WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday!
    I ended January with a little better sleep hours 6.5hrs, better on water intake 84%, more active minutes(blew this one out of the market), steps still low (averaged 6545/day), still down weight wise from beginning of January.

For February, I will continue those goals with only adjustments to active minutes. Lots of doctor appointments to get through. I am actually excited for this year. Only one more full month of winter‐yay!

Stay safe and warm or cool!
    Congratulations on goals met or improved!
    Remember small changes have big effects!

TTYL,
    Kylia in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Only if you're interested in doing something like this as we go along ...

Feel Good Feb
    zdlnh64mq3da.png
    https://www.actbelongcommit.org.au/programs-initiatives/feelgood-feb/

Or perhaps you've got something else in mind. :)

Another idea is one that I've tried before ...

Exercising the Alphabet in February

In other words, on February 1, you'd walk to a street that starts with A or do an exercise video hosted by someone whose name starts with A or something ... A.

On February 2, you'd go swimming at a Beach or play a game of Baseball or something ... B.

On February 3, you'd go Cycling or Climb some stairs or something ... C.

and so on.

There are, of course, 26 letters in the alphabet and 28 days in February, so you'd have 2 free days if you didn't exercise those days or couldn't fit in the next letter of the alphabet.

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    Options
    Venison vegetable soup in crockpot. Sounded good for a cold day!
  • kymarai
    Options
    Machka will look at on my computer. Too small on phone 😉
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Ultraprocessed Food and relationship to certain cancers:

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Here's a topic for discussion at the weight loss table this morning - "obesity is genetic":

I'm not sure who this gal is. It caused a kerfuffle yesterday among some docs I follow who did not agree with the genetic theory and pointed to ultra-processed foods for part of the problem.

I did a little research. It appears there's a gene, or combination of genes, that might predispose some folks to obesity. If you feel like slogging through an article: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41576-021-00414-z

It doesn't explain all obesity, especially when 50 years ago obesity wasn't as common and most folks were slimmer back then. I'm betting we ate better quality food, not so much of it (family style meals where the kids fought over the last chicken wing), and had more exercise.

And, consider that for eons, nature has engineered post-menopausal gals to weight gain some around the middle which didn't necessarily adversely affect their health or lifespan. Anecdotally, I'm thinking of my grandmothers who were pleasingly plump and healthy into their mid-90's without ever worrying about going on a diet or their BMI's. :p

The Smart BMI Calculator appears to support that - https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

This topic is complicated and can be controversial.

Thoughts?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Adding an edit - I didn't watch this whole 60 minutes segment, so there's a chance this gal was taken out of context. Just sayin'. ;)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    Options
    Ultraprocessed Food and relationship to certain cancers:

Karen - my laptop won't let me open this. Do you have another source?

Lanette B)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Only if you're interested in doing something like this as we go along ...

Feel Good Feb
    zdlnh64mq3da.png
    https://www.actbelongcommit.org.au/programs-initiatives/feelgood-feb/

Or perhaps you've got something else in mind. :)

Another idea is one that I've tried before ...

Exercising the Alphabet in February

In other words, on February 1, you'd walk to a street that starts with A or do an exercise video hosted by someone whose name starts with A or something ... A.

On February 2, you'd go swimming at a Beach or play a game of Baseball or something ... B.

On February 3, you'd go Cycling or Climb some stairs or something ... C.

and so on.

There are, of course, 26 letters in the alphabet and 28 days in February, so you'd have 2 free days if you didn't exercise those days or couldn't fit in the next letter of the alphabet.

Machka in Oz

I have listed several January highlights so that meets the calendar suggestion for February 1...

And I walked to the Asian "dollar store" next to the Asian grocers and bought Art supplies at lunch today. That'll be my A. :)

M in Oz
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Sue!!!

Thanks for the new thread Barbie!

I like the calendar, Machka, Thanks!

Happy February all!

Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I’m looking forward to my morning coffee and breakfast. It is still cold outside and warm inside. I am looking forward to shopping with my daughter one day this week. I have a list and I’m ready when she is available to get started.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link to February, Barbie!
    Happy birthday, Sue!
    Machka- I love the alphabet calendar! I will work on that this month.
    Feb 1 - A = Arm work (50 bicep curls w/10# weight, 50 tricep w/ 10# weight, 50 side arm raises w/ 10# weight)
    vicki- Congrats on the upcoming new grandbaby! Wow! so many grandkids! How lucky you are!
    Heather- Lots of grand time for you lately! I love that they all seem to have an artistic leaning!
    Karen VA Lillybelle and Rory! Awww! They get big so fast!
    Rebecca- I love a Rueben!
    Lanette- Interesting about the obesity link. I DO believe there are certain genetic factors that make obesity more likely. Just as we have those ultra thin people who can eat whatever they want and still stay very thin (due to genetics); if you can understand that, it would only stand to reason that there are people who are genetically predisposed to gain and hold onto fat. That said, I think a vast majority of us fall in between.

Well, I have four kiddos here already and I am typing as fast as I can while they eat their breakfast. Pancakes and pineapple for them. Some rice and coffee for me. (I don't want to wake DH with my blender; so no smoothie this am). Only 6 kids today! It's like a vacation!

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

We have a perfect trace of snow! Just enough to be beautiful on the field but not affect the roads much. I'm waiting to go out, just in case.

Lanette, I think there are reasons why obesity runs in families. We learn cooking styles and comfort foods from our families. We learn attitudes towards exercise and body types from our families. There might be a genetic component too, but that part is harder to change.

My mother thinks exercise is silly and pointless. She sits on the couch all day. And she thinks it's okay for me to be fifty pounds overweight. She prefers beef and carbs and fried, processed food. And she thinks it's polite to push food at me, and then guilt trip me into finishing leftovers. That's not genetic but it is a family issue.

Maybe the genetics are expressed as a weak "stomach is full" signal. I'm working on that. We used to always overeat on Sundays and holidays, and consider being stuffed a good feeling.

So I have a lot to work on there. Hmmm.

But the daily exercise and counting CI seems to work for me.

Happy snow day! Stay home if you can!

Annie in Delaware

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    Options
    :heart: