What are your Top 5 foods or items that make your life easier?

Options

Replies

• JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    1. My friend who expects me to get out of bed in the morning and go walk with her.
    2. My dog who is really happy to go too.
    3. Digital food scale for that reality check.
    4. Traeger smoker grill - the most tender delicious chicken ever, with no oil!
    5. Goat cheese - I am completely addicted to the soft crumbly kind. It’s an indulgence I look forward to and it’s a calorie win when I substitute it for other fats (butter, cream cheese, etc).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    Coffee, so true! Full pot. Sometimes need more. Sometimes there's left overs. Log 60oz and almost 18 Cal per day :wink: Troublemaking if past noon though :disappointed:

Plain greek yogurt and skyr: versatile

all veggies during loss and maintenance, rediscovered potatoes as a filling veggie/starch near the end of weight loss: food preparation methods do matter :wink:

sucralose: substituting sugar for sucralose didn't get me ahead before starting to lose weight. in-taking copious amounts of sucralose hasn't stopped weight loss or maintenance. or inhibited any regains during either. And it can be heated up successfully. Again "food preparation methods do matter". Some sucralose packaging provides an appreciable number of calories. Liquid doesn't.

spices and spray oils. the first I like, enjoy, and are calories I happily log including garlic in vegetable quantities :lol: the second is a necessity for me to control the quantity but resent the fact that I am using the low quality oils that come in the cans. yes, yes, I should get a "mister". Scale measurements show that for standard home measurements and quantities in the sub 10g range... what leaves the can in weight is what one logs in terms of oil used...
  • kick101
    kick101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1- MFP
    2- Skinny Food Company- barista shots for my coffee, high protein low carb bread amazing
    3- digital food scale
    4- almond milk no sugars
    5- Coffee 🥰
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    <snip>
    spices and spray oils. the first I like, enjoy, and are calories I happily log including garlic in vegetable quantities :lol: the second is a necessity for me to control the quantity but resent the fact that I am using the low quality oils that come in the cans. yes, yes, I should get a "mister". Scale measurements show that for standard home measurements and quantities in the sub 10g range... what leaves the can in weight is what one logs in terms of oil used...

I have become ridiculously good at pouring eleven grams of olive oil, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, or hazelnut oil directly from the bottle. I still weigh before and after the pour. It's become a bit of a challenge. If I go over... Oh well. Just means more calories because I'm gonna eat it.

On the other hand, when I do oven "fried" potatoes or roasted vegetables, I toss those spuds in a bit of oil (I bet you can guess how much) and spices before putting them on parchment paper lined sheets. When they are done, there's a fair bit of oil left on the tray that I don't eat. I still log it as if I ate it; kind of a bonus calorie bank that I don't actually check the balance of.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Coffee, so true! Full pot. Sometimes need more. Sometimes there's left overs. Log 60oz and almost 18 Cal per day :wink: Troublemaking if past noon though :disappointed:
    I asked Nescafé about the energy content of Nescafé Gold Medium Roast, but they did not reply. That is disappointing because they don't have precise numbers on their Canadian website. However, they did give me a maximum caffeine content of 1600 mg for a 100 g jar. Since I use, on average, 1 jar a week, that means 230 mg a day. In other words: just about negligible except for hypersensitive people. Also, the European Union is using better legislation and better standards. Nestlé is selling "Nescafé Gold Blend" over there, which seems to be the same product, just a slightly different name and that has an energy content of 123 kcal per 100 g jar, so in my case, that means 18 kcal per day, the exact same energy content you are using. On a yearly basis, that makes for about 6600 kcal or a standardised 860 g of human fat. In other words, undetectable. As dietitians usually formulate it: it is a calorie-free drink.

Also: I used to add milk but no longer: I just add more water. That works fine for me. I won't win any culinary awards but then, that is not my goal. I just want something that takes away the awful taste of tap water.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I have become ridiculously good at pouring eleven grams of olive oil, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, or hazelnut oil directly from the bottle. I still weigh before and after the pour. It's become a bit of a challenge. If I go over... Oh well. Just means more calories because I'm gonna eat it.

It is amazing how accurate we can become with some of these things.

I usually use way less than 10g when it comes to oil spray even when cooking a large batch of something with multiple frying pan loads. Which is why I was happy enough to end the experiment at the 10g mark after determining that both the 'lose weight out of the can' and 'add weight to the pan' were changing equally, within the (substantial at about 0.5+g) scale (that I was using) margin of error

re: the nescafe: watch it Bart! the decaf and some of the place name ones are less than 100g!!! :smiley: The espresso formula is slightly different between Canada and Germany as I've been reliably informed. The general gold one looks the same. In any case, as you said, it is marginal.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    re: the nescafe: watch it Bart! the decaf and some of the place name ones are less than 100g!!! :smiley: The espresso formula is slightly different between Canada and Germany as I've been reliably informed. The general gold one looks the same. In any case, as you said, it is marginal.
    Right you are. We have a few here at our local Loblaws that are 95 g (including Colombia) instead of 100 g. There is also Gold Espresso in jars of 200 g, but that is obviously a very special product indeed with completely different ingredients, as you can see in the spoiler: A nice reminder that even multinationals pay little or no attention to the quality of the information they provide their marks.

In all, as you said, a marginal difference, especially since the grand totals are already marginal and essentially within the margin of error, meaning they are undetectable outside of a room calorimeter (and most likely inside one as well ^_^), and given that there are only a few of those on the entire planet...
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    1. SmartWater!! I’m prone to dehydration (hospitalized for a it a few years ago… a trait passed down from my dad). I drink about four 24oz bottles by noon.

2. My dog-dog!! Definitely a great motivator to get up and go!

3. Salad! I change up the toppings occasionally to keep it interesting but a good, old fashioned salad really makes my heart happy.

4. My food/exercise logging notebook. Extremely helpful.

5. Diet Pepsi. My weakness. A treat I enjoy 3-4 times a week.
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    1.MFP - calorie counting.
    2.Digital scale to weigh food for accurate tracking.
    3.Twice daily walking routine & activity tracker with targets
    4.Daily weigh in and charting first thing in morning.
    5.Dieting in concert with partner who is on a similar journey
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    5.Dieting in concert with partner who is on a similar journey

This #5 is a good one. Challenging too.

• Arielcupcakes
    Arielcupcakes Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Love this thread - such a great prompt & I love reading people’s answers! For me, my top five are (in no particular order):

1. Nutribullet This makes quick & easy work (& cleanup) of green smoothies, açaí bowls, bulletproof coffee (though I prefer my immersion blender for this, after the heat & pressure caused the hot coffee to leak out & down into the mechanical base 😖)

2. Amazon Prime membership As much as I love supporting my local grocery stores & small businesses, the reality is I currently don’t have a lot of money to buy the healthy foods I’d like. Cost & convenience usual inform my food choices, even though I know better & prefer healthier options. I can order larger sizes of quality ingredients, at much lower prices than the grocery store, & they arrive at my house usually the next day!

3. Spinach I add spinach to EVERYTHING. It has a neutral enough flavor to sneak into green juice/smoothies without altering the flavor, and it’s an easy & affordable option to add to almost any meal. I’m always looking to add more greens to my diet without just sticking to salads, so I love sautéed spinach with eggs & other savory breakfast options, as well as adding it to grain bowls, pasta sauces, or even just on its own as a side - almost always with a little sautéed garlic as well.

4. Bananas I have been promising myself I’ll eliminate (or at least minimize) processed sweets, & freezing bananas to make “nice cream” is a wonderful alternative to traditional ice cream. You can add in cacao nibs and/or powder, vanilla bean powder/paste, peanut or almond (or your choice of nut) butter, or try strawberries, matcha powder… you’re really limited only by your imagination. As someone who has listed ice cream as her favorite food for 35 years, I can honestly say that this is a replacement that hits the spot & isn’t just a sad imitation of the real thing.

5. Monk Fruit Extract I struggled to choose my 5th item, but decided on this because (as I mentioned in #4, I’m trying to limit my sugar intake) I have really struggled to find an alternative sweetener that a) tastes good/doesn’t leave a weird aftertaste or mouthfeel, b) doesn’t have a huge impact on your blood sugar, and c) doesn’t cause digestive issues. I’ve been a Splenda person for 15-20 years, but when I decided to move towards a higher-protein/lower-carb diet (for weight loss & digestive issues) & I started doing Bulletproof coffee again, I went back to monk fruit extract (which is what I have used historically in bulletproof/keto coffee.) I know a lot of people that swear by Swerve, and I don’t HATE it. But I personally dislike the aftertaste of erythritol & stevia products, and have a hard time dealing with the bloating & discomfort that comes along with sugar alcohols, so…. Monk fruit it is!

This post was a little (okay, a lot) wordier than I intended, but hopefully it’s useful for anyone else just starting a journey to mindful eating, or re-starting after a period of a less than healthy diet.

• chris_in_cal
    Options
    2. Amazon Prime membership As much as I love supporting my local grocery stores & small businesses, the reality is I currently don’t have a lot of money to buy the healthy foods I’d like. Cost & convenience usual inform my food choices, even though I know better & prefer healthier options. I can order larger sizes of quality ingredients, at much lower prices than the grocery store, & they arrive at my house usually the next day!

This one came out of left field, but I really like your list. Thanks.

• chris_in_cal
    Options
    For 2024:
    1. Kitchen counter food scale
    2. frozen veggies
    3. Club soda
    4. My running watch streams spotify podcast....Fire!
    5. Downloaded my supermarket's app and I can list up everything that's on sale..saves me over 40%

I love this thread, there are a million great ideas here.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    somehow, when i do these things or use these things.. i lose weight.
    Log onto MFP daily to read posts ( I never track calories)
    small cooler for my car
    great lunch bag
    lots of meal prep plastic containers.
    keeping fridge stocked with my whole foods and goodies.
    light weights and exercise gadgets in my house
  • BikingChronicle
    BikingChronicle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1. Bicycle
    2. Food Scale
    3. Chili with 96/4 beef, or 99/1 turkey
    4. Using the french, or spanish option for languages on my fitness pal
    5. Tea noir et vert (black tea, and green, francais)
  • icrus8
    icrus8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Digital scales
    MFP
    Fish
    Chicken
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    #1) Air Fryer - Can't believe this hasn't appeared on everyone's list. So fast, easy and healthy.

#2) Spinach - A mainstay of my forever-way-of-eating. I like zapping in the MW for :30 first.

#3) Steamed Broccoli - Great ready made snack to have pre-made. Prefer steaming in MW from fresh.

#4) Edamame - Another great low calorie, low carb, high protein snack. I get 'em roasted in bulk.

#5) Good, sharp knifes - and a good sharpener to keep them that way. Life is too short to put up with a dull blade.

There are so many other things that have aided my journey to a healthier me. Foods and gadgets that I consider necessities and that have already been listed by others. These though are my Top 5.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    1. Flavored carbonated water - trying to break a soda habit (again)
    2. Frozen vegetables - they cook up so fast and easy. Steamed, stir fried, or roasted.
    3. YouTube - for workout videos. Just a huge selection.
    4. Potatoes - very filling for me and good nutrition. Goes with everything.
    5. Lake front trail - when it is warmer this is a great option for a beautiful walk. Luckily I only live a couple blocks from it (yay city living)
  • meganlea33
    meganlea33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1. Salads
    2. Smart Phone
    3. Amazon Prime
    4. Brita water bottle
    5. Green Tea