What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Another boring report of the same old thing: Stationary bike, 1 hour at 102W, 3' CD at 83W; overall, 25,003 simulated meters at 15.5 fake mph, HR average 128 (71% HRmax), peak 144 (80%), mostly Z3 but remainder below.

Osteopath has sent the referral to my PT of choice, so I should hear from them soon to schedule. Shoulder's feeling better with some rest, just mildly glitchy. Maybe try machine rowing again next week if it continues this way or better.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,221 Member
    Options
    And another boring report of the same old thing; a short walk, and again without pain and almost no discomfort. My device even said I had a "brisk"pace.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Good workout this morning. Cranking up the intensity on the cardio, feels good to push.

Stretched

32 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max:140/161
    27 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 140/153

57 minutes lifting weights

Barbell box squats: 12@bar, 10@75, 8@105, 6@135, Drop set: 4@155, 4@125, 6@85, 8@bar
    Crunches: 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25
    Narrow stance leg-press: 12@210, 10@300, 8@390, 6@470, 6@470, Drop set: 6@470, 6@390, 8@300, 8@210
    Landmine twists: 10@65, 10@75, 8@85, 6@95, Drop set: 6@95, 6@75, 8@55

Stretched
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yesterday...
    AM
    Yoga (15m)
    Handstand Push-up (Wall supported) 3x5r (15)

PM
    Chins - 3x10r (30)
    Dips - 3x9r (27)

Today...
    AM
    Yoga (15m)
    Jumprope - 15x40s on 20s off

PM
    Kettlebell Iron Cardio (20m)
    20x1/1r (clean/press/squat/snatch)
    24kg

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    Back day in the weight room...

Inverted pullups 3x15
    Cable row 5x5
    Pulldown 4x10
    T-bar row 4x10
    Face pull 3x10
    High cable curl 3x15

Abs
    Suitcase DB carry 3x30sec
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Monday: cardio on the stationary bike.
    Today: PT session, we did core+arms on Saturday so hopefully doing legs today. Gym only has 2 platforms and I'm really hoping one will be open.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Elliptical interval setting, 47 minutes today, a bit over 3 miles.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Still stationary biking. Feeling kind of burned out tonight, set off thinking to stay around 75-80W, ended up at 91W on the 60' piece, 76W on the 3' CD. Average HR 119, peak 133 (about 74% HRmax).

Tried a couple of sets of dumbbell bench press, one stupid light and one very light. Just one exercise, so I can isolate effect. Didn't hurt, but felt somehow off, so we'll see how my shoulder feels tomorrow. Dang it.
  • BigMech
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Still stationary biking. Feeling kind of burned out tonight, set off thinking to stay around 75-80W, ended up at 91W on the 60' piece, 76W on the 3' CD. Average HR 119, peak 133 (about 74% HRmax).

Tried a couple of sets of dumbbell bench press, one stupid light and one very light. Just one exercise, so I can isolate effect. Didn't hurt, but felt somehow off, so we'll see how my shoulder feels tomorrow. Dang it.

If the chest press bothered your shoulder, try keeping your elbows tucked in further. I used to flare my elbows out too far when chest pressing and it bothered my shoulders. I now keep them at about a 45 degree angle from my shoulders and it feels much better.
  • BigMech
    Options
    Good workout this morning, upper-body, core and cardio

Stretched

32 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 143/166
    27 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 141/155

46 minutes lifting weights

Superset: Incline dumbbell press, Seated cable row, Seated overhead dumbbell press
    Chest: 15@35, 10@50, 8@60, 8@60, Drop set: 8@60, 8@45, 8@35
    Back: 15@100, 10@130, 8@150, 8@150, Drop set: 8@150, 8@130, 8@100
    Shoulders: 15@20, 10@25, 8@30, 8@30, Drop set: 8@30, 8@25, 8@20

Superset: Rope triceps press-downs, Crunches, Dumbbell curls, Weighted side-bends
    Triceps: 10@40, 10@40, 10@40
    Crunches: 25, 25, 25
    Biceps: 10@25, 10@25, 10@25
    Side-bends, each side: 10@30, 10@30, 10@30

Stretched
  • nossmf
    edited January 2023
    Options
    BigMech wrote: »
    If the chest press bothered your shoulder, try keeping your elbows tucked in further. I used to flare my elbows out too far when chest pressing and it bothered my shoulders. I now keep them at about a 45 degree angle from my shoulders and it feels much better.

This. In addition, you have full control over how low you lower the weights. Nothing says you have to lower them even with your chest or whatnot. Personally, I never lower below the point where my elbows are even with my chest, the weights above.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Been dealing with a painful elbow for several weeks, part of why I took the last 3 weeks of 2022 off from the gym. It helped, but when I resumed lifting with the new year, my elbow was still there complaining, just not as loudly. Did some research, all signs point to my having developed a case of tennis elbow, caused by repetitive weightlifting and exacerbated by all day spent typing on a computer. The suggested recovery includes taking up to 3 months away from whatever caused the issue in the first place. Since I can't get away from computers at work, guess I'll be bypassing the weight room until spring. Looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time on cardio for the next 12 weeks or so.

Elliptical - 5km hills
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Tuesday PT session, (1) assisted pull-ups, dumbbell shoulder press, bent-over dumbbell row. (2) hammer strength lat pull down (underhand)+hammer strength shoulder press (which to me is so much harder than dumbell shoulder press or other variations). (3) lat pull down variation + cable front raise w/ rope attachment (this one I really felt in my back and it was only 5lbs!).

I did 25 mins on the TM after, some jogging. I think I'm paying for this today though, my back is very stiff and threatening to lock up.

Today: Currently planning on either going to the gym for some active recovery or just doing some stretching at home. I can't go to the gym after work on Thursdays unless I go >8pm, which will affect my sleep so I don't like doing that. I'm still trying to figure out my Weds/Thursday schedule. Friday I usually just do cardio and Saturday morning I have my PT session. Open to suggestions/advice!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @BigMech and @nossmf, thanks for the bench press tips! I'll look out for those details next time I do them.

Mostly, my problem is the current rotator cuff irritation, caused by something else entirely (not sure what), that I'm waiting for physical therapy for. I've never had a problem with bench press before. (I've been lifting for around 20 years, though off and on, and to my discredit only seasonally in recent years. Past physical therapist told me not to do lateral raises - for a nerve impingement that manifested during pullovers, oddly enough - but other than that, I don't normally have problems with anything.) I tend to start light every restart, and once I get to a reasonable weight tend to increase reps/sets before weight, because I'm not as injury resilient at 67 as I used to be.

So, today I did a similar experiment with 3 rounds of light resistance supersetted DB flys (modified), tricep kickbacks, and shrugs. My osteopath had given me some boundaries pre physical therapy, which included the fly modifications (not down past the plane of my body so I didn't even go close), and he suggested the shrugs (though I usually like those anyway because they feel good for my chest/shoulder/neck surgery/radiation scar tissue).

The flys weren't painful, but still felt weird/iffy, so we'll see what tomorrow brings. The kickbacks and shrugs were totally pain free. I'm told not to do overhead press for now, which is a bummer: I need that kind of motion for lifting boats, so I like to do those in Winter.

Also, repeated the recent usual 60' + 3' CD stationary bike, at 94W and 81W average respectively. I'm wanting to let the intensity drop a little, but not by force, if ya know what I mean. @BigMech, I have that fan on my shopping list!

Shoulder's not as bad as it was a week ago, so I'll probably try machine rowing again a little next week (osteopath approved). Doing it recently, the drive (loaded phase) was fine, but something about the turnaround into the recovery (so no resistance on it at the time) was causing twinges. Weird.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Been dealing with a painful elbow for several weeks, part of why I took the last 3 weeks of 2022 off from the gym. It helped, but when I resumed lifting with the new year, my elbow was still there complaining, just not as loudly. Did some research, all signs point to my having developed a case of tennis elbow, caused by repetitive weightlifting and exacerbated by all day spent typing on a computer. The suggested recovery includes taking up to 3 months away from whatever caused the issue in the first place. Since I can't get away from computers at work, guess I'll be bypassing the weight room until spring. Looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time on cardio for the next 12 weeks or so.

Elliptical - 5km hills

I'm so sorry to hear that: Really frustrating. I had a bout of it a few years back, probably milder, but was able to keep rowing with it by using one of the tennis elbow straps. Not sure what ended it: Maybe better grip technique, but that wouldn't apply the same way to lifting.

Wishing you speedy recovery!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Elliptical - 5km hills

Likely because my weird golf swing, I get that bad during golf season. There are these rubber stick things that work fantastic for reducing pain. You twist them and they work the nerves/muscles leading to your forearm and it really helps your elbow pain. It's called a Theraband Flex Bar. All kinds of videos on it on YouTube. There are different moves for Tennis or Golf Elbow, but I can tell you, super effective and can get you out of pain pretty quickly.

I've been working out, just not posting as much. Sunday was an hour of steady state cardio (so was Tuesday and yesterday). Monday did an AM lift, followed by four 2K intervals (brave for me right now!). Didn't feel too, too miserable and got through it.

I've blocked this website (and several other distracting websites) during my work day on my work computer. It seems to be working as I'm kicking *kitten* at work, but that's why I'm not posting as much.
  • jlhalley7835
    jlhalley7835 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ran through arms and shoulders this morning with supersets and 30 second rests trying to keep the HR up. Finished it off with a 2 on 1 off interval on the elliptical.

o2bmis093onk.jpg
    vl9jaccqda4x.jpg
  • BigMech
    Options

Elliptical - 5km hills

I had a bout of elbow soreness a few years ago. I stopped doing bent over barbell rows, they seemed to irritate it the most. I also got a good set of neoprene elbow sleeves and wore them when doing any weighted work with my arms. The elbow sleeves made a huge difference for me, I'm still using them and haven't had any elbow issues since then. I've got the Rehband 5mm elbow support sleeves, ordered them from amazon.

When I started using the sleeves, I used lighter weight on anything that irritated my elbows, and was able to continue doing most of my workout. I also switched to prone grip on cable rows and lat pulldowns, which I find easier on the elbows. I found that Dumbbell rows hit the back just as well as the barbell rows.
  • BigMech
    Options
    Good cardio and core workout this morning.

Stretched

52 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 136/160
    32 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 132/151

27 minutes of core work
    Crunches: 6*30
    Kettlebell side swings, each side: 4*10
    Leg Raises: 4*10
    Landmine twists: 4*10@65lbs
    Toe touches: 4*10

Stretched