What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I did a hike. It was really nice. Fitbit reckons it was just over 12 miles with a little over 2,000 feet ascent.

The biggest hill takes about 20 minutes to go up. I'm not particularly fast downhill, but up hill I tend to be alright. Someone actually overtook me up this hill, which is fairly unusual. (He was a fell runner, though.)

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Woke up yesterday all excited for the week to come, as I'd get to step back into the weight room for the first time in 4 months! AND I was scheduled to work swing shifts (2-10pm), meaning I didn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to get my workout in.

But went to bed rather dejected, because a coworker had come down with Covid (he's young and healthy, he'll be fine) meaning I had to take his shifts...his MID shifts (10pm-6am). In the past, I refused to lift when working mids for fear of dropping weights on my head when tired. Bummer.

But this morning I woke up and decided, heck with that, I took last week off from the gym, the recovery program I found is light enough, I'm gonna lift anyway. And my first "workout" proved it won't be a problem, as the entire thing took only 15 minutes and wouldn't even qualify as a proper warmup before my layoff. Yes, things will ramp up in the weeks to come, but this first round was basically a joke.

BUT it was still lifting, so yay! It's designed to reintroduce lifting gradually, waking up dormant muscles and joints to the idea of lifting while preventing crippling DOMS. Good news is my elbow and grip felt great, zero pain. True, I didn't work back and pull anything, but still. My legs felt strong, like I never took time off, on account of using them doing cardio.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Saturday: PT session: shoulder press/row variations/lat pulldown as supersets. Felt good!
    Sunday: rest
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Did my lift this morning and then my first of two timed rows (machine rows) I have to do for the month for my indoor rowing club. This one seemed easy on the face but was sneaky hard. It was 700m, 70 seconds rest, 600 meters/60 seconds rest, all the way down to 100 meters. Others have said it's a good indication of where your 2K time is at (it's around 2 seconds faster pace), so this was a 1:59 average pace for me after a lift. That means I'm right around an 8 minute 2K. I'd like to get at least a few seconds faster on pace to get back in the 7:50s for a 2K by the end of the year.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Machine row, like recent usual, 3 x (1500m on, 2' row out/in or CD) for a total of 5,385m, averaging 2:24.2 pace at 20spm on the 1500m pieces, about half Z3, 5' Z4, remainder Z2 and below

Then stationary bike, also usual, 63' at 86W average, supposedly 15.4 miles, virtually all Z2.

Still doing physical therapy exercises, too - pain/discomfort almost entirely gone.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    (snip)

But this morning I woke up and decided, heck with that, I took last week off from the gym, the recovery program I found is light enough, I'm gonna lift anyway. And my first "workout" proved it won't be a problem, as the entire thing took only 15 minutes and wouldn't even qualify as a proper warmup before my layoff. Yes, things will ramp up in the weeks to come, but this first round was basically a joke.

Joke? Nah. On-ramp. Without on-ramps, there can be no highways. 😉
    BUT it was still lifting, so yay! It's designed to reintroduce lifting gradually, waking up dormant muscles and joints to the idea of lifting while preventing crippling DOMS. Good news is my elbow and grip felt great, zero pain. True, I didn't work back and pull anything, but still. My legs felt strong, like I never took time off, on account of using them doing cardio.

Oh, c'mon, @nossmf: Cardio only burns up your muscles and makes you skinny fat. All the bros say so! 😉🤣🤣🤣

Glad you're getting back into the routine you love, and pain free. Good stuff!
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Monday: 20ish minutes on a stationary bike, assisted pull-ups, hammer-stength row & chest press, core superset of plank + dead bugs, 30 secs each. The core superset used to be easy for me but I've neglected core for a while so I'll have to rectify that.
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Barre class today! Yoga tonight 💕
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Spring temperatures and a light breeze today, so two of us got outside to ride. We went for 23 miles in 1:24:00, a 16mph pace. We climbed a few hills and enjoyed riding through the woods. The spring peepers were out in force, making quite a pleasant din whenever we rode by a pond or vernal pool.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Snuck in some stationary bike before a social outing, 60' (103W) + 3' CD (79W). Apparently a little more energetic than average today, no idea why. In the last minute or minute and a half of the 60', I decided to push a bit and see if I could get over 24k (yes). I couldn't remotely keep it up for long, but I was able to push it up into 160s-180s watts in that tiny sprint at the end, which made me kind of happy. Ended up with a little over 24k on the main piece, about 16.4 miles including the CD; mostly Z2, but about 16' Z3, and a minute at the end Z4, peaking at 153bpm (which is exactly 220 - age, but I think only about 85% HRmax).
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Just an easy hour of cardio today again (same yesterday). 30 minutes on the Treadmill and 30 on the LateralX. All easy.

Did get a pleasant surprise on the scale. Been hovering between 203 and 204. Today, it was 201. Just a few more pounds until I'm back under 200. That's around 10 lbs in six weeks since I've buckeled down. Perhaps a bit too fast but it hasn't seemed hard this time.
  • AnnPT77
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Physical therapy appointment - some new exercises with bands, light weights, on the stability ball, etc. This guy likes to mix it up a lot. I think this is almost done - maybe one more appointment.

Stationary bike, 63' easy at 92W, 15.8 pseudo-miles, very nearly all Z2 except right at the start.

Schedule's kind of messed up this week, may not get 3 machine rows in alongside the stationary biking. We'll see. Resting HR seems to be down a beat or two recently (if I don't overeat :D ), which I hope is a sign of some kind of useful adaptation. Hard to tell.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Working a 12-hr graveyard shift took more out of me than expected, so I skipped lifting Tuesday. But my Wed/Thu graveyard shifts got cancelled, so I did get my lifts in yesterday and this morning. Yesterday had several pulling motions, which I had no trouble with at 50% weight.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Had a 6K (rowing machine) timed test to do today. Had a 2:15 average pace (pace in rowing is how long it takes you to row 500 meters), which isn't good, but to be expected for how little I've been rowing. HR hit 180 (93% of max) by the end.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Had a 6K (rowing machine) timed test to do today. Had a 2:15 average pace (pace in rowing is how long it takes you to row 500 meters), which isn't good, but to be expected for how little I've been rowing. HR hit 180 (93% of max) by the end.

@MikePfirrman, I hear that it's not what you ideally wanted, but the men's rankings are So. Freakin'. Competitive. - all the way up in the age groups. 93% is a great push, and you've been making excellent progress. I hope you can feel good about that!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Didn't get in a workout yesterday, as life got in the way. This morning I started with a 45 session with my trainer at the gym. Got out for an easy 35 minute trail run/walk tonight.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I went for about a 2.5 mile walk with a friend today, trivial, but felt . . . ennui? fatigue? . . . after, so I'm skipping any further formal workout today, and likely tomorrow (osteopathic manipulation appointment in the AM, delayed this time because he got covid (!), and I don't like to work out after those appointments).

I'll plan - fingers crossed - to be re-energized on Saturday.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    My usual Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes for 10.06 miles zones 2, 3 & 4 today.