Newbie Weight Lifter at Age 49

Options
In October 2023 I went to the Dr. for my annual biometric exam. Basically, I was/am overweight, I had high glucose with possible insulin resistance and high bad cholesterol.

I was given a list of to-dos by my Dr. who scheduled more blood work for 6 months later. I decided I would start eating right and exercising. Full body weightlifting workouts 2 times a week and cardio 3 times a week.

I've stuck with it since I made that decision. I've only lost 15 pounds in the 3 and a half months I've been at it. I was disappointed in this until my health coach pointed out that 1 pound a week weight loss is pretty good. That's the back story. Now on to my main question.

I've done TONS of research since I've started this. I'm 49 years old (in a few weeks) and have never really stuck to a weightlifting program for as long as and as consistently as I have now. I'm excited to see what changes will be made to my body at my next annual biometric exam, but I don't know what changes I can expect.

Most of the research I've done is geared toward young men, not middle-aged men. I still carry a lot of weight. I don't know how much of that is new lean muscle if any. I can't really see any changes. It seems on the interwebs the general consensus is one can expect to see (at least minimal) results in 3 to 6 months. I think that's geared toward young people.

I'm just curious if there are others out there who started lifting mid-life as basically a complete newb and stuck with it. What kind of results did you have? How long did it take before you finally started seeing a difference?

I am consistently adding more weight. My nutrition is pretty well dialed in. I'd give myself a B+. Maybe I'm still too fat? I've also wondered if I'm just an oddball for having waited so long to start lifting and there just aren't that many out there like myself to compare results against.

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight?
  • daymonh74
    daymonh74 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

5' 9.75" and 239 lbs
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    daymonh74 wrote: »

5' 9.75" and 239 lbs

You won’t visually see much in the way muscle gain until you lose more fat. As you lean out muscle will become more visible. You still have a ways to go so keep at it.

If you’re adding weight to the bar after the first month or so of lifting it’s a good sign you’re adding muscle. Keep an eye on your diet so that you stay in enough of a deficit to continue losing fat.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing everything right and making great progress. Keep doing what you're doing. Make sure to maximize your chances of success by getting enough protein, about 150g in your case is a good daily target, no harm in going higher, and make sure you get plenty of sleep. You may also consider adding creatine too.

Don't worry about how you might progress relative to someone in their 20's, say. Yes, it'll be harder as you know, but what's important is progress relative to your old self, and what you're doing will get you that progress. Ideally, you'll be doing this as long as you possibly can, and if you do then you'll be seeing more health benefits than just what the scale tells you.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I began lifting at 54. I ran a structured dumbbell routine for the first 6 months then began the first of several structured barbell routines. I'm still at it almost 5 years later - and I have never felt (or looked) better in my adult life. Initial gains were not quite exponential but I saw dramatic progress in six months. After one year, my chest, back and arms were measurably larger and I was significantly leaner. Progress is much more linear now but I continue to add weight to the bar regularly. In my experience there are three keys to successful progress: 1. Consistent workout schedule. 2. Proper nutrition - especially protein. 3. Sleep - at least 7 hours of good sleep nightly.

As others have mentioned, continue a calorie deficit for fat loss ensuring you are getting adequate protein to promote muscle growth. Best of luck and congrats on your progress so far. There is life after 50!

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Remember that progress can be measured in a variety of ways, the majority of which are NOT how you look visually. You've already identified the lifts are continuing to progress heavier and heavier, which is a great marker. For guys our age (I'm almost 46), some other important milestones:

...easier climbing up stairs (less knee pain, no losing breath)
    ...gym time goes from dreaded to expected to anticipated to desired
    ...fewer episodes of lethargy, more willing to get up and move to help with chores, etc
    ...higher libido due to having more energy, lifting helps restore testosterone
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at around 45ish. IMHO, too many make weight lifting too complex. Just start out really slow, get someone to help you with form, even if it's just a couple of trainer sessions.

I'm 58 now and I've moved from lifting 3X a week down to 2X per week, but I do a pretty rigorous workout when I lift (and do a lot of other stuff like Rowing and Assault Bike, that also compliment weights for my cardio).

I've been somewhat stunned, how over time, how much muscle I've been able to put on. Even in my late 50s. I'm around 208 right now (I'm just a bit taller than you), but I only really need to lose around 10 lbs.
  • daymonh74
    Options
    DoubleG2 wrote: »
    I began lifting at 54. I ran a structured dumbbell routine for the first 6 months then began the first of several structured barbell routines. I'm still at it almost 5 years later - and I have never felt (or looked) better in my adult life. Initial gains were not quite exponential but I saw dramatic progress in six months. After one year, my chest, back and arms were measurably larger and I was significantly leaner. Progress is much more linear now but I continue to add weight to the bar regularly. In my experience there are three keys to successful progress: 1. Consistent workout schedule. 2. Proper nutrition - especially protein. 3. Sleep - at least 7 hours of good sleep nightly.

As others have mentioned, continue a calorie deficit for fat loss ensuring you are getting adequate protein to promote muscle growth. Best of luck and congrats on your progress so far. There is life after 50!

THIS!!! Is what I was looking for. My biggest struggles right now are sleep and protein. Who would have thought getting enough protein would be so hard? I've added shakes to help with that, but getting even 0.8 grams per pound of fat is tough! On the sleep front I go to bed early enough to get 8 hours, but I cannot stay asleep for more than 6.5 hours most of the time. I definitely need to work on that.

I'm so glad to see someone who's started close to my age and had success with it. I've no plans of ever stopping (until I'm in a nursing home). I just needed that reassurance that I'm not too old and with consistency will come desirable results. Thank you.
  • daymonh74
    Options
    nay0m3 wrote: »
    @daymonh74 I am a female and started a bit younger but I will share my experience in the hopes it may bring some comfort/reassurance that you are on the right path!

I am almost 45 and I started weight training 3 years ago. The first 6 months or so, I actually saw my weight increase and saw my body visually become bigger as well. This was due to gain muscling under fat I still needed to lose. After that, I saw my body start to lean out and could see the muscle I had been working so hard for!

Despite now being ~5 pounds or so more than I would like to be currently, I am still in the best shape of my life and plan to continue this way for the rest of my years!

I also stopped drinking alcohol besides 1 or 2x/year for a special event, upped my protein, tracked macros, got enough sleep and just focused on movement in my daily life. Daily dog walks, parking far away, returning my cart all the way back inside the grocery store each time, standing desk, fidgeting consciously, all the little things add up.

KUDOS to you for embarking on this journey and may you find the true fulfilment that comes from taking care of yourself and prioritizing health and wellness and making it who you are now <3

You mentioned that you gained weight at first with lifting. Was this despite a caloric deficit? I'm curious because my goal was to lose about 2 pounds a week, but I don't think I'll be able to do that lifting weights. I've only lost 13 pounds so far which is just about a pound a week. I've no clue how much muscle I've added, but I add weight to the bar every week or two. I've added quite a bit of weight to the bar/bars since I've started actually.
  • daymonh74
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Remember that progress can be measured in a variety of ways, the majority of which are NOT how you look visually. You've already identified the lifts are continuing to progress heavier and heavier, which is a great marker. For guys our age (I'm almost 46), some other important milestones:

...easier climbing up stairs (less knee pain, no losing breath)
    ...gym time goes from dreaded to expected to anticipated to desired
    ...fewer episodes of lethargy, more willing to get up and move to help with chores, etc
    ...higher libido due to having more energy, lifting helps restore testosterone

I definitely can't rely on visual improvements right now. I'm just not seeing it. Likewise, I experience all of the other positive aspects you've mentioned and they're absolutely worth the effort for now. One other thing I noticed is I have to lift heavy tanks at work. I don't struggle with them nearly as bad as most of the other guys or as much as I used to. It's the small things for now I guess...
  • daymonh74
    Options

5' 9.75" and 239 lbs

You won’t visually see much in the way muscle gain until you lose more fat. As you lean out muscle will become more visible. You still have a ways to go so keep at it.

If you’re adding weight to the bar after the first month or so of lifting it’s a good sign you’re adding muscle. Keep an eye on your diet so that you stay in enough of a deficit to continue losing fat.

I do still have a good bit of fat to get rid of. I just hope at my age having just started lifting (4 months in on the 26th) that all that work is going to pay off when the majority of fat does come off.
  • daymonh74
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing everything right and making great progress. Keep doing what you're doing. Make sure to maximize your chances of success by getting enough protein, about 150g in your case is a good daily target, no harm in going higher, and make sure you get plenty of sleep. You may also consider adding creatine too.

Don't worry about how you might progress relative to someone in their 20's, say. Yes, it'll be harder as you know, but what's important is progress relative to your old self, and what you're doing will get you that progress. Ideally, you'll be doing this as long as you possibly can, and if you do then you'll be seeing more health benefits than just what the scale tells you.

I just started hearing about creatine recently. I've been taking protein shakes but thought about adding creatine to a smoothie for breakfast or something. I've read about people taking it before working out which makes me wonder if it makes people feel hyper or jittery.
  • daymonh74
    Options
    I started lifting at around 45ish. IMHO, too many make weight lifting too complex. Just start out really slow, get someone to help you with form, even if it's just a couple of trainer sessions.

I'm 58 now and I've moved from lifting 3X a week down to 2X per week, but I do a pretty rigorous workout when I lift (and do a lot of other stuff like Rowing and Assault Bike, that also compliment weights for my cardio).

I've been somewhat stunned, how over time, how much muscle I've been able to put on. Even in my late 50s. I'm around 208 right now (I'm just a bit taller than you), but I only really need to lose around 10 lbs.

So glad to hear you've had good success putting on muscle! Did you start lifting in your 50s? I lift twice a week. Full body heavy weights. I've been thinking about going to 3x a week, but I'm not sure if I'd be overtraining and I don't quite understand all of the mechanics related to doing splits just yet. I'm learning what my different muscles are and what they do. I'm just not 100% yet. I'm doing a lot of compound exercises right now too which if I understand correctly will kind of put my body into that muscle building mode (to dumb it down).
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    I just started hearing about creatine recently. I've been taking protein shakes but thought about adding creatine to a smoothie for breakfast or something. I've read about people taking it before working out which makes me wonder if it makes people feel hyper or jittery.
    It's safe, cheap, well researched.

It's a myth about needing to have it around your workout. Just get your 5g daily, doesn't matter when.
  • nossmf
    Options
    I lift twice a week. Full body heavy weights. I've been thinking about going to 3x a week, but I'm not sure if I'd be overtraining and I don't quite understand all of the mechanics related to doing splits just yet. I'm learning what my different muscles are and what they do. I'm just not 100% yet. I'm doing a lot of compound exercises right now too which if I understand correctly will kind of put my body into that muscle building mode (to dumb it down).

Some thoughts on the bolded parts...

Every person is different, and for some going 3x a week would be too much, for others it's not. Since you're still doing full-body, just make sure you have at least one day of rest between, so for example lift Mon-Wed-Fri taking Tues-Thur off. If you want to move one of those days to the weekend, no problem, just keep 24 hours between consecutive workouts. When and if you decide to try it, just monitor how you feel. If you are still feeling weak at the start of the next workout, then for your body at this moment in time you may not be ready yet for a third day. Likewise if your sleep starts to suffer or you are nonstop sore all the time. But realize that even if you aren't ready NOW, doesn't mean you'll never be ready, it just may take some more time getting used to lifting. Lots of people are able to graduate up to three lifting sessions per week just fine.

Don't worry yet about doing split workouts. Some people never do them, just stick with full-body every time, and they are very satisfied with their results. Others reach a point where they want to try splits, whether for the sake of variety or because they feel they can get better gains. Both paths are completely valid and can yield terrific results. If/when you want to learn about splits, there are plenty of resources available to read, and lots of people on this site more than willing to teach.

Now, for the part about compound exercises causing a "muscle building mode," let's stop right there. The way your muscles grow is a several-step process:
    • Muscle fibers are stressed/torn
    • The body sends nutrients to heal the damaged fibers
    • If the same fibers are repeatedly stressed/torn, the body does more than simply repair the damage, it adds reinforcement to help prevent future damage, aka builds bigger muscle
    This cycle can occur through lifting objects at work just as easily as through exercise of all forms. Yes, ALL forms, not just weightlifting...swimming, running, yoga can all spur increases in muscle, provided it first stresses the cells to the point of needing repair, then repeats the process until the body feels compelled to repair AND reinforce. This won't continue indefinitely. Think about walking: as an infant, walking was new and decidedly difficult, requiring lots of new brain coordination and muscle building, but as an adult you can walk around without causing any overt damage, thus there's no reason for building the muscles based strictly on walking. You CAN prompt the body into repair, such as by walking for hours on end or hiking over rough terrain/steep slopes.

Anyway, back to the part about compound exercises causing magical muscle building. The fact you're lifting weights is causing strain on your muscles, prompting the body's healing process. Keep doing this, and that's why you gain muscle. Now, what's special about compound moves (bench press, deadlift) compared to isolation moves (curls, leg extensions)? From a purely biological perspective, nothing at all. Both cause the muscles to tear, both require the body to adapt. What sets compound moves as generally considered superior is two-fold:
    • Time-saving
    • Heavy-setting
    Think about it this way: You can spend ten minutes doing pushdowns (triceps), another ten minutes doing cable fly's (chest) and ten more minutes doing DB front raises (shoulders), hitting all three groups in a total of 30 minutes. Or you can do bench press, hitting the same three muscle groups in ten minutes total, saving time to either do more compound moves or just get on with your day.

The other part about compound moves is how you can really load up the bar, since the combination of muscles working together are stronger than any one group by itself. Heavier weights cause correspondingly greater damage, which elicits a correspondingly greater healing/building reaction from the body.

Thus compound moves let you lift heavier for less total time while achieving more body response. That's your "muscle building mode," which can be achieved using nothing but isolation moves, it just would take a lot longer, both in terms of per workout as well as more weeks due to lighter loads being used. Isolation moves have their place, but unless you have a specific reason for doing them (a certain goal, a trainer's instructions, medical rehab, etc) you're probably better off going with most, if not all, compound moves.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @daymonh74 Yes--I gained despite being in a deficit but a modest deficit! If I remember from my learning, this is a result of water retention as the muscles try to repair, glycogen in muscles and losing fat but gaining muscle which can result in either no loss or staying the same. This was only for a few months as my body adapted to the new changes! I definitely leaned out.

Creatine is also a must and doesn't cause jitters or anything like that. There are so many research studies that have shown it is essential to speeding up the replacement of ATP which helps grow muscles as well as has cognitive benefits, even for those who don't lift! I take it after I lift but my husband takes it every morning before he has coffee and heads to work. Timing isn't important, nor is "loading" necessary. Just start taking 5g consistently.

Curious what your lifting program looks like if you want to share with us!

I started out with body part split 6 days per week which caught up with me after about a year and completely exhausted me, so I then moved to full body 4x/week and now I do upper lower splits 4x and a full body day 1x but I actually might reduce to just 4x and do more cardio. You will learn what works best for you like @nossmf suggested! There is no one way to do any of this, which is the cool part because you can become your own science experiment!
  • nossmf
    Options
    nay0m3 wrote: »
    Creatine is also a must...

For the record, I've never taken creatine and have been quite happy with the results of my hard work. I'm sure I ended up having some through my diet, but I never took it as a supplement. So while I won't argue it's potential benefits, I will argue the idea it's a "must."
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @nossmf Agreed "must" is not 100% but for the cost and the benefits for the body (not speaking solely to bodybuilding--there are a lot of other benefits that have been proven more lately) it seems silly not to take it.
  • Retroguy2000
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Technically, creatine isn't a "must", but the potential benefits weighed against how cheap and easy it is to add to your regimen, make it very compelling.

I used to lift casually in my 20's and early 30's. This was before the internet, so it was harder to get good info. I'd go to the gym, do stuff with no real plan. I made some progress, nothing amazing. Then my habits changed. I got more sedentary, and gained weight.

As I turned 50 a bit over 3 years ago I made changes. I got myself a little home gym of bench, loadable db's, ez-bar, barbell, pullup bar and various plates. I've since dropped over 50 pounds and sustained there. TBH I could probably drop another 10-20. My waist size is down about 6", and my tshirt size is the same, though some are baggier than others, but not enough to drop a size. I just got some blood work done, everything is in normal range though my glucose was higher than I thought it would be, at the high end of normal.

I've tried various splits and what I've found works for me, that I can sustain, is an upper/lower split every other day. On the in-between days I may do a bit of cardio. Yes, that means Monday one week will be a lifting day, the next week not. Since I'm working out at home, that's not a problem. Every four days I'm getting bench, squat, row, etc., and at the end of leg day I may add in Myo-reps for arms to get a little extra volume.

If you want to add a third day of weights you don't have to do entire full body again, which may well lead to overtraining even if you are (hopefully?) doing a deload every so often. Different parts recover faster than others. You don't need a convoluted split either. Keep doing bigger lifts like squats or deadlift twice a week, and on the extra day in between do more arms, accessories, etc.