For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,327 Member
    Options
    I am almost done with all the produce my friend brought last week. I think all I have is two beets, one bunch of collard greens, and some really good carrots.

Today I roasted the two rutabaga and served with brown jasmine rice. The rice is beige-ish, and the rutabaga would be if it didn't have a nice char.

hyffafoody60.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I have some rutabaga left in the fridge: Maybe I should roast it? It was pretty great in my red lentil soup the other night, too, though.

Speaking of weird brownish foods, I did an off the wall experiment last night that included produce: Kodiak pancakes with smashed roasted Georgia Candy Roaster Winter squash (some I froze a couple months back), plain Greek yogurt, pomegranate molasses, plus I added a light sprinkle of Maldon salt after the photo.
    jpqpqty14eqb.jpg

Yeah, weird. Tasted pretty good, though.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 931 Member
    Options
    Thought of you all today. Went to the store and the most vibrant hued asparagus was hoping to come home with me.

Currently baking on cast iron in the oven.

Wish I would see purple asparagus more often… do you have regularly in your neck of the woods?

Got these green guys. :)

m6duwpbdjhdx.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,327 Member
    Options
    I needed to eat more than my budget today to make up for a deficit yesterday that was too big. I made a 798 calorie plate of delicious food based on a very large bunch of organic rainbow chard that I had planned to cook tonight.

I cut up the leaves coarsely and chopped the stems. I sauteed an onion for a while until it was getting soft. I added the chard stems and cooked a few minutes more. I added seven very coarsely chopped cloves of garlic, and I put the chard leaves on top and closed the lid to steam, stirring from time to time. When they were getting pretty well cooked, I added some balsamic vinegar, some nutritional yeast, and some sesame seeds.

When the chard was ~almost~ done, I added some mixed seafood (shrimp, scallops, and squid) I had marinated in a mix of soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and sambal oelek. I let that cook just until the seafood was done. I served it next to one serving of brown basmati rice. It was a HUGE plate. I ate it all.

1uzoa7ntuhoc.jpg

I still have about 450 calories to work with tonight before I even break even, much less eat back some of yesterday's deficit. I'm going to wait because I'm full. I sort of want to make a batch of popcorn, but just munching on some Manchego Anejo cheese would fill the calories quickly and make me smile. I like good cheese for dessert.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    Seemed like pea freezin' season yesterday, and split pea soup has been a major comfort food for me since childhood.

I like variety, so cooking a big batch and freezing the extra works for me. (This is only a medium batch. I had a nice big bowl from the pot before dishing these up, too.)

Usually I keep the frozen version very basic, for more flexibility when thawing/using. This is just split peas cooked to near mush (the way I like 'em) with a little salt. Sometimes I add cooked-down onions, too. This time I didn't.

I admit, with peas, it probably would've been a good idea to add onions, but I was short on supply. With something like black beans that might be used in sweets or other things where onions aren't ideal, 'no onions' increases flexibility.

bepzfzh398hi.jpg

• AnnPT77
    Options
    That pizza looks delicious, @neanderthin!

I guess this also is a produce meal, though not fancy: It's an an egg-cheese-roasted cauliflower-onion-dill mustard Ezekiel pita sandwich, with sides of tomatoes, apple, and a few leftover marinated mushrooms.

2ql1imm6cjl1.jpg
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    NDR Ratgeber is giving something to think about: what is better: fresh or frozen? In the taste test, the testers prefer fresh, but the funny thing is that one of the reasons they prefer it is actually the very reason I prefer frozen. That said, as far as I can tell, most people would agree with them, not with me. To me personally, there is no upside to fresh, even less so because of the sorry condition of most "fresh" vegetables I can buy at my local Loblaws in toronto.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMHCcYen0M
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    Well, someone's got to eat frozen. Cheers
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I prefer fresh produce, especially with respect to texture, but do eat a fair amount of frozen, especially in Winter. My frozen produce intake increased during the pandemic, too, as a way to shop less often, and I guess I've gotten in the habit a bit. I cook differently with the frozen veg: More mix-in use where texture matters less, vs. standalone with seasonings, probably.

Unlike mtaratoot, a hearty walker/biker, for me the nearest store is a bit farther than I want to walk routinely with a load of groceries, around an 8 to 10 mile round trip. I should probably get a better cargo set-up for my bike, for summer. Nowadays, I still tend to shop only once every 1-2 weeks at stores, but go to the farmers market (all local producers) most weeks. There is produce there all year 'round despite it being Michigan, but in Winter it's more root veg from storage, sometimes some few types of greens from greenhouses (or row cover in the shoulder seasons), various sprouts or baby greens, apples, mushrooms - not a huge selection.

In Spring to Fall, selection there is wider, and I get more of my food there. It's so fresh that it keeps much longer than the grocery store produce, too.

At the grocery store, too, I do buy some fresh, and some things keep well for the better part of a week or so, but far from all. I have a big chest freezer in the basement, and it's nice to have frozen veg to fall back on between shopping trips. (A lot of it is basics in giant bags from Costco.) I strive to hit at least 800g veggies and fruits most days . . . that's a lot of fresh veggies to keep on hand, from Winter sources. At some point, I'd rather eat frozen veg than tired "fresh".
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I guess this would be a produce-ish dinner, within the constraints of Winter here?

It was something new (experiment by a culinary philistine) but seemed pretty tasty to me.

Ezekiel tortilla, sweet onion sliced very thin, layer of cut-up dried tomatoes that had been rehydrated in warmed aged balsamic vinegar, some leftover broiled fresh asparagus, baked for long enough to heat; then added a thin layer of Cambozola and put it back in long enough to just melt, then added fresh ground black pepper.

I'd eat it again, if I ever happened to have those exact things on hand. Shown in its tidy just-out-of-oven form, and cut up revealing the tomato mixture.

dfzayr7h43ub.jpg

I'd be all over that in a heart beat. :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    That means a lot coming from you @neanderthin, because I know you're not a uneducated experimenting amateur like I am. Thanks!
  • Lizlosesthelbs94
    Options
    I adore a well-prepped veggie! The meals you posted look delcious 😍 do you mind dropping your recipe for the roasted kabocha?