5/13: 6.1 miles
    5/14: 10 miles
    5/16: 3 miles
    5/17: 3.1 miles
    5/18: 3.7 miles
    5/21: 3.2 miles
    5/22: 6.2 miles
    5/24: 4.2 miles

Went out to my neighborhood trail this morning. We are also getting rain today and tomorrow but it was still pre-storm when I went out. I am aiming to run the trail 1-2 times a week through the summer as I really think it helps with those stabilizer muscles and it helps me keep a nice easy pace. While I will happily run in the rain, I don't do the trail in the rain or for a day or 2 after because it gets pretty muddy. I have trail shoes but I need to wear my road shoes because I have a fair bit of concrete to run on before and after the trail section and I feel the impact of the road too much in my trail shoes. Having a little breeze felt good and I saw my trail friend and his dog.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,935 Member
    Fantastic race @martaindale ! Awesome pace! You could definitely kill your PR in good race conditions.

@polskagirl01 I hope your hip/back is feeling better today. Good for you to get out and do what you could.

@Teresa502 That sounds like an awesome trip. Too bad it looks like you won't be able to meet up with @Mari33a . Sounds like a great run this morning. And, yes, we did need that rain!

@Scott6255 You did great to get in over 6 miles when your body was not wanting to cooperate.

@eleanorhawkins The backtrack function sounds pretty cool. I don't think my watch has that, but may. I really haven't explored all it can do yet. I'm glad you use the tracking function. That would make me feel better about running in unfamiliar territory or ones like you described that could be treacherous.

Nice running @martaindale . Glad you saw your trail friend and his dog.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,697 Member
    I ran 5 miles in my neighborhood this morning and walked 1.12 as a cool down. Lovely running weather. 59F and partly cloudy. Even the 90% humidity level didn't feel so bad.
  • SwimBikeRun_Mom
    SwimBikeRun_Mom Posts: 46 Member
    @7lenny7 Great workout!!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,046 Member
    @SwimBikeRun_Mom You may be the first person I have known who ranks the sections that way! I know so many runners that started biking for cross training than ended up doing a triathlon. Most of them say the swim is the hardest part. It would be for me too.
  • martaindale
    @7lenny7 Good work on your speed workout. I have the same problem with garmin and the average pace thing. I wish the refresh on the pace was faster. Once I have been doing a certain workout/pace for a few runs I can kind of tell if I am in the ballpark. But those first few runs I am sort of guessing and the watch pace isn't really any help.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,468 Member
    edited May 2022
    Oh, and I broke out a new pair of shoes for my run, Saucony Triumph. It's my first time wearing this model for a run. I think these will do well for long runs but there's more cushion than I like for speedwork. I'll have to look through my stable to see what I have for speed work. I might use my Altra Ones or my Nike Free RN Motion FK blah blah blah...whatever the ridiculous long full name is.

@martaindale nicely done on your 10K! and just 1 second away from PR, ARGGGHHH!!! Still, it's gotta feel good to get that close when you weren't going for it. You'll definitely get it next time. Enjoy your time in hill country. That's an area I hope to visit some time.

@polskagirl01 hope the niggle and tightness go away soon.

@quilteryoyo I sent my son off on a hike yesterday on our nearby trails. He said he saw a really cool bird, looked it up and identified it as a Lazuli Bunting. Well I looked it up and if he saw that, it would have been a very rare occurrence based on its range. I have my doubts, but I didn't say anything.

@SwimBikeRun_Mom way to go on your 1:20 run! Nice job working up the paces.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,935 Member
    Great job on the early morning run @Teresa502 .

Those are great splits @SwimBikeRun_Mom !

Great run @7lenny7 ! When I do speedwork I go by feel and not what my Garmin says, but I am not as advanced a runner as you. The delay in telling you your pace and HR does make it hard to find the "right" pace. Of course, my plan is more about HR and not a particular pace. I had to look up that bunting. It looks sort of like another fairly common bird around here, can't recall which one right off the top of my head. Probably good not to burst your son's bubble on finding it.

@martaindale Glad you had better weather for your run this morning than you expected. "Enjoy" your runs in the hill country. Sounds like you are doing great with your plan too.
    I get round that problem by just running as fast as I can manage without dying or puking lol
    Hahahaha I basically do this too! Good luck with your race this weekend. What is the distance?

Big Congratulations @polskagirl01 ! That is so awesome!

Welcome @gmiller725 ! You have found a great, very supportive, running community.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,425 Member
    8.2 miles this morning. Awesome weather. Felt so much better than Tuesday. Didn't want to stop.

exercise.png
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @quilteryoyo they say its 17km, which is something like 10.5 miles if my runner's maths is any good, with somewhere between 500 and 600 metres of elevation (dunno what that is in 'Merican!). So not as much as the longer mountain races I've done, but not a walk through the park either.
    I rinsed my trail shoes this morning and was shocked to find that the sole of one looks almost new, while the other is trashed. I'm hoping the shoes are just faulty and it isn't that I'm heavily favouring one leg and probably causing all sorts of damage, but rather worried that the worn shoe is the side of the leg that often bothers me. Sent the evil physio a photo, and he asked if I'd been riding a scooter and using that foot to brake with!! Photo on my feed if anyone is interested or might have any insights (can't get onto the boards from my phone, which is what I took it with). I raced to check my old trail shoes, and my road shoes, and the wear on those seemsn pretty much the same on both feet, so either the shoes are dodgy or it's a relatively new thing I'm doing wrong.
    Frustrating as I would have liked to get at least another 75 miles out of the shoes, but I guess I'll have to get into new ones and see what happens. Now the question, of course, is do I dare wear brand new shoes for the race on Sunday, or do I wear the old ones and pray I don't need much grip for my left foot :-/
  • martaindale
    @eleanorhawkins That's so weird about the wear on your shoes. I'd bet it's a faulty shoe if none of your others look like that. It takes time to cause that much wear unless you were scooter braking!
    Did those shoes need a break-in period? Can you still find them? Normally I would be very team nothing new on race day, but I have worn a pair of shoes of the same make and model with just a few miles on them for a race day. The style was one I knew never needed to be broken in so I felt comfortable they wouldn't give me any problems. Not ideal, but if you're worried about the grip on the left side, maybe it's an option.
  • martaindale
    @polskagirl01 That’s awesome! Congrats on doing so well! #3 female in such a tough race is such a cool accomplishment.

@gmiller725 Welcome! Are you following any sort of a plan to get yourself up and running? This group will do nothing but encourage you so jump right in and let us know how things are going!

@scott6255 Wasn’t the weather awesome this morning!? I didn’t really check the lows in the forecast when I packed so I ended up only having shorts and sports bras and it was 56 F when I went out this morning! Honestly felt awesome and I have gotten totally comfortable in no shirt now, so whatever.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @eleanorhawkins That's so weird about the wear on your shoes. I'd bet it's a faulty shoe if none of your others look like that. It takes time to cause that much wear unless you were scooter braking!
    Did those shoes need a break-in period? Can you still find them? Normally I would be very team nothing new on race day, but I have worn a pair of shoes of the same make and model with just a few miles on them for a race day. The style was one I knew never needed to be broken in so I felt comfortable they wouldn't give me any problems. Not ideal, but if you're worried about the grip on the left side, maybe it's an option.

It is very weird, I've emailed the maker (and the online store I bought them from) with photos asking them about it. Admittedly they were coming towards the end of their useful running life anyway but if they're faulty maybe the guarantee would cover a discount on a new pair or something. Worth a try... but mostly I just want to know if it's the shoe or if it's me.
    I have another pair waiting to be brought in, funnily enough I was thinking of bringing them into rotation after the race. They will be my third pair of the same shoe, so it's not as if I'd be trying something completely new, but when they're brand new I feel a bit like a drag queen trying out platforms for the first time, so racing with them straight out of the box might not be the best idea in the world. Having said that, Evil Coach number 1 took a pair of the same shoe (Hoka Speedgoats) out of the box and ran (and won) a 100 mile ultra in them! Maybe I'll pack both pairs, take a walk in the new ones on Saturday and decide on Sunday morning which to use. Shame they're not the same colour or I could wear the old one that's ok and the new one on the dodgy foot LOL.