When you realize…..

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Context always matters in these cases - for example, when I go for longer bike rides (2+ hours at a time), I always take sugar in one form or another to keep me going thru the ride and to make sure I make it home - usually hard candies or just simply glucose tabs. Sugar as pure as possible, is the ONLY thing that will give me a fast enough energy kick to keep up and finish the ride. So in this context, sugar is a god send and is not junk, even though most of the internet/diet guru's still try to demonize sugar considering it to be the junkiest of the junk foods.

Bingo!!! Well said.

For example, I'm a carb burner of the first order during endurance events. In fact, my coach had me focus on increasing my carb (simple sugar) intake to roughly 400 calories per hour during training rides of 4-6 hrs while preparing for long course triathlon events. Then - once the ride was over, I returned to consuming a fairly low carb daily allotment as prescribed by a dietician.

So context is everything!

I like how you explained things, both of you. It's like what do you want the engine to do? Turbo boost, or gas mileage economy? Both have their place.

When I am passing a car on the highway, I know I cannot outrun the Corvette while driving a little 4-cylinder rental clunker, but my truck could out pass any 4-cylinder. Pick your battles wisely.

Know your machine, and know what you want it to do, and treat it accordingly based on needs (or price of gas, he, he).

I think maybe we all have close to the same machine, at the starting line . . . it's more about how well we adhere to the recommended preventive maintenance schedules. ;) Overhauls are possible, too.

(I'm saying that as a not very big 66 y/o woman who's emphatically not a natural athlete - not even close - BTW.)
  • AnnPT77
    edited October 2022
    (snip)
    So while I could see myself giving up something like pizza short term, would I ever be satisfied with eating a cauliflower crust pizza for the rest of my life? No. It might take me 2 hours to work off a slice of pizza, but oh well.

(snip)
    FWIW, as a piece of general information, commercial/standard cauliflower pizza crust isn't particularly low calorie. It's more about avoiding gluten, for those sensitive.

There might be different micros, but I'd guess the difference is trivial.
    (snip)

Would I be happy with a one-size fits-all trainer at the gym? No. He might be perfect for the guy trying to put on more muscle to work in the military or something, but have no clue about women trying to lose weight after 40, etc. And a 20 year old fitness trainer just starting out will not be able to understand the unique needs of women as they age either, so I would be better suited for someone that has been there, and done that in their own life.
    (snip)
    YMMV, but the trainer I got the most from (as a 40+ y/o woman) was a male power lifter. I don't think we're all that unique (older women), and stereotyping (trainers or trainees) is risky. For sure, the individual trainer matters - their attitude, knowledge, experience - yeah.

As an aside, recent research is suggesting metabolism isn't all that different from 20s to around 60s - might want to look for different factors in 40s or so, eh?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34385400/

Best wishes!
  • Sugartown2
    Sugartown2 Posts: 76 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I, unlike the rest of the good people in here, absolutely exercise so I CAN eat "junk" food.

Or maybe it's so I'll have calories for the "healthy" foods. :)

I will even have a couple jelly bellies on my gym bag for that quick reward
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    edited October 2022
    removed after a bit more reading. but @AnnPT77 I love that you stick around. I don't post often, mostly lurk, but I love your posts and that you are so open in sharing your experiences.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Korean Fried chicken (soy and garlic)..............................so frikkin worth it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    This skates very close to my most hated weight loss "motivational" phrase - that "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".

I went to Weight Watchers for about a year in the late 80s and the meeting leader would chant that phrase at the end of every weekly meeting and had us say it with her. I haven't liked hearing or seeing it ever since. Makes me twitch.

• AnnPT77
    This skates very close to my most hated weight loss "motivational" phrase - that "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".

I went to Weight Watchers for about a year in the late 80s and the meeting leader would chant that phrase at the end of every weekly meeting and had us say it with her. I haven't liked hearing or seeing it ever since. Makes me twitch.

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" is a poorly constructed proposition, besides. There absolutely are things that taste as good for the two or five minutes it takes to eat them as skinny feels for that same two or five minutes. The problem is that it doesn't work that way.

Memes existed before the internet. They were dumb then, too.