WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2022

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Love reading that Katla! DH is right there with you. ahhhhh... good times.

Boy, the humidity is just swamping out the entire US right now! Our ticks and skeeters aren't too bad this year, they say, Lisa. Grateful for that, but we NEED the rain so bad. My cousin has Lyme's from a bite years ago and it's just debilitating. He ended up retiring at like 40... I think.

Love ya, Carla, in MN

I had chronic Lyme's 5 years ago. It took 3 years of treatment and I would recommend our homeopathic Dr up here in Walker. He uses electromagnetic acupuncture to identify the bacterium associated with Lyme's. Then depending on what body system that is being attacked will determine the medication prescribed. Technique for treatment is from Germany that has battled it decades before US. He treats people from all over the US. His treatment has helped many people I know and have referred to him.

💞 Mary from Arizona/ Minnesota
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,878 Member
    Options
    👽❤️🌵🥵🏜🔆🛸
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Would love to join here. I am back on MFP after a looong hiatus. I am refocusing my energies on me. My Daughter (and only child) who has been my main focus for 18 years is entering University in a few weeks and I am working on forging better habits to cope with the "Empty Nest" sadness I know I am going to go through. Would love suggestions on how to work though this without turning to food for comfort.

Anita

Welcome Anita! Empty nest syndrome is a doozy. I think exercise helps with the processing of loneliness. I have two overseas sailors and writing to them helps me focus on the positives. I don't write sad letters. I might me sad when I write them, but I don't translate it into words. That act though, helps me to put into perspective my situation, and their lives. That act of writing is a place to "put" my sadness. College kids are quite different then military kids. You will have access to yours via text, or phone whereas I can only hear from mine when they choose to connect with me. Count your blessings!💖👍🙏
    If your daughter is at a university far away, sending boxes with a bit of home is good therapy for you. My boxes have so much love baked in them, and packed in there, I swear! Lol.
    My words to you. Acclimate, adjust and adapt. Just as your daughter will grow at univ, so must you. Change is emotionally messy, but necessary, for growth.👍
    Plan out your meals. My husband is famous for lists. So I make what's on the lists, no silly phrase, "what should I make for dinner" nonsense! Buy treats. But don't buy crap. Good quality chocolate, the cheese you love, the perfect cracker with your favorite humus sort of thing. Treat yourself well. I buy food that delights my palete, not just fills my pie hole. So no diet foods, just less processed, more local, good brands you trust. For me its Tillamook dairy products here in Pacific Northwest. Just opening their cubes of butter make me happy. I pre cut them into tablespoons and put in a plastic container. Getting a T of butter and saute an onion is an easy thing.
    Nice to meet you!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I listened to a talk yesterday about how one of the sources of happiness is self-respect and how good it feels to be proud of yourself. I've been eating cookies and candy, which lead to self-disrespect. So I am going to try harder to eat things I can be proud of. That should feed my overall happiness.

No surprises there, but it felt worth sharing.

Annie in Delaware

I have noticed for me when I buy a good quality cookie, (like a fig newton) and not an overly sweet one, it satisfies the "I need a cookie" thing. Same with a good quality chocolate bar. The 80% cacao bars satisfy the "I need chocolate" urges. I have been buying the mochi with ice cream in the middle. One ball is all I do at a time. It has sweet rice (mochi) and ice cream in the middle. I especially like the mango ice cream flavored ones! If I buy these treats I am less likely to eat them all in one sitting, because they're mine, no sharing, no sneaking, no regrets. Its not a reward type thing, I just eat them after my meals. I know before I used to buy crappy candy, cheap cookies in huge bags, and I would eat more volumes. I felt awful. Now I pig out on good food, and eat the sweet things after with a cup of coffee.
    Hugs!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    Katla--So glad that your DH is with you.

Barbie--Thanks for the new start for a new month. Good Luck at the eye doctor.

Tracey--Great job on the china hutch. It looks so bright and new. I like the idea of crystal knobs. Sorry to hear you have Covid. I tested this morning as have a cough and sore throat, but was neg. Please take care and gets lots of rest.

Karen--Love the new picture. Cardinal in Flight fits.

School is starting here Aug 11 for the younger ones and Aug 17th for the older ones. Problem is then when it is really hot they let them out early and working parents have to figure that out. I remember when my boys were young they didn't start until after Labor Day.

Machka--The rose analogy makes me think, Thanks

Going to be another hot one today. I am so grateful to be working in AC and when DH picks me up the car is cool. I am just a little spoiled.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE where we could sure use some rain. B)<3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,762 Member
    Options
    Tracey - Hope you enjoy your covid 'vacation'. Don't be surprised if you feel a bit tired and low even when you are 'over' the covid. It will pass eventually if you take lots of rest. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

Thanks Heather. Tiredness is what made me test again last evening. I never nap and had a nap when I got home from work. I think I’ll just putter as I am able to.

Tracey
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Im back from watching mr Miles,its 90 ,but not humid that will be coming in Tomorrow and it will be 98 and humid.
    Heat and I dont get along lol. Give me fall in New England any day of the week.
    Alfie was playing rough and bit through the skin on my arm,not on purpose but because of the blood thinners i cleaned it off and put a band aide on it..
    Miles has cut his 4th tooth so now he has one on the top that popped through.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/yogi- 1hr 52min 25sec, 120elev, 3.51ap, 102ahr, 162mhr, 6.60mi= 581c
    Strava app = 752c
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,415 Member
    Options
    Tracey - Hope you feel better soon... take care of yourself. :*
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We are in our RV at our daughter’s home watching a thunder and lightning storm across the way. It has been noisy & both sheet lightning and forked lightning strikes.

Katla in Illinois
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Machka-I love the rose! I have never seen that one.

Tracey-hope your Covid case is mild. This is your first case, correct? Given where you work I think that is terrific. For me I don't think it is a question of if I get Covid, but when. I'm happy to defer as long as possible.

Empty Nest-I honestly believe this hit my husband much more than me. While I miss my kids being around, it as exciting (although worrisome at times) watching them find their ways. Now they are more matured, and I am used to totally living alone-I'm fine if we just visit!

Very hot here today. Goy 2 mile walk in this am before logging on for work (work from home day), then when I clock out I walked a mile inside the house. Going to clean up kitchen and then head to ladies' group.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,203 Member
    Options
    Pip: Great idea on the PT. Hoping it comes through quickly.
    Heather: I hear you on hubby’s clothes. Mine has trouser and shirts galore. He has started winnowing them a little. Small steps.

I’m in packing mode today. The ferry is late tonight getting in to Liverpool at 6.30am. We should be in Oxford late afternoon.

☘️ Terri

I’m back and will get caught up tomorrow.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Just a quick checkin. <3

Been busy around here. When the weather finally cooled I was out mowing, more cleaning in DH's shop, cleaning in the house, getting caught up with walking. And moving along getting DH's truck ready to sell, more improvements/tree cleanup. Will be getting a small load of firewood this month and "chainsaw Charlie" will come remove and trim a few more trees to make mowing easier. Whew, lol.

Thinking a lot about Kylia. Sending positive vibes and hope she catches us up! I think about her every time I'm on that mower. Gosh I love it, it's like being on a fair ride. I can see why DH never taught me how to drive it until just before he passed, he was probably afraid I'd take over and he'd miss out on the fun.

Katla - I do miss those midwestern storms, sort of. Thunder and lightning! :) I am so very, very happy you and your husband are together with family near. And you still have your "coast house" when you need to see the mighty Columbia!

Tracey - hope your illness is mild. What's the word then on new possible job? Some delays?

Gotta go move the mower - battery is charged on the tractor, hopefully Charlie will be out tonight and get it running.

Lanette B)
    Sunny and cool SW WA State (rain tonight and tomorrow maybe!)

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
  • lacatgirl
    lacatgirl Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Lacatgirl, count me in as your cheerleader! I can do glorious mental cartwheels, but in actual what you'll see is me plowing my fat self in the grass, so I'll stick with my perfect mental ones deal? Just so you know, my goal weight is your dreaded mark! We are all on different parts of the same path. Some in maintenance, some just coasting along, and some struggling. Give yourself grace about it all. Don't get hung up about the scale. Use a more reliable measure, how you feel and how your clothes and jewelry fit. I mean sure you can use the scale, just use it as one of your many tools you have to measure success. But it doesn't measure failure. Its just a number. Don't let a number determine your worth. I get on the scale about every month or so. My relationship with the blasted thing is nicer. I used to want to hurl the thing out the window, or I'd rush to it really early in the morning like an addict hoping the number would make me happy. Now, I make me happy.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Thanks Rebecca! I will take your advice to heart!