WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2022

Replies

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,267 Member
    :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Still take Drew on walks just being careful not to let people get too close.

In do summit talked about lowering exposure to Wifi. I will now make sure I turn off devices not in use and turn off Wifi when not using computer. There is no way to switch it to airplane mode on my Chrome. I will also start limiting my time on computer ad will no long have it in my bedroom at night.

Also talked about the health of our soils and what we can do to help. I do many of the things she suggested already. I no longer use any herbacides or pesticide and use a natural ferilizer. I also compost my kitchen scraps in the spring, summer, and fall. The piece I will try to improve is not to leave bare soil for erosion purposes. Introducing more native plants would help.

The themne of the summit was detox. It was good to learn simple things that are helpful to Drew and me.

Another biggy is to stay off lawns that look like golf courses because of the chmeicals used.
  • Bodenista
    Bodenista Posts: 146 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Bodenista wrote: »
    I am going to the library to pick up a book I ordered. Reading is one of my loves and obsessions and has been since I was a child so I am looking forward to starting my new book later.

Have a fabulous day everyone 💫💫

Bodenista UK

I've been debating about going to the library again. I stopped going because I'd start on a series and couldn't get the whole series. There would be 2 of the 3 books in a trilogy or books 1, 4 and 7 out of a collection. I was told I could try ordering them, but quite often I'd find there was a list of people ahead of me who wanted the books. So I'd read Book 1 and it could be months before I'd see Book 2. It just wasn't great for settling into an interesting series.

I also found the 3 weeks allowed for the books limiting as I can only read on weekends. I constantly had overdue books and was constantly paying for the extra time.

So I started going to Op Shops ... and started finding whole series there for $1-2 each book and I can read them at my own leisure. :):)

But I've been tempted to try the library again. Apparently they've dropped the overdue book fee.

Machka in Oz

Machka I'm in the UK and they have dropped the overdue fees here and they automatically renew the book for you every 3 three unless of course someone else orders the book.

I do read a lot of books by the same authors but they tend not to be series of books of so I don't have that problem.

The book that I picked up today is called 'A Different Kind of Daughter' by Maria Toorpakai. The one that I've just finished was called 'Grown Ups' by Marian Keyes. I read all kinds of different stuff. Give the library a go again, you never know what gems you might find 🙂

Bodenista UK
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    :)
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    One thing I am really appreciating about COVID is that we can send people home from work if they're experiencing any illness ... even just slightly! We can also put our masks on and tell them to keep their distance as they are packing up to go.

There's no more soldiering on at work through illness ... and thus there is a lot less illness spreading through offices. :smile:

I've thought this is how it should be since I started working decades ago.

M in Oz

I agree. I hated it when people went to work coughing up lungs and sneezing, snotty tissues everywhere. The mister was sick every few months when he was in the office full time.

Tina in CA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Pip, Hoping you are OK! What happened?

Karen in Virginia
  • sh0tzz99
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Thanks ladies for your support with my rental disaster ❣️ The biggest expense is buying a new refrigerator and over the stove microwave. We will be working hard for the next few weeks. I don't mind hard work because I can eat more 😜. We will still be coming to Minnesota every year for the summer to visit family until we get too old to drive! We actually bought the property next to ours just so someone didn't buy it to put up an apartment building! That property is over an acre in the city and they are looking for space for that. We got it really cheap because it needs $50,000 in a DIY project. The bank got it back but honored our agreement even though they were offered twice what we paid for it. We can sell it or do the DIY project and possibly triple our money. What would you advise us to do???

<3 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

My 2 cents-Once you sell it, you lose control over what happens to it and who resides there. The next owner could be a developer or someone who sells it to a developer, which seems likely from what you wrote. If you can keep it and potentially rent it, that might be your best bet.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Went to ER today. Lots happened, will explain when I have energy

Yikes! Hope your up and running again soon!

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    I am going to the library to pick up a book I ordered. Reading is one of my loves and obsessions and has been since I was a child so I am looking forward to starting my new book later.

Have a fabulous day everyone 💫💫

Bodenista UK

I've been debating about going to the library again. I stopped going because I'd start on a series and couldn't get the whole series. There would be 2 of the 3 books in a trilogy or books 1, 4 and 7 out of a collection. I was told I could try ordering them, but quite often I'd find there was a list of people ahead of me who wanted the books. So I'd read Book 1 and it could be months before I'd see Book 2. It just wasn't great for settling into an interesting series.

I also found the 3 weeks allowed for the books limiting as I can only read on weekends. I constantly had overdue books and was constantly paying for the extra time.

So I started going to Op Shops ... and started finding whole series there for $1-2 each book and I can read them at my own leisure. :):)

But I've been tempted to try the library again. Apparently they've dropped the overdue book fee.

Machka in Oz

Machka I'm in the UK and they have dropped the overdue fees here and they automatically renew the book for you every 3 three unless of course someone else orders the book.

I do read a lot of books by the same authors but they tend not to be series of books of so I don't have that problem.

The book that I picked up today is called 'A Different Kind of Daughter' by Maria Toorpakai. The one that I've just finished was called 'Grown Ups' by Marian Keyes. I read all kinds of different stuff. Give the library a go again, you never know what gems you might find 🙂

Bodenista UK

I am currently reading the final book in the Outlander series (or what is supposed to be the final book). It has been 3 years since I finished the first 7. It took the author a long time to finish and I forgot so much of what happened in the prior books and forgot many of the characters. I had to read a "Cliff's Notes" version of the previous books and I am still struggling with some of the characters and I'm 90% done.

I also hate when TV series wait so long to get the new season out (Netflix is awful about this). We watched Stranger Things and it has been so long since the last season, I forgot what happened. It's supposed to start again in July, I think. I could just rewatch a few episodes, but I just don't enjoy sitting and watching TV enough for that. I will hobble along.

Tina in CA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    I did my yoga and cardio! Yay! I did yoga for knees and also day 1 of the 2015 yoga with Adriene series. That much was good.

I tried a different low impact beginner cardio video and I didn't like it. Instead of moving to the music and following the leader, I was supposed to pick my own pace and that didn't work. Plus there was no warmup. And there were fast squats which make it too hard to limit the depth of the squat. So I didn't finish that one. Which is a victory in the category of listening to my body.

My knee is a little sore after that. But hopefully that will fade with a little rest.

Pip! We are all waiting to hear what happened! Hope you are okay!

Annie in Delaware
  • sh0tzz99
    I did my yoga and cardio! Yay! I did yoga for knees and also day 1 of the 2015 yoga with Adriene series. That much was good.

I tried a different low impact beginner cardio video and I didn't like it. Instead of moving to the music and following the leader, I was supposed to pick my own pace and that didn't work. Plus there was no warmup. And there were fast squats which make it too hard to limit the depth of the squat. So I didn't finish that one. Which is a victory in the category of listening to my body.

My knee is a little sore after that. But hopefully that will fade with a little rest.

Pip! We are all waiting to hear what happened! Hope you are okay!

Annie in Delaware

It is always great to listen to your body. But you don't have to quit either. You can always just do what feels comfortable in a squat. Go as far as you can without your knee hurting. Just keep moving throughout the period, even if you just move side to side or march in place. Sometimes, I just drop my weights and continue a move until it's finished.

Again, I have to give a shout out to Denise Austin here. She is in her 60s now, I think and she works out for her age range. She has short and free videos in her blog that are on YouTube as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr214rj0vuk&amp;ab_channel=DeniseAustin

I started her workouts when I was in my 20s. They really helped me kick start my workout at home preference (I hate going to the gym). She does a lot of low impact moves.

Tina in CA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2022
    Machka — I have been retired for a long time and remember how damaging it is for coworkers who become sick because another coworker brought disease to work. Working from home can be a good idea. Sick leave can also keep others safer.

Shelley — My parents took a cruise ship from Oregon to Alaska many years ago. It was a highlight in their lives that they remembered well. I hope you have a great experience, too. ⭐️

(((Pip))) — That bruise looks painful. Thank goodness for the seatbelt. Sending good
    thoughts for healing. ❤️

Mary — Good luck deciding how to deal with your property.

Tracey— Alone time is precious. Too much alone time can be lonely. I hope you are able to keep things in a good balance that works well for you. ⭐️

Rebecca— You were a beautiful bride. Lovely! ❤️

Flea — I agree that people who are sick or contagious should stay home. ⭐️

Margaret — Walking a dog is a wonderful activity for the dog and the person. We still miss our old dog. We haven’t gotten a puppy yet. 🐶

Tina in CA — I am an avid reader. The Outlander books are favorites. I have eleven of the books on my shelf. I liked the books better than the TV shows.

Rita — Congratulation on a good family visit. ⭐️

We’re having a quiet morning. We’re watching the birds and the Columbia River.

Katla in NW Oregon

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    B)
  • BeYourBestSelfDeb
    BeYourBestSelfDeb Posts: 64 Member
    Hi Barbie, so pleased to find you here. I just joined May 16 and I am so happy to be here. I am 63 and this is not my first rodeo. Through yrs of dieting I have a wealth of tips and have learned a lot. I am trying again with the help of a new Dr I found to help manage my thyroid and type 2 diabetes.

I am here hoping to make friends and share our journeys. Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to know you.
    Best wishes
    Debbie
    Lancaster Ohio
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    Just leaving this here... TTYL
    6qizytt7zoy8.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Back home after watching Mr Miles... and then getting Homer out..
    Miles left front tooth should be coming through anytime.. he is miserable and its just so sad..i bought the tiny cup and we tried that with a tiny bit of success.. i think he will get the hang of that eventually.. no go with the bottles..
    My uncles wake and celebration of life is friday night and Saterday morning.. i have gotten together some things for my cousin Tammy that she can take back with her to Florida and enjoy.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    We are cozy at home. DH is sleeping at 12:45 pm. He hasn’t been feeling very well. I hope the sleep helps.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,284 Member
    edited May 2022
    PIP – Yikes!!!

Heather - sorry about your back. Stretches.

I watched an interesting interview with Mark Mattson, one of the pioneers in studying intermittent fasting and aging. His research indicates “fasting” (going without calories according to his definition) anywhere from 12 to 16 hours plus or calorie restriction for even a couple days per week kicks in autophagy and other processes which are beneficial to our brains, insulin, etc.

He also mentioned that studies have shown getting cancer treatments such as chemotherapy or radiation while in a fasted state (when the body is burning ketones instead of glucose for fuel) helps the efficacy of the treatment. Cancer cells like glucose for fuel, not ketones. So starve them.

Bitter drinks such as coffee and tea, along with fruit/veg peels, have chemicals in them that are mildly irritating to cells – actually causing them to be more resilient. That's not exactly what he said, but that's my takeaway.

Anyhow, tons of interesting little gems. I need to rewatch it.

Here’s the link I hope: Mark Mattson | The Intermittent Fasting Revolution | Talks at Google - YouTube if the link doesn't work, "google" it. :D

Yesterday we had some unexpected sunshine so I got busy weeding. The string trimmer is fast becoming my nemesis, so I resorted to a small serrated 30 year old grass hook (sickle/scythe) we had stashed away, which did a great job on grass overtaking some of the flowerbeds. It needs sharpening; DH said his chainsaw sharpener should do the trick.

Lanette B)
    Chilly, windy and wet SW WA State