60 yrs and up

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    MRaye803 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I have been on MFP before. I fell off the wagon so to say! But I’m back! I’m 66 and retired. Had some medical issues (gaining weight from my Meds). Thought tracking my food and getting active couldn’t hurt! Reading about other successes help so much! Hope everyone has a great week!

Welcome (back), @MRaye803!

I'm betting food tracking and increasing movement will indeed lead to positive things for you. Stop in here now and then, let us know how you're doing, if you feel like it, OK? And if you run into any challenges, this is a good place to chat about them, get ideas to try. Wishing you much success!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    Today, August 1st, is exactly one year since I started my weight loss journey. To date I have lost 79.2 lbs and have logged for 365 straight days. I feel so much better than I did one year ago. I move better, easier. My back no longer hurts. I have way more energy. Consistency has been so important for me.

What a great achievement!!! Congratulations!!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @ridiculous59. Thank you!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Today, August 1st, is exactly one year since I started my weight loss journey. To date I have lost 79.2 lbs and have logged for 365 straight days. I feel so much better than I did one year ago. I move better, easier. My back no longer hurts. I have way more energy. Consistency has been so important for me.

That is an awesome accomplishment, @Pdc654. Congratulations!
  • Pdc654
    @alteredsteve175 Thank you so much, Steve!
  • Pdc654
    @ridiculous59 Congrats on the NSV! It's so exhilarating to be able to do something you couldn't do before!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    No big news from my quarter, but I did go on fun group bike ride last night, short distance at an easy pace on our local university's campus, with a stop at the ice cream store near the end. A fun thing was that one of the participants brought her rabbit, Tribble, who rode behind the bike in a little screened cart, like people use for dogs or toddlers. He had a harness on, and his leash was clipped into the cart, too, for safety. At our ice cream break, he came out to wander around (still on his leash) as we ate our ice cream outdoors. He was a big hit with passers-by: He was super-fuzzy, friendly, very chill, and liked petting (even from strangers).

yyu6j41mrhnb.jpg

Apparently you can litter box train rabbits. I did not know that. Maybe that's what I'll get when I'm too old for Golden Retrievers and Border Collies!

I read on another post how much you enjoyed your ice cream :) I go kayaking with a group of woman about once a week and we always finish it off with a stop for ice cream on our way home. The others always get a chocolate dipped waffle cone with theirs. I prefer mine in a bowl plus the store carries a yummy sugar-free caramel crunch ice cream so it comes in just under 200 calories. My weakness in the summer is a DQ Blizzard but a small chocolate supreme (my personal favourite) comes in at around 600 calories so they are a well enjoyed rare treat. But definitely a important part of my summer 🙂
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    I had a bit of an NSV (non-scale victory) last week. I went horse back riding! The one and only time I've ever been on a horse before was about 1978 haha. At that time the horse got spooked and I went sailing off the back of it. A friend of my daughter's heard that I loved horses but was quite nervous around them. She has two horses and decided that she needed to take me out one evening. It was wonderful. But here's the NSV.....I was able to haul myself up into the saddle without any kind of help. That might not sound like a big deal, but for this previously obese 63 year old, it is a BIG deal 🙂🙂
    I had a bit of an NSV (non-scale victory) last week. I went horse back riding! The one and only time I've ever been on a horse before was about 1978 haha. At that time the horse got spooked and I went sailing off the back of it. A friend of my daughter's heard that I loved horses but was quite nervous around them. She has two horses and decided that she needed to take me out one evening. It was wonderful. But here's the NSV.....I was able to haul myself up into the saddle without any kind of help. That might not sound like a big deal, but for this previously obese 63 year old, it is a BIG deal 🙂🙂

• trekkie123
    That’s awesome! Congrats to you!!!
  • Pdc654
    How many of you are significantly shorter than you were in your younger days? I have been 5' 5" all my adult life, or so I thought. I know it's not unusual to lose height as you age, and I figured I may have lost a little. However I was recently measured as part of a medical research study I'm in for a new flu vaccine and I found out that I am now 5' 3.5" !! I couldn't believe it so I had my husband measure me at home. Yep, I have lost 1.5" in height. I'm going to have to rethink my goal weight. My initial goal weight was 140 lb. I had chosen that initially because it was exactly a 100 lb loss, it was in a healthy range, and it was a weight I had reached back in 2014, the last time I had lost weight. I knew I'd probably want to lose a few more lbs after that, but now I think I'll need to lose an additional 14 or 15 lbs. At 126 I would be at 22 BMI which puts me right in the middle of the healthy range. I don't know. Guess I'll re-evaluate when I'm closer.

I kinda knew things were different than last time. I know I have less muscle which accounts for part of it. But I went back and looked up my measurements, and at the same weight 9 years ago my waist was 5" less than it is now. That's a lot of difference. So less muscle mass plus shorter in height probably accounts for it.
  • AnnPT77
    I'm about an inch shorter so far (5'5" vs. 5'6"), as far as I know, but there's been some progression again in my osteopenia/osteoporosis, so maybe I will have lost more at next authoritative check.

I'm not sure my muscle mass is lots less: I tried on my wedding skirt a while back, at a weight similar to my marriage weight, and it may've been slightly not as good a fit, but it wasn't too far off. (I wasn't very active as a young person, and am pretty active as an old one. I got married in a floor-length white wool kilt and lace blouse, because it was December in Michigan. I was 22.)
  • Pdc654
    @AnnPT77 Yes, my osteopenia probably also was a factor for me in my height loss. As far as muscle loss, I have lost and regained 50+ lbs at least 3 or 4 times over the last 40 years. With each regain I am pretty sure the weight regained was mainly fat, not muscle. So that didn't help. Unlike me, you've been consistently active over the last few decades which I am sure helped you maintain your muscle. When I'm losing weight I've been pretty good about incorporating cardio in my routine but terrible about strength training. Lesson learned here... yo-yo dieting is not good for muscle mass...especially if you aren't doing anything to maintain it as you lose. My next project is to start strength training so I can keep as much muscle as I can and maybe gain some muscle after I get to maintenance. If that's possible at 70 yr old.
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2022
    @AnnPT77 Yes, my osteopenia probably also was a factor for me in my height loss. As far as muscle loss, I have lost and regained 50+ lbs at least 3 or 4 times over the last 40 years. With each regain I am pretty sure the weight regained was mainly fat, not muscle. So that didn't help. Unlike me, you've been consistently active over the last few decades which I am sure helped you maintain your muscle. When I'm losing weight I've been pretty good about incorporating cardio in my routine but terrible about strength training. Lesson learned here... yo-yo dieting is not good for muscle mass...especially if you aren't doing anything to maintain it as you lose. My next project is to start strength training so I can keep as much muscle as I can and maybe gain some muscle after I get to maintenance. If that's possible at 70 yr old.

There's solid research demonstrating that it's possible at older than 70+. But the sooner to start, the better.

Strength gain comes faster than mass gain - and can definitely happen in a calorie deficit. Strength gain is beneficial in our age group for things like injury avoidance, daily life functioning, etc. (The first strength gains are from neuromuscular adaptation - better recruiting and utilizing the muscle mass we already have. Mass gain is a little slower.)
  • Pdc654
    Thanks @AnnPT77. Good to know. I'm amazed at the amount of research you have done on so many health related topics. I value your insight.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 230 Member
    How many of you are significantly shorter than you were in your younger days? I have been 5' 5" all my adult life, or so I thought. I know it's not unusual to lose height as you age, and I figured I may have lost a little. However I was recently measured as part of a medical research study I'm in for a new flu vaccine and I found out that I am now 5' 3.5" !! I couldn't believe it so I had my husband measure me at home. Yep, I have lost 1.5" in height. I'm going to have to rethink my goal weight. My initial goal weight was 140 lb. I had chosen that initially because it was exactly a 100 lb loss, it was in a healthy range, and it was a weight I had reached back in 2014, the last time I had lost weight. I knew I'd probably want to lose a few more lbs after that, but now I think I'll need to lose an additional 14 or 15 lbs. At 126 I would be at 22 BMI which puts me right in the middle of the healthy range. I don't know. Guess I'll re-evaluate when I'm closer.

I kinda knew things were different than last time. I know I have less muscle which accounts for part of it. But I went back and looked up my measurements, and at the same weight 9 years ago my waist was 5" less than it is now. That's a lot of difference. So less muscle mass plus shorter in height probably accounts for it.

I feel your pain about readjusting your goals due to height shrinkage. I was 5'4" most of my adult life, and that's how I calculated my optimal weight. It was oddly disturbing to find I'd shrunk 2" by my late 60's, and now, at 75, I'm 5'1.5". Just a few extra pounds makes a noticeable difference at this height, both in how I feel and how I look.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,178 Member
    OMG - does it never end??? I mean honestly, how much more of this can we take...there has to be a limit...😭 🤣

I have not been measured but I just realized that I know I'm shorter...I am so unobservant but yup, I'm shorter, sigh.

And I think the waist measurement thing is happening to me too - I have also lost 40-80 lbs a few different times over the last 30 odd years and mostly not been physically active...

Peachy 🍑, just peachy.
  • trekkie123

What should I say. I started out at only 5’2” and I have definitely shrunk too! Getting old is not for sissies!! Lol Every day is a new experience!