What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I hope you can find someone to get your nice tool fixed and running like a well oiled machine again.

Thank you. Me too!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I went caving at the weekend.

On Saturday, we did Craig Y Ffynnon. There were 9 of us, including 3 beginners, so we didn't far into the cave. It's odd, I'm definitely not super-fit for caving; but the trip struck me quite a gentle bimble. (It was only for about 4 hours. There was quite a lot of narrow crawling, though, and lots of mud.) All the beginners were properly broken by the end. It was minus 3 Celsius and there was snow on the ground, so getting changed at the car was not the most pleasant

On Sunday, we attempted Llanelli Quarry Pot. This is a more ambitious cave that Craig Y Ffynnon; there is a 25m pitch. None of the beginners were up for a second day's caving, so there were just 4 of us.

After a narrow entrance, there is a super-narrow rift. Jack and I didn't fit into the rift, so we gave up and came home.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Good workout this morning. Cardio and Core.

Stretched

60 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 138/162
    31 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 134/147

20 minutes of core work

Crunches, 4*30
    Weighted Side Bends, each side: 4*8@40
    Landmine Twists: 4*8@65
    Toe Touches: 4*10
    Windmills: 3*8

Stretched
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @alicephd
    dralicephd wrote: »
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    dralicephd wrote: »
    Yesterday did a repeat of the strength training that I did a couple of days ago. We'll see how two days apart sits in the body.

In the meantime, going to try a fix on the elliptical and see if I can get it to limp along for a little while longer while I shop for a new one.

I wasn't able to get a fix on my old elliptical but it did limp along (mine was the terrible screeching my ears had to put up with) while I was searching for a new one. New ones I priced at Dick's and other places ranged from $1000+ to almost $6000. And weren't anywhere near as good a quality as what I got for the gently used gym quality Precor. (Costs 9 K new. I got a great deal!) It has so much more versatility than my old Horizon. The different programmed settings Interval, Weight Loss, Versatile, Performance, Heart Rate and Manual are great. The ramp and tension changes automatically and no electricity, self generated. I definitely recommend the place I got it. Christen's Fitness Factory and they will ship anywhere. There is only 3 employees and the 1 is the owner.
    Best of luck on your hunt.

Thanks! In mine, the flywheel seems ok (I hope), but one of the foot pedals has broken. The spring mechanism has been loose for awhile (it's floppier than it should be) and now the actual pedal plastic has cracked and broken. I've been searching for a replacement part, but the company has been out of business for awhile and this is an older model (2006). I hate the thought of getting a whole new machine over a stupid piece of plastic, so my husband has it on the vice with a bunch of epoxy. We'll see if it holds. We had a conversation about maybe using it as a template to make a plywood version if the glue doesn't hold. :D Anyway, it's just a matter of time before other parts begin to fail, so I'll be keeping my eyes on the used market. Unless the fix doesn't work... then I might just suck it up and buy a new one.

Don't blame you then. Sounds like you have a handy husband. I googled fitness repair and found one in my same town. You could possibly find one if your husband's fix fails and they could possibly have a pedal that would work.
    They are the ones that told me mine was a goner and picked up and delivered my new one. I was lucky to find them so close. They repair and relocate fitness equipment in my area. They definitely have their own niche.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Just checking back in after a few weeks of doing no real exercise. During the holiday week, I had decided to give myself a few more weeks off, so I could get out duck and goose hunting with my dog.

I did that, but got injured in the process, since I had to drag a sled full of heavy gear back and forth over muddy ground, then load the gear into my truck multiple times almost every day for two weeks. I guess the exertion caused my hernia to act up and this stopped me cold. I'm waiting for ultrasound results today.

I was able to do an hour Zwift group ride on the trainer last night and will try to swim today, but no gym sessions, running, etc. If no surgery is required, I'll give this injury time to heal so it doesn't drag on. Until then, it will be yoga and a swim focus for me.

I'm so sorry to hear that @Djproulx! I'd noticed your absence here, but hoped it was just due to fun hunting plus general busyness around the holidays. I hope you get the best possible news from your ultrasound results, whatever that may be for you. It's obvious how much you enjoy your workouts and challenges, so I know this must be a hit. Best wishes for speedy improvement through whatever route is best!

Thanks, @Ann,
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Just checking back in after a few weeks of doing no real exercise. During the holiday week, I had decided to give myself a few more weeks off, so I could get out duck and goose hunting with my dog.

I did that, but got injured in the process, since I had to drag a sled full of heavy gear back and forth over muddy ground, then load the gear into my truck multiple times almost every day for two weeks. I guess the exertion caused my hernia to act up and this stopped me cold. I'm waiting for ultrasound results today.

I was able to do an hour Zwift group ride on the trainer last night and will try to swim today, but no gym sessions, running, etc. If no surgery is required, I'll give this injury time to heal so it doesn't drag on. Until then, it will be yoga and a swim focus for me.

I'm so sorry to hear that @Djproulx! I'd noticed your absence here, but hoped it was just due to fun hunting plus general busyness around the holidays. I hope you get the best possible news from your ultrasound results, whatever that may be for you. It's obvious how much you enjoy your workouts and challenges, so I know this must be a hit. Best wishes for speedy improvement through whatever route is best!

Thanks, @AnnPT77, I appreciate the note.

I'm scheduled for a CT scan this week, since the ultrasound results were inconclusive. I was able to hit the lap pool last week without pain and did an easy hour on Zwift, so I'm not completely sidelined. With that said, I'd like to get this figured out before a trip to Florida in March. Will see.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of quick updates -- Sunday was a long, slow cardio day. Working back up to 90 minutes on Sunday. Did around 75 yesterday.

Today was lifting (supersets) in the AM, then a hard interval row. At least that was the original plan. It was like high 20s/low 30s today outside in Tucson. I did one set of 2K on the rower then did the rest inside. Did another 9 minute interval on the treadmill, then one on the LateralX, then one on the Assault Bike. Kept the HR mostly at 80% to 85% until the last interval, when I pushed it over 90% max.

Was one of those days where I wasn't feeling like pushing too hard. This was a moderately hard effort but not all out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    Same old stationary bike workout, I guess until physical therapist says I can row again. 60' (92W) + 3' (85W), that last not really a CD because the whole time only had about 9' low Z3 in it (topped out at around 73% HRmax) - almost entirely Z2.

Did the 3 sets of the same round of high rep, low weight exercises my shoulder will tolerate right now (at slightly increased weight), plus band hamstring curls, and my physical therapy exercises.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Same old stationary bike workout, I guess until physical therapist says I can row again. 60' (92W) + 3' (85W), that last not really a CD because the whole time only had about 9' low Z3 in it (topped out at around 73% HRmax) - almost entirely Z2.

Did the 3 sets of the same round of high rep, low weight exercises my shoulder will tolerate right now (at slightly increased weight), plus band hamstring curls, and my physical therapy exercises.

I hope they get it worked out for you soon, Ann! I guess, on the bright side, it's Winter and you can't be out on the water anyway right now! Same for you, @Djproulx! At least you both are able to do something.

Inspirational that you two adapt and move on. I had to do that with running to rowing. I've had to adapt this year to less rowing due to my trigger finger, so I can certainly relate. No quit in me. But it helps, as you both know, to do the things you love.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    @BigMech, I remember the days when I used to commit to 2-hr workouts. These days one hour is about all I can do before I'm beat. Your commitment is commendable, and helps explain why you've lost over 100#.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Work trip last weekend. Actually did 2 hotel workouts in the 3-day trip. Very proud of myself, I’ve struggled w this.

Today: Pt session
    1) assisted pull-ups
    2) hammer strength lat pulldown + DB incline row
    3) hammer row
    4) sled pull+plank-kettle bell row + sled pull
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    More bike, 60' at 109W average, then 3' actual CD this time at 72W. Overall, overwhelmingly Z3 with a tiny bit of Z4. Have to admit, I had to pay attention to hold pace in the last 15' after setting it early on in my usual "do what feels OK while distracted by games/videos" mode.

Another physical therapy session today. She (PT) had me arm bike to warm up, forwards for a few minutes then backwards, focusing on muscles between/below shoulder blades. It surprised me how natural effort was stronger backwards than forwards until the PT reminded me that I was exploiting rowing muscles more on the backwards version. :D

I still have to do my routine assigned PT exercises before bed.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I went climbing on Monday. It was terrible; I lacked power. The hardest thing I got ,ay have only been 6a, although a couple of 6bs may have snuck in on slab.

I did a walk yesterday, which is standard and I normally don't log. But I got bored and cold, so it included a 3k run, mainly up a hill.
  • BigMech
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    @BigMech, I remember the days when I used to commit to 2-hr workouts. These days one hour is about all I can do before I'm beat. Your commitment is commendable, and helps explain why you've lost over 100#.

The cardio really helps me build up the endurance to hit a workout for that long. It's a big time commitment, but it's what worked for me the last time, and it's working again this time.

The cardio helps me burn calories to lose the fat, and the lifting helps me keep my muscle mass, and hopefully build a little more. I should be in good enough shape to get back to running and biking outdoors this summer.

Now that I have a home gym, I don't have to worry about a pandemic keeping me from working out.

• BigMech
    Options
    Great workout this morning. Lower body, Core and Cardio.

I was able to turn up the spin bike a little more this, and push hard on the cardio.

Stretched

32 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 142/165
    26 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 143/156

58 minutes lifting weight:
    Leg Press: 12@210, 10@300, 10@390, 8@480, 7@560, 7@560, 6@560, drop set: 6@560, 6@480, 8@390, 8@300, 10@210
    Crunches: 4*30
    Kettlebell Pass-Around: 4*20@40lbs.
    Barbell Romanian Deadlifts: 12@95, 10@145, 8@175, 6@205, 6@225, drop set: 4@245, 6@195,d 6@145, 8@95

Stretched

I am really liking the PowerTec Leg Press machine I got. I am able to hit my legs hard while I'm working on getting my flexibility and balance back for heavier free weight squats.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    One hour elliptical hills.

I've ordered those therapy bands for my elbow, am thinking about getting an elbow sleeve as well. Not for use during workouts, nor even during the day...I'm almost completely pain free during the day now, though that's in large part due to being conscientious about avoiding using my right arm. But at night I'm still waking to a sore arm, and almost every morning, on account of my arm getting twisted in non-ideal ways while I sleep. Maybe a sleeve would keep that from happening overnight.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my husband (an his efficient use of glue!), I was able to use my elliptical today. Woo hoo! I'm dubious that the fix will hold for the long term, but at least I'm able to use it while I shop for a new machine.

Anyway, an easy 40 minutes today, just to reinforce the habit and get some blood pumping. Feels good. :smiley:
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Easy hour of cardio today on the treadmill, elliptical and Assault Bike. Nothing strenuous.