Hitting my calorie goal and exercising but still not losing weight

Options
Been on a 1600 calorie diet each day. Most days I meet the goal or go under. Rarely do I go over 1600 calories. I exercise 3-5 times a week (my work schedule permitting) and I still haven’t lost any weight. I haven’t gained any either but I need to lose 15 more pounds and I have only lost 2 the entire 45 days I’ve been here. Help!
Tagged:

Replies

• I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
    It’s always fishy when someone says I NEED to lose…
    Why? According to who? In comparison to who??
    You mean you would like to lose my body fat to be able to see your muscles more? Be specific please
  • Charocheris
    Charocheris Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Been on a 1600 calorie diet each day. Most days I meet the goal or go under. Rarely do I go over 1600 calories. I exercise 3-5 times a week (my work schedule permitting) and I still haven’t lost any weight. I haven’t gained any either but I need to lose 15 more pounds and I have only lost 2 the entire 45 days I’ve been here. Help!

I did the same exact thing during one of my weight loss endeavours. I was eating under calorie and exercising my socks off the scale did not budge at all. Then I weighed myself on some pharmacy scales and was shocked to realise that I had been losing weight. Turned out I had been placing the scales on carpet which never reflects true weight. The other way to tell is how your clothes fit. Are they loose?

• mattmstrvch97
    mattmstrvch97 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I could show you my diary but im not sure how to make it public. Also I only log cardio but not my strength training because it doesn’t count the calories for strength workouts.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I need to lose 15 more pounds and I have only lost 2 the entire 45 days I’ve been here. Help!

A lot of people will try to get you to address your calories--perhaps even correctly--but given that you admit that you're losing, albeit slower than you believe you should, I will ask you to first address your measurement of your rate of loss.

How many "weight samples" have you taken? Have you plotted them on a graph? Are you female with your weight periodically fluctuating according to the time of the month? If yes, are your 45 days comparing two points during the same phase in your monthly cycle?

A weight trend app or web site could help you better visualize your progress... AND I can't help but notice that you ARE on track to lose >16lbs in 52 weeks. So why the hurry?

Is it because you're planning to change things once you hit your goal? If you are, what mix of old and new behaviors are you planning to adopt?

Inquiring minds and all that! ;-)
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Then I weighed myself on some pharmacy scales and was shocked to realise that I had been losing weight. Turned out I had been placing the scales on carpet which never reflects true weight.
    I would add to this that many household scales are shockingly inaccurate and inconsistent. Inaccuracy does not matter much, if that inaccuracy is consistent, because trends will be revealed anyway, but inconsistency can be deadly. For example, my personal scale showed a certain weight, then I went for a good pee or poop, and it showed weight gain instead of loss. Needless to say that such instantaneous weight gain is an impossibility in these circumstances. So, I bought a mechanical beam-style medical scale and that enabled me to track my weight accurately and –more importantly– with consistent (in)accuracy. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    I could show you my diary but im not sure how to make it public. Also I only log cardio but not my strength training because it doesn’t count the calories for strength workouts.

In web MFP, it's Home > Settings, scroll to the bottom of the page, click "public" (that's just MFP-member public, IMU, not the whole world). Looks like this:

s2s0iyz6hdj6.jpg

In the Android phone/tablet app, from home page, it's under More > Settings > Diary Settings > Diary Sharing. (I assume Apple/iOS is similar.) I'm not going to try a screen shots, because it's just a sequence of menu clicks.

Again, I'm not saying you ought to do this: It's up to you. If you want others to take a look, this is how to do it. It's completely optional.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Yeah, this is a common source of confusion. To get calories for strength training, log it under cardio. I use "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" but not "Weight training, free weights" which seems inflated.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    To get calories for strength training, log it under cardio. I use "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" but not "Weight training, free weights" which seems inflated.
    Curious, how big a difference is there between the two? I'd check myself, but don't want it added permanently to my frequent choices.

I use the one you mention. I also drop about 20% from the listed amount, since I prefer to have conservative estimates. It's all a wild guess anyway, based on a MET multiplier which can vary widely due to intensity, type of weight training, etc. That may match better my net calories too, i.e. not counting the "at rest" calories I'd have burned doing nothing instead of working out.

e.g. it suggests to me 308 calories for 60 mins, so I enter 250. If I do about 75 mins, I call it 300 instead of the suggested 385. Then what I've entered is fair game to eat back.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This is an inexact science and calorie counting is subject to a lot of human error...using incorrect entries, forgetting or neglecting to log certain things, eye balling servings or using volume measurements for things that should be by weight, overestimating exercise calories, etc.

Your situation would suggest that you are actually eating maintenance calories despite what is going into your diary.

Yeah, short and concise. Took the words right out of my mouth. Cheers
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,845 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    You need to drop 3,500 calories a week or if sedentary get out and walk also.

Lifestyle? Sedentary or...?
    Age?
    Weight?
    Height?

Exercise doesn't really burn as many cals as most think plus it has a tendency to increase appetite so don't overdo it. Your major cal burn is your NEAT. Make sure protein is sufficient or even a bit more than sufficient as it has a TEF 0f 25% which is 5X more than carbs and fat. Limit or eliminate alcohol and ultra processed carbs

You can do all the math you want however your body doesn't know numbers, only if it's given energy to maintain weight, lose weight or add weight.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited December 2022
    Options
    You need to drop 3,500 calories a week or if sedentary get out and walk also.

Lifestyle? Sedentary or...?
    Age?
    Weight?
    Height?

Exercise doesn't really burn as many cals as most think plus it has a tendency to increase appetite so don't overdo it. Your major cal burn is your NEAT. Make sure protein is sufficient or even a bit more than sufficient as it has a TEF 0f 25% which is 5X more than carbs and fat. Limit or eliminate alcohol and ultra processed carbs

You can do all the math you want however your body doesn't know numbers, only if it's given energy to maintain weight, lose weight or add weight.

Don't forget fibre. It has an energy extraction value of around 40-50% and that is less than any other macronutrient. On top of that, it is highly beneficial in making waste expulsion a less unpleasant experience.
  • tomcustombuilder
    edited December 2022
    Options
    waste expulsion .
    Lol, waste expulsion my new favorite term.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    To get calories for strength training, log it under cardio. I use "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" but not "Weight training, free weights" which seems inflated.
    Curious, how big a difference is there between the two? I'd check myself, but don't want it added permanently to my frequent choices.

I use the one you mention. I also drop about 20% from the listed amount, since I prefer to have conservative estimates. It's all a wild guess anyway, based on a MET multiplier which can vary widely due to intensity, type of weight training, etc. That may match better my net calories too, i.e. not counting the "at rest" calories I'd have burned doing nothing instead of working out.

e.g. it suggests to me 308 calories for 60 mins, so I enter 250. If I do about 75 mins, I call it 300 instead of the suggested 385. Then what I've entered is fair game to eat back.

Here are the values for me for an hour:

6qraefh4apum.png
  • Retroguy2000
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Here are the values for me for an hour:

6qraefh4apum.png
    Thanks. For me, the first estimate would imply an MET of about 4 per hour. Google for resistance training tells me it's about 3.5-6 depending on intensity.

Extrapolating the second estimate for me would imply an MET of about 6.3 per hour, so yeah it's way too high.

Note, in case anyone looks closely at the numbers there, I included 1 MET to the implied effort in the estimate, since we should subtract about 1 MET per hour which is the resting calories already accounted for in MFP's TDEE estimate.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    Forget the numbers, people, they’re insignificant at best. They’re fun and seem like a legit factor but they’re not. If no loss after 2 weeks your calories are too high regardless off what your device says.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Forget the numbers, people, they’re insignificant at best. They’re fun and seem like a legit factor but they’re not. If no loss after 2 weeks your calories are too high regardless off what your device says.
    I'd take about a month, but I completely agree. the numbers for exercise are just as trustworthy as horoscopes and prayer. If weight is not lost, and you do not have some type of edema, you are simply ingesting too much energy. In my own case, MFP is telling me that I exercised away 566 Kcal today. That is complete nonsense. All I did, was walk from my front door to my window and back while playing some video on a tablet and have my phone count the steps.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    In my own case, MFP is telling me that I exercised away 566 Kcal today. That is complete nonsense. All I did, was walk from my front door to my window and back while playing some video on a tablet and have my phone count the steps.
    Something wrong with your tracker? According to a calculator I just checked, I'd have to do 9500 steps to burn 566 cals.