Please help me calculate exercise calories (cardio and weights)

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hollis300 wrote: »
    @Jthanmyfitnesspal I've worked at this job for about 18 months -- it pays more for my area. This is not a career move, something I'm temporarily doing. Previously, I was an office worker who hiked occasionally and was in good health, but not an athlete. My level of exhaustion depends on the workload, which varies every night. Some nights are easier, some not.

I will add the comments here that this is not exercise offended me (my doctor certainly thinks it's exercise), but I looked up the definition of exercise and understand the people who said that must mean the academic definition, that exercise is an activity intended to improve or maintain physical fitness or for enjoyment -- in other words, not for pay.

However, many people also use the word exercise to mean physical activity in general. For example, when I shop for groceries I typically carry them to my car instead of using a cart, if I can, because the weight is good for my bones -- so that would be exercise according to MFPers, but if I do the same thing at my job, that's not exercise, but activity.

I'm signing off here and won't check back. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

For clarity - not for OP who has signed off the thread, but for completeness - when I say it's not exercise, I don't mean that it isn't hard, doesn't burn calories, isn't useful for strength or cardiovascular fitness, etc. Occupations can meet all those criteria.

What I mean, and what I expect others mean, is that occupational activity tends to be uneven or intermittent across the day, more of some activities sometimes but less of others, variable weights of things lifted/carried, etc.

Most "exercise" - at least the kind one has some hope of estimating semi-accurately - is doing a somewhat consistent thing for a defined period of time. Even interval exercise - which it's common to see mentioned here as difficult to estimate accurately - tends to be some consistent pattern like one minute hard, one minute easy, for ten rounds . . . or something like that. If someone lifts weights in a standard reps/sets pattern with normal rests between sets, that's patterned/regular. If I row a boat or rowing machine for an hour at some intensity, that's a pretty consistent thing for a well-defined period. And so forth.

Intermittent/variable things are hard to estimate, and the more intermittent/variable they are, the more difficult to estimate. Occupations tend to fall into that category.

IMO, that's literally why most research-based calorie estimating approaches try to treat occupational activity as a large variable blob of activity that for most people averages out to a particular range of calorie burn, along with routine home chores and such. Even though some home/work tasks are in the database, it tends not to work well to estimate base calories, then estimate usual intermittent but regular home chores, job, etc., as separate add-ons. In a way, fitness trackers do try to do that, but they've put a lot of serious research and software design/testing into how to do it better than worse.

Whether I am paid to do something certainly has nothing to do with whether I'd estimate it as exercise or not. I'd estimate something as an exercise if it isn't part of my regular average routine, has a start/stop, is somewhat consistent effort during the activity, and that sort of thing. That is, whether it's "exercise like" in ability to estimate it.

Some paid jobs that are quite repetitive might fit an exercise definition, like if I was a bicycle courier, running around town at top speed on my bike, and timing how much time/miles I spent riding. (Even then, to avoid the annoyance of estimating every work day in detail, personally I'd probably set myself at very active, then adjust calories upward if needed based on experience. But it could be estimated as exercise, because it fits within exercise-like parameters.)

Carrying vs. carting my groceries to car is not an exercise I'd estimate separately, but it's something I do IRL for the kind of reasons OP mentions. Neither is some day when maybe I run the vacuum cleaner for a longer time, rather than just doing a quick sweep. I think trying to estimate that sort of routine thing makes calorie estimates overall less accurate, not more. If I spend a solid 2 hours shoveling snow, yeah, I'll estimate that as exercise. No one pays me.

Nothing about saying "that job is not an exercise" is about dissing the value of the activities for fitness, health or calorie burn.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    If memory serves, the part of the app where you select a normal activity level lists some example jobs that fit. If I were you, I'd read through and select the option that best fits your warehouse job. The app will set your calorie goal to account for that (rather than having to add it daily as exercise).

ETA. nevermind...already was posted above.
    You can try manually setting the goal between what it gives you for the 2 options you think you fall between
  • aCountryVegan
    aCountryVegan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    People will not that I've also argued that these devices AREN'T that accurate. This is true, and you should eat back additional calories conservatively. Leave a few on the table!

I run distance with a Polar watch and I have to say, they are getting a lot better with calorie burn, especially when monitoring HR. An average day has me eating 3000 calories a day and I only leave about 10% on the table and am able to still lose/maintain my weight.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    People will not that I've also argued that these devices AREN'T that accurate. This is true, and you should eat back additional calories conservatively. Leave a few on the table!

I run distance with a Polar watch and I have to say, they are getting a lot better with calorie burn, especially when monitoring HR. An average day has me eating 3000 calories a day and I only leave about 10% on the table and am able to still lose/maintain my weight.

And for me my Garmin systematically underestimates my exercise calories and TDEE. And it's getting worse as I increase my fitness level. Leaving calories 'on the table' would not have been a good idea for me, I need around 200 calories more per day than my tracker estimates.

I don't like the generic advice that people should not eat all of their exercise calories. It needs to be completed with 'and then monitor your weight trend and adjust accordingly'. Yes, fitness trackers can overestimate, but underestimate as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

And for me my Garmin systematically underestimates my exercise calories and TDEE. And it's getting worse as I increase my fitness level. Leaving calories 'on the table' would not have been a good idea for me, I need around 200 calories more per day than my tracker estimates.

I don't like the generic advice that people should not eat all of their exercise calories. It needs to be completed with 'and then monitor your weight trend and adjust accordingly'. Yes, fitness trackers can overestimate, but underestimate as well.

No kidding. Averaging over the past year, Garmin thinks I burned 1730 calories per day, all inclusive.

Over the same time period, I've had my goal set at 1850 calories, plus eat back all exercise calories, so gross intake is only 1850 on my one weekly rest day, but more like 2100-2500 or so most days. Probably 2 to 4 times a month, I eat well over my 1850+exercise goal . . . many hundreds of calories over, even thousands over sometimes.

I looked at Libra a year back. A high day in the week a year ago around this date was 129.8 pounds, this week 129.2. Feels like maintaining?

Background: I wear the watch 24x7 except when it's charging; charging is a few minutes per week, not enough to make a material difference. I use Garmin's exercise for all but walking (ExRx) and strength training. (MFP).

Good trackers will be close for most people, because most people are average. Statements that "they always overestimate" are incorrect. Some people they overestimate, some they underestimate, and the reasons may not be obvious . . . other than the (unhelpful) generic reason that their estimating algorithms are based on averages, so under/over estimating is probably more about how average the user is, not how good the device is.

Monitor and adjust: Good plan.