Dropping pounds with inspiring pals *CLOSED GROUP*

Options

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I tuned in to this thread a couple days late this week to see the challenge of not weighing everyday...lol but I havent weighed today or yesterday!............I can hold out till sunday! I think..........oh dear!:tongue:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    quiet today. lol

Today I decided I might have to hermit myself to the house and order all my groceries and other needs online....the candy craziness has started. First it will be Halloween goodies...then Halloween goody clearance!...then right into Christmas goodies (sorry Thanksgiving, you just get one fat day)...then into New years goodies...and then Massive holiday clearance goodies!

halloween_candy_aisle_1.JPG
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    NeuroticVirgo ~

halloween_candy_aisle_1.JPG

That is a big wall of pure evil there! The way I was feeling today I'd have walked out with one of everything. You, my dear, showed remarkable restraint (and good taste) with the poprocks. ;)
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Well...so far so good. I have been exercising everyday this week and doing alright on my calories...(granted its only been 2 days..but whatever lol).

So, speaking of heart-rate monitors. Do those of you who use one subtract your resting calories burned from it before entering in the exercise?

I had a MFP friend post a blog about this a while back...I'll see if I can find it and post the link. But it made a lot of sense to me.

Here is how it works (I'll use myself as an example).

According to MFP and my activity level (which I have at sedentary) I burn 2,290 calories just being me. No gym etc.

So that means if I take 2290 (calories I burn in a day) / 1440 (minutes in a day) = I burn 1.5 calories a minute just living life with no extra exercise.

Now lets say I walk for 60 minutes and burn 300 calories. In that same 60 minutes I would have naturally burned 90 calories.

So MFP is already accounting for 90 calories on my food diary when it picks how much I should be eating for a deficit..

If I add the full 300 burned from exercise, I'm actually adding 390. Before adding exercise, you should be subtracting what you would have burned without it.

Therefore, walking 60 minutes is 300-90 = 210 EXTRA calories burned.

Yes...seems like a lot of math, but once you get it, its not really. But if you think about that. That means that if you eat back all your exercise calories everyday. Then your actually eating an extra 90 calories.

One little caveat that you forgot to account for...when you exercise your body burns calories more efficently after you stop for a while but MFP does not adjust for that extra burn after stopping the exercise so I think that the extra 90 calories is really all in the wash. Does that make sense?
  • theonlychuck
    theonlychuck Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    so i made an appointment with the obgyn(finally found one) my toms are all over the place! so hopefully ill get some good answers, answers period would be good! this week has been crazy!! busy busy having a girls night saturday, beyond excited. another very long week next week but im doing really good!!! im very very proud of myself lets do this!!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    AAaaaaaah, what a week! Where do I begin??? First off, it's been a great week up untill today exercise wise... didn't get much cardio in today.. just a walk with the dogs and 30DS. Which is good... my calorie burn was like 720 but it's been 1800. Been eating decent too... but not good enough I guess... even though on days the scale will say I've lost... on others I'm up. Keep going between 247-251. I guess I have had a couple bad nights... been a lot going on, and food used to be my go-to for comfort. Not so much anymore, although I do cave once in a while. Good thing is it almost makes me sick to my stomach when I eat a bunch of crap anymore... more reason to no too! So it's been 2 days since I've looked at the scale. I guess that's the thing this week? Not getting on the scale everyday? (Sorry, still trying to get back in the swing of things with the group after being gone a while).

Blah... I could go on and on and on. Just needed to vent.

Vent away :) That's what we're here for. Yes the goal is to not look at the scale this week. :) I totally understand what you mean about jumping back and forth between numbers...its very annoying! But you got this, pretty soon it will be jumping between 245 and 247, and then 240 and 243 and so on. Will still be annoying...but will be progress. :)
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    AAaaaaaah, what a week! Where do I begin??? First off, it's been a great week up untill today exercise wise... didn't get much cardio in today.. just a walk with the dogs and 30DS. Which is good... my calorie burn was like 720 but it's been 1800. Been eating decent too... but not good enough I guess... even though on days the scale will say I've lost... on others I'm up. Keep going between 247-251. I guess I have had a couple bad nights... been a lot going on, and food used to be my go-to for comfort. Not so much anymore, although I do cave once in a while. Good thing is it almost makes me sick to my stomach when I eat a bunch of crap anymore... more reason to no too! So it's been 2 days since I've looked at the scale. I guess that's the thing this week? Not getting on the scale everyday? (Sorry, still trying to get back in the swing of things with the group after being gone a while).

Blah... I could go on and on and on. Just needed to vent.

Vent away :) That's what we're here for. Yes the goal is to not look at the scale this week. :) I totally understand what you mean about jumping back and forth between numbers...its very annoying! But you got this, pretty soon it will be jumping between 245 and 247, and then 240 and 243 and so on. Will still be annoying...but will be progress. :)

LOL So true! And I can't wait till it's smaller numbers that I'm jumping between!
  • pattynava
    Options
    Well...same-o, same-o here...Walking, walking, and hmm...did I say walking? :huh: but all is well...I'm drinking lots of water, and thinking more & more everyday, that I can do this....(other days thinking I hate doing this, but NOT TODAY:smile: ) Hope everyone has a blessed weekend.....
  • theonlychuck
    theonlychuck Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    okay so i had to weigh in for my other challenge and im going to stick to this # for this week and change my weigh in day to Fridays! i kinda have liked this not weighing everyday kinda keeps me in the right state of mind ya know!! so anyways I'VE LOST ANOTHER 2LBS!!!!!! i am beyond excited i just had to share!! so i want to get down to 198 before feb. 12 this is my husband and i's ( i know great grammar right) dating anniversary (this is also my wedding weight) then i would love to loose another 20 lbs before july (summer) thats 1 lb a week, i can sooooooo do that!!!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Just checking in!!!! I'm 216.4 today, which is a 2.2 lb loss since last Friday. My goal was to be 215, but I can't be disappointed with my loss! I feel awesome!

Hope everyone has a wonderful, and HEALTHY weekend!!!!!!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    ***** ************************** Need your weigh-ins for this week ***********************************************

Hey everybody. Please post your weigh-in for this week between Friday & Monday (Monday before noon please).

So just follow this link, and you can enter this weeks weigh in: you enter +/- in week 2. Lost -2lbs, gained 1lb etc...though of course we're all looking for losses :) You don't need to adjust your current weight or total lost, the spreadsheet will do it automatically.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnInOlpiuL1mdC1lU1U5aWloS256ei16c3lPX2Q1UWc&hl=en_US

PS - it auto saves, just so you know. :)
    ***********************************************************************************************************************
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    So I ended the pity part yesterday I had to had to get out of bed and shower cause I had to go babysit two precious little girls for my Pastor. And today to really say this pity party is over I was at the Gym working out with my trainer. She basically had me do all the same exercises from the previous session because it had been almost a month since I had been to the gym. But my form was all still there and I pushed my way through it all and killed it. I even got a couple of compliments from people at the gym telling me that I am working really hard and they are happy to see that and proud of me it kind made me feel like what big girls aren't supposed to work their a$$es off at the Gym but i took it for what it was intended. So I am still fighting and still hanging on. On another note I had to push my apt backfrom the 6th to the 11th so even more waiting now. I am supposed to be having my cycle on the 6th and they can't do that while TOM is visiting. But they did put me on the cancelation list so if there is a cancelation they will call me and I will go in. Have a good day everyone and make good choices.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No progress for me this week, still 224 :( never mind, the way it is so tough ha! Seen the doc about being exhausted all the time and I am being sent for blood tests on monday so lets hope it is something and nothing!
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ***** ************************** Need your weigh-ins for this week ***********************************************

Hey everybody. Please post your weigh-in for this week between Friday & Monday (Monday before noon please).

So just follow this link, and you can enter this weeks weigh in: you enter +/- in week 2. Lost -2lbs, gained 1lb etc...though of course we're all looking for losses :) You don't need to adjust your current weight or total lost, the spreadsheet will do it automatically.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnInOlpiuL1mdC1lU1U5aWloS256ei16c3lPX2Q1UWc&hl=en_US

PS - it auto saves, just so you know. :)
    ***********************************************************************************************************************
    I can't get into the google document from Work...
    I have lost 1.4 lbs as of today :) WOOHOO!! Hoping it's 2 lbs for WOW by Monday
  • andijohn
    Options
    Well...so far so good. I have been exercising everyday this week and doing alright on my calories...(granted its only been 2 days..but whatever lol).

So, speaking of heart-rate monitors. Do those of you who use one subtract your resting calories burned from it before entering in the exercise?

I had a MFP friend post a blog about this a while back...I'll see if I can find it and post the link. But it made a lot of sense to me.

Here is how it works (I'll use myself as an example).

According to MFP and my activity level (which I have at sedentary) I burn 2,290 calories just being me. No gym etc.

So that means if I take 2290 (calories I burn in a day) / 1440 (minutes in a day) = I burn 1.5 calories a minute just living life with no extra exercise.

Now lets say I walk for 60 minutes and burn 300 calories. In that same 60 minutes I would have naturally burned 90 calories.

So MFP is already accounting for 90 calories on my food diary when it picks how much I should be eating for a deficit..

If I add the full 300 burned from exercise, I'm actually adding 390. Before adding exercise, you should be subtracting what you would have burned without it.

Therefore, walking 60 minutes is 300-90 = 210 EXTRA calories burned.

Yes...seems like a lot of math, but once you get it, its not really. But if you think about that. That means that if you eat back all your exercise calories everyday. Then your actually eating an extra 90 calories.

That is so good to know! thanks for the info!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Today has been one hell of a crazy day and its only lunch time! I get to work and one of my co-workers is flipping out.... her son & his gf were robbed at gunpoint last night. They took all of their possessions and then demanded money... they said they didn't have any so the robbers almost raped the gf and killed them both! The gf started shouting that she gets paid tomorrow (today) so the robbers let them go and said they would be back today for their money!! So needless to say, they are packing up whats left of their stuff and moving out before the robbers come back! I feel horrible for them, and I'm praying the robbers aren't waiting/watching for them to get home... please pray they can make it out of their apartment unharmed!
  • andijohn
    Options
    Hello everyone! So checking in for this week! It has been super crazy!
    first I had to get an ingrown toenail removed, which is a good thing because it hurt! but it kinda put a damper on my workouts for a few days.:ohwell:
    second, I went to visit family for 4 days and it was super hard to stay under calorie goals, but I didn't go too crazy and was never over more than 100cal so I call that a win!
    third, due to my trip home I was super behind on homework for Grad School, so I spent all my extra time reading and writing papers, so no workouts for me :grumble: BUT!! next week should be a little slower so I can't wait to ramp it up a bit.

ALSO! in this crazy week I still lost 1.8lbs I am super happy about that.:happy:

AND....I took my measurements today, and I have lost 1.5" in my bust! (this is a good thing) but my calf and arm gained inches, I am hoping that it is muscle :bigsmile:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Today has been one hell of a crazy day and its only lunch time! I get to work and one of my co-workers is flipping out.... her son & his gf were robbed at gunpoint last night. They took all of their possessions and then demanded money... they said they didn't have any so the robbers almost raped the gf and killed them both! The gf started shouting that she gets paid tomorrow (today) so the robbers let them go and said they would be back today for their money!! So needless to say, they are packing up whats left of their stuff and moving out before the robbers come back! I feel horrible for them, and I'm praying the robbers aren't waiting/watching for them to get home... please pray they can make it out of their apartment unharmed!

I hope they call the cops!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

I hope they call the cops!

They did... cops came out and took a report but thats about it. I'm hoping they call and get a cop or two out there for protection while they move their stuff
  • rae_mayer
    Options
    Hi Ladies!
    I just posted my weight for the week. I lost 2.2lbs which not only puts me at 35lbs lost, but back into the 250's! I haven't been in the 250's for about 5 years. I feel like I'm going backwards in time!! :tongue:

I hope everyone else has a good week for weigh-ins too. I'm trying another fitness class tomorrow morning. It's water aerobics so I have to break out the swimming suit! Yikes! :noway: Hopefully I'll like it though.

Anyway I'm sure I'll talk to you all again this weekend!