WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Lanette I buy the fresh basil plants in a grocery store. I put it in a small bowl and on the windowsill in the kitchen. It is a west window. I water it mostly from the bottom by putting water in the bowl. I find once I pick off the bigger leaves I get a set of smaller leaves. I have fresh basil for about a month-two months with this method. If it is still living I hope to try to put it outside once it gets to 60 at night here. My master gardener friends told me herbs like it warm. Basil also likes more water than rosemary and lavender. Rosemary and lavender have Mediterranean roots.

Rosemarie In the Somalia culture when there is a death the woman band together and sit with the bereaved. They sit in a big circle to support the woman who is grieving. They bring food and their presence. I hope you feel us circling you with our love. As you walk into your safe space wherever it may be only allow the help which supports you leave the rest at the door step. It is your time to take care of you. The rest of the world will take care of itself.

Beth Inspiring me to do some purging today. DH switched back to Century Link. Yesterday it got done. I did take back the Xfinity modem right away rather than leave it for three weeks like I did the old computer stuff purge.

(((Kim))

:heart: Margaret
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    March, 2023 Action for happiness.org

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate my meditation app.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 4/15-(100%,100%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 4/31– (84%,86%,)
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow,)
    Meditation: daily. 5/31 (82%(started Feb))

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 4/8–(100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9484, (7,700,100%-9851,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 6/15 —(100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)25/64–(100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2—(100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 4/20– -(100%,88%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 8/12 (100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71(100%,100%,100)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world. The blue water of Lea Lake, Snow on the mountains at a distance, walking a nature trail. All at Bottomless Lakes State Park.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I am healthy and above ground. I can walk,talk,hear, see, taste, and smell (mostly). I appreciate that I alive and have a healthy body.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. I will try…
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. I sent texts to my long distance friends to send them love.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. Most days are like that for me. So much less stress!
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day. Sounds like a plan.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food. Started at breakfast.
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I will need to keep this in the front of my mind all day.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee.
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.
    Barbie's Happiness Commandments

Be Barbie
    Lighten up
    Do it now
    Dance more
    Choose strategy over willpower
    Cultivate an attitude of gratitude
    Come from a place of love
    Stay in the moment
    Act the way you want to feel
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    Don't expect praise or recognition
    It is what it is
    Don't take things personally
    Treat yourself like a toddler
    What's fun for other people may not be fun for you, and vice versa
    You can choose what you do, but you can't choose what you like
    Be kind, no exceptions
    Ask always, how could my life be better with less?

RVRita
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did an advanced Strength DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a bit on the stairstepper and then some HIIT on the elliptical.

Lanette – oh, those pancakes sound so good. Is a full pancake 250 calories or ¼ of one?

Barbara – Why can’t we stay in FL longer? Well, for one thing vince has this “thing” about having someone else pick up our mail. Online you can only hold the mail for 30 days (he likes to do things online). But we went to the post office and explained that we were going to be gone 35 days. They told us just to fill out this card. Plus….BK gave me 5 weeks off. I think they’re willing to since I’ll be back. I don’t think we can push the post office too much as far as extending the hold. We’ve heard too many horror stories about having your mail forwarded. As a matter of fact, the lady across the hall from us has her mail forwarded. Well, when I checked the mailbox this year, there was something in it for her husband! How long had it been there? Good question. Just hope it wasn’t something that was time sensitive!

Lisa – I love reading your posts. You have such a way with words!

Rosemarie – I have the highest regard for you, all you’ve been thru.

Joy – welcome. Be sure to pop back in so we can all get to know you better

Kim – HUGS. We’re here for you always

Well, my neighbor wants to take me out to lunch at Chipotle. I think she likes that place since she knows that she can get gluten free. I’ve looked online and what I think I’ll have is 303 calories according to their calculator.

Michele who has canasta to go to tonight
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Kim- I'll be praying for you my friend..
    There is always one child in the family..most every family that feels obligated to help a family member..and for mine it was me..
    I remember the last 2 weeks of my moms life I took FMLA
    but i would go in from say 7 am - 10 am and then go stay with my mom ,then in the afternoons id have to do the kid thing..
    Well I remember coming home one of those afternoons ,I was married to Tom then and he flipped out on me about money.. mind you he was working 15-20 hrs a week of overtime
    And I turned around to him and with daggers in my eyes ,said my mother is on her Fn death bed and your worried about money... F you!!! And I took my purse and walked out... should have kept on walkin
    Then when my dad passed,I was living at my condo and had filed for divorce he passed in January and we divorced in March but to put up a front he came to the wake and I introduced him as my husband.
    Wacky I know..oh well
    So there ya go..
    Kim take a deep breath and if you need to take it an hour at a time my friend and know we are all in your back pocket.
    I need to run to Wal-Mart but sheesh ,i hate to go in to stores.. well I'll go check Homer,then Alfie get a few bags and a mask and do my best...
    Miles came right over to me and I picked him up and he put his head on my shoulder and was ready for nappies
    Poor little guy isn't feeling good.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps.

Supposed to rain like a mother this afternoon, so enjoying the fire, gonna use urge firewood up and going to put most of the stuff away while it’s dry. Leaving tomorrow anyway.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,953 Member
    Options
    Dh had his alarm set early to grab a shower before they turn the water off for the day. The note said it would be off from 8am-5pm. He got done with his shower at 7:45. Water was still on at 9:15 but shut off some time after that.
    Raining here- calling for "Atmospheric River" the next few days. Glad I got a nice walk in the past two days.
    Heading to Concord for lunch. Will do a little shopping. With bridge toll $7, we make as many stops as we can to justify that. Son had said he was going to go with us but now that it is time to get up, not sure if he will or not. Hopefully. Enjoy spending time with him. He still lives at home but is usually at work, out with his girlfriend or the guys or just in his room. Told me yesterday to let him know any gardening work I want him to do, that it was my birthday present so it would be free. Love that "kid".
    Sent a thank you card to MIL yesterday(dh took it)- she complained- "what, she couldn't call?!" Other times she complains because no one sends her thank you cards. Didn't feel like talking to her so sent the card with him. Good enough.
    Dentist at 8AM tomorrow morning. Most likely another crown. Third one as a result of my accident. He tried doing a build up on it but it has fallen off twice. Will see what he wants to try. The tooth looks ok in the front but half the back is gone. Glad we still have the better coverage for another month and a half.
    Time to see if I can get my kid up. It is his day off and I know he likes to sleep.
    If not, it will be just dh and I. Have to kind of rush through our stops so he can be back by 4 to take care of his mom. I don't want to be running late and have to go with him if I don't have to.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    I love you, Kim, and admire and respect you so much. Big hugs being sent to you.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Just a quick response…. Everyone with Birthdays HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Thinking of you all and sending good thoughts, just not enough bandwidth for individual responses right now.

My mom is a trooper and is working really hard in the PT, however I have learned more about what her status will be at discharge – she should be able to transfer from a wheel chair to the bed, toilet, and maybe to a shower chair. I was not expecting the wheelchair at all. And the toilet might have to be a commode chair by the bed.

Having her here is concerning for my mental heath, the information from my sister has let me know more about the quantity and malicious of my mothers manipulation of her daughters.

However there is no financial support via government or private insurance for care to extend beyond 21 days, that includes physical therapy – and she would have to sell the house and completely spend down all the savings/retirement/and the value of the home before that financial help would happen. Also in my small amount of research the locations closer to me will run 8,000-15,000 per month some of that cost is how many of meds she needs. And she would not be allowed to manage her own meds. She takes 4 pills a day, and that is considered a lot (LOL)

So it will be a balancing act between the money, my needs, and how she does medically. I am looking into hiring some help for here in my home as a compromise, as the cooking, laundry and handing her her meds is something that is not a problem for me.

I am under a lot of stress and feeling pretty raw, so as my friends, please be gentle with me.
    Kim in N. California

Kim,

Sending so much love. We are your pocket angels.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you Kim. Hope it all goes smoothly. One day at a time.

I didn't think I was suited to caregiving but I'm doing it without too much trouble. It's light duty so far.

My dad tried to make a frozen chocolate drink. He put ice in the stand mixer thinking it was like a blender. Lol! Fortunately he didn't break anything. He even (mostly) cleaned up his mess. Yay!

It's ham and soup for dinner for my parents tonight. Should be easy. I take a thick slice of ham and boil it in a skillet to warm it up.

I already had my mango smoothie and portion of chicken. Next is horseback riding, then cooking, then my dumbbells again. Along with ten minutes on my new bike!

Annie in Delaware