Come to Jesus Talk

3/17/2023 - 235 - I fell off the wagon big time. Problem is that I didn’t get back on it. The bad eating continued through Thanksgiving, Christmas and even through to the New Year. I’m weighing myself and checking in so that I can be accountable. I’m not feeling very happy with my body and have noticed depression and immobility (couch freeze) creeping in again. The house gets messy when I have couch freeze. There is something in me that just doesn’t have the will to get up and move. Its like literally telling me, “you can’t do that!” It could be a side effect of sugar. I really believe it causes depression. It’s strange how cookies, because they are sweet and pure bliss when being consumed seem so completely innocent. Sugar is killing me and I’m forfeiting my destiny by giving in to the seduction of it. Sure, it feels wonderful to curl up at my desk or on the couch with a blanket and drink cocoa and eat a cookie… but the result is my clothing getting more tight and my face looking puffy and aged, and lack of male attention, which makes me feel lonely and sad. I really want beautiful teeth too, but I need to brush them and quit bathing them in sugar. My destiny is to be a professional photographer and graphic designer for TCC. I will look the part. People will not only notice me, but they will respect me and follow my vision. In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Amen!
I begin again.

Replies

• ktiesue
    ktiesue Posts: 1 Member
    Hi PrettyAlaskan! You are such a hard worker! You will get there! And you know your destiny of being a photographer! Nothing can stop you. I agree with your prayer! It is done in Jesus name 🙏
  • nanerkay
    nanerkay Posts: 725 Member
    edited March 2023
    Hi PrettyAlaskan I agree with your pray and know if it's God's will and you work on your dreams they will come to pass. I also struggle with something telling me I can't get up and go. I started my Journey last September under advisory of my doctor. I fell last summer off my mother's porch and I hurt my knee and I'm still having problems with it. Then I fell in the fall at church and hurt my elbow and hip. They are better now. But I also struggle with depression and anxiety. I'm doing better with it now I still have days that I don't want get up and move. I tried to make myself and I pray about and ask God to help me to overcome laziness and gluttony everyday. In Jesus name I calm the victory 🙌 I'm praying for him to lead and direct your steps in name of the Father The Son and the Holy Ghost.
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Amen! Sending up prayers for victory in Jesus' Name 🙏
  • PrettyAlaskan
    PrettyAlaskan Posts: 130 Member
    Thank you so much all! God is with us! I swear sugar is the enemy. Did you know fructose is an appetite stimulant? Google it! Sugar literally makes our bodies incapable of sensing satiety.
  • nanerkay
    Sweeties are my down fall also I'm trying to get a handle on them. I know they Lord will help me if I try to control myself.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    regarding the 'there is no wagon' ~ found it interesting....

along the way, I stopped tieing all food/exercise together - it is a general approach here to do cico across a day or week or longer even - but for me, i would bargain away future cals with promises to eat less/exercise more in the future...

there is a little book called "hungry" (?) by Alan Zadoff (?) i read once - a collection of like 40 lessons learned while he lost 125+ lbs and kept it off. There were a few ideas in the book I found profoundly helpful including the idea that meals have a beginning, middle and end. When you are done, you are done and that meal is history. Each meal is a new/fresh opportunity to nourish your body. No guilt about what you ate before - no fret about future meals. Deal with the meal/snack when it is time to eat, choose foods that nourish your body at that time that you also find emotionally pleasurable - eat and enjoy it. Then, when it is over, stop eating and go do other things.

I think of it as de-linking and breaking the trigger chains... along with the on-going rationale to continue with excess eating/falling off the wagon episodes.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,808 Member
    Be thankful that you've recognized that being anxious and worried changes anything, and in fact makes it worse. Be grateful, love yourself and begin to accept that you can make a difference and you will. Cheers.
  • PrettyAlaskan
    Sugar is killing me and I’m forfeiting my destiny by giving in to the seduction of it.

Tad hyperbolic :*

And sugar doesn't make our bodies incapable of sensing satiety.

I eat plenty of things containing sugar and it doesn't stop me feeling full, same with most other people.
    Sugar is not my enemy - I enjoy lots of sweet foods - of course in moderation and within calorie allowance.

Satiety is very individual - best not to make blanket statements about 'our bodies' as if it applies to everyone.

I was clearly talking about myself lol, but if it works for you then I consider you very fortunate!

• nanerkay
    LifeChangz wrote: »

along the way, I stopped tieing all food/exercise together - it is a general approach here to do cico across a day or week or longer even - but for me, i would bargain away future cals with promises to eat less/exercise more in the future...

there is a little book called "hungry" (?) by Alan Zadoff (?) i read once - a collection of like 40 lessons learned while he lost 125+ lbs and kept it off. There were a few ideas in the book I found profoundly helpful including the idea that meals have a beginning, middle and end. When you are done, you are done and that meal is history. Each meal is a new/fresh opportunity to nourish your body. No guilt about what you ate before - no fret about future meals. Deal with the meal/snack when it is time to eat, choose foods that nourish your body at that time that you also find emotionally pleasurable - eat and enjoy it. Then, when it is over, stop eating and go do other things.

I think of it as de-linking and breaking the trigger chains... along with the on-going rationale to continue with excess eating/falling off the wagon episodes.

I may try this suggestion to do 1 meal at a time being thankful for that meal and wait until the next meal time to think about that meal. I know I'll still need to plan and prop meals. But I think of food way too much. A few years ago I went through a really hard place in my life and marriage. I got involved with someone I shouldn't have it almost cost me everything my marriage my Christianity and my family. When I cut the tides to him and had to fight to get my family and husband and to get in right standings with my Lord and Savior back I learned to take one day at a time and pray for mercy and grace. I think need to apply this to this to my eating problem. Thank you for sharing this sorry for the sharing my life struggle.
  • ragingbunny
    ragingbunny Posts: 2 Member
    The talk of depression, couch freeze, and negative self talks makes me wonder if a visit to your doctor is in order. It could be depression, low thyroid, low iron, hormone imbalance or a million other medical issues that cause depression like symptoms. You are awesome and amazing.
  • PrettyAlaskan
    nanerkay wrote: »

I may try this suggestion to do 1 meal at a time being thankful for that meal and wait until the next meal time to think about that meal. I know I'll still need to plan and prop meals. But I think of food way too much. A few years ago I went through a really hard place in my life and marriage. I got involved with someone I shouldn't have it almost cost me everything my marriage my Christianity and my family. When I cut the tides to him and had to fight to get my family and husband and to get in right standings with my Lord and Savior back I learned to take one day at a time and pray for mercy and grace. I think need to apply this to this to my eating problem. Thank you for sharing this sorry for the sharing my life struggle.

I’ve struggled with my marriage as well… it’s hard. I’m so glad that you got things sorted and hope that you have learned some important lessons. Hugs from afar <3
  • PrettyAlaskan
    The talk of depression, couch freeze, and negative self talks makes me wonder if a visit to your doctor is in order. It could be depression, low thyroid, low iron, hormone imbalance or a million other medical issues that cause depression like symptoms. You are awesome and amazing.

Thanks ♥️ It’s probably my dang thyroid got diagnosed with hashimotos and low vitamin D, and it doesn’t help to be in Alaska in darkness all winter for months at a time! I’ve been working with a counselor. Weirdly enough using CBD oil snaps me out of my funk and then I get up and active again.
  • PrettyAlaskan
    edited March 2023
    Sugar is killing me and I’m forfeiting my destiny by giving in to the seduction of it.

Tad hyperbolic :*

And sugar doesn't make our bodies incapable of sensing satiety.

I eat plenty of things containing sugar and it doesn't stop me feeling full, same with most other people.
    Sugar is not my enemy - I enjoy lots of sweet foods - of course in moderation and within calorie allowance.

Satiety is very individual - best not to make blanket statements about 'our bodies' as if it applies to everyone.

I was clearly talking about myself lol, but if it works for you then I consider you very fortunate!

No, not very fortunate, - very ordinary.

Like I said most people can eat things with sugar in them and it doesnt stop them feeling full.

you may be different, - but that was my point, these things are very individual.

This part wasnt clearly just about yourself " Did you know fructose is an appetite stimulant? Google it! Sugar literally makes our bodies incapable of sensing satiety. - which certainly comes across as an 'our bodies' and people in general, not just yourself.

what would we be googling if it was just about yourself?

I don’t mean to be a stickler, but I guess that I will be, because this is the phrase that you originally quoted, “Sugar is killing me and I’m forfeiting my destiny by giving in to the seduction of it”, which is about me.

Anyways, I’m not on here to debate and if I give out information that doesn’t apply to someone they can disregard it.

I do appreciate your response though!

To back up my claim of fructose being an appetite stimulant please visit https://www.nofructose.com/food-ideas/appetite-control/ at the bottom of the page there are several legitimate citations. Very very interesting read!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    edited March 2023
    Yes that was the phrase I said was a tad hyperbolic. That one is about you. I don't dispute that.

Your following post was the one that said " Did you know fructose is an appetite stimulant? Google it! Sugar literally makes our bodies incapable of sensing satiety."

- which certainly comes across as an 'our bodies' and people in general, not just yourself."

It was clearly not just about yourself.

And the article you showed is somebody's suggestions, along with some scientific information about hunger hormones.
    That isnt at all 'sugar literally making our bodies incapable of sensing satiety.'

People can disregard information - or they can politely point out it is incorrect.

• nanerkay
    edited March 2023
    nanerkay wrote: »

I’ve struggled with my marriage as well… it’s hard. I’m so glad that you got things sorted and hope that you have learned some important lessons. Hugs from afar <3

I have learned a lot and I've grown a lot in my Christianity. We still have issues at times