WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Well its 11:15 pm my time
    Not working well without the melatonin..maybe will try just one and see how that works.

You would expect to struggle with sleep the first week or so after quitting cold turkey. They don't usually recommend quitting most medications cold turkey.

• Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    [quote="Machka9;c-47343520"
    M in Oz

I was wondering how yours was healing. I know your procedure was a little different than mine. The skin graft site is healing but still a bit sensitive. The spot on my nose doesn't look too bad but like you, it doesn't feel right.
    Have you heard how long it will take to feel "normal?"

Debbie[/quote]

A year, apparently.

That's from a couple other people I know who had the same or similar procedures. And from my doctor.

M in Oz[/quote]

Wow- I hadn't heard it was that long. I guess I will wait before contacting my doctor.
    I don't remember my doctor telling me how long it would be

[/quote]

It takes a long time for nerves to heal and for scars to settle and turn white.

My doctor has told me to keep massaging it with Vit E lotion.

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I need to find my happy. Always counting my blessings though. There are many and that puts me in a good frame of mind.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

What do you like doing? You have the time now to focus on you. You sing, I believe. Is there anywhere you can go to sing?

M in Oz

I haven't found a good fit yet, but I do get to play a certain piano in a shopping area that's fairly in tune. That is good for my hands. Don't know how many years I have to play so taking advantage of that. I might join a church as that is a great place to sing. Not too keen on the religious aspect, but I take away from a church setting a sense of peace. That's universal.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

A church would be good.

Are there any "glee clubs" or similar in your area?

• Machka9
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Monday 6 March!

It's March 6 and I've walked 23 km this month already.
    2b9dmbzap9rz.png

I've also cycled 64 km this month so far. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Sleeplessness seems to be in the air! Perhaps it's the spring and the sap rising. :p
    I had a terrible night. First, brain active (have to stop reading riveting books before bedtime), then legs aching, then indigestion :#. Then more brain activity. Finally dozed at 4 am, then awake at 6.20. Grrrrrr!
    I'm not worried about anything. Actually, right now I feel fine, and I've done all my exercises and written 480 words, but I know it will catch up with me.
    The riveting book is Queen Victoria, by Lucy Worsley. On offer on Amazon for 99p. :D I'm waiting for her biography of Agatha Christie to come down in price, so this was a good 'tideover'.
    I do wish my legs would stop aching at night. Some nights are worse than others. The doctors are useless. I believe it could be my autoimmune syndrome, or the haemachromatosis. Ibuprofen gel helps, but I would prefer not to have to use it.
    It doesn't bear any relation to how much exercise I've done, doesn't affect my strength or mobility, and it's mainly at night.

Otherwise, all is well, apart from needing to shed a few pounds! The good news is, I haven't put any weight on this year. The bad news is , I put on weight last year. Realistically I think I could lose 7 pounds before my cruise in June.
    Just need to get into my cruise clothes.

Love you loads, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Could the aching legs be your mattress?

Or perhaps being low in magnesium?

M in Oz

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,051 Member
    Options
    Heather do you think it could be Restless Legs? There's no real test for that, but it is helped by taking more iron. It's something about the iron not crossing the blood brain barrier.

I'm off to my friend's house for a special meditation session with humming. It's a weird hobby, I know.

Katla glad you are getting your stuff back. It's part of who we are.

Good to see the husbands walking Yay!

Heather here's a thought about making the view from your window more abstract: I like the contrast of the soft tones of the sunrise with the energetic linear stabs of the plant foliage. The building behind it is distracting to me, so you could just leave it out. The white framing adds plenty of structure. Just a thought.

More hugs to Rosemarie.

Annie in Delaware

Annie
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,713 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie- rainy and in the low 40s during the day and low 30s at night for Boston this weekend.. I'm in Connecticut, about an hour and a 1/2 south of there.safe travels..
    Horrible nights sleep..i took one melatonin at midnight but to much running through my mind..
    Miles has a cold so he didn't sleep ,he is napping now.
    I will go home after taking care of Homer and maybe taking a snooze.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    Debbie when I have 4 spots frozen off with Nitrogen a few months ago I used an aloe gel with some a drop or two of lavender essential oil to put on as they healed. Instead of two weeks it only took a week and you cannot see where the spots were. I learned this trick long ago from an article about a woman who suffered burns on her face and used lavender with a lotion on her burns and she had no scarring. I use a high quality essential oil.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ladies!

Rosemarie - you have been on my mind a LOT these past few days. Not sure what was up with your friend, who knows. It may take some time to let things settle. ;) In all areas. <3 (((HUGS))) <3

I'm sure your life is a whirlwind, and will be until things are done with your DH's memorial service, but eventually you'll come back to a quiet home. I'm not the person who posted the meme about self-pity but thank you, it's quite good. :)

We are here for you. I so much appreciate the gals here who listened to me and let me babble about all kinds of things. As mentioned there are many widows here now, some of us lost DH's after an extended stint of caregiving and watching them decline. Others of us lost our guys rapidly.

I made a deal with myself early on to count my many blessings as often as I could and I'd save regrets for another day. That's the way I'm wired, and so far it's worked out well. You will find your path and what works for you. <3

Have a safe flight, keep us in your pocket. <3

Weight gain - I've gained around 8# since DH died last May. I can still fit in my favorite jeans, but need to stop that trend. The fat in my middle is making my belly button hurt (scar tissue). I had been packing in a big supper so I wouldn't get hungry at night since I wanted to quit eating at least 2 hours before I go to bed. That's why the "how much food does a stomach hold" intrigued me. I did OK last night with after supper (I eat at 3) with a snack of peanut butter on a couple Triscuits, a piece of cheese, and some dried fruit. It was long enough after supper that my tummy wasn't stretched beyond a liter, lol. Trying very hard to put at least 12 hours between supper and breakfast and it's been hard the past few weeks for some reason. :#

Annie - I pulled out my copy of SWSY and I'm again inspired to pick up that strength training, and I'm starting back at beginner level. I looked up in my notes - when I started the program in 2017, I actually was using 1# dumbbells and 1# wrist weights as ankle weights! Of course they seemed light as a feather but as the author says, I used the time to get it right. This time I have 2# dumbbells and 2.5# around my ankles. Hoping that by taking it real slow again, my cranky knees and shoulders and elbows won't derail me.

Enjoy the meditation & humming! I've heard of humming for therapy and I recall it helped with calming. Also - here's another weird fact I picked up someplace - humming produces nitric oxide in the nose which helps kill pathogens. When I get more downtime I need to re-read "Breath". And remember to breathe through my nose when it's not plugged up. :D

Ginny - I was wondering how you'd like the new mattress. :) Sounds like it will be fine. Sorry about the sinuses.

If it's not too showery I'll get a walk in today, I'll check to see if my neighbor wants to join me. I've been doing a lot of "solo" walks lately, getting in a quick mile and just enjoying the scenery and reflecting on changes I see in the neighborhood. When I'm walking with her, I don't see anything - my attention is on our feet so I don't walk into her (she kind of weaves) or turning my head to look at her face. Which is OK sometimes but not the same as walking as fast as my longer legs will let me and getting my heart rate up a little.

OK ladies, that's a wrap. Make it a super week! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I had breakfast this morning & have a grumpy tummy. I wish I had a good book to read while in the bathroom. 😳
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,233 Member
    Options
    Annie - I'm already heavy on iron in the liver. :/ I eat loads of foods containing magnesium. :*

Machka - Last night I was in three different beds. No difference. It's not a joint thing.

When my cleaner arrived just now, I had a brainwave! I asked her to witness my Advance Decision to Refuse Treatment. So that's done. I just have to make sure DH understands (he doesn't have to agree) and it can be distributed to the relative parties.

Going to phone L at 4 for a chat. She read a eulogy at her ex's funeral last Friday.. Divorced in the 70s. I'm curious to hear how it all went.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I had breakfast this morning & have a grumpy tummy. I wish I had a good book to read while in the bathroom. 😳

I hope you are seeing a doctor about that! It has been going on a long time.