So American peeps - which state are you from and what do you

Options

Replies

• Jconner30
    Options
    San Antonio, Texas. San Antonio is almost like a state within itself. We have Tex Mex food that is SOOOOOOOO GOOD - but its so bad for you. In San Antonio, winters are great! You wear a jacket in the morning and in the afternoon you are in shorts. In the summer, we all spontaneously combust from the heat from HELL!!!!

SO much to do in San Antonio. A bad Mexican resturant will not last a month. A good mexican resturant will barely keep its doors open. You have to be GREAT and cheap to survive here! We have the river walk, the San Antonio Spurs, the Alamo and numerous landmarks to keep tourists happy.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    North Dakota!
    Love: that my family is there. Accents. Snow. Thunderstorms, decent summers
    Hate: 30 below weather, mosquitoes, flat farm land, no trees except for shelter belts

Other states I have lived,

Washington (eastern, big difference compared to west side)...loved the weather, the mountains, the tall evergreens, no humidity, little rain, so much stuff to do outdoors. Hated...um, nothing! Wait, I don't like mountain lakes, even in summer they are too cold to enjoy.

Oklahoma: hated just about everything, too hot, not enough rain, no green, trees are dwarfed due to lack of water, flat, nothing to do

Ohio: Love how close everything is, rolling hills, trees, green, lots of outdoor activities. Hate, I wish there was more snow in the winter, it's a lot of freezing rain which totally blows. Very humid in summer months, makes running difficult ;-P
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'm from Maryland (MD). We're close to Baltimore (a big city with its issues, like drugs and crime, but w/a beautiful bay and harbor), and close to Washington DC, so it seems like everyone moves at the speed of sound here. Traffic into the cities is a nightmare, and a lot of folks travel to both cities from all over MD to go to work.

Maryland has a lot of different regions -- from cities, to small towns, farming communities, oceanfront communities, mountain communities to the west. Kind of nice to have the best of all those worlds w/in a short distance.

I live in a rural county about 40 minutes north of Baltimore, and it's a little quieter. The town is called Westminster, and we have a great historical downtown (where we live). We still have plenty of farms, but have all the suburban shops, restaurants, etc.

Because Maryland has the Chesapeake Bay, we eat lots of steamed crabs and shrimp here -- and when you eat them here, they taste like nowhere else!! We have a spice called "Old Bay" that we use on seafood that makes it amazing. It's not unusual for huge groups of people to get together with a bushel of crabs and mallets and just crack them open and eat for hours. I'm not good at picking crabs (the term we use for pulling the meat out of whole crabs), but I love to eat them! :love:

The cons?
    We have all 4 seasons here, but in Maryland spring and fall are lightening quick. Winter will hang on and be really cold (20's and 30's) and then in April/May it can suddenly be 90 degrees. In the fall, it'll be 90 degrees in September, and then suddenly drop down to 40-50 degrees within days. Summers can be brutal because it's always humid.

Everyone here has allergies, too, because every blooming plant and tree that could grow in colder climates north, or in the warmer climates of the south grows here!! Lots of people who move here from other places find themselves allergic to everything! The good news is, we have lots and lots of green space.

Now you have to tell us about where you live -- I'm clueless when it comes to Europe. Sadly, I've never been across the ocean. I'm dying to go!!
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Tennessee here. i am a web developer. and we have a saying about the weather here. dont like it? wait 15 minutes and it will change. we get realtively warm summers. most of the time it is high 90's to low 100's and we get a decent winter. mabe snow and ice a half dozen to a dozen times a year
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    North Dakota!
    no trees except for shelter belts

Katie -- what are shelter belts?? Funny how little we know about our own places...
  • katapple
    Options
    I'm from near Chicago, IL. Beautiful and can-be-extreme weather and seasons. Very flat and surrounded by farm land. I've lived in North Dakota as well. That state HAS extreme weather. Hot and filled with mosquitoes in the summer, and nothing but snow and negative temps in the winter. On the day we moved out from ND, it was -20F. VERY safe place to live but I wasn't a fan of the weather.

Now I'm in England and the weather is bit blah but I prefer it that way. No extremes! :-) Lived in Germany as well. Just gorgeous!

hehe, the day I moved from ND, it was May 10th, and it was snowing. It was like it was giving me one last good bye ;-P
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I live in the western suburbs of Chicago in Illinois. That is in the Midwest. We have two seasons here. Winter and Fix The Roads. Seriously, Summers can get up into the 90s F and Winter can get down to the -10s and -20s F. The terrain is boring (flat) and there is this huge lake to the east of us (Lake Michigan) and lots and lots of farms to the south and west of us.
  • Ashley06118
    Options
    Forget to mention: PA has Hershey Park :D
  • katapple
    Options
    North Dakota!
    no trees except for shelter belts

Katie -- what are shelter belts?? Funny how little we know about our own places...

hehe, they are lines of trees surrounding farmland to keep the top soil from blowing away...one other hate, it's very windy!
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    I'm in PA. The joke here is that you can always tell when you cross the state line because we have horrible, pot-holed roads.

Ashley -- SO TRUE! I used to live in Palmyra, and now live in MD, so I drove across the line all the time! Hee hee...
  • qwills2cats
    qwills2cats Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am in the Central Valley of California and I teach Kindergarten at a private school. We are 3 hours from the coast and 3 hours from Yosemite, 3 hours from San Fran and 6 hours from Los Angeles. Summer is hot, but dry and lasts a while (going to be 97 today) and winters are cool but no snow.
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    I am from New Jersey and a Registered Nurse. I am NOT like the people from the Jersey Shore. No Snooki here.

Hee hee...you Jersey folks have gotten SUCH a bad rep from that show!! Hang in there -- maybe it'll be gone soon!
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm from Indiana! I love the Hoosier state... most of the time! Around here we have quite a bit of differing landscapes to choose from. We have the flat farm land to the north and the rolling hills of brown county and southern Indiana that provide excellent camping, hiking, fishing, and speelunking!

I live in Indianapolis which is the capitol and largest city in the state. Indianapolis is a cultural hot house and there are plenty of museums, sporting events, and recreational parks.

The down side is there is NO night life for families. Unless you go to bed at 9 p.m. there isn't much to do past then. The town all but shuts down at 10-11pm on a Saturday night! haha. I'm not big in to bars otherwise I could go hang out in a section of town just north of downtown called Broad Ripple Village. Broad Ripple is where all the affluent post Indiana University grads all flock to when they move to Indianapolis to find jobs. It is focused toward the 20-30something age group and frankly, I'm not too keen on hanging out in those kinds of environments. I just don't really "fit in" i guess. haha.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Everytime someone asks me where I live I have this URGE to blur out:

The stars at night - are big and bright
    Deep in the heart of texas.
    The prairie sky - is wide and high
    Deep in the heart of texas.

And when I think of this song I think of this:

Pee-WEE.JPG

So, yes, I live in Texas, lol! And I am an Architect :D
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    virginia here! near DC :) four seasons and i love the fall! yay!!!
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Tennessee here. i am a web developer. and we have a saying about the weather here. dont like it? wait 15 minutes and it will change. we get realtively warm summers. most of the time it is high 90's to low 100's and we get a decent winter. mabe snow and ice a half dozen to a dozen times a year

Indiana has you beat with five mintues for weather change ;)
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    hehe, they are lines of trees surrounding farmland to keep the top soil from blowing away...one other hate, it's very windy!

HA! Forgot about that! I loved the windy days in the summer, it kept the mosquitoes down! Those were the days we went out and played all day!

I also LOVED seeing the Northern lights!
  • katapple
    Options

HA! Forgot about that! I loved the windy days in the summer, it kept the mosquitoes down! Those were the days we went out and played all day!

I also LOVED seeing the Northern lights!

So true about the wind and mosquitoes! Haha :) And yes, how could I forget to mention the Northern Lights?!?
  • Kimkimba
    Kimkimba Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Southeastern PA (near Philly). Truly here for the school district as two of my kids receive special education and it's pretty exceptional where I am.

Shopping is good. Airport is close. Public transportation is plentiful. Housing kept its value. Generally no horrible weather compared to a lot of places. And I LOVE our football team (even if I was a little sad Sunday night)!
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    I am from New Jersey and a Registered Nurse. I am NOT like the people from the Jersey Shore. No Snooki here.

I'm from New Jersey as well. The Jersey Shore in fact. I worked in the town they film the show in, Seaside Heights. I fished there this weekend, but that's not me.

I'm more a fan of the Jersey Shore's proudest son, Frankie 'The Answer' Edgar, the UFC Lightweight Champion of the world.