How do i stop eating whoppers?

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Nope--never returned. We're in the dark

Also, joined Sett 14th and this was the first and last post. Why do people DO that??

I'm convinced MFP hires people to create fake profiles, post something dumb like this to garner up activity in the forums, and just to let chaos ensue. Maybe they think keeping the forums active with new posts keeps us happy with new things to reply to. I have seen many many posts that seem kind of stupid/attention grabbing like this, where the profile was created the day the person posted, they only post once, then never again. And I think the Whopper vs Whopper is on purpose, because that also causes more replies for people asking for clarification. Conspiracy!!! :open_mouth:

Having interacted with the MFP Community support staff in some volunteer roles . . . I don't think so. Chaos creates extra work. They have plenty work already. I mean, think about 2 management changes in the few years I've been here? That's without even getting into handling complaints about the bugs, policy changes, etc. 🙄

Actual people I've met in the actual world, plus people who comment on other social media in totally similar ways, convince me that no one needs to be hired and paid to post dumb stuff. People do it for free. Often.

Apply Occam's Razor.

I would agree with this, but there is something strange. The newbie joins, posts once, and then leaves MFP for good. It does happen often. On their profile it tells the day they joined and the last day logged in. Too many times it's one and the same. Or, it's bots. A newbie might not come back to their thread, but stop using MFP altogether when they've just joined? I smell a rat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Also, joined Sett 14th and this was the first and last post. Why do people DO that??

I'm convinced MFP hires people to create fake profiles, post something dumb like this to garner up activity in the forums, and just to let chaos ensue. Maybe they think keeping the forums active with new posts keeps us happy with new things to reply to. I have seen many many posts that seem kind of stupid/attention grabbing like this, where the profile was created the day the person posted, they only post once, then never again. And I think the Whopper vs Whopper is on purpose, because that also causes more replies for people asking for clarification. Conspiracy!!! :open_mouth:

Having interacted with the MFP Community support staff in some volunteer roles . . . I don't think so. Chaos creates extra work. They have plenty work already. I mean, think about 2 management changes in the few years I've been here? That's without even getting into handling complaints about the bugs, policy changes, etc. 🙄

Actual people I've met in the actual world, plus people who comment on other social media in totally similar ways, convince me that no one needs to be hired and paid to post dumb stuff. People do it for free. Often.

Apply Occam's Razor.

I would agree with this, but there is something strange. The newbie joins, posts once, and then leaves MFP for good. It does happen often. On their profile it tells the day they joined and the last day logged in. Too many times it's one and the same. Or, it's bots. A newbie might not come back to their thread, but stop using MFP altogether when they've just joined? I smell a rat.

Nah, I don't think so, at least not MFP-led. Trolls? Sometimes. Toe-dippers who don't want to swim here? Sometimes. Short attention spans? Yeah, some. Etc. Most people don't accomplish long term weight loss. A lot of people don't even accomplish a semi-long-term attempt, I'd bet. Follow some link, join free MFP. Chat with some friend, join free MFP. Poke at the Community, leave. It seems natural, to me.

I don't think it's possible to underestimate the commitment or seriousness of a large fraction of the online community.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

I smell a rat.

Or at least a garden variety troll ?

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

I think "hires" is a bit optimistic. Probably a new intern who's voluntold to come to the forums and stir up shyt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I was a mod on another site and I cosign these two insightful posts.

Apply Occam's Razor.

xhbcceqbjxgo.png
    Did OP every clarify if it was Whoppers

gf9bwal3vao7.jpg

or Whoppers?

qatsz7jnsymb.jpg

That "pressure valve release" theory may have some relevance.

Also, I think sometimes the collective "we" can come on a little stronger than a first-time poster is ready for. This is not a dig at them, or us (generally) - or at least not intended as such.

There are people who need to have information delivered gently, or in bite-sized chunks geared to where they are in the moment, in order to absorb it. Others like stark facts, delivered tough-love style. And everything in between. On top of that, some arrive here having been abused or bullied on other social media, and it's easy to inadvertently touch those bruises, make them cringe.

We long-time MFP-ers are not mostly psychologists, and we don't know much about the people who post, besides. I truly believe that most people here genuinely want to help new folks. But we all have different communication styles, beliefs, knowledge levels, experience.

Mismatches will happen, drive some new folks away.

Some folks may stay and read, never post again (can tell if this might be so from the Community profile dates). Some may stay on the platform, avoid the Community. We don't know.

In the OP's case, it's only been 2 days - may not be gone forever. Also, it was an odd post, in some ways - possible troll? (I don't like to think that, but . . . .).
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    I think how you stop eating whoppers depends on the reason you want to stop.

Ideas I have:
    - keep a healthy snack in your vehicle. Then when you feel that ‘pull’, you’ll have a healthy choice even more easily available.

- write your goal down and put it in a visible place, so you see it when you are about to pull into a BK. Eg., I have a snack cupboard at home and I put a sign on it that reads ‘STOP!! Are those calories worth it?’

- meditate — during your meditations visualize your future without whoppers. A fit healthy version of you.

- cook yourself a lean burger. Satisfy the craving with a healthier (and cheaper) alternative.

Best of luck

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    Moderate your portions. Size isn't everything. The ant continues to do just fine.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I can think of a couple of ways that might help with the desire for whoppers ... I do assume you mean they kind you put into you mouth and not those than come out as utterances?
    1. You might try eating them until they made you very sick from over consumption. Then when you want to eat them again, remember that sickness. Or go ahead and eat to sickness again until you don't want to eat them anymore.
    2. Try thinking of something that makes you feel disgusted as you eat them and associate that disgusted feeling with the taste and/or texture of them;
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Apply Occam's Razor.

Fleeting enthusiasm, maybe? "Today's the day! I'm going to do this! I'm going to beat my Whopper and cigar addiction! Here I go!!..... ohhh... there's a Burger King...."
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I need the op to come back so I know what to crave. A hamburger? A delicious chocolate covered malted milk ball? A big ole lie?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    OP still hasn't logged in since their 1st day. Strong 1st post though.......... :D:D
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,552 Member
    Options
    My family loves Whoppers and Big Macs.... so I started making them more often at home. Use a toasted keto bun, light mayo instead of full fat, leaner beef, etc. The best way to give up the Whopper for us was to make it at home with lower calorie/fat/carb ingredients.

I can't help with cigars though.
  • bethhl
    bethhl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend the method I used! LOL! I had a serious health issue in April of 2022. It became quite imperative for me to finally take my health seriously. Not only do I need to watch my carb intake (diabetic), I have also developed kidney issues and was experiencing extremely high blood pressure ... so now I'm on a limited salt diet. I credit My Fitness Pal with my ability to track all the things I need to track.

For me, limiting salt meant limiting my fast food intake. After about 4 months of not eating fast food I discovered that I was no longer craving it. TV commercials for those places used to call my name... even if I wasn't hungry I'd suddenly want to get some. Now when my daughter gets her kids McDonalds I don't even think about it.... I just don't want it. It's not something I set out to do, but I am happy that getting free from those places happened.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I haven't had a burger from McDonald's or BK since watching "Food, Inc." in 2008. The ammonia factory turned me off.

https://www.carnegiecouncil.org/media/series/ethics-on-film/ethics-on-film-discussion-of-food-inc
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Did OP every clarify if it was Whoppers

gf9bwal3vao7.jpg

or Whoppers?

qatsz7jnsymb.jpg

I am sad that apparently we will never learn the answer to this :disappointed:
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    As to why someone would join, make one good post, leave, never to return, all in one day.
    When I get serious about something, I often download 3 or 4 similar apps, explore to see which I like better, delete the rest.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It’s pretty clear that the whopper is a self soothing response to a stressful event. It’s a symptom that you might want to address through therapy.
  • Kimkimba
    Kimkimba Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don’t have a lot to add.

But my son works at Burger King and I’m a vegetarian. An impossible whopper is too many calories for me.

Plus my parents and BIL smoked and died early. That’s motivation for me to never smoke.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    It’s pretty clear that the whopper is a self soothing response to a stressful event. It’s a symptom that you might want to address through therapy.

😂 Rolling ROFL's. I'm going to use this on my relatives.