What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Was looking forward to an easy cardio day with the first half on the rower. Started out and something didn't feel quite right in my left arm/shoulder. I've always had some problems on that side because I had a misdiagnosed broken collarbone that never healed correctly from high school football. Likely due to the heavy flies I did last night.

Anyway, after five minutes on the rower, just decided to do LateralX and Assault Bike for an hour, super easy. Enjoyed the change of pace and didn't sweat missing rowing. Nothing major, I'll be back at rowing on Sunday.
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Just an easy spin session on my Kaiser
  • MissAtomicBomb238
    MissAtomicBomb238 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    AM: Heavy leg day - leg press variations, single leg deads, split squat, goblet squat, walking lunges, curtsy lunges, hip thrusts,

PM: 3 miles easy run on TM at 1% incline. 1 mile intervals playing with incline and push pace.

I have a half marathon in 6 weeks so I should probably think about training.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Was going to take the day off today (it’s my Bday) but then I thought, “I gotta pay for those tacos and drinks I’m gonna have later somehow”, so…

1 mile on the treadmill at a 5 incline
    3 circuits full body workout (no rest)

Back to C25K tomorrow 👍
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    Treadmill run today, quite late in the evening after getting back from my parents: 5.5km at 9kph.

Something went very wrong with my HR sensor, my average heart rate was supposedly 102 with a dip as low as 24bpm 😆
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Did a full mobility and hamstring strengthening session this morning. Was going to try to a short run, but the legs were fatigued from PT, so I decided to rest the legs for tomorrow's long ride.

Tomorrow will be my longest ride of the year. I'll join a few friends who are racing IM Chattanooga next month.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    Day 6 in a row of on-water rowing - something I don't usually do - that was an attempt to get past 40k of rowing this week for the Concept 2 Dog Days of Summer Challenge (the only challenge of the year where water meters can be counted).**

Today was the usual roughly 7k, bow of the quad. It was cooler, so I called sequences of 10 power (strokes), 15 moderate, for much of the row, when I had a clear steering line, and when we were after warm-up/before cool-down. Looks like I even worked enough to get into Z4 for around 8 minutes (in peaks spread through the row, because of that interval format).

We had one of the new folks (from this year's learn-to-row class) in the quad with us for his first time in a quad since he did it at the beginning of the class. (It tends to be a discouraging experience then, because none of the rowers are competent yet, and it's tough to synchronize.) He did great, very smooth even in the first power piece, where a lot of people tend to get adrenalized and rush the slide or make technical errors. He's a pretty athletic guy, though. I think he had fun.

** I'm a low few thousand over that, not sure exactly how much because I have a few hundred walking meters in my total: I forgot to stop the workout on my Garmin before walking boats/oars up to the boathouse a couple of times. Since I only need 40K, and Garmin saw 45,948m, I'm not going to worry about it - I didn't walk an extra 4,948m on the rowing-workout clock!

Biking ended up around the usual weekly total, at 41 point something miles, too. I'll be glad to go back to normal volume this coming week - that took more time than I really want to devote routinely, even though the fitness side of it was fine - just a mild challenge, which is a good/fun thing. Nice to know it's manageable.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    8/26- 220 minutes for 16+ miles and 8/27 & 8/28- Elliptical 90 & 91 minutes, a bit over 7 miles each day.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Six of us rode one of my long routes this morning with the goal of prepping a friend for the Chattanooga bike course. We covered 81 miles in just under 5 hours, a 17mph average. The ride included 4200 ft of climbing, some in the first 15 miles, with the bulk done in the middle of the ride. The final 20 miles is a slight downhill, which made the trip home fast and fun.

While I'm not a strong climber and struggle to stay with the group on some of the long climbs, I felt good today and did my share of pulling. Now I'm good for nothing but couch time and lots of salty foods for the rest of the day. ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Did an hour of super easy cardio yesterday. Nothing hard. 20 on rower, 20 on LateralX and then 20 on the Assault Bike.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Doing my lifting sets this AM and I've come to realize I might have to give up rowing for a while. I seem to have developed either "trigger finger" or arthritis so bad on my left middle finger (and, no, I haven't been flipping anyone off recently! :D ) that it's gotten to be super painful to straighten at times.

Going to finish my reps this morning and then do Assault Bike and LateralX for my hard interval workout today. Much less gripping on those machines than on the rower. I'll see how a couple of week break goes for me. I think I can still manage/workaround on lifting.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,253 Member
    Options
    Four days of rowing a raft through about 42 miles of a desert river. I had no passenger, but I was supporting four kayakers. I got to haul all the personal gear, the water, the food, safety equipment, and of course food. I didn't have to carry out our poop because all the camps were close enough to a BLM provided pit toilet or composting toilet that even if we had to set up our box, we could just use the pit.

Very nice to NOT have the trip-end chore of cleaning THAT.

Today I get to clean everything in the raft kitchen, my cooler (I'd have to clean it anyway, but one zip-seal bag of soup came open and added its own special smell to the cooler), and the raft itself. And clothes. I did at least clean myself when I got home late last night.

Had a cute little rattlesnake in camp one night. It had come out in the evening right near the hand wash station. At one point, it looked like it was going to try to crawl through camp to leave, but ended up climbing back into a little hiding spot in the bottom of a juniper tree until after we left the next morning.
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    Options
    Yoga and 6K run
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    Yesterday: treadmill run of 12.5km. starting at 8.7km for most of my run, but increasing speed at the end: 1h25min, 6:46min/km on average. Managed to get my weekly mileage up to 35km in the end, but 30km in the last three days of the week definitely wasn't the best planning 😆

Short quick run today: 3.25km in 21 minutes.

I should do strength training tomorrow. Posting this in the hopes that publicly saying it will stop me from finding excuses 😉
  • MikePfirrman
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Did a solid interval workout on the Assault Bike. 12 X 90 second sprints/60 seconds recovery and then a C/D on the LateralX. Finally hit over 90% of max HR on last interval. It's hard to hit 90% on such short sprints. Much easier on 4 plus minute intervals.

Was mostly able to get away without aggravating my sore finger by gripping. Either held a loose grip or just did legs.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I tested negative on Friday. Hooray!

On Saturday. I celebrated by going for a climb. I wasn't brilliant, but I wasn't terrible either. It was a slightly bonkers 2.45 hours session. I was broken afterwards.

On Sunday , I went for a walk. I got lost, so it was 24 miles (8 hours; I didn't stop.) It was lovely, Bushy Park was very picturesque.

Wren's Diana had a heron on her head:
    9ajzfouoi4t6.jpg

There were many deer:
    l5f3a8kghkuq.jpg

Today, I went climbing. Again, I was in average form. It was fun, 90 minute session.

Of the 40 guests at Dad's memorial, 17 got COVID. The average age was around 70, so it was a vulnerable population. One of the people who got it had a minor stroke, fortunately they seem to be recovering well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options

Back to the usual 7k-ish in the quad, but rowing stroke this time. I'm not a natural stroke, so spend the whole row counting "in . . . out . . . three . . . four . . . in" in my head! But it was fun. Only in the 70s F, but humidity was over 90% first thing this morning.

Obviously that percentage drops as the air warms, but it was still humid during the row. I've mentioned before that I sweat horrifyingly much. Today, my oar grips got so wet that they were slippery, maybe some accumulated sunscreen in there with the sweat. The only way I could feather, eventually, was by seriously overgripping, especially on the left side - not good, in various ways.

We didn't do intervals today, due to combination of the humidity and our least confident bow rower being in bow not wanting to call them . . . but I was grateful because I think I would've lost control of my left oar handle at some point during power pieces.

I brought my oars home to deep scrub-wash the grips - it was an adventure getting the 8-foot-plus oars into my smallish and twisty-pathed house! Yeah, I could take them apart, but it's a pain.

@MikePfirrman, sympathies on the trigger finger/arthritis situation: I hope you can find improvement. I have episodes of trigger finger in my left ring finger, where I can't straighten it at all without using my other hand. It seems to happen mostly when I'm gripping tightly with that hand, so relaxing my rowing grip did help, in my case. (Also helped my rowing in other ways, which is why I pursued it - the reduced trigger finger incidents were an unexpected happy side effect. 😆) That said, it did seize up today, as a consequence of circumstances mentioned above.

@drmwc, I'm happy to hear you've tested negative and are able to be out and about again. Your photos are lovely! I rarely see our herons so high off the water here - they usually seem to be down near the shallows where the snacks hang out. 😉 That's a great image of the one on Diana with the dramatic sky behind!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    C25K: Week 7 Day 1… CHECK!

Those last few minutes were kinda rough but got it done! Looks like a repeat again in a few days (25 min run).

W7D2 on deck!