Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you NEED to deadlift?

12346»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    edited October 2022

• ninerbuff
    edited December 2022

bump
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited January 2023
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2023

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Uh, @ninerbuff you okay?’
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    He's just bumping the thread periodically so fresh eyes can see it.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    Almost a year later, re-read this discussion (it's saved in my bookmarks). Thought I'd simultaneously bump it for new eyes to see, as well as post a quick personal update:

In almost 15 years of lifting, I've only had three extended periods of missed gym time (3+ weeks) due to a lifting injury; two of them were due to deadlifting off the ground. After the second occurrence last year, a PT friend of mine asked me to describe how the injury happened. He listened, determined both deadlifting injuries occurred during the first couple inches off the floor due to poor form, and recommended I do rack pulls instead, which basically are doing the top-half of a deadlift motion. (At the lowest point, the bar sits on the weight rack at- or just below-knee height. Hence, RACK pulls.)

Been doing them for about 9 months now, and not only has there been no injury (not even a twinge telling me I was close to one), but I'm pulling considerably heavier weights (for 5 reps) than I could with the full-range deadlift (for 2 reps).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    That’s genius and I am going to try that. Same issue here. Deadlifts pull my back out, even at light weights.

I find it interesting that the abs crunch machine is kind of the opposite motion and feels like a massage. I love that thing.
  • ninerbuff
    nossmf wrote: »
    Almost a year later, re-read this discussion (it's saved in my bookmarks). Thought I'd simultaneously bump it for new eyes to see, as well as post a quick personal update:

In almost 15 years of lifting, I've only had three extended periods of missed gym time (3+ weeks) due to a lifting injury; two of them were due to deadlifting off the ground. After the second occurrence last year, a PT friend of mine asked me to describe how the injury happened. He listened, determined both deadlifting injuries occurred during the first couple inches off the floor due to poor form, and recommended I do rack pulls instead, which basically are doing the top-half of a deadlift motion. (At the lowest point, the bar sits on the weight rack at- or just below-knee height. Hence, RACK pulls.)

Been doing them for about 9 months now, and not only has there been no injury (not even a twinge telling me I was close to one), but I'm pulling considerably heavier weights (for 5 reps) than I could with the full-range deadlift (for 2 reps).
    If I do ANY deadlifts, it's rack dead lifts. What's exciting here is at the end of the month we're getting 6 deadlift/squat rack platforms to replace the old squat racks and mats here. Also adding a Tbar row machine, a new glute lift machine and 2 full racks of new dumbbells. I can't wait!!!!!

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png