• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,599 Member
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,794 Member
    Lanette - All I've got on the subject is personal and anecdotal. My parents, by the time they got to their late 40s, were both obese. My body type is a direct copy of my mothers - large thighs, large posterior, small waist, large bust. By the time I was in my 40s, I weighed 303 pounds at 5'2" tall (actually, 5'1" tall, because my weight was compressing my spine). Both my parents, when they divorced, lost their excess weight, by the way.

This is my gastric bypass before and after picture, from 303 to about 140 pounds:
    mduq0y3ut014.png

The only two people who actually share my full complement of genes, my two-years-older brother and my two-years-younger sister, have never struggled with their weight, ever. The rest of my brothers and sisters are half-siblings, and one half-brother four years older than me did struggle with his weight. Another half-brother gained weight after he turned 60 and was diagnosed with COPD--to my knowledge, none of the other siblings did. (There are ten of us all-told, including the half siblings.)

I think, like most things, that genes may provide part of the answer. I think they provide fertile ground, so to speak, for us to be more likely to gain weight than someone without those genes. I do not think our genes are the ONLY reason we struggle with our weight.

Going back to reading the news now... I love questions like these, by the way.

Love,
    Lisa in AR

I agree with genetics are part of the problem. In my family all the women lived to be over 90 AND were overweight most of their lives, but all the males, including my brothers and son are skinny! My 2 daughters take after me. One watches her weight constantly, exercises and is careful what she eats and has to fight to stay slim (she is not skinny), my other daughter doesn’t watch anything and is overweight. I am in between but fight to get there. I have to exercise and really watch what I eat to get back to a healthy weight. It is way too easy for me to gain and takes forever to lose.

RVRita in overcast and cold NM
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,794 Member
    Feel Good February

1. Create a list of 5 things you have accomplished this year: Lost 2.5 pounds, began walking to at least 7,000 steps a day, adding yoga 3 times a week, adding arm weights twice a week, logged every day so far this year.

I like this and will try to follow through. I like these lists! Thanks Machka!

RVRita
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,294 Member
    Karen ~ Lilly Belle looks like a wonderful big sister to baby Rory!

Sue ~ Have an excellent birthday celebration.

Barbie ~ Thanks for a new start!

Carol in GA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,429 Member
    💖
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,318 Member

Karen - many thanks! Wow, very comprehensive! Ovarian cancer stands out for sure.

Now add ultra processed foods and cognitive decline into the mix. This was also a hot topic yesterday. :)

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2799140

Lanette B)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,745 Member
    edited February 2023

Karen - many thanks! Wow, very comprehensive! Ovarian cancer stands out for sure.

Now add ultra processed foods and cognitive decline into the mix. This was also a hot topic yesterday. :)

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2799140

Lanette B)

Thank you, Karen and Lanette ... both of these articles confirm common sense. (Did we really think that replacing natural foods with artificial ones would be good for us??) So now I have to ask: can we reverse the damage created by years of eating UPF? While I do better now that I know better, there were years of unhealthy, ultra-processed foods.

Beth
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Heather- you are a wonderful grandma...and those kids have Johnny completely wrapped ❤️
    Poor Miles was not feeling well today. Think his poor tummy hurt,he was very clingy. Mom took him for a walk in his little car and he is getting into mischief so must be feeling a bit better but I told her think she might need to give him a suppository tonight as he hasn't gone in awhile.
    Im hoping my social security deposit comes tomorrow i don't like having things low and automatic payments set up..makes me nervous.