The Carb Struggle

Options
Hey everyone, i’m a 19 y/o male, 160 lbs, 5’11 n im struggling to figure out what my macros should be, i started almost exactly 3 months ago where i was abt 195 lbs and ate like total shii, never exercised. now i lift weights and run a 3 mile trail 6 days a week, i work, so i’m fairly active, i’ve lost abt 35lbs. and everything but my stomach is looking great. it’s def gotten smaller but to burn the rest of that fat and build muscle at the same time what should my macros be? i eat a lot of protein at least my body weight so mainly how many grams of carbs should i have daily?? i figured i’d limit it as much as possible so basically have been on keto without even realizing bc i thought keto was close to none. Eating is quite the chore now because i am a picky eater and i eat the same stuff all the time, have probably rambled to much to just ask basically how many grams of fat/carbs should i have daily?😭 also any tips for things to munch on, or meals, would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Many people pick a protein minimum to meet (often 1 gram per pound of lean body mass) and then fill in the rest of their calories with whatever carbs and fats they want to.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    5'11" and 160 is lean and for me too lean but I'm not 19. I suspect it's mostly genetics at that weight. Your probably going to have to push heavier weights for a while, eat more, gain some weight before your 6 pack shows up for the party, but that's just a guess.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,813 Member
    Options
    Get in your protein and about .4 grams of fats per lb of lean body weight. Fill the rest up with whatever you want. If your stomach area still has fat that needs to be dieted off at some point however guys with your stats will be better off adding muscle overall for now. Try eating at maintenance and get on a good training program or even a slight surplus of calories to speed up the muscle gain.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A few things, gaining muscle is more about your resistance training program than you diet. Yes, diet plays a small roles (particularly protein) . So what is your lifting routine. Is it a structured program or randomness? If you are keto, add some carbs. It will improve your training and support muscle gain. And why do you workout so much. You need some recovery in there. And lastly, we all need to go much lower to get ripped looking. I am 10 lbs lower than my original goal and still have more to go to get a six pack. And I am 5'10 at 163.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A few things, gaining muscle is more about your resistance training program than you diet. Yes, diet plays a small roles (particularly protein) . So what is your lifting routine. Is it a structured program or randomness? If you are keto, add some carbs. It will improve your training and support muscle gain. And why do you workout so much. You need some recovery in there. And lastly, we all need to go much lower to get ripped looking. I am 10 lbs lower than my original goal and still have more to go to get a six pack. And I am 5'10 at 163.
    having to go super low bodyfat to see abs can mean your abs need more development.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    having to go super low bodyfat to see abs can mean your abs need more development.

How do you figure, just curious. I generally don't work abs very much specifically and I've had visible abs previously when my body fat was low enough, unfortunately I have a little work to do to make that happen, but I'm working on it. Cheers
  • tomcustombuilder
    edited April 2023
    Options

How do you figure, just curious. I generally don't work abs very much specifically and I've had visible abs previously when my body fat was low enough, unfortunately I have a little work to do to make that happen, but I'm working on it. Cheers
    you’re one of the lucky ones. It’s genetics for the most part. Some guys have a naturally more developed ab structure and some (like me) don’t. The more natural development, the less direct work needed.

Sometimes it only takes compound movements and sometimes it take compounds plus direct work. Sometimes a lot of direct work. I had a buddy that never trained at all and had fabulous abs but he had great genetics in that regard so everybody falls somewhere between not needing to train abs to having to train abs A LOT.

It’s a lot like calves, some guys have big ones naturally and some need to train the hell out of em to have any kind of development.

• CalisthenicsTraining
    CalisthenicsTraining Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your abs will be seen in regards to your body fat %. Food I would recommend is chicken and tuna. Tuna doesn’t have carbs and a tin has around 25 g of protein. Try doing cardio, push ups , body weight training. It will come with time, be consistent
  • CalisthenicsTraining
    Options
    Your abs will be seen in regards to your body fat %. Food I would recommend is chicken and tuna. Tuna doesn’t have carbs and a tin has around 25 g of protein. Try doing cardio, push ups , body weight training. It will come with time, be consistent
    carbs have nothing to do with getting or not getting abs.

If that was correct you still don’t get as much for your calories with carbs.

• tomcustombuilder
    Options

lol, ok…

• Mharrington617
    Mharrington617 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Glad you’re on your fitness grind, the first thing I wanna say is be patient! 3 months in is nothing, especially since fitness is a lifelong goal. I’m 5’11” and 200 lbs. I’m not a Greek god in terms of body composition but I’m getting closer everyday. My macros are 40% protein 25% carbs and 35% fats. I focus heavily on healthy fats. Don’t be afraid of whole eggs and monounsaturated fats are your friend. I’ve had good success with this, another thing you may want to consider is how much you want to weigh, not how much you do weigh, and scale protein intake accordingly. Another thing is make sure you are eating carbs, whole wheats, sweet potato, green vegetables etc. stay away from simple carbs but do not be afraid to push to 30% carbs if you’re focus is on complex carbs, this will actually assist you in getting to lower body fat. Your body will keep extra fat if it is deficient so you want to find the right amount of everything and that takes time! Hope this helps!
  • CalisthenicsTraining
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Eat your fruits and veggies. They're good for you. Lots of the ones that are good for you are high in carbs. Also high in micronutrients, fiber, beneficial phytochemicals, prebiotics . . . .

He said he was doing keto and on a high protein diet. I told him 2 options which are low carbs and high protein and that visual abs are to do with body fat. No problem here.

• psuLemon
    Options

Nah, that isn't it. I have pretty well developed abs but crappy fat distribution. Literally all of my fat sits in my spare tire area.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options

Nah, that isn't it. I have pretty well developed abs but crappy fat distribution. Literally all of my fat sits in my spare tire area.

Psu, I don't think I've ever said how much I appreciate your perspective, sometimes even hope you'll weigh in - as you often do - on particular relevant threads where I'm hesitant to @ you. Your knowledge and experience has been so helpful to me. This post, among others: Real. You're a peach. ;)

• Jamesever
    Jamesever Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is a good thread of posts to skim through.

I remember a jacuzzi conversation at the YMCA years ago with a fit woman who mentioned how her abs come and go after or before meals. She adamantly stated that underneath the layer of fat, I would notice nice abs hiding.

Fast-forward after that chat, I took a year off and played pickup basketball, ran on the treadmill (<3 miles for 3 times a week) and lifted (dips, bench press, lat pull-downs 🥰) and ended up getting my best body to date (dexa scan 12.2% bodyfat during a health study I joined called CARDIA Study).

When I returned from the best summer vacation ever in Europe, I remember the compliment in the airport.

"I can tell you have a nice waist under that blazer."

My numbers and choices then:

Cholesterol: 149

hdl: 70 ldl: 69 tri: 50

height: 6' weight: 188 waist: 34 age: 44

Foods: Some midnight street-vender food in Poland; tuna fish sandwiches and lots of chocolate and peanuts in Leuven, Belgium.

My numbers and choices now:

steps: 20k average a month (rest on Saturdays) and mainly pushups, lunges, and resistance bands

weight: 171 waist: 34 age: 60s

Organic plant-based foods (10% protein 15% fat 75% carbs)

Cholesterol: 179 (the numbers rarely lie - harder cardio required)

ldl - 89 hdl - 59 tri - 112

Age 18 numbers:

height: 6' weight: 130s. cavities: many

fitness routine: whatever the coaches dictated for each season (football, basketball, and track)

Food choices: The food of the gods

Burger King, Kap'n Krunch, brownies, and whatever the adults cooked and called a meal back then (spaghetti, chili, meatloaf etc.)

You'll figure out somehow the best routines for you.

James (also a PSU alumni 😉)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Psu, I don't think I've ever said how much I appreciate your perspective, sometimes even hope you'll weigh in - as you often do - on particular relevant threads where I'm hesitant to @ you. Your knowledge and experience has been so helpful to me. This post, among others: Real. You're a peach. ;)

Thanks Ann. Feel free to always @ me.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Jamesever wrote: »

I remember a jacuzzi conversation at the YMCA years ago with a fit woman who mentioned how her abs come and go after or before meals. She adamantly stated that underneath the layer of fat, I would notice nice abs hiding.

Fast-forward after that chat, I took a year off and played pickup basketball, ran on the treadmill (<3 miles for 3 times a week) and lifted (dips, bench press, lat pull-downs 🥰) and ended up getting my best body to date (dexa scan 12.2% bodyfat during a health study I joined called CARDIA Study).

When I returned from the best summer vacation ever in Europe, I remember the compliment in the airport.

Foods: Some midnight street-vender food in Poland; tuna fish sandwiches and lots of chocolate and peanuts in Leuven, Belgium.

steps: 20k average a month (rest on Saturdays) and mainly pushups, lunges, and resistance bands

Age 18 numbers:

fitness routine: whatever the coaches dictated for each season (football, basketball, and track)

Burger King, Kap'n Krunch, brownies, and whatever the adults cooked and called a meal back then (spaghetti, chili, meatloaf etc.)

Out of curiosity, why is your protein so low?
  • Jamesever
    Jamesever Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Jamesever wrote: »

Age 18 numbers:

Out of curiosity, why is your protein so low?

Good question.

I burn over a thousand calories each day with the 20k steps, so I have to eat 3000+ calories just to maintain normal weight. Those calories push all my numbers well beyong the average in terms of grams. I rarely look at the percentages. Here's a closer look at the numbers:

Fiber: 85+ grams
    Protein: 85 - 105 grams
    Fat: 50 - 60 grams

My nutritionist suggested upping protein to maintain muscle a few years ago, so I added organic more oatmeal, green peas, more popcorn, and black beans. My body type, whatever it's called, is the kind that can appears naturally fit with the least amount of effort (ectomorph, mesomorph, or that other kind?).

More protein = 💪🏾

Currently, I consider my body trending more towards the Tour de France athletes than any other sporting type. Lean.

What insights crossed your mind?

Always opportunity improvement (ofi)