Cheese Admiration and Celebration

Options

Replies

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Second attempt at cheese souffle using timing and proportions suggested by @BarbaraHelen2013 and they were almost perfect. I put the air fryer at 200C whereas my original recipe suggested 160C. They rose like crazy but overbrowned on top. Terrific texture at 20 baking time. My conclusion is that cheese souffle is not as tricky as I used to think. Next attempt will be the same proportions and time but a lower temperature.
    ejrhzp3y5voe.jpeg

Omg I want this.

• carla711
    carla711 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat cheese, I would barely get any calcium. :D
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    First time I’ve consciously seen a Blue Goat’s Cheese, although I’m sure they exist. This one is delicious - not aggressively blue but balanced by the tang of goat’s cheese. It’s a semi hard cheese I think…didn’t melt into my pasta sauce as well as the Abergavenny soft Goat's Cheese I usually use but tasted amazing. 😋

c28jm89e9ryc.jpeg
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    First time I’ve consciously seen a Blue Goat’s Cheese, although I’m sure they exist. This one is delicious - not aggressively blue but balanced by the tang of goat’s cheese. It’s a semi hard cheese I think…didn’t melt into my pasta sauce as well as the Abergavenny soft Goat's Cheese I usually use but tasted amazing. 😋

c28jm89e9ryc.jpeg
    Lovely. Blue goat cheese is delicious but can be hard to find. Sheep cheese, while not the same, tends to be similar and is easier to find, such as Roquefort.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,685 Member
    Options
    We are still in Valencia and had another cheesy tapa tonight. A thick slab of brie topped with a slice of braised artichoke heart followed by parma ham. The stack was put under the broiler.
    b9hyedfr4rok.jpeg

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    Now, Midnight Moon is on sale here. These Cypress Grove people - I think they're importer/resellers not makers - they deliver some good cheese, IMO.

3zhjv2izseox.jpg

@acpgee - you make me want to put Valencia on my bucket list . . . though maybe more for those multiple grilled veg yums in the produce thread, because (as a veg) no ham is my thing. Brie and braised artichoke heart, though . . . 😋🤤
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,456 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77

Nope. They are a creamery in NorCal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @AnnPT77

@mtaratoot, Midnight Moon is "Made Exclusively For Cypress Grove in Holland" according to its label (the whole-cheese label, not the mini label on the chunk shown in my photo).
  • acpgee
    Options
    @AnnPT77, @mtaratoot
    The picture of Midnight Moon by Cypress Groove sure looks like mature goat gouda, my favourite dutch cheese. I googled and it is indeed an aged goat cheese. I think @BartBVanBockstaele mentioned his favourite goat gouda was from the Beemster area (north of Amsterdam). When I was living in Amsterdam the local old goat gouda would have probably have been from Beemster or Waterland (NE of Amsterdam). If you see unbranded goat gouda (especially the older ones) give that a try.
  • acpgee
    Options
    We are leaving tomorrow from Valencia, and will head to the central market to buy cheese and charcuterie to drag home. I normally bring back manchego from Spain and will definitely try to find the hard goat cheese we had stacked on beef tomatoes as a tapa. Any other recommendations?
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    Options
    @AnnPT77, @mtaratoot
    The picture of Midnight Moon by Cypress Groove sure looks like mature goat gouda, my favourite dutch cheese. I googled and it is indeed an aged goat cheese. I think @BartBVanBockstaele mentioned his favourite goat gouda was from the Beemster area (north of Amsterdam). When I was living in Amsterdam the local old goat gouda would have probably have been from Beemster or Waterland (NE of Amsterdam). If you see unbranded goat gouda (especially the older ones) give that a try.
    I think I should have been more precise. It was from the Beemster brand. I am not sure how the names they use are actually connected to the cheese. I have reasons to suspect they choose the names for marketing reasons, not because there is an actual link. That said, Bemster Gouda really remains one of my favourite cheeses, even if - sadly - my diet has led me to scrap it (for now? forever?).

• acpgee
    Options
    I absolutely need to look for cabrales at the market tomorrow, a blue goat cheese after seeing the post of @BarbaraHelen2013.
    https://spainguides.com/gastronomy-of-spain/spanish-cheese/
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,456 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @AnnPT77

@mtaratoot, Midnight Moon is "Made Exclusively For Cypress Grove in Holland" according to its label (the whole-cheese label, not the mini label on the chunk shown in my photo).

Well wow. Thanks for the edification!

I will check when I'm well enough to go out in public. I might even treat myself to some cheese. You KNOW which one it will be. Same creamery, and I'm pretty sure they make that one down in Arcata. Maybe I'll make a road trip and check it out. Maybe they'll hire me to milk some goats for a week in exchange for a few pounds of the stuff.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Tonight's last dinner in Valencia included a tapa of melted provoleta sprinkled with dried oregano and chilli. I think i prefer the version we had on the Canary Islands, which was typically served with a sweet garnish such as date molasses or blueberry jam.
    e8rlk09tb2pk.jpeg
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,730 Member
    Options
    Not a cheese connoisseur but I did recently have a soft, spreadable Dutch cheese with bits of semi-soft dried orange in it.

Can’t remember the name but sharp and occasionally sweet.

Very good.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Modest cheese haul from Valencia. I asked for cabrales and idiazabel but I suspect I got two pieces of cabrales. We were in a rush prior to heading for the airport and I forgot to get manchego and picon bejes-treviso.
    7g1gnjec6bbm.jpeg
  • widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Found this thread this week and y'all have inspired me. Went to the farmers market and came back with this cheese haul. Had samples of all and they are delish. $53 for 4 hunks o cheese was a bit expensive, but 2nd to last weekend of the market so i splurged. 84b0ex6izc2g.jpg
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @AnnPT77, @mtaratoot
    I think I should have been more precise. It was from the Beemster brand. I am not sure how the names they use are actually connected to the cheese. I have reasons to suspect they choose the names for marketing reasons, not because there is an actual link. That said, Bemster Gouda really remains one of my favourite cheeses, even if - sadly - my diet has led me to scrap it (for now? forever?).
    I don't know why I did not think of this earlier, but here is a picture I took of the way Beemster goat Gouda is presented at our local Loblaws. The picture is from 2019, but it still looks the same right now. I do not like their marketing techniques, but I do love their cheeses, all of them, but the goat one is certainly my favourite.
    uq1f0wjq5xu2.png
    In the beginning of 2022, a few experiments with cheese led me to ban it from my diet altogether, but this was certainly not because I had stopped liking it. However, the ban somehow led to "food serenity" for me and I am very happy about that. That success led me to ban nuts as well and the effect was the same. My diet immediately became a lot more sustainable, the stress associated with it diminished immediately, to the point I am talking about "my forever diet" now.
    iwuk7lhv45fr.png