For those who have lost and gained and are losing again (what I've learned)

Options

Replies

• 1961Fowler
    1961Fowler Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow - wise words that still apply. I look forward to reading the threads. Thank you for this info and advice.
  • teamhugcpt
    teamhugcpt Posts: 24 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    5. I am not a pusher, an all-or-nothing-er, a 100%-er. I like to do things as lazily as I can while still meeting my goals. I am pro at moderation, and I require it.

THIS. Seriously, find a way to fit that on a (cute fitted) tee shirt and I will buy it!
  • cstatdixon
    cstatdixon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I badly needed to hear this! This is the best post I've read here. Thank you.
  • BexB42
    BexB42 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! It is good to see others lose gain lose... I am at an all time high weight looking at health issues if I do not act on this. I like your lists! I will take from this, and ty again for sharing! :)
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Are you still around? I have a very similar story, and wondered where you are at now.
    Started at 225, went to 130, maintained,and the creep over the last 2 years has me back at 165.
  • PennyLorraine
    PennyLorraine Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the best post I've read. Thank you! Good advice.

I had lost 52 pounds several years ago and have now gained back about half of it. I want to relose it, and your post had some very helpful insights.

Thank you!

Penny
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    This was a needed read today. Back in 2011-2012, I lost 85 lbs, but a series of stressful events led me to regain all it and more. I tried a couple of half-hearted attempts since then to lose again, but I've finally gotten to the point where it's all about taking care of the total me and not just the weight. Thanks for your words of inspiration!
  • 363days
    363days Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My character affirmations....
    I am the kind of person that:

Never
    • Never harms myself with food.
    • Never eats heavily processed foods, they prevent my body from absorbing vital nutrients, cause inflammation, and increase my risk for heart disease and diabetes.
    • Never eats processed or refined sugars, they are nutrient deficient, cause inflammation, and increase my risk for heart disease and diabetes.
    • Never eats “Pig Slop.” “Pig Slop” is defined as heavily processed, highly engineered, extremely addictive, “Franken (pseudo) foods,” full of sugar, unhealthy fat, and or salt.
    • Never listens to “The Pig” in my brain. “The Pig” is the primal center of the brain commonly referred to as the amygdala. “The Pig” likes to eat pig slop, and pig slop goes in a pig trough, and I don’t eat “Pig Slop” or eat out of a pig trough or listen to “The Pig” because pigs are farm animals and have no idea what is good for me.
    • Never listens to “Pig Squeal!” “Pig Squeal” is the negative counterproductive thoughts in my brain, coming from “The Pig.”
    • Never buffers my feelings or emotions. Using alternative coping skills such as taking a walk, listening to a podcast, or creating a checklist are much healthier ways of dealing with feelings and emotions.
    • Never needs to recover from eating a meal.
    • Never eats more than two servings of fruit or nuts per day.
    • Never eats more than one teaspoon of Stevia per day.
    • Never eats beef more than 3 times in a week.

Always
    1. Always uses the present moment to be healthy.
    2. Always treats myself with patience and love.
    3. Always fails forward by learning and growing from my experiences.
    4. Always loves my friends and family unconditionally.
    5. Always treats others as I would like them to treat me.
    6. Always allows people to judge me, have an opinion about me, and not like me.
    7. Always gives myself permission to be vulnerable and trust others.
    8. Always allows myself to experience my feelings and emotions without buffering. Buffering is the act of suppressing your feelings by eating or using some other activity to avoid the feelings or emotions.v
    9. Always gives myself permission to be hungry and use my excess fat as energy.
    10. Always gives myself permission to stop eating and listen for my fullness signal.
    11. Always gives myself permission to fast for at least 12 hours daily
    12. Always eats as many servings of raw Non-Starchy Vegetables as I desire.
    13. Always commits 100% to myself, to my goals, & to my dreams!
    14. Always drinks 16 ounces of water and waits 5 minutes before eating snacks or second helpings of food.

Thank you for providing this list. I found that while I was reading through it, I started feeling more comfortable and relaxed. It is helpful to me to have something long like this, rather than just a couple of affirmations, because it mentally pulls me away from my wrong thinking where as a couple will not do that. I am listening to the interview now and learning a lot. Great stuff.
  • dblirondog
    dblirondog Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow how amazing, just what I needed to read this fine morning! Thank you!
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with stevia? I grow it and eat it as a sugar alternative, and the hubby has diabetes so sugar is out of the question.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    That's a big part of life, just learning how to cope healthily.

Still love this post.
  • allieberri
    allieberri Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi all, new to this post but I like it.
    Honesty is helpful.
    I don't got this either. My eating issues started as a child - didn't know it until I was an adult working on other things. As a teen - was bulimic; as a adult - binge eater.
    I still am not able to understand when I am tired and need sleep; when I am stressed and need comfort (not a 'treat'). Trying to learn what comfort is and give myself permission to stop working and sleep when I need it.
    Anyone - ideas for comfort????
  • allieberri
    allieberri Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! So glad to hear that you are making progress, and hang in there. I am eating radishes as a snack as I write. The radishes slow me down magnificently. They are hot but I like them. They are neither sweet or salty so they don't tweak my brain.
    I am done with the yo-yo. I am going to think about this differently. I am going to take care of me and not feel guilty. I am taking it one day at a time - today - it feels like one moment at a time, but, I am going to keep marching ahead.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    allieberri wrote: »
    I am taking it one day at a time - today - it feels like one moment at a time, but, I am going to keep marching ahead.

Powerful post. I hope today is a good one.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!