What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,186 Member
    Options
    Exploratory hike through a land trust that's a private company and a working landscape with public access. The owner is doing amazing things with resource management. I'm impressed. I'll go back.

Double palindrome; mileage was 11.11 miles, and time was 252 minutes.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Did around 70 minutes of cardio yesterday -- mostly treadmill @ an incline, but then some Assault Bike to end.

Today was lifting in the AM followed by a 30 minute row for distance, restricted to 20 SPM (strokes per minute). My one at the beginning of the month was like 6500 meters. This was over 6600, so nice improvement (2:16 average pace).
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I had my Day 10 post op visit to the surgeon this morning. Needed all of 5 minutes. He said I'm clear to resume all activities. Just to be sure, I asked specifically about swim/bike/run/deadlifts/squats. His answer: "Yes to all of it. Picking something up won't hurt you. Get back at it, just don't go super heavy the first week or two."

That news cleared me to join my training friends for an outdoor bike ride this afternoon. Temps were in the high 50's with some breeze. Four of us rode a short hilly route around a local reservoir and adjacent orchard, covering 23 miles at a 15.8mph average. I was sucking wind on the climbs, but managed to stay with the group. Felt good to be out on the bike, as the trainer rides have been somewhat boring lately.

Plan is to run tomorrow, swim Wednesday, then back on the bike Thursday.

Congrats on being back in the game! I know you didn't let it slow you down too, too much, but that's good to hear there soon won't be any limitations.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,186 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx

Yay!

Getting released for all activities feels great.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @Mike - I had been in a funk lately, so the doctor's words were very timely. And today's ride reminded me how much I enjoy doing the work needed to keep up with my tri club friends.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    5 miles to and around the lake.
    7hevrnx9r3yr.jpeg

Then walked another mile and a bit more back home..

9hak2s75vaqi.jpeg

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    Options
    Hour on the elliptical, hills.

Technically, it was 50 minutes of work, plus five minutes of cool down, which I've always rounded up to an hour. But next time I get on the elliptical, which allows me to record manual workouts for the computer to adjust automatically upon repeat, I'm gonna record a new 60-minute workout rather than the 50-minute I've been using. Still not sure why I had 50 minutes. But if I'm going to be doing a legit hour on the treadmill, least I can do is a legit hour on the elliptical, then I can truly see how the calorie burns compare. Quick mental math says they'll line up perfectly, but we'll see. Reality doesn't always match theory, the scientist in me is quick to note.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @Djproulx

Yay!

Getting released for all activities feels great.

Thanks! and yes it does.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Just a super easy treadmill walk (incline) and then Assault Bike, around 45 minutes total. Cut a but short today.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Elliptical Interval (HIIT) setting first session 124 minutes for 8.14 miles, zone 3. The had to babysit for about 2 hours, then the second session Interval setting again 56 minutes for 3.75 miles, zone 3= 180 minutes, 11.89 miles.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,069 Member
    Options
    As predicted, no workout Sunday (rest day) or Monday (unless drinking craft beer, eating pub food (tots skillet!) and playing presidential bingo (yes, really) counts as a workout, which seems doubtful . . . but I had fun).

Energized by 2 days off and, ahem, yesterday's calorie surplus, today's stationary bike ride felt easier than usual at the same intensity, so 60' (93W) + 3' CD (77W), about 1/3 Z3 and 2/3 Z2.

I moved in some way (not sure what) that aggravated my shoulder to a constant dull ache (🙄), not debilitating but unpleasant, so I'm skipping lifting for a while (any excuse works, much as I don't love it, but this seems like actually a good one). I even skipped PT home exercises last night, but will do them tonight.

I have PT appointment tomorrow, so maybe we can figure it out, assuming the appointment doesn't get wiped out by the predicted sleet/snow/freezing-rain/ice-storm/wind that's forecast. This isn't an unusual Winter forecast for here, but we never know when it'll turn out extra fun. Keeping power on would be nice, since it's sub-freezing air temp.
  • nossmf
    Options
    An elliptical was available when I got to the gym this morning, so I was able to immediately implement my plan of 60 minutes consisting of 20 separate hills at a 2m work/1m rest interval. Steadily increased the incline and resistance to a max at hill 15, then reduced on the back end back to starting levels. I anticipated I would increase my calorie burn by maybe 15%, but because the additional time was spent at the highest intensity the actual burn increased by 25%. Quads are exhausted now, so tomorrow will definitely be a treadmill day to give my quads a break while working my calves/hammies.

The only bummer was I forgot to click "save workout" when I was done, so next time I'll have to again pay attention and make adjustments minute-to-minute instead of just letting the computer change for me. Oops.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Did an easy swim workout just to get back in the pool to see how the stretching and reaching of a crawl stroke would feel. I was a bit tight, but not sore. It was a very easy paced 1000 yd swim.

Back to see my trainer tomorrow.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Just added a half hour of shoveling snow. I won't count the half hour of hand wringing after to restore circulation in my fingers, lol.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

@Djproulx, good to see you easing back into your regular routine. I'm sure it feels good to get back into. I hope the surgery will put you in an overall better/safer spot moving forward.

My day:

Physical therapy appointment, which got moved earlier in the day because of the crum-ola weather forecast. There was already a pebbly sheet of thin ice on my driveway when I left home, and my windshield was fully iced over post-appointment, but the roads were thankfully still fine.

PT added some mobility exercises (upper spine, scapulae, neck) to my home regimen plus some shoulder strength (internal and external shoulder rotations with band resistance, scapular protraction in flexion), with directions to mix and match with my pre-existing exercises to get a reasonable daily time budget.

Tried another short machine row tonight (2k + 2' CD), 2:25.4 pace/21spm on the 2k, mostly Z3, a little Z4 & Z2. Only hurt a little during, seems OK after, which is reassuring.

Followed with the usual stationary biking, not expecting much after the row, just going for the "75W minimum, see how it feels" as usual, but it felt pretty easy to do the 60' at 101W, 3' CD at 82W. Pushed a little within comfort at the end into 140W-ish range, so got HR to 155 (2 bpm above 220-age, but actually only about 86% HRmax, 80% reserve) at the very end, still not panting or anything so that seems about the right RPE for the lower edge of anaerobic. Mostly Z3, only about 4' Z4 at the end, using Garmin's zones.

Still need to do some of the home PT exercises before bed, and will.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Elliptical - one hour, hills

I know my plan was to NOT do the elliptical again so soon, but all the 30-degree treadmills were in use, plus the elliptical is able to log into my Netflix account so I watch movies as I workout, and the current movie was just getting to a good part when I ended yesterday, so yeah. 😎 But the way my quads are barking at me, I'm gonna need to do a treadmill work tomorrow regardless if it's a 30- or 25-degree treadmill.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Elliptical - one hour, hills

I know my plan was to NOT do the elliptical again so soon, but all the 30-degree treadmills were in use, plus the elliptical is able to log into my Netflix account so I watch movies as I workout, and the current movie was just getting to a good part when I ended yesterday, so yeah. 😎 But the way my quads are barking at me, I'm gonna need to do a treadmill work tomorrow regardless if it's a 30- or 25-degree treadmill.

@nossmf, I'm starting to see signs of serious cardio addiction . . . be careful! ;)