Replies

• annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link AnnPT77
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    @ mtaratoot - Perfect post! I too have an abundance of quinoa in my fridge! Left over from a salad a made for a potluck party I went to...I too live alone and using all this left over stuff is overwhelming...I will attempt to recreate your 'fried quinoa-'rice' dish today! Either that, or in the freezer it will go 😂
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    @PAPYRUS3

I bought a ceramic cooktop range several years ago. I love the convection oven, and for the most part love the cooktop. It does make it hard to use my beloved cast iron. Using a proper wok is right out, and that makes me sad. This dish would be really good in a wok. I just used a fry pan. Not the same; doesn't get that "fried rice" flavor. But it was good, and I'd do it again. I bet it would also work with barley.

I always start onions first and add garlic at the very very end. I like my garlic less cooked and coarsely chopped. As I added the carrots, I realized how often I unintentionally use a mirepoix when I make vegetables. So there it was. Just with some grocery store mushrooms and of course the garlic. I would have used more garlic, but being laid up, I don't want to run low on supplies.

What other leftovers do you have?

A few years ago on a Grand Canyon trip that we had outfitted by a commercial outfitter rather than pack our own food, one of my cook nights had a orzo salad. I've never made orzo salad. We had realized early on that the outfitter packs TOO MUCH pasta when there is a pasta meal. We would always leave one package uncooked. Well, I had no idea how much orzo to cook. We left out one package. It still made SO MUCH orzo. I didn't even use it all in the salad. Good thing, because it would have been awful. Too much orzo and not enough of all the stuff that gives it flavor.

The next day was a layover day. One of our group got up and left early for a long hike. When I got up, I realized we had a couple eggs that weren't called for in any other recipes. I made "orzo pancakes." I mixed up the leftover orzo with some spices and a couple eggs, then made patties and fried them on the griddle. Everyone loved them. One of our group called them "taratoots." They went over very well; I'd make them again. I was inspired from something I had seen "The Frugal Gourmet" make maybe back in the '80s that he called "spaghetti pancake." Later in the trip, maybe on another layover morning or maybe the last day, the same guy said, "Make those taratoots again." I told him we hadn't cooked orzo the night before, and we had no more eggs. It's fun to experiment, especially if it comes out good. You could make quinoa pancakes! You could even mix in a few veggies. I think you might need some flour or other binder; I'm not sure the egg would hold 'em all together.

Good luck. Let us know what you do with it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    https://tastecooking.com/best-thing-make-air-fryer-isnt-fried/

I love this idea for air frying grains tossed in olive oil to incorporate into salads. I do it when I have leftover quinoa or cousous but need to try rice. It makes salad filling enough for a packed lunch.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of coriander in danger of spoiling so made zhoug. Will smother it on everything this weekend and freeze what is left. My other produce report is chickpeas. I cooked them in the diluted broth saved from the last time I made salt beef. Wow. This follows the revelation of cooking puy lentils in seafood bisque last week. I will never cook pulses in water again.
    zvuzbpabws3c.jpeg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I found my jar of black-eyed peas. So sad - there's only like a cup left. I started them soaking anyway. It's OK. I'm only cooking for myself, and it's just for tradition.

I feel foolish I didn't get buttermilk while I was out yesterday. If I want to make cornbread sticks tomorrow, also tradition, I'll have to scoot out and get some or see if someone else will do that for me.

Today's produce dish is a little like yesterday's but is more like a big mushy glop. Tasty though.

Like yesterday, I started with sauteing some onions. This time finely diced instead of sliced. I didn't cook them very long before adding the chopped celery and just a couple sliced mushrooms. A very short cook and I added the garlic and only a quarter cup of brown Basmati rice. When it started to smell toasty, I added some water and broth and then a half cup of red lentils. Turned to low and let cook for 45 minutes. It needed just a little something else, so a splash of fish sauce rounded it out.

Again, it's enough for two meals. It has a lot of the same ingredients as yesterday except no fish or nuts and added the lentils which made it more of a mushy stew, and oh so good.

Bring on the new year! I do want to make that cornbread and deliver a bunch around the neighborhood. One of my friends got COVID the other day. I bet he'll enjoy some sticks. The neighbors who fed me a couple days during my initial recovery from injury also love the stuff. Then I'll need to find some other folks to help eat it or I'll eat it all. And I love it. I have enough cast iron corn stick pans to do an entire batch of sticks, and if I make one BIG batch, I can also make those little triangles with my corn triangle pan. I don't even remember the last time I made any.

Come join me. I'll have enough!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Another holiday produce-fest for NYE, conceived for personal enjoyment rather than any other value, with willingness to put in a little more effort than usual for the occasion. The soup (stew?) was especially yummy, if I do say so myself.

Soup: Sauteed onions (in olive oil), elephant garlic added at the last bit; sweet corn (frozen ;) ), rutabaga, red lentils, carrot, couple teaspoons of a vegetable soup base, smoked goat gouda added when I took it off the stove, fresh ground pepper. Really good, one of my better efforts: Veggie-sweet, rich, smoky, satisfying. No leftovers! 😆

Salad: Roasted cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, English cucumber, orange bell pepper, onion, topped with aged balsamic vinegar, some pumpkin seeds, and a light sprinkle of coarse sea salt.

4e2nom9ubg9s.jpg
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I found my jar of black-eyed peas. So sad - there's only like a cup left. I started them soaking anyway. It's OK. I'm only cooking for myself, and it's just for tradition.

I feel foolish I didn't get buttermilk while I was out yesterday. If I want to make cornbread sticks tomorrow, also tradition, I'll have to scoot out and get some or see if someone else will do that for me.

(snip yummy details)

Bring on the new year! I do want to make that cornbread and deliver a bunch around the neighborhood. One of my friends got COVID the other day. I bet he'll enjoy some sticks. The neighbors who fed me a couple days during my initial recovery from injury also love the stuff. Then I'll need to find some other folks to help eat it or I'll eat it all. And I love it. I have enough cast iron corn stick pans to do an entire batch of sticks, and if I make one BIG batch, I can also make those little triangles with my corn triangle pan. I don't even remember the last time I made any.

Come join me. I'll have enough!

@mtaratoot: I wish . . . especially since I do have buttermilk I could share. I bought some thinking I'd make a batch of Southern buttermilk biscuits (using Shirley Corriher's excellent recipe in Cookwise, a favorite book) for my Christmas feast, but didn't. Maybe tomorrow, we'll see - it's still within date range. There's really no nutritional defense for those biscuits, but they're sooooo good fresh from the oven.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    @AnnPT77

Good buttermilk biscuits do not need nutritional defense. They just need.... butter. I finally learned how to make really good biscuits, and maybe it's just as good I am not making any. Frozen butter chunks. Cold dough. Fold and fold and fold and don't touch too much with hands. Stack 'em close in the pan so they can support each other as they grow. Yeah, I said grow instead of rise because if they don't have nutritional defense, at least they can be noble and help each other.

My cornbread needs no defense, just willing eaters. I like to toss in some hot chiles in the batter, either dried of fresh. Sometimes fresh (or frozen) corn. Sometimes not. I use a combination of dry ingredients that is very heavy on corn and very light on wheat flour. I mix cornmeal, masa, and polenta with just about 25% or less whole wheat flour. It's a nice combination of tender and toothy.

The other trick is the cast iron. I get the pans HOT in the oven before I even mix the wet with the dry. When they are hot, they come out of the oven, and I mix. Then I briefly wipe down the iron with butter. It sizzles and sometimes gets too brown, but whatever. Add the batter, and that sizzles and sears and seals. Pop it in the oven, and sometimes when it's ALMOST done, I wipe the top with more butter. That makes them a little greasy, but you really need to add no more butter. They are really good when they are fresh from the oven and hot. Later you can still reheat them, and they're still quite good. If you're like me, you'll eat too many.

Some of my cast iron was my grandmother's. I've collected a few more corn stick pans over the years. The triangle pan was hers as was a couple of the stick pans.

You've seen pictures of these going back at least three years in this very thread.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    Today's tasty supper came with some frustration.

I wanted split peas AND lentils. They cook different times, but that's easy to manage.

I started with a mirepoix and added some mushrooms and garlic. No big deal. I added enough water for both peas and lentils, and I added the peas. Ten minutes later I added the lentils. It came out quite good.

While the peas were cooking, I entered all the ingredients in my log. I used the same entries for split peas and dried lentils I've been using lately. As it turns out, if I ate the whole pot, I would have been over on my calories by about 200. So I looked at that big pot and decided I surely didn't need to eat it all. So I went to the recipe section and manually added a recipe using the exact text strings from the ingredients I had put in my diary. I figured that way MFP would find the same foods I was using.

Well go figure. I called it four servings, and if I ate all four, I would be about 200 calories UNDER for the day.

That is a 400 calorie difference between adding each item directly to my diary versus letting MFP pick ingredients by however it picks to add to the recipe. Maybe I'll eat the whole thing.

I am going to go try to find a good place to post this story just as an example of why it's really important to be careful about what entries you choose to put in your diary. I was really surprised.

Oh. Yeah - total simmer time about 20 minutes. I cooked the peas about 12 minutes before adding the lentils for eight. The lentils were still whole and delicious instead of mush. The peas were perfect. The mushrooms and garlic added a lot; just needed a little salt. No pictures tonight even though it wasn't beige.
  • mtaratoot
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I cooked garbanzo beans today. I usually leave the lid on when I cook beans, but the lid for this pot fell to the ground and smashed into pieces a few weeks ago. I cooked them with the lid off, and I think they came out better.

I took most of them and made a garbanzo salad. Red onion, shallot, celery, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and a couple kinds of balsamic vinegar. I would add parsley, but I have none. I tasted it, and it's fine, but it will be better tomorrow.

jrftj7nrxysy.jpg

I left some of the beans in the pot, and I pureed them with an immersion blender. I figured I would have some bean soup with the last of my cornbread tonight. Lucky me; a friend came by to drop off a cooler I loaned them and to pick up some things they had stashed in my freezer when they had lost electricity for several days from the last big wind storm. I gave her six pieces of cornbread for them to share so I'm left with not too much. I can always make more. It's good, and now I don't have to worry about eating it ALL.

Well... I won't even eat all that's left. I might save all of it for tomorrow, because I cooked something else. I think cauliflower goes great with garbanzos. I had a huge one - about a kilogram. I broke it into chunks, tossed with sunflower oil, then tossed with salt, pepper, Madras curry, smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried basil, and a couple other tasty things. I tossed in between each spice addition. For good measure, I tossed in a little olive oil on top. It filled two cooking trays. Into a 425 degree convection oven and turned after 25 minutes and cooked another 20. I took the small pieces pictured below and added them to the soup for texture, and the big pieces.... I probably won't be able to eat them tonight. I'll have 'em tomorrow. Or a late-night snack.

3t3gofqg9akh.jpg

I almost took the big chunks out with the small ones, but instead stuck 'em in for ten more minutes. They came out perfect. Just a little black and crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. The curry has a sweetness when combined with the cauliflower.

The soup is pretty damn tasty. Good bean flavor, and the cauliflower gives it a nice texture and an additional flavor. Yeah; it's kind of beige.

ro29urf0st3b.jpg
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Those beets are such a gorgeous color! Little gems of deliciousness.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Those beets are such a gorgeous color! Little gems of deliciousness.

Yes, I finally shared something that wasn't beige!

I wanted to dig in to the fresh salad greens while they were really FRESH and at their peak flavor and nutrition. I have more beets left. Today I might roast the rutabaga. I also might put my black bean soup in the freezer, just for a day, so I can then take it out and have it still be good a few more days than if I just leave it in the refrigerator since I also have a bunch of black bean SALAD, and I want to eat more than beans.