning ladies
    Still a bit sore,but ok.. will text Tracy and see how the little guy is..I really have to do some work on my place I have slacked long enough.. I go in spurts.. lol ,I will try and get the comforters vacuumed and done and ready to be put away and get rid of some papers today..
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,301 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Thanks for moral support. DH slept downstairs last night. Climbing stairs is a big challenge. I just checked on him. He is now snuggled in quilts. As to stairs, we installed sturdy stair rails on both sides of the stairs long ago. He hasn’t fallen inside the house but has tripped outside in the parking area. I’ve tripped there, too. I want a stair rail outside in the parking area, too. We had 2 rails installed on our deck stairs long ago.

We both love our home & the views of the river.

Katla
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    :heart:
  • Machka9
    Saturday

My husband vacuumed downstairs (under the house) and I vacuumed upstairs (main living area).

My husband has been reorganising the exercise equipment downstairs so that is a bit easier to use. I think we're all set up for winter now. I'm pleased and have walked briskly on the treadmill for about 40-45 minutes the last couple days.

I've been chipping away at tidying the main living area and in particular, trying to clear walkways.

And I've been working my cycling club stuff.

Rain - We haven't been able to do anything outside the last couple days ... in total we've reached about 110 mm of rain in about 2.5 days. Everything is soggy!

Staying Home - if it were up to me, I'd stay home most of the time. I am quite happy not going shopping and not going into the city.

However, it's not up to me. Still, ordering groceries and having them delivered reduces my need to be out and about. And these last 2 very rainy days have been lovely. The police etc. issued a recommendation not to drive unless absolutely necessary because of water over roads, falling trees, bits and pieces blowing about (it has been really windy too), etc. I've been more than happy to comply!

Masks - we're required to wear them on public transportation, in pharmacies, and in medical settings. So I still wear a mask when I'm out.

Railings - we've been visiting tip shops to find railings for our footpaths outside and have found a few for low dollars. We'd like one more but haven't found the right one yet. Once we've got what we want or close to it, our son has offered to come and help install them.

Lights - we might need to install another solar footpath light to make our footpath safer as we trek downstairs to exercise. Do you have lights to mark your footpaths and especially your stairs?

Music - I've been collecting nature music: Dolphin Dance, Echoes of the Humpbacks, Tropical Tradewinds, and so on. It goes nicely with the sounds in my tinnitus apps and is very relaxing. Good to listen to late in the evening when I'm winding down for the day.

Hugs to those going through things.
    Well done to those making accomplishments.

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    edited May 2022
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, CI<CO.
    Bonus: PT appt, post office, library, Freddie’s, 2 sets PT.
    Just one thing: back to bupkes
    Workin’ on it: 141.1, H20x4, active 3:07
    Meaningful May
    7: Make a list of what matters most to you, and why: Joe, dogs, physical and mental health, social and spiritual connections.

Could not make myself do last set of PT exercises last night, tired, sore, achy from PT session. Red wine also a factor.
    Today’s first set done and dusted. New day.

Rebecca your middle son is one lucky guy!!!
    Rori so good to see your smiling face. Brava for building helmet tolerance. Baby steps.
    Michele you ARE a success!
    Annie, great motiviating suggestion to Katla about the handrail.
    Lisa letters as coping with grief mechanism, brilliant!
    Machka thanks for the stay on your feet page. One of the things I hate most about ageing is the fear of falling.
    Ginny prayers for your friend and her healthcare professionals. Hope you find not just the black, brown and navy pair but a grey or cream for summer too!
    Allie take it easy, let those bruises and aches heal, no need to knock yourself out working on your place. ((hugs))
    Katla do I hear poignancy in your “we love our home…” Are you contemplating a move to a one level?
    :heart:

Joe’s invited me to Crissey Field with the dogs, despite the rain. Time to gear up! ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • Machka9
    ginnytez wrote: »
    On going foot saga:
    Driving to specialty shoe store about 45 minutes away to try for some work/dressier shoes that orthotics will fit in. I am prepared to spend money. My feet are really beginning to feel so much better. I will then sort out my old shoes. I have quite a few pairs from trying different brands and styles to see if they would help. I am hoping for a black pair and a brown pair (a navy would be nice). I won’t have the variety I have had in the past but I am more focused on walking with no/minimal pain and not fashion at my age!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

I am also dealing with foot issues. I have fairly advanced arthritis in my right foot, but also less advanced in my left foot.

I have orthotics and carbon fibre insoles to keep the soles of my shoes stiff.
    I'm to wear stiff-soled shoes most of the time however, my Hoka running shoes have also been approved.

I wear the orthotics in a pair of hiking/walking shoes and Hoka running shoes on the way to and from work most of the time.
    I need to find those carbon fibre insoles again to put them into one of the other pair of shoes I wear fairly frequently.

Now, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, my right foot has decided it's going to do something interesting. The top of the foot is really, really painful. If I tie my shoes at all tightish, I'm in agony. Even moving my foot or taking my shoes off is very painful. Weird.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Thanks for moral support. DH slept downstairs last night. Climbing stairs is a big challenge. I just checked on him. He is now snuggled in quilts. As to stairs, we installed sturdy stair rails on both sides of the stairs long ago. He hasn’t fallen inside the house but has tripped outside in the parking area. I’ve tripped there, too. I want a stair rail outside in the parking area, too. We had 2 rails installed on our deck stairs long ago.

We both love our home & the views of the river.

Katla

Have your children suggested moving to a place that is easier to negotiate and take care of?

It is definitely a consideration as we age.

My husband and I have discussed it and the next place we move will be one level with a small flat yard. And if possible, it will be fitted with grab bars in the bathroom.

Friends of ours moved from their home in the hills into a one-level place they had built in the city close to conveniences. Their place is nice and they've had the bathroom done so that someone in a wheelchair could use it. Good idea! I'd be tempted to renovate and do that in a bathroom in any house we bought.

I like the house we're in and we're OK right now, but we are definitely considering options because this is not a house and yard we could age in ... despite the great view. :)

Machka in Oz
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Allie, so glad Miles is okay and you're able to cure your aches with Tylenol.

The day is looking amazing here! Can't wait for the game tonight!!! GO VIXEN!!!
    skvixjg5d6gl.png
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,054 Member
    edited May 2022

Michele: Congrats to Jess. I would have cried, too!
    Rebecca: OMG! So alike!
    Tracey: You use tools to emboss and perforate special transparent vellum paper. I would post a pic only MFP is being difficult at the minute. I'm using DH's tablet so will take a photo of a finished piece and try and post it.
    Machka: What a good looking couple. I love those hairstyles.
    Betsy: (((hugs))) You were right to get the extra jab. No point in taking chances with your sister's health. Have a great time.
    Heather: Sounds like you had a cracker anniversary. 😍 Max's birthday pic/cake.
    Allie: Delighted that Miles sufferedno ill effects. Now, rest up, my dear friend.
    Lanette: Had my first cut of the lettuce for lunch. Tasty!!!
    Katla: Hoping your DH is okay after his fall. It can be so unsettling when that happens.
    Debbie: now that I’m keeping my hair longer, it looks like masses come out when I brush. I used to wash it every day when I was younger, but my hairdresser advised twice a week at most. I wash it on Sunday mornings. It’s naturally curly, so no more work than when it was short. I put it up in a twist when it’s wet, and let it down at bedtime.

Collected my new glasses, and what a difference! Did some light gardening after lunch. Just chilling with a coffee now.

😃☘ Terri

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    We don’t plan to switch to a one level home. We’re well established here, we like our neighbors, and have a wonderful view.

That said, we plan to look at possible trip hazards. Over the years we’ve made grab rails inside and outside. We’re looking at the possibility of a chair elevator that can seat someone going up or down the stairs.