WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Ok no fish truck tonight. I had toast with tomato, cheese and cucumber. Tomorrow husband wishes to go to an Asian restaurant, so I had to choose, but not both. I chose the Asian food. I will hope they return in our area this month. The downside of your favorite fish restaurant being a food truck that travels all over Washington.🙃
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    🌻🌻😻👩‍💻😍🌞🙂🐾👣💤
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Rebecca Yes my husband drives, but I like going to town by myself. Much more economical (he is a spender) and I like the quiet! He does not drink and drive, which I am very thankful for.

Word of the year: APPRECIATE; today I appreciate the crisp cool air of my morning walk.

#2 Practice fairness today by putting yourself in someone else’s shoes: I did this with a camper who I received complaints about. I put myself in his shoes when speaking with him. He was a very lonely man who only had his dogs (one barking, one loose) and the people he meets at campgrounds. Made me more compassionate when talking to him about the dogs.\

RVRita

When I learned to drive at 50, it was to help get Lee to the doctors etc. Now after transplant, he is more comfortable driving, than dealing with the stress of my driving. Sadly, learning that late in life, I don't have the instincts as a driver, more as a passenger. So each time getting behind the wheel, things a normal driver would do instinctively, I have to consciously think about. So that fact alone, I let him drive, for however long that may be. When he can't drive due to eyesight, or illness, I guess I would arrange other transport. 🙃👍🏻
    I am glad you get out and about by yourself. Time apart from a spouse is helpful in marriage health I think.
    Enjoy your sun!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

My driving history can be described as on and off.

I learned to drive at 15, and drove quite a bit until about 23 or 24-ish. We had moved to Winnipeg, my husband at the time used the car for work, and I found work I could walk to at first, then work I could cycle to.

When he and I separated, he took the car and I was glad to be rid of motorised vehicles. For the next 5.5 years, I was car-free! :)

Then I started university and borrowed a car from my parents for a couple years, then bought one. In those 4 years, I did a lot of driving ... long drives. In the last 2 years of university, many weeks, I drove 1000 km a week.

I moved to Australia, we bought a van, and I drove quite a bit in the first year ... on the other side of the vehicle and road. :)

And then we moved into a town, and I stopped driving. So from 2010 to 2018, I could probably count on one hand the number of times I drove.

When my husband had his accident, I realised I would need to drive again. It was actually a few months after my husband came home from the hospital, that I sat in the driver's seat and began driving again.

However, I usually only drive on weekends and holidays and as little as possible then. I prefer to get around by bus, walking, cycling etc. On our weekend away last weekend, I drove up and back, but while we were there, the van was parked and we got some groceries, went out to dinner, etc. on foot.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Elliptical - 28 minutes.

Vicki - I take potassium daily as well. Bananas here range from pea green and hard as a rock to nearly brown, which makes me gag; it is really hard to find ones that are edible. Unfortunately, if you do buy the green ones, they seem to go from green to rotten without getting edible in between. However, I'm concentrating right now on adding fiber into my diet too, and luckily, some of the fiber sources also supply potassium, like sweet potatoes, white beans, and regular potatoes. I love any kind of potatoes, so that's helpful, and made a cassoulet the other night with white beans.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

In the cycling world, potassium is one of the things we also need ... we need all the electrolytes, but potassium is important.

To get potassium, we eat bananas, of course, but another useful food which can be carried on long rides is dried apricots.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Potassium-HealthProfessional/ - this one has a list including milligrams (mg) per serving

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325728#dried-apricots

I also use "half salt" or "lite salt" on my food which is a combination of sodium and potassium.

Machka in Oz

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    💕
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Kylia-the birthday bears were awesome! Happy day!

Barbie-can't go into details but the "Repeated complaining" was just what I needed to see this am!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,116 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: 😂🤣😂🤣😂 You gave me such a laugh this morning with your 2 personas.

Intentions for tomorrow:
    ♦️Local shops am
    ♦️outing with DYD after lunch to replace ancient iPad.
    ♦️Set up new iPad
    ♦️general chores
    ♦️solid habits

Taking care of yourself
    does not mean ‘Me first’
    It means
    ME TOO!!!

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them, especially those in unsatisfying relationships. It can be so wearing.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Only if you're interested in doing something like this as we go along ...

Feel Good Feb and/or Exercising the Alphabet in February
    Feel Good Feb
    zdlnh64mq3da.png
    https://www.actbelongcommit.org.au/programs-initiatives/feelgood-feb/

Exercising the Alphabet in February

In other words, on February 1, you'd walk to a street that starts with A or do an exercise video hosted by someone whose name starts with A or something ... A.

On February 2, you'd go swimming at a Beach or play a game of Baseball or something ... B.

On February 3, you'd go Cycling or Climb some stairs or something ... C.

and so on.

There are, of course, 26 letters in the alphabet and 28 days in February, so you'd have 2 free days if you didn't exercise those days or couldn't fit in the next letter of the alphabet.

I have listed several January highlights so that meets the calendar suggestion for February 1...

And I walked to the Asian "dollar store" next to the Asian grocers and bought Art supplies at lunch today. That'll be my A. :)

Put myself in someone else's shoes ... I've been treating my difficult work colleague with kindness by talking to her about her son, complimenting her skirt, talking quietly and gently to her and so on.

And today, I walked to Bathurst Street to Buy some Books. I also climbed stairs in my Building. :)

Watch a movie that reminds me of kindness ... probably not tonight!

C is for Climbing and walking on Collins St!

Saturday --

Cleaned the kitchen, cleaned the bathroom, caught up on some paperwork, read and coloured. :)

D is for exercising Downstairs!
    Rowing - 16 minutes
    Walking - 38 minutes
    Weights - 10 minutes

Take a picture of three things that make you happy --

aocs3725u6ly.png
    42vpz698ig8s.png
    qaqbrf33a1dz.png

Machka in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I am awake too early thanks to a clattering sound outside of my door. 🙉. I think a bit more rest would be good.😴
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I feel a tad better and am dressed ,im not going to urgent care right now...
    Im going to lay low today though..
    I don't have the scratchy throat that i did,and im drinking alot of water ..