5/20: 2.21 miles
    5/21: 2.06 miles
    5/22: 10.01 miles
    5/23: 5.10 miles
    5/24: 1.11 miles
    5/25: 5.50 miles
    5/26: 6.02 miles

122.97/100 miles completed for May

I haven't posted in a few days. And I need to go back and catch up on what everyone has been up to.

It wasn't stormy Tuesday morning so I ran 1 mile for my streak. It was warmer and more humid than Monday so even though it wasn't stormy the weather wasn't as nice as Monday was and I was glad I switched Monday's and Tuesday's runs.

Yesterday I ran 5.5 miles. It was about 55°F and almost chilly. The wind was from the NW and felt a little cold. Especially for May. But it was a pretty nice run.

I don't think it could possibly have been any nicer this morning. I didn't get out until 5:45 and it was already starting to get light. The moon was gorgeous and I could see Venus and I think Mars and Saturn or maybe it was Jupiter, I am never really sure, but it was beautiful. It was 53°F with a dew point of 48° and a light 5 mph wind. I sometimes like running in the dark when the stars are shining, but I really love running in the early morning light before the sun is fully up but the sky is blue. I wanted to just run forever today and ended up going 6 miles. I ran by to see Sunny the Donkey and she was out in the yard. There were some ducks there today too. And some chickens. I have seen the chickens there before, but I think the ducks are new. I also saw a bird flying over the creek near the park. It looked like a great blue heron which have seen in that area before, but it was black. I really didn't want to have to go home and get ready for work this morning, but I did.

My kids are coming in for the weekend. It's my husband's birthday tomorrow plus Memorial Day weekend. I am hoping to at least be able to get a mile each day so I don't lose my streak this close to the end.

exercise.png

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited May 2022
    @eleanorhawkins That's almost 2,000 feet of elevation. That's pretty steep for 10 miles. Interesting about the shoes. Maybe the shoes wearing like that unnoticed is what has made your knee/leg feel wonky and not the other way around. Not sure what I would do about new shoes for the race though. That will be up to you.

Nice running @martaindale ! Glad you got your internet fixed so quickly.

Great running @kgirlhart . Maybe Sunny has company for Memorial Day too. :wink: Happy Birthday to your DH! Enjoy the visit from the kids.
  • quilteryoyo
    I haven't been posting my runs/walks. Just haven't had the time and energy at the end of the day, but I am following the plan fairly closely and getting in at least a mile everyday of something to continue my streak. Today was supposed to be hill repeats, but it had been raining, so my driveway can be slick. I opted for a treadmill session, but wasn't sure how 30 sec hill runs would work with having to raise and lower the incline. So, I did intervals instead, a bit faster than I normally would. I ran 5 min @4.3 mph, 5 min @4.5 mph, 6x(30 sec @7.0 mph/90 sec @4.0 mph walk), 5:48 @4.3 mph to make 2.1 miles. It wasn't horrible, so probably could have pushed the speed a little more, but I was afraid to try it. I figure every outdoor run here involves hills, so missing hill repeats isn't really going to hurt anything.

I'm only at 52 miles/70 mile goal, so am not going to come close. But, I'm still happy with that because I had one week I wasn't feeling well and didn't run at all.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @quilteryoyo you are so amazingly good at making sure you do something, even when most people wouldn't bother. From what I understand, hill repeats are really just another form of intervals with a lower risk of injury so I wouldn't think it matters that much which you do, especially when you have plenty of hills on your usual runs anyway. If you ran somewhere completely flat and never ran a hill maybe it would matter more, but not the case.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member
    @quilteryoyo you are so amazingly good at making sure you do something, even when most people wouldn't bother. From what I understand, hill repeats are really just another form of intervals with a lower risk of injury so I wouldn't think it matters that much which you do, especially when you have plenty of hills on your usual runs anyway. If you ran somewhere completely flat and never ran a hill maybe it would matter more, but not the case.

@eleanorhawkins I agree, @quilteryoyo is inspiring with her commitment and her consistency.
    @martaindale enjoy your time with in the country and good luck with the plants!

7.5 miles last night, which puts me over my goal for May. It was in the 50F's and probably the last cool run for a while.

My plan called for 3 to 4 x 2 miles at tempo interval pace with a 4 minute recovery. I decided to back that off to 3x1.5 miles at desired HM pace (8:00). I felt like crap during the warm up and almost decided to make it an easy run, but then I figured I should at least try. My first interval was tough but I managed 8:13 pace, though I did cut it short at 1.25 miles. That gave me a longer recovery. Second interval was 8:04, again just for 1.25 miles. I decided to really push the last interval and go the full 1.5 miles at 8:00 or under, but soon after starting I got that stomach gurgling cramping which made me pull up completely and decide to bag the rest of the run and just trot it back home. I also was feeling a minor twinge in my right calf.

I'm starting to realize that the difference between my HM PR of 1:51 and change is quite a bit different than my goal of 1:45:00. Nearly 30 seconds per mile difference from a body which probably isn't as fit as it was when I did the PR. I may back off my goal and go for 1:50:00. In the end, whatever happens happens. I'll race by HR when the time comes.

Now we're off to stay on the boat for the long weekend. One son and his girl friend will join us starting tomorrow and the other son and his girl friend will join starting Sunday. No wind in the forecast today so just as well no one will be there but us this afternoon. My wife will be working on getting the boat presentable so I'm going to stop to go trail running and do my long run today. Hoping for trail runs today and Monday on the way home, with shorter road runs Saturday and Sunday. I normally don't run much, if at all, on sailing weekends but with a 50 mile race on the schedule in September, that will have to change this year.

axenlna80b37.jpg

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,780 Member
    everyone put your wetsuits and googles on (fins if you got em!) we are about to leave Japan and start the long swim across the Pacific Ocean.

Interesting reads this month. Enjoying all the differing data and experiences.

I am up to 106.11 miles this month out of I forget my goal... oops.
  • quilteryoyo
    My tennis for this morning was cancelled due to one of the older ladies having back issues. We probably won't play next week either. I didn't have to be at work until noon, so I got up early enough to get my run this morning. The schedule called for a 30 min recovery run....I read it wrong and thought it was 25 min, so that is what I did. I aimed to keep my HR between 120 and 128 bpm. For the first 10:51 min it was actually below 120, stayed 123 or below until 19:43 min in and then bounced between 128 and 130 until 25:06 min and then went on up and down a beat or two, topping out at 132 bpm. I felt that was great, considering my paces and the fact that I wasn't feeling the run this morning. I ran a ladder from 4.3 - 4.5 - 4.3 mph for 5 minutes at each level . Total run was 27:18 min and 2.00 miles for an average pace of 4.4 mph (13:39 min/mile). I also walked a total of 0.70 mph for warm up and cool down at 3.8 mph.

@SummerSkier Great mileage for the month. I noticed that we are heading out into the great open waters. I'm not a strong swimmer, so may hold us back a bit. :wink:

@AlphaHowls You are doing great. I don't know how you run so much with strained ankles. You are an animal.

Great running @martaindale ! Glad you are enjoying the hill country and getting your runs in.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,052 Member
    @Scott6255 I would love to hear what you think of the ucan after a few uses. I know I will need to tweak my nutrition a bit as I get into marathon training and was looking at the ucan as a preworkout. I get blood sugar crashes so it seemed like it could be a good option for me for longer runs.

@marisap2010 Sorry to hear the fatigue is hitting you so hard. I hope you feel better soon.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,387 Member
    edited May 2022
    Hi All - I am way, way behind. Have been running and will post a run update later.
    I get a newsletter from the SF Marathon and there was an article that I thought you all would enjoy. Ultra runner Mike Wardian is running across the US. He started on May 1st in San Francisco and expects it to take a bit over 2 months to complete. You can follow his progress on Facebook and Strava. Don't know if his route will come near any of us but you can sign up to run with him if he is close to where you are...
    Article is here

ETA - did you happen to see the Emily Sisson broke the American HM record at the USATF Championships? She finished in 1:07:11!! I can't even imagine being able to run a HM that fast!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,052 Member
    @shanaber I have been following Mike Wardian's progress on Instagram. I can't even fathom doing that. He is currently on 27 of mostly 50+ mile days. It's insane!!

And, no I can not imaging ever being able to run a HM that fast. Super impressive! That's pretty close to my first 10k time.
  • quilteryoyo
    Nice run @Scott6255 . I'm going to have to do better with nutrition during my runs once I start running longer ones again. I'm sure that was my issue during my half last year. I just never got it dialed in during my training runs.

@marisap2010 Hugs to you. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. I hope the fatigue goes away quickly.

@martaindale Yeah for cloud cover for your run AND for finding a new trail to try.

@shanaber I'll have to check out the link later. That's a lot of miles a day for 2 months. @AlphaHowls could do it though. As for the HM @martaindale . That is faster than I have ever ran a 10K. So speedy.

@kgirlhart Nice running and glad you are getting to spend this time with your kids.

@shanaber I'm glad you didn't seriously injure your shoulder again, or anything else for that matter. :wink: So cool that you saw the bald eagle and love the pictures you were able to get. They are very rare in my neck of the woods, but they have released some at the "local" lakes. It is a real treat if you catch of glimpse of one. Glad your weather is good right now and you are able to get out for some nice run/walks.