What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• _Dan1985
    _Dan1985 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    _Dan1985 wrote: »
    September 22 is the first day of Fall and I cannot be more excited!!!!! Sweater weather is my favorite weather!

Just curious, does anybody in America call it Autumn? If I use that word, will people understand what I mean?

I do find myself code switching a fair amount on MFP!

Also the code switching is funny to me because I tend to lean harder into not just my American-ness, but my New York-ness as well, using turns of phrase that I know are distinctly from my region

I have a close friend from Long Island, sometimes it's like we speak different languages. We get by fine, but now and again there's a...'wait, what?' moment. She can't believe we say trousers instead of pants, says it sounds Victorian or something.
  • _Dan1985
    Options
    September 22 is the first day of Fall and I cannot be more excited!!!!! Sweater weather is my favorite weather!

Just curious, does anybody in America call it Autumn? If I use that word, will people understand what I mean?

I said autumn on here last week and the Americans seemed to pick up what I was dropping down :p

Haha, thank you! I'll keep using it, even if it sounds fancy :D

It's a nice word.

• TwitchyMagee
    TwitchyMagee Posts: 4,579 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Also the code switching is funny to me because I tend to lean harder into not just my American-ness, but my New York-ness as well, using turns of phrase that I know are distinctly from my region

I have a close friend from Long Island, sometimes it's like we speak different languages. We get by fine, but now and again there's a...'wait, what?' moment. She can't believe we say trousers instead of pants, says it sounds Victorian or something.
    I think from having a lot of immigrant friends especially from Ireland I’m used to a lot of the differences in speech/slang. Trousers, brilliant, *kitten*, takin the piss, craic, etc. I do often use trousers myself because I like the way it sounds

• _Dan1985
    Options

I think from having a lot of immigrant friends especially from Ireland I’m used to a lot of the differences in speech/slang. Trousers, brilliant, *kitten*, takin the piss, craic, etc. I do often use trousers myself because I like the way it sounds

Oh wow, yeah - your Irish friends have clearly rubbed off on you, many of those are words and terms that we in England share with them, I love saying 'good craic' and piss taking.

I'm wondering what the censored *kitten* was, is it the swear word that rhymes with 'fit' but you added an 'e' to the end to make it extra Irish?
  • TwitchyMagee
    edited September 2022
    Options

Oh wow, yeah - your Irish friends have clearly rubbed off on you, many of those are words and terms that we in England share with them, I love saying 'good craic' and piss taking.

I'm wondering what the censored *kitten* was, is it the swear word that rhymes with 'fit' but you added an 'e' to the end to make it extra Irish?
    Rhymes with hunt
    We use that word here but it has a much stronger meaning
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options
    I bet everyone can tell I don’t have a lot to do today
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,107 Member
    Options
    September is a good month for a lot of reasons. But Fall starting isn’t one of them for me. I like the date, but I don’t want summer to end. I shouldn’t live in this area.
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    September is a good month for a lot of reasons. But Fall starting isn’t one of them for me. I like the date, but I don’t want summer to end. I shouldn’t live in this area.

Meet me in Boca. Carry a white purse. Pass it on
  • _Dan1985
    Options

Rhymes with hunt
    We use that word here but it has a much stronger meaning

Like in America it's the strongest swear of them all in the UK, although interestingly tends to be an insult to be used against a man. The Irish, and especially the Australians are a bit more liberal with it I think.

Also, I don't think we're supposed to capitalise seasons. I was taught to do it in primary school, then told not to do it in secondary school.
  • R3d_butt3rfly_
    R3d_butt3rfly_ Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I just know someone special has a birthday September 😏
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,043 Member
    Options

I just know someone special has a birthday September 😏

Aww you remembered!!
  • cowsfan12
    Options

Word - summer my favorite time of year hands down. Even here in Texas - which doesn’t really match up with my plan to move to Wyoming in the next 5-8 years 🤷‍♂️
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options
    Fyi, September is the most common birthday month. All your parents were getting busy at Christmas
  • cowsfan12
    Options
    Fyi, September is the most common birthday month. All your parents were getting busy at Christmas

I mean what better way to celebrate the holidays Amirite??
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options

A Doctor Who episode taught me the trousers/pants thing. 😁
  • _Dan1985
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Ahh yes, Doctor Who, a British institution that I never got into. Is it popular where you are?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Ahh yes, Doctor Who, a British institution that I never got into. Is it popular where you are?

LOL it was definitely popular at the Comic Cons. It became a bit "bigger" during Matt Smith's Doctor when they started doing more promo in America. I remember seeing he and Karen Gillan saying how enthusiastic the americans were vs the brits.

That show made me a fan of A LOT of british actors I'd never heard of tho. Damn, half the cast was in Broadchurch!

• ElMeroKeeQue
    ElMeroKeeQue Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    We get about a week of fall or autumn in south Texas. Then it’s back to summer lite.
    I miss going to Ireland at least once a year. Only there can I call a parking lot a car park and the trunk is a boot.
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    This cucumber with tajin seasoning combo is really helping me stay full and in a deficit. Will have to order a second bottle pretty soon
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,107 Member
    Options

Or New Years? I always thought of myself as New Years baby. I’m gonna have to ask my mom.