60 yrs and up

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    Greetings, all. Trying to check in here more often.

To @sandramarshall200, @trekkie123, @ridiculous59 and @karlschaeffer - Thank you for your kind words and your encouragement. You remind me again that the best feature of MFP is the community and the mutual support. 😍

Like @SbetaK, I'm 68 and still working. The work activity is a partial respite from my home situation and I able to save some more money for anticipated retirement in a couple of years. I think work activity is great for anyone wants to stay active and who is able to keep working past expected "retirement" age.

Weight is up a bit the last couple of days. Went to that 18 inning Mariners playoff game yesterday with my sons. Consumed some delicious ballpark food and some adult beverages. Gotta' unwind now and then! Back on the program tomorrow.

Keep up your great efforts, all you seasoned citizens. You're an inspiration to me!

Woah! That Mariner’s game was intense. Philly fan here, so riding the high of Phillies in NLCS and Eagles 6-0. Happy Monday!

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member

Weight is up a bit the last couple of days. Went to that 18 inning Mariners playoff game yesterday with my sons. Consumed some delicious ballpark food and some adult beverages. Gotta' unwind now and then! Back on the program tomorrow.

Keep up your great efforts, all you seasoned citizens. You're an inspiration to me!

Woah! That Mariner’s game was intense. Philly fan here, so riding the high of Phillies in NLCS and Eagles 6-0. Happy Monday!

Yes, Karl, the atmosphere in the ballpark was electric. The fans didn't stop yelling and chanting 'til the game was over. Good luck to your Phillies, Karl. I will watch the rest of the playoffs because I'm a baseball fan, but I'll have to root for Cleveland now.

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @ridiculous59. I can see how the exercise could make a big difference in your blood work numbers. It's so important to our general well-being.

As far as getting the eating under control, I was very bad for a long time just eating anything at anytime I wanted and it was one of the major reasons I put on so much weight this time around. When I finally made up my mind to get the weight off, one of the first things I did was to schedule my eating more regularly and stop the all day snacking. I now eat 3 regular meals and 1 or 2 snacks a day. It was hard at first to do that, but it has helped me so much to not overeat.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Tomorrow we are off to Hawaii, the Big Island. We will be there for 10 days and back on Oct 29. I'm excited but a little nervous too. First time traveling since covid. Our last vacation was in May 2019.

I always retain a lot of water with long air flights and it takes a week or so to get the water weight off so I may postpone weighing for a week after I get back. Sometimes it's as much as 8 pounds up. I will probably be eating at maintenance and estimating my food since I'm not bringing my food scale. But I'm hoping the activity will offset some of the extra calories. Aloha, everyone!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 249 Member

Yes, Karl, the atmosphere in the ballpark was electric. The fans didn't stop yelling and chanting 'til the game was over. Good luck to your Phillies, Karl. I will watch the rest of the playoffs because I'm a baseball fan, but I'll have to root for Cleveland now.
    phillies fan here too!!!! Great week for philadelphia 🙌🥳🎉

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited October 2022
    Aloha @Pdc654! Did not make it to the big island last trip, will have to visit it soon.

Just wear your mask in busy spots, especially indoors; fortunately almost everything is outdoorsin Hawaii - you will be in the minority (wearing a mask) but it does give that extra layer of protection. Let us know how it goes and have a great time.
  • asugar1390
    asugar1390 Posts: 46 Member
    I am 60 and am looking for support too. I have high cholesterol and am looking to lose about 15 more lbs as I recently lost 10 lbs. I am having to be on a restricted diet due to sucrose enzyme deficiency and it’s not fun and so would like to have some support too .
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 249 Member
    Welcome and good luck Asugar1390
  • karlschaeffer
    edited October 2022
    Aloha @Pdc654! Did not make it to the big island last trip, will have to visit it soon.

Just wear your mask in busy spots, especially indoors; fortunately almost everything is outdoorsin Hawaii - you will be in the minority (wearing a mask) but it does give that extra layer of protection. Let us know how it goes and have a great time.

PDc, enjoy your trip! Agree with BC. Just wear the mask in indoor public areas. And have fun!
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    edited October 2022
    Hi everyone. I’ve been a member for a while but haven’t posted. I’ll soon be 65 and need to lose a little over 100 lbs. I’d like to do low carb because I hear it’s helpful with some medical issues but I always fail at it, it’s hard for me to give up carbs. I also have problems with caving in to my cravings. I get so frustrated with myself!!

I guess I'd say, don't do something you have failed at before and think you will fail at again. Try something new! Small changes can really add up, and for me, logging and measuring is the ticket. And maybe if you are logging, you can figure out your patterns and be able to lower your carbs somewhat.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,178 Member
    avatiach wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I’ve been a member for a while but haven’t posted. I’ll soon be 65 and need to lose a little over 100 lbs. I’d like to do low carb because I hear it’s helpful with some medical issues but I always fail at it, it’s hard for me to give up carbs. I also have problems with caving in to my cravings. I get so frustrated with myself!!

I guess I'd say, don't do something you have failed at before and think you will fail at again. Try something new! Small changes can really add up, and for me, logging and measuring is the ticket. And maybe if you are logging, you can figure out your patterns and be able to lower your carbs somewhat.

You know, I think this is really good advice - so important to make changes you can live with, vs adopting changes that are too hard to live with and we give up or regain or both!

However, I too believe low carb can be good for insulin resistance and metabolic issues especially - but don't have to go 'full keto' to get benefits (unless that's a way of eating you like + find satisfying).

Even without lowering carbs, having a minimum 12 hour fast overnight can give some of the same benefits.
  • karlschaeffer
    Hey all - checking in, hope your weekend is going as planned 😀

Last night I went to Elton John concert on his Farewell tour. He announced this was his last concert in Canada, and boy did he rock the place out! I so appreciated that his whole band was made up of energetic & talented old men (one of the drummers first did a concert with him in 1969!). I was there with my daughter and friends who were born in the 80s & 90s lol. A good time was had by all!
    3cfwas53mi75.jpg

Glad you enjoyed the show. Saw Sir Elton in Tucson a few years back. Thought he might “phone it in”. He stay on stage and played and sang for over 90 mins. At one point he sent his band off stage for a break and he did a few songs solo. Great performer.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Hi, y'all -

First, a welcome and encouragement to the new folks who've recently commented on this thread: Stay engaged, ask questions if you have some, tell us what your challenges are - maybe some of us have suggestions about what's worked or is working for us, for you to consider.

Other than that, just a status update from me.

The Elton John concert sounds amazing, @BCLadybug888! He's such a talented and seasoned performer, with a great back catalog of songs to draw on.

I went to my first indoor musical event since the start of the pandemic this past weekend, too, though a much less famous thing (but still excellent), the Soweto Gospel Choir from South Africa. So colorful, dynamic (with dancing and drumming), excellent soloists and harmonies. They did about a 90-minute show, split into 2 sets. One was African music, the other was what I'd describe as a mix of American soul/R&B/gospel classics, but done in their African-flavored style. That part included songs like "Amen", "Respect", "I'll Take You There", and more. No photos, because they weren't allowed during the performance.

Beyond that, nothing dramatic happening here. Cold weather is creeping on in Michigan, so I'm sadly getting to the end of my favorite outdoor activities' season. We're still rowing when weather permits, but favoring large multi-person boats for safety; and I'm still biking when I can. This week, we've had 3 days or so back into semi-balmy temperatures (50-75 F), which has been great. I had a nice bike ride yesterday, rowed this morning . . . both in short sleeves. That won't last! I'm steeling myself to pick up with stationary bike and machine rowing to maintain at least some fitness over Winter, and will try to talk myself into strength training as well. (Love the results from strength training, but don't love the process . . . and I'm sadly undisciplined and hedonistic.)

I don't know about the rest of you, but the increasing cold and darker days seem to spark up my appetite, and it gets easier to overeat. Is this my Scandinavian genes wanting me to store up some body fat for Winter? Dunno. But I need to use my ultra-limited discipline/motivation budget, try to stay in a healthy weight range!

I hope everyone else is doing OK, at whatever stage of the process you're in. Let us know how things are going, eh?

Best wishes to all!