How do you eat healthy when the rest of your family only wants to eat junk?

I truly need advice on this one. My husband & 13 year old boy are naturally thin, no matter what they eat. I do the shopping & cooking. I want to make healthier meals but I know it will be a challenge to get them to eat anything other than frozen pizza, nuggets, fries, hot pockets, mac n cheese, pizza rolls, snack cakes, etc. Non-frozen things they like me to make include spaghetti with cheese and garlic bread, meatloaf (cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped) and mashed potatoes, chili, loaded potato soup, cheese ravioli, biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage, tacos, French toast, burgers, etc. Basically nothing healthy. I feel like in order for me to be successful I'm going to have to make completely separate meals for me and for them. And that sounds super overwhelming and like it will add more temptation. I'm just curious how other people in here have managed to eat better even when your family wants nothing to do with the idea lol

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I have a similar situation. I have 4 males in the family and I make pasta or risotto for them everyday for lunch, and a protein and vegetable for the evening meal. I plan something else for myself. I always have leftovers, so maybe for me, protein with a salad or a little pasta and a leftover vegetable. Today, I have a leftover barley vegetable soup for me and ravioli for them. They fill in with cold cuts, tuna, bread, salad, and cheese as they see fit.

It's really not hard once you work it out.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    Your list of things you make for dinner sounds a lot like what I like to eat. You can reduce calories and fat here and there (less oil, a little less cheese, etc.) and it will be painless and not noticeable. “Lighter” doesn’t mean it’s “diet” or gross or anything, it just means it’s been prepared with thought. You can get really good at this with practice. (Tip: Keep your changes secret until after they thank you for a delicious meal!)

Also, are you sure they would balk at new recipes? I had a Cooking Light cookbook when my kids were growing up and they still call to ask for recipes from that book. There is a Greek burger recipe that my son chose for his birthday dinner!
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    The goal you have in mind ( if you have any) is not worth the work you’re willing to put in.
    For me, even when I was snacking on “small amounts” of junk food, i was getting nowhere near what I wanted my physique to look like.
    It wasn’t until I told my-SELF, “hey, you’re going to compete in your first show ever! Get your self a coach, pay him, and do it! This way if you don’t want to stick to the protocol or feel like cheating on a snack here and there, it’ll sting a lot, since you’ve put money into it, and you know damn well how hard it is to acquire that money”.
    After I signed up with a coach ( a week later) it was game on and I’ve never looked back!
    Going on 12 weeks now, with 11 weeks out from my first show.
    So my advice, invest in your goals, this’ll be a huge motivating factor. It’ll also make your husband keep you in check because he knows money don’t grow on trees either.
    As a bonus, the dramatic changes in your physique will spice up your marriage 😉
  • Mise_enPlace
    Mise_enPlace Posts: 61 Member
    My husband is the same way. Eats whatever he wants and remains slim. I eat a smaller portion of the dinner I make for him and add more vegetables. Earlier this week I pre chopped veggies for roasting, let them cool, and stuck them in the fridge for later. For example, I roasted butternut squash, carrots, and brussels sprouts in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes (took the sprouts out at 20 minutes), let them cool and stuck them in the fridge. Those veggies were used for 3 days of meals. You could even cut all of them up, stick them in a bowl to roast (steam, put in soup) later. I used to find it overwhelming, but set the timer on your phone while you chop and you will see chopping doesn't take too much time at all and if you keep doing it, it becomes an easier habit. Think of it as self care.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I truly need advice on this one. My husband & 13 year old boy are naturally thin, no matter what they eat. I do the shopping & cooking. I want to make healthier meals but I know it will be a challenge to get them to eat anything other than frozen pizza, nuggets, fries, hot pockets, mac n cheese, pizza rolls, snack cakes, etc. Non-frozen things they like me to make include spaghetti with cheese and garlic bread, meatloaf (cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped) and mashed potatoes, chili, loaded potato soup, cheese ravioli, biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage, tacos, French toast, burgers, etc. Basically nothing healthy. I feel like in order for me to be successful I'm going to have to make completely separate meals for me and for them. And that sounds super overwhelming and like it will add more temptation. I'm just curious how other people in here have managed to eat better even when your family wants nothing to do with the idea lol

As others have stated, a lot of these meals can be subtly altered or added to in order to make them better for your goals.

If it were me, I'd tell the family to make their frozen favorites on their own for lunches or snacks.

For dinners, you can make some adjustments to the amount of butter, oil, or cheese to the dishes and the family probably wouldn't notice. Then, just have a smaller portion and add a salad or vegetable side dish for yourself.

A burger with a side salad and some roasted broccoli is a nice meal. You can throw some French fries in the oven for the rest of them if they don't want side veggies.

Pasta and chili are easy to doctor up with extra vegetables that add bulk without adding a lot of calories. Hopefully, your family is not totally vegetable-adverse and would be willing to try this.

Tacos are really versatile, too. Since everyone typically builds their own anyway, find tortillas and toppings that fit your goals without having to sacrifice taco night.
  • kelliward1
    kelliward1 Posts: 99 Member
    Sometimes it's taking the family favorites and making them a little healthier....use lower sodium broth, low sodium canned food if you have to use canned. We use ground turkey instead of ground beef for spaghetti and tacos. For spaghetti we have switched to whole wheat pasta. Like other have said, have a smaller serving of the main dish and a side salad. I've also started using a smaller plate to serve myself.

When we make tacos we put in a can of no salt added black beans (drained) in with the meat..it makes more Taco filling and the extra fiber is great too. They pick up thr Taco seasoning flavor so you really dont notice the beans. I turn mine into a Taco bowl with a serving of brown rice, Taco meat, some cheese, lettuce (and what ever other veggies you want) and crush up a few tortilla Chios for crunch. It's so good..I look forward to it after work when I know it's Taco day.
  • mrszr8765
    mrszr8765 Posts: 1 Member
    Have you thought about implementing intermittent fasting? Having a smaller window to consume the calories means more calories per meal. So far its been working for my similar family. I make the kids their breakfast and lunch, send them to school. My husband makes his own lunch. Then I cook dinner. If we have a dinner worth 1,000 cal, it's no big deal because I usually have that many left for dinner.
    Lots of people do 16 hours fasting and 8 hours window to eat. Some do one meal per day and eat all their calories then. There's different programs for timing but all of them allow more calories per meal by default because of timing! The first few days you would ease in, but honestly the body adjusts quickly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Unfortunately, this is YOUR uptaking and not theirs. So you'll have to prep for yourself. OR as mentioned, eat what they do, but stay well within your calorie restriction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited January 2023
    so, no one in my family was/is willing to change their eating - and I had to decide if I wanted to make changes for me even if that meant eating different foods.... As I am the cook, I make adjustments where I can, and cook different sides. for example, meats in a divided pan - theirs with sauces, mine with spices. I found 'batch cooking' to help - simply making enough to last 2 or 3 meals so I cook fresh dinner entrees 2 or 3 times a week - and for me, i batch cook/cook ahead sometimes veggies or my lunches like a big pot of soup. Even though it is more work, it was the way through for me to make progress with my personal goals. When it gets tempting to eat 'their' foods because of smell, handling, etc.... I remind myself 'it's their food, not mine, I have my own delicious food that nourishes my body that I also love/enjoy eating." things like that... it's (you are) worth exploring ways to get you going on your own goals. Cheers :)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    The goal you have in mind ( if you have any) is not worth the work you’re willing to put in.
    For me, even when I was snacking on “small amounts” of junk food, i was getting nowhere near what I wanted my physique to look like.
    It wasn’t until I told my-SELF, “hey, you’re going to compete in your first show ever! Get your self a coach, pay him, and do it! This way if you don’t want to stick to the protocol or feel like cheating on a snack here and there, it’ll sting a lot, since you’ve put money into it, and you know damn well how hard it is to acquire that money”.
    After I signed up with a coach ( a week later) it was game on and I’ve never looked back!
    Going on 12 weeks now, with 11 weeks out from my first show.
    So my advice, invest in your goals, this’ll be a huge motivating factor. It’ll also make your husband keep you in check because he knows money don’t grow on trees either.
    As a bonus, the dramatic changes in your physique will spice up your marriage 😉

I'm asking "Did you read the OP?" She is asking for help balancing cooking for family and then herself. She didn't ask about a personal trainer, or getting a "physique" to "spice up her marriage". Perhaps her marriage is spicy enough? Her "goal" is organization. How is investing in that going to work? This is the most off-the-wall answer I've seen. Not everyone is going to do a "show".

😂😂
  • JenMarieD87
    JenMarieD87 Posts: 34 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Unfortunately, this is YOUR uptaking and not theirs. So you'll have to prep for yourself. OR as mentioned, eat what they do, but stay well within your calorie restriction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I already prep for myself and everyone else. That's my point. They want me to feed them but all they want to eat is garbage. Im not expecting them to do anything for me.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 872 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    In my family it's always been... Mom's cooking, she's in control of the meals. Suggestions are welcome, but she'll modify them as she sees fit. Don't like it? Then cook your own dinner.

This! 👆🏻

I also agree.. even though your family is thin.. trying to make them eat healthier as the matriarch .. may help them years from now. Could be an opportunity to talk about health and nutrition in the family.