Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 218

Options

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Trying my best to catch up on posts. I am still back on March 26……

@caitlinnf84 if the multi-vitamin has iron in it, that might be the cause. Iron supplements make me sick, but iron fortified foods are fine for me.

@shmmm3 on your BBQ day, I actually find that the meat items are easier for me to assess and track than the “side”. In a restaurant, I often order two appetizers instead of an entrée, due to the sides.

onto page #13
  • CamandJarvis
    CamandJarvis Posts: 2,041 Member
    Options
    musicsax wrote: »
    As I prepare to go for my run, I realized that with the new "week" of training (Week 3 Day 1 today) the training has upped.

Warmup (I skip as I warmed up with bodyweight workout) 1.5 min run, 1.5 min walk, 3 min run, 3 min walk, 1.5 min run, 1.5 min walk, 3 min run, 5 min cooldown.

THREE MINUTES?!?!?! I was struggling with 1.5! I'm really dreading this already but I best get going so I don't miss my work call in a short bit. Ugh. No dogs as BF isn't awake to take one and I can't take both while running.

@CamandJarvis I did C25K a few years ago and found the schedule I was using (and others I looked at) progressed much to quickly for me. So I often repeated weeks or made my own in-between weeks. I also read a lot about half- and full marathon training, and one of well known marathon coaches (I think Hal Higden or something like that) encouraged the continuing use of intervals regardless of distance and experience. I came to love my “wuns” —and I had never liked running before — and I’m sure it was because I didn’t push too hard. I eventually ran several 5Ks, a 10k, and a half marathon using walk 1 minute, run 2-3 minutes, depending on how it was going. My times weren’t lightning fast, but I was in the top half of the pack for my age group, so respectable. All of which is to say don’t feel bound to someone else’s training schedule. Give your body and mind time to adjust to what YOU need.

Another thing I found REALLY helpful—I got an inexpensive interval timer that clipped on. There are probably apps, too, but I like the little dedicated gadget. It beeps when you’re due to change speeds so you don’t have to keep looking at your phone or watch. I also found the running easier when I didn’t know how many seconds I had left!

I’m planning to start “wunning” again, probably in late April. I’m building walking time and distance right now.

Anyway, good luck! It does get to be fun!

I also did the C25K a couple of years ago, it was during late 2020/1 I think? Definitely during Covid. A fellow poster in this challenge (sorry I can't remember who it was - my memory is not as good as it was - I put it down to age !!) said that she was going to do it and anyone was welcome to join her virtually. Rashly (cuz I hate running) I said I would, slept on it, realised that I had opened my mouth without thinking and decided I would tell her that I had changed my mind. Well, before I posted that change of heart I read her next day post saying how pleased she was I was doing it too and that we would be support for each other, how could I let her down then? So I started it; if you use the actual free App whilst doing each days work out, it tells you how long to walk for a warm up, how long each interval of walks and runs/jogs are and then talks you through the cool down. There were several days/weeks that I had to repeat because they were too hard/too much of a jump in running duration. But I did complete the 5K at the end, I was elated, but I still hated running, so once I'd achieved that 5K I stopped running!!

If that person who I was virtually running with is still in the group, I do not mean to offend you, it was truly an achievement for me, but also not one I wish to repeat lol!! :D

I'm with you! If it wasn't for the fact that FamWife, FamHub, and BF are all cheering me on, I probably wouldn't stick to it. Plus, this is the 2nd to last summer I get StepDaughter before she turns 18 and runs off into the sunset, and she's wanted, for several years now, to run a 5k with us. I need to get over myself and enjoy the fact that a teenage girl (16 at that!) wants to hang out with us crazy adults and do things together. It won't last forever so I'm taking advantage of it while I can.

I hate running, but I love the feeling of accomplishing it regardless. I try to sprinkle one about every year or so (usually do it a virtual run) just to keep up with it and keep things balanced. I didn't do any 5k in 2022 so I'm a bit overdue for it anyway.
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,832 Member
    Options
    @GirlOnTheRebound I had to
    Laugh at your meatloaf comment. For the first 38 years of our marriage I didn’t make it because my husband didn’t like it. THEN. I found out that he just didn’t like it with ketchup on it - something I had NEVER done in my life. So for the last 15 years we have enjoyed meatloaf! 👍👍❤️❤️
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I agree..no ketchup on meatloaf. But Dd mixes ketchup & brown sugar & puts that on top. That is good, even tho I don’t like ketchup.
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,832 Member
    Options
    @RetiredAndLovingIt OMG! Brown sugar! AND ketchup! Double whammy. This sounds like my late MIL! EVERYTHING had some form of sugar added! Meat shouldn’t be sweet. IMHO

I made a recipe my mom had found in the 1930’s for Mexican Meatballs. It was probably from Campbell’s soup since their tomato soup was the basis for the sauce. My MIL loved it and asked for the recipe. Some time later she proudly announced she had made my mom’s meatballs. I almost gagged at the first bite. She had added “a little” sugar - so much that I found them inedible! I never shared another recipe with her.