Healthy for the Holidays Challenge - 9/06 - 11/22

Options

Replies

• vcmete222
    Options
    I'm really struggling to figure out how to lower my carbs... I totally know it would be good for me though! I'm a carb junkie, and not a big meat eater. Can anyone offer some suggestions for meals and snacks that are low in carbs?
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Low carb breakfast/brunch--eggs, any style. I make a crustless quiche that I make about once a week and have a slice warmed up every morning. It's my "convenience food" since I got tired of making omelets every day.

Ditch the potatoes, pasta, and bread. Take it easy with rice and quinoa, about 1/2 cup portions.

I take a meat-based entree to work along with a good-sized container of different cut-up raw veggies. I make a reasonable calorie dip from plain full-fat Greek yogurt and Uncle Dan's Ranch dip seasoning. (I got tired of salads--the finger food is more satisfying, I guess.) Dessert for dinner is usually half an apple, pear, orange, etc. (Carbs in fruit add up quick, hence the smaller portions.

When I get home after work (around midnight), I have Greek yogurt and berries. Sometimes I have calories left for some cheese. Occasionally, I save up calories and carbs for ice cream or dark chocolate.

I make my meat dishes pretty simple these days. One favorite thing is to find a good tasting dressing/marinade and use it to cook salmon or chicken. I've discovered beef "flap meat", and it's economical and easy to make--saute until brown, bake in the oven at 425 for about 12 minutes until no more than medium-rare, slice across the grain (it's kinda like London broil/flank steak). Good with a dash of barbeque sauce.
  • helena98
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! It's time to review our chart!

4kZ7I.png

MUCH better weight losses this week! We doubled what we lost last week! WAY TO GO!!!

We're also seeing a more colorful chart. Congrats to the following members who moved "up" in the colors (white to yellow or green, yellow to green).
    :flowerforyou: agirl11
    :flowerforyou: carrielofton
    :flowerforyou: ceejay000
    :flowerforyou: dbennett1
    :flowerforyou: kylakesgal
    :flowerforyou: Leanz
    :flowerforyou: oliviawink
    :flowerforyou: opalmel
    :flowerforyou: patty9013
    :flowerforyou: Sandbug
    :flowerforyou: vwbear

This is AMAZING progress! Keep up the good work!

SPREADSHEET LINK:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoomF1o6sg6LdEw2NV92dFQ5RDZqbm1Bek5xR1M4M3c&hl=en_US

(FYI - I added 2 new sheets in the group spreadsheet. "Weekly %" shows the percentage you need to reach each week to be in the yellow or green groups. "Challenges" details each weekly challenge.)
  • mwashington04
    mwashington04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good Evening everyone...
    Is it too late to join this challenge? I would like to lose weight along with you all as well.
    How do I join??

thanks
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Helen- Thanks for the chart. You rock!
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Good Evening everyone...
    Is it too late to join this challenge? I would like to lose weight along with you all as well.
    How do I join??

thanks

just by posting here you have joined! :smile: Post your current weight, then each tuesday post your new weight. Helen fills out the spreadsheet and posts that super awesome grid that lets us know how we are doing individually and as a group. Welcome mwashington04!

Helen, I didn't think it was possible, but the spreadsheet just keeps getting better. LOVE IT! The motivation worked b/c I was in the green this week. I'm gonna keep pushin' to get in the green again next week! THanks a ton!:heart:
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've been having some problems with my internet. But i'm back now. 263 On Tuesday which to be honest was terrifying but as i've had my medication changed again i expect it's to be expected and hopefully once i get used to it it will start going own again.
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Singer, is the greek yogurt lower in carbs? I usually don't buy it because its more expensive, but man did I fail on the low carb yesterday! My normal snacks would be a granola bar, carrots, yogurt, and a piece of fruit. By the time I entered that and my breakfast and lunch (eggs, fruit and a salad) I was already at like 170g carbs! I didn't eat yogurt for a long time because of the added sugars but I sort of stopped paying attention to that, perhaps this is my wake up call on that front:smile:

So I've gone back to my "manageable" workout schedule this week and what a relief this has been! I went to Target last night after work and (I know this will sound rediculous) but it was such a free feeling that I didn't have to rush home and work out. I had been so focused on feeling like I had to work out that I would only go straight home after work and right to working out so I could fit it in before dinner and whatever else. I was definately starting to get to the obsessive point with it. I also haven't been feeling starving and have been able to stay pretty much in my calorie goal so it looks like my body adjusted to that pretty quick. I guess the true test will be next weeks weigh in. Also, thanks everyobody for posting how much you work out. A lot of times it does seem like working out every day is the norm around here, its very reasurring the hear that's not the case for a lot of you.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the low carb suggestions Rose!! I really really struggle in that area, I love my bread...and fruit!
    Love the spreadsheet, how motivating it is to look at that and strive to be in the green!
    Congrats to all!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Helen....Wonderful spreadsheet! I need lessons!

Singer...Wow! Good challenges this week. Just the awareness of how I can fit moving into my day--it doesn't just have to be at the gym and the carb awareness has been an eye opener for me. I am working on both!

Thanks!
  • jenniferjgayfield
    Options
    Helen, you seriously make the best spreadsheet ever...thank you! I am so ready to be in the green...gonna try this coming week, great job to all of you who are! Trying with lower carbs, not 100, but still, not as high as I used to be at...
    Jenni
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    My favorite exercises are the ones that take place outdoors too, yesterday I push mowed our big yard, love doing that now!!!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    @ emariec I started eating Greek yogurt because it's lower in sodium than cottage cheese. Plain full fat (Zoi brand) is 230 calories, 11 g carbs per cup; honey-flavored is 320 calories and 29 g carbs per cup. I usually mix the two--3/4 honey and 1/4 plain. I don't really like the plain by itself, but it works well in the Uncle Dan's ranch dip. Zoi just came out with a vanilla Greek yogurt that is really good, too; tastes a little like whipped cream (220 calories, 28 g carbs/cup). I usually put my Greek yogurt over blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or fresh peaches. The brand I use (Zoi) has live cultures and no high-fructose corn syrup. For me, it's a local brand from Washington state, and available economically at WINCO.

The "Carbohydrate Curve" from Primal Blueprint <marksdailyapple.com>
    0-50 g carbs per day---ketosis and accelerated fat burning
    <100 g carbs per day---Sweet Spot for EFFORTLESS WEIGHT LOSS
    100-150 g carbs per day---maintaining weight
    150-300 g carbs per day---steady insidious weight gain
    >300 g carbs per day---increased risk of health problems
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have done pretty good on staying under 100 carbs so far. Today is pretty much blown I had no idea how many carbs were in some of my favorite snacks. Jello temptations 21 carbs WOW!

I am doin more walking this week and actually enjoying it, our fall weather is starting and its not so hot.

Great Challenges!
  • MountaineerGirl
    Options
    Lost 1 pound this week. CW146, GW 137. Been sick and not doing well on exercise. But eating ok.
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm super sucking on eating and exercising this week. I'm going to cook up a bunch of chicken tonight though and live off that this weekend. and sodium cleanse.. and exercise.. a lot.. lol. we'll see how it goes.
  • kelmax
    Options
    Is it too late to join?? I would love to join your group!! :)
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    kelmax, I just joined, go to the first page and you will see the instructions. Good to have you!
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Okay, can I state the obvious? Low carb is really hard! I don't know if this is just because I don't have the right kinds of snacks around or what but I have just failed at this every day. The best I can say so far is that on thursday I stayed under my carb goal for the day. I'm going grocery shopping today and I'm going to try and make an effort to get more low carb options to finish out the challenge week. Other than that, I feel like I've had a pretty good week!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Okay, can I state the obvious? Low carb is really hard! I don't know if this is just because I don't have the right kinds of snacks around or what but I have just failed at this every day. The best I can say so far is that on thursday I stayed under my carb goal for the day. I'm going grocery shopping today and I'm going to try and make an effort to get more low carb options to finish out the challenge week. Other than that, I feel like I've had a pretty good week!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

lol..yes that is obvious for me too unfortunately! I usually always stay under the recommended carb level MFP has set for me, but I still think it's too high...I honestly don't think I can ever stay under 100 grams, and I'm like you, not sure if I have the right kind of snacks around...snacks for me include fruits and sourdough pretzels, so there ya go on the carbs! I admire those like Rose who can go so low on the count. I have done the South Beach diet before which is carb restricted, seems like I ate a lot of meats and veggies...