WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. Sometimes liberating, sometimes lost.
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. Morning and evening and in between.

Barbie trade offs, yes! Number one on our home shopping “musts” list was BIG trees. All you listed plus how much it cost to have the 3 dead oaks and one huge, beautiful but dying Port Orford cedar removed. I’m only wistfully wishing for a sunnier spot, wouldn’t trade our Sitka spruce/Douglas fir forest to get it ;) Exciting news about Jake’s walking sticks and friend. With all the healthful choices you make, I’m confident you’ll pass your annual with flying colors!
    Michele Miraculous indeed. Well done, Vince!
    Katla :heart: Sorry that tasty rich breakfast was too rich. Back to cottage cheese and blueberries! :laugh: Hope having some of your things brings comfort and joy.
    Sandy in KY, would your Doctor order PT? Chew, chew, chew. Take time to savor. Chew some more ;)
    Ginny non-THC containing CBD oil sometimes soothes my arthritic knees and knuckles.
    Love the scent of frankincense.
    Heather :love: your watercolor window views. Really admire how you and Johnny really engage with the grands, not just feed, water, and stick in front of a screen. If I can’t be in Miss Kelly’s play group, can I be one of your grands?
    Carol grateful your DH is feeling better. That was scary!
    Annie that black and crumbly stuff falling from the basement ceiling, please tell me it couldn’t be mold?!?
    Allie that Miles corral is brilliant! Glad Carmine went to their session, relieved counselor doesn’t find them suicidal. Your grandpa was a wit!
    Rita yours about keeping lists and tracking to maintain (or re-) focus. Also the non-judging acceptance we get here. Amen, sister, amen! :love: the zen tips meme.
    Debbie prayers continue for Destiny and her family. Also for Karen’s Josephina Ballerina and Kylia’s Aubrey. Enjoyed watching church online yesterday too (in my flannel nightshirt :> ) but missed the in person communion and fellowship. What you said about the music too. Look forward to hearing about the soup, I could never get the asparagus ends to puree enough, the fibers always defeated/choked me.
    Rebecca don’t know if this will help, but read about a woman who was grieving a behavior of her son so hard she could barely function. Her spiritual advisor suggested she set aside 30 minutes a day to feel as sad as she could, think sad thoughts, listen to sad music, watch a sad movie, and cry as much as she could. Seemed to help to limit the grief and its impact on her and the rest of her family’s life. Good luck with the grief therapist!
    @lih2 well done on the snowshoeing! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Margaret that ?snowy egret? Looks so balletic! :love: the caption too.
    Rosemarie thanks for checking in. :brokenheart::cry: SMH and that “friend”s rudness. Sounds like internet-addiction-withdrawal to me. :devil: Safe travels and dress warm!
    Lanette thanks for the spoiler warning. Not ready for fast twitch cadaver muscles before breakfast :laugh: A liter is a lot! Thanks also for the humming/nitric oxide tidbit. Might help with my BP which spiked this morning to 161/83, highest since January last year. Just put Breath (Nestor) on library hold.
    Pip camping again? Where to this time?
    Kay yours to all about the calories and protein. If I could just walk away from the sugar . . .
    Evelyn your idea to send pip’s boot to Rebecca’s youngest, priceless! “need to remember to stop when things start going wrong and then just go back later or the next day.” Anything to reduce frustration prompted snacking. Well done!
    Machka and Debbie, I remember my nose feeling “off” for a very long time, and then one day, it was fine. Your doctor’s advice to keep massaging with Vit E oil is spot on. There’s another product called “ScarGo” that would have worked better on my wrist surgery scars if I’d have been able to be as aggressive/vigorous as the Md recommended, but I just couldn’t make myself. It HURT!
    Rebecca, its not opera but…
    https://whidbeycommunitychorus.org/
    https://whidbeyartscalendar.com/event/open-circle-community-choir-create-space-langley/2022-10-24/
    Beth praying your DH’s cardiologist appointment reveals nothing serious or hard to fix.
    Welcome @CheerMom715 Kim!

Favorite sport. As a lifelong couch potato/bookworm the word “Sport” makes me shudder, just like “Exercise.” Had do flip it to:
    Favorite activities:
    Walking, line dancing, slow gentle hiking, playing in the dirt, Zumba, swimming, aqua Zumba and baking, Alas, no warm pool here, can’t make myself go to the gym for Zumba, can’t not eat what I bake, so content myself with line dancing 2 or 3 times a week, walking dogs dailyish, dog group weekly and the occasional slow gentle hike with patient friends. Soon as we get a few dry hours in a row I’ll get back to weeding, picking up sticks, fantasizing about growing veggies . . .
    03/05: Move: 3 sets PT with dumbbells, dogs to powerline, active mins:188 steps:4087
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 10+5+6+4+5 = apple, artichoke, beans-garbanzo, cabbage, cranberries, edamame, ginger, Kashi, macadamia nuts, mint jelly, mushrooms, olive oil, onions-red, peanut butter, pecans, pepperoncini, peppers-sweet, pomelo, popcorn, potato, radish, rice-white, romaine, scallions, tangerines, tea-black, tea-lemongrass/wintergreen, tofu, walnuts, wheat-pasta/English Muffin/ginger snaps/brownie/pancake/matzoh. CI<CO=-114
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, online church, filing/decluttering/cleared keyboard. Wt: 135.1
    03/04: Move: 3 sets PT, dogs to powerline, Jeopardy walking. active mins:267 steps:7647
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 10+5+6+4 = apple, artichoke, beans-garbanzo, cabbage, cranberries, edamame, ginger, Kashi, macadamia nuts, mint jelly, mushrooms, olive oil, onions-red, peanut butter, potato, radish, rice-white, romaine, scallions, tangerines, tea-black, tea-lemongrass/wintergreen, tofu, walnuts, wheat-pasta/English Muffin/ginger snaps/brownie. CI<CO=517
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, hymns Wt: 135.4

Time to get up off my duff and move.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. March: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Our usual camping spot is pismo coast village Eve resort in pismo beach CA.

That breakfast is not my usual breakfast, actually I don’t eat something til I get home after our walk when we’re home. Camping is when we do eat breakfast, drink and whatever else for dinner but I do count the calories no matter what. When camping, I do let do a bit. Breakfast alone is 630 calories which is CRAZY too much normally.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    Barbie that’s an interesting recipe! Does it taste at all like peanut sauce?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Well im home..
    Got Miles down for a second nap which wasn't to hard..he has a nasty cold.
    Tracy is freaking out because a friend of hers they met out in Ohio is home schooling her 3 yr old and at the age Miles is she was picking out colors and numbers..Tracy wants to home school him,I asked how is she going to do that if she is working part time.
    I really dont want to get roped into schooling him also..
    My cousin im going to visit had 6 kids and home schooled them all.so i will get some info and pointers from her..

You/they can start teaching Miles now. When I was in childcare, I started teaching kids their colours, numbers, etc. when they came into my room at 18 months. By the time they left my room at 3, they knew their colours and many could count to 10. Many could print their names and could read a few words. :)

A lot of that teaching involved reading to the kids and doing art projects.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    I am doing this Happiness calendar for March. Feel free to copy or simply use it if you’d like!

March, 2023 Action for happiness.org
    RVRita
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.

Sky, sand and ocean
    15jmjq5nsagk.png

3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive.

Yesterday's 54 km bicycle ride and 5 km walk on the beach ...

4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words.

19nper8umeoo.png

5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them.

:heart:

6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels.

The only plans we had yesterday was a stroll through a neighbouring arty town to look at the shops.

7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.

I do box breathing at some point just about every day.

9. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and email of your food.
    10. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others.
    11. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.
    18. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee.
    19. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.
    20. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.
    21. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.
    22. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.
    23. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    24. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    25. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    26. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    27. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    28. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    29. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    30. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    31. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    32. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    33. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    34. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    35. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    36. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    37. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    38. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    lih2 wrote: »
    good afternoon all,
    just got back from a great snowshoe walk with my husband . -2 C here with sun and blue skies. 60 years young and getting back to logging after a too long absence. Need to get in shape for our fall biking trip ! Have a great sunday everyone.

Where are you going on your fall biking trip?

• Machka9
    Options
    nanerkay wrote: »
    I eat real fast I'm trying to slow down does anyone have any tips.

I got in the habit of eating very fast when I got into long distance cycling. In Audax or Randonneuring type of cycling, the events are timed so the less time you spend off the bicycle doing things like eating and using the toilet, the better.

So I got so that I could stuff a chicken sandwich into my mouth, wash the whole thing down with a couple gulps of orange juice and be back on the bicycle again.

As I find the process of eating a time waster anyway, it translated over into everyday meals. So I constantly work on slowing things down.

One of the things I do is to take a moment to savour something and find the flavour in it. Also, when I find myself shovelling food in and swallowing it, I tell myself to pause and chew a moment. It's a work in progress.

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same thing every day up till 6 pm, at dinner. But even then, our dinners don't vary too much.

That works for me because eating is one of those necessary evils. I have to eat or I'll feel weak and dizzy.

When I have been on my own, I have had no trouble at all remaining slim because I can time my eating and I'm not tempted to eat too much.

However, when my husband gets the ice cream out in the evenings, I am tempted!! So it has been harder to remain slim since I moved to Australia to be with him.

I have been maintaining for quite a while, mostly because of the exercise, but I've got to figure something out to start losing!!

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did an HIIT DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Jari Love Extremely Ripped DVD

Evelyn – I have a feeling that kids don’t know what they’re putting their moms thru. Denise hasn’t brought PJ to see us once in the 3 years he’s been alive. She has no idea (and probably doesn’t care) how much it hurts me. But that’s life. I know that even as babies, we always once a year took a 2 day drive to see my in-laws (all 3 kids). That was funsville when the kids were being potty trained!! I had to have not only their clothes packed for when we get there, but I also had to have an overnight bag for each of the kids. And she can’t make a 9 hour one day trip! Wouldn't surprise me if Pete's mother thinks that she shoudn't.

Doing a load of laundry right now and then will probably go to the pool for a bit.

I am doing a xstitch for Jess for Christmas, only I made a mistake and marked with pencil on the cloth. Does anyone know how to get pencil out of fabric?

Katla – it always feels good to have your own belongings so I’m sure this will help you and your husband

barbie – good luck at the doc’s. I’m sure you’ll do fine, especially since you take such good care of yourself

pip – love those lights! Where did you get them?

Vince walked around the parking lot three times today. Saturday it was twice. I sort-of told him that he was going to be walking tonight mainly because they play this game, Horseracing, in the clubhouse. I played 2 weeks ago just to see what it was all about. Honestly, I wasn’t impressed so Vince walking and needing me as a motivator was my excuse why I couldn’t go. They did want me to return and I really didn’t want to

Barbara and Debbie – I have heard of peeling the outside of the broccoli stalks before cooking them. Never tried it but it makes sense. When you get frozen broccoli, there are always parts of the stems.

Evelyn – sending pip’s boot to Rebecca’s son made me snort my water! Brilliant idea

Allie – knowing you, even if you don’t want to get roped into schooling Miles, my bet is that you will.

Went in the pool, got the bill (finally!) from the guy who removed the bushes and plugged and seeded the lawn. We’ll probably send him the payment from here. When we get back we’re going to have some excavating work but by someone else. This guy is a really nice guy, but I really need to know how much I have in my “landscape” fund for other projects.

Michele who just found out that there’s going to be a pool party on the 18th.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    March is turning out to be better than I imagined. I have been happier thanks to Pip’s help, and it is good to be back with my friends here. :)

Karen—Several years ago we had raccoon damage under our home. They found a way under the house. Fixing was expensive. We had to hire a company to remove us raccoon poo, put down a new moisture barrier and replace insulation. We put heavy metal screens on every vent in the foundation. Thank goodness we were insured. Nearby homes had similar raccoon problems.

Carol—Sending prayers for you & your DH. I hope the tests are good.

DH is tucked into bed & I plan to exercise for a bit and have a pleasant evening.

Katla

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Kylia - maybe DH could listen to the work issues and fix them rather than be freaked out.

I had a very restful weekend. I have been reading but not feeling like I had a lot to contribute.

On Saturday I used the record cleaning kit and got through cleaning about 20 albums. In the afternoon Kaitlyn came over and we listened to some of my FIL’s albums.

Yesterday I worked on a little project I was wanting to do before we left for NB.

Work was OK today, but man I wish I could win the lottery and retire.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    The lab tech that drew my blood said I NEED to SELF CARE. Like I know this, but can't seem to figure that out. I passed all the other exams, so we will wait and see what the next 2 bring.

Hugs!
    Love!
    Prayers!
    Encouragement!

Thankful for all of you for being on this journey with me!

<3
    Kylia

PS- My DH is freaked out! Trying to keep him calm.

Is it possible for you to go part time at work, and have them hire someone completely unrelated to anyone in the company to work either part time or full time?

All the best with the tests.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3