I Beg You......PROVE ME WRONG!!!!

Options
In this case I am asking you to prove me wrong, I have some pretty harsh statements and I need real live facts to help me squash these theories. I want the fat voices in my head to "shut the front door":

1. 89% of people who have posted pictures on here have been at thier goal weight at one point in time in their adult life, or highschool aged (don't know what to call that) life. So it's kind of like its a do-over. They've been there once, they know they can do it, and they did it again. Big whoop.

2. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight (I'm going to say 50lbs or more) cannot be single and have kids.

3. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight spends a majority of thier day exercising.

4. 75% of women on MFP have their calories set at 1200 intentionally, even if MFP calculated them at 1600-1700 etc.

5. The average amount of time to lose weight and keep it off is longer than what is on here. I.e. losing 30lbs in 3 months is one of two things, someone who is very large to start with, or someone who exercises no less than 5 -6 days a week.

6. If you are relatively healthy, but just carry a significant amount (say 30-50lbs) of extra weight, it's harder for you to see results than someone who is not relatively healthy (meaning hdl, ldl, cholesterol, bp all in line)

Let's start with these.
*Remember, these are the fat voices in my head that I'm fighting*

Replies

• xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    I have never been at my goal weight so bang goes theory no 1 :) xx
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Where did you even get those statements???

I don't have a factual basis from which I can say "you are wrong," but I'm still going to, lol.

The voices are wrong, plain and simple. Cheer up, you can do it!
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    BUMP! No comment but I am curious to see what others say
  • twinlikeme
    twinlikeme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    4. 75% of women on MFP have their calories set at 1200 intentionally, even if MFP calculated them at 1600-1700 etc.

Mine is set for 1360, random I know, but I always exercise and end up eating about 1400-1500. I like those extra calories! I like food! :) I'm not going to temporarily give myself an extra calorie deficit. It will only hurt me in the long run.
  • jeff261159
    Options
    I can dispel 3. I have lost 70 lbs since Christmas 2010. I spend all day, 5 days a week on my back side, drivin a truck!!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i think there is a lot of truth in there.....but I hope to prove at least some of them wrong by losing more than 40lbs!!!

Number one is only true for me before I had my two kids......since the second one came along I haven't got close to my goal weight.
  • surabhit
    surabhit Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't fall into most of these categories, but these are the 'you can do this' voices talking in my head :)

1. Not everyone's been at their goal weight. For people who are obese, it's been a long journey to that big weight issue, and it's an even longer one down. It's very hard to pick a 'goal' weight especially if it's thinner than you've ever been but let your ideal image of yourself dictate that. It's not impossible! Nothing is.

2. A LOT of people on here are single and have kids. If not, they're single and have 12-16hour a day jobs.

3. NOPE! I exercise for an hour every evening (regardless of what time I get home from work) and I burn an average of 500-600 calories if I do a good x-trainer and weights round.

4. I set mine at 'lose 2 pounds' and it said 1200. I stuck with it. Well I try to.

5. This has been true for me. I've lost much slower than my 'prediction' and I'm sure there's a lot of factors contributing to that. I'm not consistent with my exercise all the time, and I eat what I want but just less. I'm not doing the 'super healthy' diet that a lot of others are.

6. Quite the opposite. If your body's healthy you have a higher chance of building your metabolism and getting healthier! You'd lose faster than an unhealthy person.

Hence proved. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    In this case I am asking you to prove me wrong, I have some pretty harsh statements and I need real live facts to help me squash these theories. I want the fat voices in my head to "shut the front door":

1. 89% of people who have posted pictures on here have been at thier goal weight at one point in time in their adult life, or highschool aged (don't know what to call that) life. So it's kind of like its a do-over. They've been there once, they know they can do it, and they did it again. Big whoop.

2. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight (I'm going to say 50lbs or more) cannot be single and have kids.

3. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight spends a majority of thier day exercising.

5. The average amount of time to lose weight and keep it off is longer than what is on here. I.e. losing 30lbs in 3 months is one of two things, someone who is very large to start with, or someone who exercises no less than 5 -6 days a week.

6. If you are relatively healthy, but just carry a significant amount (say 30-50lbs) of extra weight, it's harder for you to see results than someone who is not relatively healthy (meaning hdl, ldl, cholesterol, bp all in line)

Let's start with these.

1. Most likely, yes
    2. B/S, I am sure there are plenty single parents that have lost a significant amount of weight. You just have to make you a priority. If you are not healthy you will be less able to take care of others.
    3. B/S, losing weight does not require any exercise (weight loss is 80% diet, 10% exercise, 10% genetics, Tosca Reno) All you need to do is watch what you eat and you will lose (exercise has other benefits and I think everyone should exercise, but it is not necessary for weight loss)
    4. I disagree here. I think a lot of women are set at 1200 as that is what MFP gave them, the issue is that their goal is probably too aggressive and they should be aiming for 1 lb/week instead of 2, based on their stats and goals. Like the responder above me, with the amount she has to lose (less than 15 lbs) she should not have a goal set to lose more than 0.5lbs/week or she will risk burning muscle instead of fat, a 2 lb/week goal is only a good goal when someone has 75+ lbs to lose.
    5.Again exercise has very little to do with weight loss but, yes it should be slower than 10lbs/month (2-10 would be ideal depending on their current stats and goals)
    6. Not sure, but I don't think so.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    1. My goal weight is 170, I have never seen that number....I mean I'm sure growing up I was there at one point, but by the time I was in highschool I was already over 200 lbs.

2. Lots of my friends on here have kids and have lost tons of weight (over 100 lbs)

3. I think you will lose weight quicker if you exercise, but you don't have too. This is about a lifestyle change though, to become more healthy and exercising is a part of that.

4. I've only seen a couple women with their calories set that low....and they are 1) super short and skinny already, 2) have an eating disorder, 3) think this is some magic number told to them by society, and probably aren't here fora lifestyle change.

5. The rate at which I lose weight is only a little different when I do or don't exercise.Losing 30 lbs in 3 months in completely attainable for anyone.

6. Wea are losing weight using a calorie defecit method, not dependant on whose healthiest. If you have a 1000 calorie deficit everyday,you will lose weight even if you don't need to.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I've lost 34 lbs and do not spend the majority of my day exercising. I only workout, strength training, 3x a week for 25-35 minutes. The rest of my time is spent in a chair in my office.. or on a couch at home.
  • GoyaMommy13
    GoyaMommy13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i've never been at my goal weight in my adult life. i haven't been this weight since like 6th grade.

i workout 4-5 days a week about 30-45 mins each workout.

and i do have it at 1200 calories but i can't get passed this weight...i'm mad. so i may have to change that one.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    How often do you live the rest of your life based on statistics? Why let some numbers "rule" you...why not be the exception?
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options

RESPONSES EMBEDDE IN CAPS FOR CLARITY.....

TRUE, BUT I WAS IN MY TEENS, WHICH WAS 35 YEARS AGO

DOESN'T APPLY (I'M AT 41 LBS) BUT TRUE NONETHELESS

UNTRUE, MY EXERCISE IS MOSTLY WALKING, AND I SIMPLY WOULDN'T HAVE THE TIME TO MAKE IT A MAJORITY EXERCISE

UNTRUE. I LOST 40 LBS IN 15 WEEKS, HAVEN'T PUT AN OUNCE BACK ON, YET I WASN'T MASSIVE TO START WITH, NEITHER DO I EXERCISE EVERY DAY

ALSO UNTRUE.

Let's start with these.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    I don't fall into most of these categories, but these are the 'you can do this' voices talking in my head :)

1. Not everyone's been at their goal weight. For people who are obese, it's been a long journey to that big weight issue, and it's an even longer one down. It's very hard to pick a 'goal' weight especially if it's thinner than you've ever been but let your ideal image of yourself dictate that. It's not impossible! Nothing is.

2. A LOT of people on here are single and have kids. If not, they're single and have 12-16hour a day jobs.

3. NOPE! I exercise for an hour every evening (regardless of what time I get home from work) and I burn an average of 500-600 calories if I do a good x-trainer and weights round.

4. I set mine at 'lose 2 pounds' and it said 1200. I stuck with it. Well I try to.

5. This has been true for me. I've lost much slower than my 'prediction' and I'm sure there's a lot of factors contributing to that. I'm not consistent with my exercise all the time, and I eat what I want but just less. I'm not doing the 'super healthy' diet that a lot of others are.

6. Quite the opposite. If your body's healthy you have a higher chance of building your metabolism and getting healthier! You'd lose faster than an unhealthy person.

Hence proved. :)

Like^^

I will add that MFP did set 1200 as my calorie allowance, I haven't tampered with it, just eat back my exercise cals(or at least 50%) of them.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    I will prove many of your theories wrong.

I have my calories set at 1400, I've lost over 90 lbs. I am not at my goal weight and I do not exercise every day and do not spend a great deal of time in my day exercising...generally 3 days a week 45min to an hour at most.

I am also in a group of women that have already got the odds against them because I have had a hysterectomy and I'm only in my mid 30's. And I'm not on replacement hormones.

Don't know why you have developed these theories...I can only guess that you are thinking you are incapable of making a significant change in your life. However, I will tell you...I too thought I could never make significant changes in my life and yet I have. AND....I've made changes in the lives of those around me!

I may have to be patient and let my body slowly shed these last 20 lbs...but because of my lifestyle change, I now have a lifetime to do it. In the mean time, I'm healthy and I will continue to be healthy!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can dispel 3. I have lost 70 lbs since Christmas 2010. I spend all day, 5 days a week on my back side, drivin a truck!!

congratulatons! I'm impressed.

I do think there is a tread of truth to many of the statements she makes - HOWEVER I want to prove her wrong :bigsmile:
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i haven't been my goal weight since i was 13, and i know a lot of people my age on here who were heavy all thruout high school, so no to number 1. can't comment on the others till i lose more weight D:
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    Oh...and I've never been at my "goal weight"
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I was thin at one time. Might be something to this.

I don't have any kids, but I am married. Can't answer accurately.

No, absolutely not. Once I hit 40, I was not able to lose significant weight till I dieted properly.

Maybe, but i haven't looked to closesly at women't diaries. .

No, but I was 5 10' and at about 230. Maybe that is large? I lost almost 30 just walking for the first few months and then switched ot Yoga which really isn't high impact. It really is about caloric/nutritional intake.

Hmmm... maybe. I already had decent muslce mass under the fat, so I might have had an advantage. People noticed the change once I hit 20lbs, but I really show in the face.

Let's start with these.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options

Let's start with these.

1) That was kind of me - I was at my goal weight in high school; however, back then I could eat anything I wanted and not gain anything. It's a completely different situation for me.
    2) I am not single and I do not have kids, but my plan was to get healthy before having children - this will make it easier to lose the weight after giving birth.
    3) I exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes 3-5 times a week; the maximum is an hour and a half...not nearly the whole day.
    4) I was calculated at 1200, so this does not apply to me.
    5) I am down 60lbs in 7 months & exercise 3-5 times a week (I started at roughly 200lbs).
    6) This is possible, but was not my situation. I was having fast food for lunch and sometimes dinner every day.

I wish you the best of luck!