WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    I posted this at the end of August..I wanted to start off the month of September with it too. It is a reminder to me that finding the great in everyone (include myself) and doing my part to nurture that person including myself is a lifetime goal. What make Sunni Lee a hero to me is she recognized and acknowledged those who helped her reach her goals. I like to think we are all Olympic Champions in training. Winning or losing is not what my post is all about. It is just playing the game. Yesterday at the fair in the education building most of the booths had wheels to spin and then they asked you a question. After the question they gave you a small prize. I just loved to spin the wheel answer the question. I refused the prizes (Most were small pieces of candy.) I just enjoyed playing the game.

Rebecca I want to hear the opera.

Uplifting story about Sunni Lee the gold medal gymnist. Turns out she went to grade school right up the street from me. The story is the gym teacher recognized her talent in Kindergarten. He had taught for many years and said she was the strongest student he ever had. He called the proprieter of the gym where Sunni ultimately trained and told them about her and asked if she could go there on a scholarship. Her family had little money. She was accepted, and the rest is history. This summer about two weeks ago she came back to the school and donated $50,000 to the school's STEM program. I talked to one of the custodians who was there and we both agreed we need more Sunni Lee's in the world and gym teachers like Scott Richards who recognize the talent and does something to see that it grows.
  • hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    coming back around like a bad penny... seems I go through spurts and cycles. Turning 55 in a week so I really need to get in better shape. My paternal side of the family has long genes for sure but I don't want to just count on genetics! So back to food logging and trying to close my apple watch circles every day.

I'll be checking in regularly again...
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Kim, I am interested in any and all information on estate planning, since we are in the throes of helping Mama with it. It is tough and brings lots of raw emotions to the forefront.

I found a free on Kindle Unlimited book yesterday that was specific to my state that is being somewhat helpful.

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Barbie-- Thanks for getting us started on the new month. Sounds like they ruled out a lot, but still no answers. Pray the new doctor can find the problem and know how to fix it.
    Margaret--I agree that was a great story about Sunni Lee. Thanks for sharing.
    Karen--Another beautiful picture by your brother. I am glad to hear he is selling some and sharing his work with others to enjoy. What a Blessing.
    Rebecca--Sending hugs and prayers for you and your sister.
    Tracey--I do think Jonah will like that.
    Kim--I am also interested in the generation skipping as we have a grand daughter we want to leave part of the money to.
    Machka--Thanks you have given me a lot to think about and work on.
    Enjoyed the concert at the Fair last evening. They started late so was later than planned when we got home. Did not look around and can not say I missed it. DH and DGS did walk around during the last hour of the concert. So it was good for all of us.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    MargaretTurk--So good of Sunni Lee to remember her school

hap2go--Happy Birthday!

Dr.KatieBug--It will be satisfying when the estate planning is done

Carla--Sounds like a really nice office with the blue

Heather--Love that Basil Plant! I hope G likes her new home!

My husband has a new computer...an eye gaze...that uses his eyes to create speech and also to send texts and emails. Medicare paid for this. We are working on how to use it. I am reading a fun novel that takes place on Nantucket with an Inn and restaurants and wine and food and needlepoint. Very easy read, very relaxing. I got some begonias on sale and sprayed them with anti deer spray. I purchased some impatiens for inside the house and have them in the window. Very pretty.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather — I love your 10 signs of a healthy friendship. Beautiful!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Heather -
    loved the healthy friendship

Karen - so agree with the worthless article so hard for some to embrace. I have a friend down the street who has EVERY item from both of her grandparents homes, her mother's home, all of her stuff, and now her daughter is living with her so there is all of her stuff too. 4 bedrooms stacked floor to ceiling, the garage full, 5 sheds in the back yard, and the attic crawl space completely packed - an earthquake and it will take a back hoe to get their bodies out. the worst part of it is she will admit she did not and does not like any of the furniture/lamps/art that the generations before liked, but feels it is disrespectful to let go of it. I refuse to visit inside.

I will put up some info on groups on trusts.... and will update it as I continue to learn, be a bit patient with me... it will take me a few days to get stuff up there.

smiles Kim in N. California
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Barbie ~ Glad you have gone forward with all the eye tests and hope that the new referral will bring an answer to your problem!

Karen ~ I looked up Class and Trash but they don't seem to be in Georgia. It sounds like they are doing a wonderful job removing your furniture. Your brother is very talented and I am glad he is accepting the help you are offering.

Tracy ~ Love the ceramic castle. Every time you show us your creations, it makes me smile.

Rebecca ~ The plans for your sister's remembrance of her husband sound wonderful. By any chance, was he a Mennonite?

Had lunch with my two girl friends yesterday and it was really good to get out! BBQ with Carolina Vinegar sauce. I grew up on BBQ from a place called Fresh Air and this BBQ had the same flavor.

Carol in GA

I think his parents were, and the lady that was caring for his parents later in their lives was a Mennonite. I think Clair was (just?) a Christian.💖. I asked my sister if she had been attending the church in Shedd. She said not yet, as she would be just crying in the back.😢.
    Hugs
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for the September thread! The new month came so quickly!

Carla: 🥰 You got your new office! Yay!

☘️ Terri
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 56min 18sec, 60elev, 3.11ap, 105ahr, 210mhr?, 6.03mi= 552c
    Strava app = 738c
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Carol,

I think there are only 3 Class and Trash stores. Not a nationwide chain, but privately owned by Ken & Lisa Waldrop. 2 in Virginia and 1 in North Carolina. I wish there was one in Georgia, Carol. Lisa has made this part of our downsizing nearly painless.

Catalina and I accomplished more than I thought possible at the storage unit today. I'm knackered.

Karen in Virginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    <3