WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Dr Katie: 🥰 The mattress

☘️ Terri

Terri wins the prize for knowing where the delivery men found my splint. I had changed the sheets that day, and it made total sense that the motion of putting on new ones would cause it to slide off. I took the new sheets off and remade the bed looking for the splint. It must have been way up between the mattress and box spring. It was stuck to the box sprong with the velcro fastener. They found it when they were sliding the old box spring onto the truck. At least I know I didn’t flush it down the toilet. That’s where Dave always thought it was.

Rosemarie, I am glad your food bank took your husband’s liquid food. Ours would not take Daddy’s pureed food. They didn’t think they had anyone that would take it, and it needed to be stored in the freezer. We had a lot. We finally got a meighbor to take some of it. Mama ended up feeding the rest to my brother’s dogs.

I can’t tell that my new mattress sleeps any better than the old. We shall see!

Barbara, i absolutely love Aloha protein bars. I get them from Amazon. They are approved by my nutritionist and taste delicious. My favorite is chocolate chip cookie dough. One a day for snack and you will think you’ve had your sweets. I also love Quest protein cookies, but my nutritionist frowns upon them because they have erithritrol. I probably spelled that wrong. I have a smoothie once a day made with 1 1/2 scoops of protein powder to help me meet my goals.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    Tina thanks for the recommendation!

Annie in Delaware
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Allie – mark my words, regardless of how much you want to do things, you’ll wind up teaching Miles. As I recall, tracy doesn’t have a backup plan if you aren’t able to watch Miles. Or if I’m wrong, it took her a long time to find an alternate plan. Same will happen here. I know you love Miles deeply. Margaret is so right, as a grandmother you give him lots of learning.

Laurie – welcome

I signed up to go to the lady’s lunch tomorrow, Thursday Lorraine wants to take me to Chipotle for lunch, then Friday we are going to meet friends of ours for lunch. Vince said that instead of walking around the parking lot I should jog….lol

When I told Vince that I was going to this lady’s to play cards he said “so I’m going to lose my walking partner”. Someone please pinch me. I told him I’d go later but he said that he’ll go sooner. When I get back I’ll ask him how many laps he did then I’ll probably go for my walk.

The Y that I worked at had a Montessori school

Going to put my sneakers on so I’ll be ready to go for my walk when I get back.

Went to this quilt shop here. I knew they were in this mall so I went there yesterday, only they weren’t there. So I asked at the mall office and I got a lot of “she owes us xxxx”. Like I really care. Then I went to Hobby Lobby and they told me where she was located now. In the 40 years we’ve been coming down here, I never knew that there was a strip mall there. Well, I went there today and got an earful of “they are dealing with asbestos”. But I did get the pens I wanted.

Michele who thought the pool was quite warm today

• CheerMom715
    CheerMom715 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Day 2 for me and doing well !

Went on my treadmill today and got a workout done !!!! Kept my calories at a deficit too ! Woo hoo!

Thank you for the welcomes. I’m looking forward to reading up more on what everyone is up to tomorrow.

Need to slow certain things down and speed up others. Lol.

Kim. 😀
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Machka, you advocate so well for your hubby, perhaps its time you advocated for yourself in regards to possible heart issues. That tightness and nausea etc does not sound good at all! Be the squeaky wheel! :)
    Rosemarie, what Heather said from me too. I read pretty much every post from beginning to end (don't want to miss anything important!) so feel free to vent and chat and whatever you need to do, we are here for you. I am happy that you have made arrangements to remove some extraneous stuff from your home and I hope that a few days at your spartan B&B will make you feel more ready to tackle the house.
    Betsy, I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise! Welcome back!
    Kylia, I hope you are also able to get some answers, your issues sound concerning to me (not that I have any medical training, but still the heart is not something you want to mess with!)
    Allie, "do not pet the fart squirrels" LOL, thanks I needed that! I'm so sorry to hear of your friend and her transition. I think you need to make sure that Tracy understands that you will not be Miles' school teacher! I think it's great to read to him, play games etc, and a lot of learning does take place in that way, but there has to be a line! And like you said, you still want to go places and do things. I love that you are teaching him the witch doctor song!
    Rita, I hope Wicket's situation is not too serious.
    Laurie, glad you found us! Welcome! We are a chatty bunch, don't feel that you need to reply to each of us, you would never get anything else done! lol Just jump into a conversation that sparks your interest, we do a wide variety of topics!
    Katla, I'm excited for you to get your nice blue leather chairs!
    Annie, congrats on getting the bike together!
    Lanette I am not a houseplant person - my old prayer plant keeps thriving, not sure how. Perhaps it's been praying for its own survival, lol. LOL!
    Michele, Vince is concerned he'll lose his walking partner??? WOW!! Sounds like quite the runaround to get your crafting supplies!

Well, I managed to get to the gym today, but not as early as I would have liked and then found out that the gal who usually teaches the class that I like Tues am's is on holiday. The guy who did it was okay, but since I know she's away for another week, I won't bother trying for that class next week, I'll just do my cardio in the weight room. After the gym I went to spend my HBC gift cards, I had $150 and wanted some new towels. Got to the store to find out that some of the stuff that I wanted was on sale and that it's seniors day, so got an extra 15% off some stuff! Got about $200 worth of towels for $136! Yay! And they are really nice towels, thick and thirsty.
    Got a bit more work done on my quilting project, Went to Fabricland yesterday and got the batting, that stuff is not cheap! It was on sale for 50% off and was still $22.50 per metre. Oh well, it is a good product and I want it to work well. Michaels is just next door, so I went and got more yarn too. Don't need any more, but I wanted some to make some pink baby blankets with. Found some stuff that will work well.
    Must go get supper going, cooking a roast for tonight, it's small so won't take more than 1.5 hours, but I don't want to be eating too late!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, on beautiful, sunny Vancouver Island

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Yes,Miles and I have a good time.. and I signed him him up for story time at the library on Wednesday mornings.he loves the library and the park..
    Alfie and I are chilling out and watching Fixer to Fabulous
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    My mother- in -law passed over fifteen years ago and I still have a peace lily from her funeral. I have three from my son's funeral. I have lost house plants over the years. By and large most of my plants keep going. I have a Janet Dracana that is 40 years old. I finally let go of a Hibicus I had for 20 years that I brought in and out of the house during the warmer months. It just got too big and hard to bring in. Peace Lily plants are not my favorite house plant. You have to be careful they do not dry out.

True the Peace Lily plants remind of the kind friends who supported and support me. Unfortunately I have too many plants, and it is hard for me to let them go. Sometimes they become one more thing to take care. I do need to find a balance. This growing season I will trim the Lily's to one and have the rest go outside this season and when it freezes their they go. The one I save will remind me of all who gave me one.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    Chicken with Peanut Sauce
    1 can coconut milk
    2/3 cup peanut butter
    2 TBS soy sauce
    2 TBS minced garlic or garlic powder
    2 TBS rice vinegar
    2 TBS minced candied ginger or powdered ginger
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 bags Costco (Kirkland) boneless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch cubes
    2 TBS corn starch
    2 TBS water
    2 TBS lime juice
    Jasmine rice as an accompaniment
    • Spread chicken in bottom of slow cooker.
    • Mix the top group of ingredients in a bowl until sort of smooth and pour over chicken.
    • Cook on low at least four hours and no more than seven.
    • 20 minutes before you are ready to serve, mix corn starch and water and mix into chicken along with the lime juice.
    • Cook for 20 minutes.
    • After all that cooking the thighs will easily shred in bite sized pieces
    • Serve with jasmine rice.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    I ate 1182 calories today for a deficit of 263. Yay! But I have to be careful. That extra mouthful of chocolate is no way to deal with stress. And I bought my mom some lactose free chocolate ice cream that is calling to me. Maybe I can afford a little on Thursday.

Meanwhile my new bike is awesome! I did ten minutes, plus my usual dumbbell routine. Yay! My knee is tired but not sore. I will find out tomorrow if it was too much.

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,841 Member
    Options
    I also know I will not send them a Peace Lily.

:heart: Margaret

Why not a peace lily?

Your job is to be the grandma not his school teacher. The best thing you can do for him is read to him and listen to him. Play with him and as others said let learning be fun cook with him, take him to parks, museums. Giving him experiences and love is the best way to prepare him for whatever school setting he ends up learning in. He needs a grandma not another teacher.

Yes!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Like Machka, I see food as a regular part of my life, not entertainment or recreation so I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it and making plans.

:) I eat breakfast while reading and responding to MFP and some other sites on the computer so I have to put my spoon down while I use the mouse or keyboard. I eat my supper while riding the exercise bike and watching TV so my eating is slowed by my attention being captured by what I'm watching. Since I prepare only the planned single portion for myself, there is no change that I will mindlessly overeat since when the bowl is empty, the meal is over.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I eat lunch while working at work. My husband and I do eat dinner at a table, but while watching TV. We eat the Australian way where my husband serves up a plate (or bowl) for each of us and that's dinner. It has its pros and cons. The con is if he makes a bit more than usual, those plates (or bowls) can be too much. But the main pro is that there are no leftovers.

I couldn't eat while riding my exercise bike ... I'd be spewing it everywhere! It's all I can do to breathe enough. :lol:

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Margaret, you are SO right! "Others tend to want you to be Okay often too soon." We found the same thing when Shawn died. I really hate the phrase "new normal" too. Please, the last thing we wanted was this to become normal. We were fighting for our lives right then. Just let us do us. We'll get around to figuring out the rest... someday. So, I'm really interested in the peace lily story though... there has to be a story there. I love mine. It's still blooming. In fact, it's blooming right now and reminds me of Shawn and the wonderful people who gave it to us.

Rosemarie, we're all so very interested in every aspect of your journey. We're here for you.

7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day... didn't have to worry about this too much today, it was a fairly peaceful day, thank God.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN

Me too! I got that a lot while my husband was lying in a coma for 3 weeks, and throughout his 100 days in hospital, and throughout the year or so that followed ... "This is your new normal". "You need to embrace your new normal".

No! This is not my new normal. Nothing about this is normal! And this is not where I will be a few weeks from now, months from now, years from now! I will not embrace this!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    My mother- in -law passed over fifteen years ago and I still have a peace lily from her funeral. I have three from my son's funeral. I have lost house plants over the years. By and large most of my plants keep going. I have a Janet Dracana that is 40 years old. I finally let go of a Hibicus I had for 20 years that I brought in and out of the house during the warmer months. It just got too big and hard to bring in. Peace Lily plants are not my favorite house plant. You have to be careful they do not dry out.

True the Peace Lily plants remind of the kind friends who supported and support me. Unfortunately I have too many plants, and it is hard for me to let them go. Sometimes they become one more thing to take care. I do need to find a balance. This growing season I will trim the Lily's to one and have the rest go outside this season and when it freezes their they go. The one I save will remind me of all who gave me one.

With my husband's accident situation, I would have welcomed peace lilies. I like them and they are hardy plants. I have purchased 2 and one usually lives at work with me, except I've been moving around so much at work in the past year.

Instead, I got orchids. And I have not figured out how to keep an orchid alive.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    peace lilies … I laughed at Margaret’s post because this seems to be a favorite funeral/sympathy plant. I received multiple peace lilies… several small and one humongous. They’re lovely … still blooming… but they’ve overtaken my living room. And like others mentioned, they were gifts to honor my son so I feel honor bound to keep them alive . Which is a challenge since I have a black thumb. And if they die … well, that’s just an ugly ending to a well-meaning gesture. And then I feel bad. Please don’t send me plants.
    Beth

They grow well outside too ... and get to quite a size. :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    I am doing this Happiness calendar for March. Feel free to copy or simply use it if you’d like!

March, 2023 Action for happiness.org
    RVRita
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.

Sky, sand and ocean
    15jmjq5nsagk.png

3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive.

Yesterday's 54 km bicycle ride and 5 km walk on the beach ...

4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words.

19nper8umeoo.png

5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them.

:heart:

6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels.

The only plans we had yesterday was a stroll through a neighbouring arty town to look at the shops.

7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.

I do box breathing at some point just about every day.

9. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food.
    :)
    11. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others.
    12. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.
    19. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee.
    20. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.
    21. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.
    22. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.
    23. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.
    24. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    25. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    26. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    27. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    28. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    29. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    30. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    31. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    32. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    33. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    34. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    35. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    36. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    37. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    38. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    39. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

Machka in Oz