A serving is WHAT????

Options

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Anything where the nutrition information can't be matched to obvious "chunks." Such as when cookies list the calories per ounce, or something.

I think they cracked down on all the juice drinks listing more than a serving per can. (Even stranger, I've seen some with "2.5 servings" per can, or something like that.)

As @BartBVanBockstaele notes, listing calories per weight does allow for comparison to other foods, but I don't carry a scale with me everywhere I go!
  • Skyleen75
    Skyleen75 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I was just knee deep in a pure sugar craving and. picked up a box of Dots- FIVE GUMDROPS! I wanted to murder someone.
    So of course that slapped me back to reality and bought some grapes
  • Skyleen75
    Options
    OMG I am slayed imaging eating a third of a Moon pie!!!! Or splitting a muffin into 3 equal servings.
    And as far as I’m concerned a serving of peanut butter is 1/4 jar!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    As @BartBVanBockstaele notes, listing calories per weight does allow for comparison to other foods, but I don't carry a scale with me everywhere I go!
    <giggle>I like that. I see it as an encouragement to eat at home, not outside. If I do that most of the time, possible mistakes by eating out and not being able to measure, don't really matter much. If we cannot do the best thing, we can always do the better thing ^_^. Or in other words, we should not let perfection be the enemy of the good.

• BartBVanBockstaele
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Skyleen75 wrote: »
    OMG I am slayed imaging eating a third of a Moon pie!!!! Or splitting a muffin into 3 equal servings.
    And as far as I’m concerned a serving of peanut butter is 1/4 jar!
    You are very frugal. For me, a serving is the jar, it does not matter how big it is, 340 g or 2 kg. Down my gullet with it! Needless to say: I learned to stay away from it. Abstention is often significantly easier than moderation.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Anything where the nutrition information can't be matched to obvious "chunks." Such as when cookies list the calories per ounce, or something.

They are not supposed to do that but it is probably the most common error on labels that I see. In the US, all Nutrition Facts labels are supposed to list a "common household measure" as part of the description for a serving since people don't always have access to a scale. For items in chunks/pieces, that would mean so many pieces per serving. For liquids, it would be units like Tbsp, cups, etc. For a piece of cheese that is cut from a block, it should state the dimensions in inches of the (1 oz) serving.

I have a bag of pork rinds on my desk at work right now that merely states "1/2 oz". That's wrong.

• BartBVanBockstaele
    Options
    So of course that slapped me back to reality and bought some grapes
    Good for you! Well done. In my case, I would have had to turn to a portion of green beans, grapes have too many calories for me to be able to eat a reasonable portion. Eating half a grape every other day is not particularly realistic ^_^

• Skyleen75
    Options
    @BartBVanBockstaele I’m working on my self control and I feel 1/4 jar is reasonable also regardless of jar size. I enjoy the economy school cafeteria style 64 ounce monster.
  • Skyleen75
    Options
    Also I use a knife and fork on that half a grape and a small plate to trick myself into thinking it’s more filling.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

It's far from universal but I see quite a few nutritional labels with both here:
    - per 100gr
    - per unit/several units/portion size

For example for After Eight mints, a serving is 2 mints:
    3vn6mwmo745k.png

I'm a huge fan of that for 'ready to eat' foods such as cookies.

I was going to say that ridiculous serving sizes are a typically US thing, but I stand corrected. For a small 45gr bag of Lays chips, the stated portion size is 40 grams :mrgreen: Who on earth would leave 5 grams for another time?
    And on top of that, a large bag of exactly the same chips states 30gr as a portion...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

It's far from universal but I see quite a few nutritional labels with both here:
    - per 100gr

3vn6mwmo745k.png

Here in Australia all labels have the info per serving and per 100g/ml it makes it so much easier to really assess what you're buying and eating
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options

- per 100gr

3vn6mwmo745k.png

I was going to say that ridiculous serving sizes are a typically US thing, but I stand corrected. For a small 45gr bag of Lays chips, the stated portion size is 40 grams :mrgreen: Who on earth would leave 5 grams for another time?
    And on top of that, a large bag of exactly the same chips states 30gr as a portion...

It's interesting that they're allowed to wiggle the portion sizes like that. I'd bet that it's because that way they can include the phrase "10 portions per container" (if it's 300gr) on the large one instead of "7.5 portions per container." ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    I know this wasn't what you were aiming at, but I'd like to express outrage at US vegetable serving sizes, especially in restaurant sides.

Three or four asparagus stalks is pathetic. A tiny heap of maybe a dozen green beans is sad.

In home foods, I know I'm an eating preferences outlier, but the frozen broccoli I fall back on for lazy days says a pound (frozen weight) is 5 servings. Nah. That's just a smallish cereal bowl of broccoli, when cooked: One serving.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    Options
    @BartBVanBockstaele I’m working on my self control and I feel 1/4 jar is reasonable also regardless of jar size. I enjoy the economy school cafeteria style 64 ounce monster.
    Giggle, it seems we have the same problem.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    Options
    - per 100gr
    I have seen those as well, and in Canada at least, they tend to note the number of grams/ml per claimed 'serving' instead of per 100 g. While that is already something. Stating per 100 g should be universal in my opinion. It is how scientists do it, and even the USDA does it that way. The claim that stating per 'serving' is easier for Americans, essentially says that Americans are the dumbest of the dumb, and I refuse to accept that idea.

• BartBVanBockstaele
    Options
    Here in Australia all labels have the info per serving and per 100g/ml it makes it so much easier to really assess what you're buying and eating
    There are some of those in Canada as well, but –as far as I am aware– not many. It is a pity, really. On the other hand, if accuracy were to be enforced, that would certainly be a major improvement.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options

- per 100gr

3vn6mwmo745k.png

It's interesting that they're allowed to wiggle the portion sizes like that. I'd bet that it's because that way they can include the phrase "10 portions per container" (if it's 300gr) on the large one instead of "7.5 portions per container." ;)

Nope, our packages don't state how many portions they contain. Just total weight. I think only nutritional info per 100gr is mandatory, and any other portion/serving/... is optional and (possibly) freely chosen. Sometimes a serving size, sometimes per piece, sometimes for several pieces, sometimes for the whole package (for example a ready meal). And sometimes no extra info at all, just let 100gr. I'm no expert on EU guidelines, but from the labels I've seen, it's so irregular that I don't think there are strict rules.
  • Skyleen75
    Options
    88ud9bjhe72t.jpg

My lunch yesterday was a weighed out single serving of saag paneer (naan bread on the side) as I'm watching my saturated fat intake. It was delicious, but this just looks like a sad amount.

I love you for your photographic evidence!!!
    It looks delicious but also like a SNACK!