Protein sources which are not too expensive

avikalshukla935
avikalshukla935 Posts: 1 Member
edited October 2022 in Introduce Yourself
Hey! Can you suggest me some easily available and not too expensive protein sources which helps me gaining muscles as well as weight (I am 20yrs old having height=167cm and weight=53.kgs from India )

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    If you’re looking for price friendly protein you might consider beans and lentils.

I would imagine those are readily available to you in India? I know I cook a lot of Indian dishes as a Vegetarian and legumes and pulses are a huge part of those recipes.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,940 Member
    MFP Protein Thread

This thread has been put together by fellow MFP members with TONS of options to get protein, whether on a budget or special diet.
  • Blushtinker21
    Blushtinker21 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi avikalshukla935
    Fairly affordable sources of protein are pulses (beans, lentils, chickpea etc). You also have grains such as buckwheat, quinoa.
    Eggs and fish are very good sources of protein and vitamins, not to speak of healthy fats which your body needs if you intend on increasing physical exercise in order to gain weight (muscle). Essential fatty acids help your body reduce inflammation after workouts and assist in the healing process of broken muscle.
    Protein yoghurt, cottage cheese and quark are also excellent sources of protein, have live bacteria cultures which contribute to gut health and help both with weight gain and muscle building.
    A glass of milk with a banana and a spoon of peanut butter (make them into a smoothie) before bedtime will help you gain weight, keep your blood sugar levels under control overnight and help you sleep better. Add some protein powder in there if it is affordable for you.
    Remember to allow your body at least 2 days of rest between training days when weight training for the muscles to repair in order to retain weight. Also make sure you meet your daily calorie intake.
  • Blushtinker21
    Blushtinker21 Posts: 4 Member
    I forgot to mention a few vegetables that are rich in protein: green peas, sweetcorn, artichokes, avocado, spinach, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, kale, potatoes (yes potatoes have protein in there not just carbs).
    Also all nuts and seeds have good amounts of protein so use them (if you have no allergies).
    Now I'm not sure what exactly is affordable in your country and what is expensive, but I hope these suggestions help you achieve your goal.