What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I went to SRT training in Reigate. It was good; I got quite a few ascents and descents in; a few rebelays; and one ascent to descent changeover.

The changeover was the hardest; it was pretty straightforward to switch onto short cowstail and the descender; however getting the pressure off the cowstail so I could unattach it took a while. I eventually figured it out:
    I attached the ascender again.
    I stood up in the footloop and moved the descender up so it would eventually take the strain.
    I hard locked the descender.
    I then stood up again which let me remove the cowstails.
    I laid back, which moved the pressure onto the descender, so I could unattach the ascender and get on my way.)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Deadlift 3x5
    Pulldown 3x8
    Preacher Curl 3x8

Weight is enough to feel like an actual workout, albeit short. Really need to develop lifting-appropriate calluses soon, if I'm going to continue lifting without gloves...those deadlifts hurt, and I'm still not up to the weights used pre-injury. The good news is my grip and elbow continue to be up to the task of lifting the heavier pull weights, no pain or weakness so far.
  • drmwc
    Options
    Tuesday
    Climbing, 2.25 hours.
    I went back to VauxWest, where I had the poor session on Saturday. This session was decent, I was climbing way better. I've not checked the grades on Griptonite (an app which gives individual grades) yet, but I got 4 in the v3-v5 bucket.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Hour elliptical - 5.75 miles, 800 calories

Was really tough getting up this morning...stayed up past midnight helping my wife finish her college homework while fighting a coughing start of a cold, so when the alarm blared at 4:45 this morning I was not amused. Almost killed the alarm and rolled over for sleep, but I'd skipped enough cardio sessions the last few weeks already, so forced myself to get up and get moving.

Turns out I was glad I went. Felt good doing the cardio (don't tell my lifting buddies!), and the combination of time away, lack of sleep and fighting a cold barely touched my performance. But the best part: unlike before when I'd do cardio and NOT eat the calories back while I tried to lose fat, I'm now in a gain muscle phase, so I get to eat back every blissful calorie. My day's menu already had my protein needs met, so on the way to work I stopped for donuts to eat during my commute, 100% guilt free. Ah, bliss!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Did an easy 35 minute run/walk last night. 4:1 jog/walk ratio along a river trail.
    Today's swim session was 1800 yds, which included a warm up followed by a main set of 4x100's on 12sec recovery, and finally 2 x 400yd set.
  • nossmf
    Options
    OHP 3x5
    Incline Bench Press 3x8
    DB Lateral Raise 3x8

Started putting together the routine I'm gonna follow after I get done with my "return to lifting" regimen, thought I may try a PHUL workout. Being thorough, I googled PHUL workouts, and opened a half dozen routines from various sources to compare against one another. Turns out, they all were identical! One might say "10-12 reps" while another reversed order of a couple exercises, but by and large they were all the exact same. I can understand how logical approach can lead you to be similar to somebody else's version, but these were TOO similar, made me believe most/all were simply copycats from somebody else rather than actually putting forth the mental sweat to create their own version.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Squat 3x5x80%
    Bench 5x70%, 3x80%, 1x90%
    Preacher Curl 3x8,6,4,1

Although the original plan was for 4 weeks (16 sessions) of gradual return to lifting, I'm declaring today the final day. I felt strong, strong enough to hit my pre-injury weights on bench and actually set a lifetime PR on preacher curl. Starting Monday, I will begin my new regular routine with full sets/reps volume on a variety of exercises. The one concession I will make to recovery is that every weight will start at 75% of pre-injury levels. I expect the first few weeks to include regular increases in weights each week.
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    Virtual cycling through Germany on Youtube.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Continuing slug-ness. Skipped any kind of workout for several days. (😬)

Friday, slow walk with a friend (who sets the pace and distance) for a little over 2 miles. Later, the standard hour of stationary bike, easy at 90W/Z2.

Today, Saturday, another walk, different friend (who also sets pace/distance), about 3 miles, easy pace. That'll probably be it for today . . . I'm still slugging.

Man, I want the outdoor bike weather to come back, and (especially) the water to warm up enough to enable routine rowing. On a lot of threads, I talk about how I don't rely on motivation (instead rely on fun). Sometimes I wish motivation were more in my wheelhouse, honestly.

Overall, I think I was somewhat more consistent than usual with workouts this Winter, so I guess I'll feel good about that.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

(snip)

Today, Saturday, another walk, different friend (who also sets pace/distance), about 3 miles, easy pace. That'll probably be it for today . . . I'm still slugging.

(snip)

Hmm, nah. Later, I did an hour of stationary bike (93W), finishing after midnight, then some shoulder PT stuff after.

Today, Sunday, did the usual rest day (other than some mobility exercises) even though I don't really need and for sure haven't earned a rest day. 🤷‍♀️
  • Luv2MntHike
    Luv2MntHike Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are impressive! Especially the cave workout I am clostrophobic so I would never be able to do that one. I am following a program called the body project I just started back last week after a knee injury so I am doing their foundations program. It's great because it's all low impact with seated options it really gets the heart rate up.
  • nossmf
    Options
    I'm back, baby! Today was my first full lifting routine in almost five months, and it felt fantastic! I've decided for the next few months to follow a PHUL script, and today was Upper Power day.

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 3x5
    DB OHP <superset> DB Shrugs 3x8
    Cable Pushdown <superset> Preacher Curl 3x8

All weights were 20-30% lower than last time I did them, but at least the volume was where I want it to be. Finished just a tick under an hour, will look to add some ab work at the end next week. Right now I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if there's any lingering DOMS, but I don't expect any. Left feeling like I could've done several more reps on each set, no pain or stiffness anywhere.
  • AnnPT77
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Rowing machine, 3 x (1500m on, 2' off/CD), 2:23.9 pace/21 spm on the pieces, mostly Z3/Z4 but a little bit more Z3 than Z4.

Immediately after, 60'+3' stationary bike, 90W average, Z2.

Didn't start any of that until 10PM, finished about midnight, why am I such an idiot? :D (Rhetorical question, don't tell me the answer!)
  • nossmf
    Options
    Deadlift 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 3x5
    One Leg Press 3x10
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Calf Extensions 4x12

Leg Power day in the weight room was a success. Weights were flying easily enough to not unduly tax my system, but were heavy enough to actually require effort...in other words, right in the zone I was looking to create. Other than the one-leg press, which was heavier than intended for this phase of rehab. Not heavy enough to be an issue, but heavier than wanted just yet. But between yesterday and today, that's one questionable starting weight out of 13 exercises, a more than acceptable ratio.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Didn't start any of that until 10PM, finished about midnight, why am I such an idiot? :D (Rhetorical question, don't tell me the answer!)

I won't answer the question directly, but how about pointing out you've mentioned multiple times the last couple weeks about exercising until/after midnight. As a morning person myself, this completely baffles me, but you do you, eh?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

I won't answer the question directly, but how about pointing out you've mentioned multiple times the last couple weeks about exercising until/after midnight. As a morning person myself, this completely baffles me, but you do you, eh?

In Winter, it's pretty normal for me to be up until 2 or 3 AM, as a natural night owl. I sleep until around 10AM, usually. But I think starting the workouts that late isn't ideal for sleep quality, and sleep quality is an issue for me even without that. Starting a workout maybe 9PM-ish is normal and completely OK. I need to stay in that kind of range (or earlier), and fussing about it is - I guess - part of self-motivating in that direction. I don't prefer morning workouts, to say the least, but do them when rowing in summer because that's when the best conditions are.
  • drmwc
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I went climbing after work. I was actually in the office. I chose to use a gym about three miles walk from the office; so I ended up on 11 miles walk total for the day. The session was 3.5 hours; I left when the gym threw me out. I could barely walk at this point, so I was close to calling it a day myself.

It was a very good session. A young person kept on telling me I had the wrong route on a particular climb (I was doing an unlikely looking dyno to a thumb catch; he felt it was better statically.) I got my beta to work; the static route looked long and hard to me. I got quite a few v4s; and close but no cigar on a v5.