2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Jamesever wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    This is a good thread of posts to skim through.

I remember a jacuzzi conversation at the YMCA years ago with a fit woman who mentioned how her abs come and go after or before meals. She adamantly stated that underneath the layer of fat, I would notice nice abs hiding.

Fast-forward after that chat, I took a year off and played pickup basketball, ran on the treadmill (<3 miles for 3 times a week) and lifted (dips, bench press, lat pull-downs 🥰) and ended up getting my best body to date (dexa scan 12.2% bodyfat during a health study I joined called CARDIA Study).

When I returned from the best summer vacation ever in Europe, I remember the compliment in the airport.

"I can tell you have a nice waist under that blazer."

My numbers and choices then:

Cholesterol: 149

hdl: 70 ldl: 69 tri: 50

height: 6' weight: 188 waist: 34 age: 44

Foods: Some midnight street-vender food in Poland; tuna fish sandwiches and lots of chocolate and peanuts in Leuven, Belgium.

My numbers and choices now:

steps: 20k average a month (rest on Saturdays) and mainly pushups, lunges, and resistance bands

weight: 171 waist: 34 age: 60s

Organic plant-based foods (10% protein 15% fat 75% carbs)

Cholesterol: 179 (the numbers rarely lie - harder cardio required)

ldl - 89 hdl - 59 tri - 112

Age 18 numbers:

height: 6' weight: 130s. cavities: many

fitness routine: whatever the coaches dictated for each season (football, basketball, and track)

Food choices: The food of the gods

Burger King, Kap'n Krunch, brownies, and whatever the adults cooked and called a meal back then (spaghetti, chili, meatloaf etc.)

You'll figure out somehow the best routines for you.

James (also a PSU alumni 😉)

Out of curiosity, why is your protein so low?

Good question.

I burn over a thousand calories each day with the 20k steps, so I have to eat 3000+ calories just to maintain normal weight. Those calories push all my numbers well beyong the average in terms of grams. I rarely look at the percentages. Here's a closer look at the numbers:

Fiber: 85+ grams
    Protein: 85 - 105 grams
    Fat: 50 - 60 grams

My nutritionist suggested upping protein to maintain muscle a few years ago, so I added organic more oatmeal, green peas, more popcorn, and black beans. My body type, whatever it's called, is the kind that can appears naturally fit with the least amount of effort (ectomorph, mesomorph, or that other kind?).

More protein = 💪🏾

Currently, I consider my body trending more towards the Tour de France athletes than any other sporting type. Lean.

What insights crossed your mind?

Always opportunity improvement (ofi)

Body types is a myth, so I wouldn't put much faith in that. Those numbers are still fairly low for a male, and it's worse on a vegan diet because plant based proteins dont have high amounts of L-Leucine, and the other EAA for muscle protein synthesis. That and your extremely high activity is why you actually underweight by bmi standards and have low overall mass.

If you had goals of improving body composition, you would want protein probably 130-150 and a well structured lifting routine and more calories and/or less walking (if possible). If you are a student at PSU (we are!!), then less walking might not be possible during the school year.

• Jamesever
    Jamesever Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I remember a jacuzzi conversation at the YMCA years ago with a fit woman who mentioned how her abs come and go after or before meals. She adamantly stated that underneath the layer of fat, I would notice nice abs hiding.

Fast-forward after that chat, I took a year off and played pickup basketball, ran on the treadmill (<3 miles for 3 times a week) and lifted (dips, bench press, lat pull-downs 🥰) and ended up getting my best body to date (dexa scan 12.2% bodyfat during a health study I joined called CARDIA Study).

When I returned from the best summer vacation ever in Europe, I remember the compliment in the airport.

Foods: Some midnight street-vender food in Poland; tuna fish sandwiches and lots of chocolate and peanuts in Leuven, Belgium.

steps: 20k average a month (rest on Saturdays) and mainly pushups, lunges, and resistance bands

Age 18 numbers:

fitness routine: whatever the coaches dictated for each season (football, basketball, and track)

Burger King, Kap'n Krunch, brownies, and whatever the adults cooked and called a meal back then (spaghetti, chili, meatloaf etc.)

Good question.

I burn over a thousand calories each day with the 20k steps, so I have to eat 3000+ calories just to maintain normal weight. Those calories push all my numbers well beyong the average in terms of grams. I rarely look at the percentages. Here's a closer look at the numbers:

My nutritionist suggested upping protein to maintain muscle a few years ago, so I added organic more oatmeal, green peas, more popcorn, and black beans. My body type, whatever it's called, is the kind that can appears naturally fit with the least amount of effort (ectomorph, mesomorph, or that other kind?).

More protein = 💪🏾

Currently, I consider my body trending more towards the Tour de France athletes than any other sporting type. Lean.

Body types is a myth, so I wouldn't put much faith in that. Those numbers are still fairly low for a male, and it's worse on a vegan diet because plant based proteins dont have high amounts of L-Leucine, and the other EAA for muscle protein synthesis. That and your extremely high activity is why you actually underweight by bmi standards and have low overall mass.

If you had goals of improving body composition, you would want protein probably 130-150 and a well structured lifting routine and more calories and/or less walking (if possible). If you are a student at PSU (we are!!), then less walking might not be possible during the school year.

Penn State. I finished grad school years ago.

As for protein, I'm a bit leary of asking the kidneys to do more work processing the added protein, although plant-based protein, from what I've gathered, seems much better than the other kind.

In terms of goals around better body composition, I'm rather comfortable with the flat abs and fit physique that can move easily in the routines I've established in life: 45+ push-ups, lunges, squats, and jumping jacks in addition to resistance bands for keeping the minor muscles moving.

The most challenging part for me remains getting my willpower to sweat out a 6:35 mile like I did two years ago to see how fast I could run it. 🏃🏾‍♂️ More cardio = higher hdl, lower triglycerides, and a better overall cholesterol reading nearing 150 when I up the intensity or even take one of those weekly aerobics classes.

My long-term goal includes maintaining or getting total cholesterol level as close as possible to 150 (currently 179) or even a few points lower.

Fyi - my bmi (by online calculators) usually show in the green normal reading for 6' and 171 lbs and well over 50. I'm a good ways from underweight based solely on the numbers.

My 9th grade year of playing football, I weighed in at: 4' 11" 99 lbs 😉

• psuLemon
    Options

Age 18 numbers:

Good question.

More protein = 💪🏾

As for protein, I'm a bit leary of asking the kidneys to do more work processing the added protein, although plant-based protein, from what I've gathered, seems much better than the other kind.

In terms of goals around better body composition, I'm rather comfortable with the flat abs and fit physique that can move easily in the routines I've established in life: 45+ push-ups, lunges, squats, and jumping jacks in addition to resistance bands for keeping the minor muscles moving.

The most challenging part for me remains getting my willpower to sweat out a 6:35 mile like I did two years ago to see how fast I could run it. 🏃🏾‍♂️ More cardio = higher hdl, lower triglycerides, and a better overall cholesterol reading nearing 150 when I up the intensity or even take one of those weekly aerobics classes.

My long-term goal includes maintaining or getting total cholesterol level as close as possible to 150 (currently 179) or even a few points lower.

Fyi - my bmi (by online calculators) usually show in the green normal reading for 6' and 171 lbs and well over 50. I'm a good ways from underweight based solely on the numbers.

I thought your weight was 130, but that was your weight at 18 years old. At 170 ish, you are fine.

Second, protein being hard on your kidneys is a huge myth, especially in the plant based community. It's predicated that urea is produced, which is a natural byproduct. You can eat 300g of protein a day and it be fine pending you don't have kidney disease.

In terms of quality, meat/dairy/eggs > plant based protein. Both in quality and completeness. Semantics but not necessarily relevant to our discussion.

Cholesterol is a poor number to guage your metabolic health by. High HDL will drive that number up. The numbers that are more important is LDL (especially if it's actually measured), triglycerides, CRP, and A1C. Mendelian randomization studies particularly focus on the lifetime exposure of LDL and all cause mortality.

Ultimate, the biggest consideration is to make sure you have kind of resistance training. As people age, muscle loss is more prevalent which can lead to weakness. And one of the biggest killers of older people is falls (not that you are old). Even at 40, I focus on recovery training and flexibility to make up for the mistakes of the past, especially listening to too many bro's saying stretching/flexibility can negativity impact training. What they were seeing was the studies were based on 30 minutes of stretching prelifting.

• Jamesever
    Options

Age 18 numbers:

Good question.

More protein = 💪🏾

I thought your weight was 130, but that was your weight at 18 years old. At 170 ish, you are fine.

Second, protein being hard on your kidneys is a huge myth, especially in the plant based community. It's predicated that urea is produced, which is a natural byproduct. You can eat 300g of protein a day and it be fine pending you don't have kidney disease.

In terms of quality, meat/dairy/eggs > plant based protein. Both in quality and completeness. Semantics but not necessarily relevant to our discussion.

Cholesterol is a poor number to guage your metabolic health by. High HDL will drive that number up. The numbers that are more important is LDL (especially if it's actually measured), triglycerides, CRP, and A1C. Mendelian randomization studies particularly focus on the lifetime exposure of LDL and all cause mortality.

Ultimate, the biggest consideration is to make sure you have kind of resistance training. As people age, muscle loss is more prevalent which can lead to weakness. And one of the biggest killers of older people is falls (not that you are old). Even at 40, I focus on recovery training and flexibility to make up for the mistakes of the past, especially listening to too many bro's saying stretching/flexibility can negativity impact training. What they were seeing was the studies were based on 30 minutes of stretching prelifting.

Here's my fit tip for a good guage on the actual age of the body (see WorldFitnessLevel link, if viewable)

https://www.worldfitnesslevel.org/#/start

You probably have already heard of VO2 and that treadmill test. I recently, well, actually two or three years ago, left a soak in the sauna and drove straight to the ER after feeling a pain along the side of my right pectoral muscle.

The doctor ran a lot of test, including blood tests, and the next day, I returned to do that special treadmill test that can provide insight into vascular health: I maxed it to where the physician stopped the test after seeing how well my body was body (VO2 around 50, which eqates to around mid-to-late thirties for aging).

As for protein myths, things good for kidneys, and better for my body, I trust the test results in numbers, in the mirror in the morning, and in how I'm feeling every hour.

At 55, I pursued my favorite hobbies instead of living just for earning money (some call it retirement): health, happiness, and doing whatever goes for (w)hol(l)y good for mind and body. I do a lot of writing, walking, and worshipping the good things for reading.

Just wondering about something—do you have full access to university and clinical studies? (quite expensive unless you’re a student, teacher, or professor) or do you use Google Scholar or similar (NIH etc.) online abstracts to parse medical information?

If you're a physician, well, you pretty much have everything you need for guidance.

The suggestion about cholesterol deserves reading a little more into what happened in studies for those with natural cholesterol levels under 150 (without statins). Lifesaving information, at least for me.

• psuLemon
    Options

Age 18 numbers:

Good question.

More protein = 💪🏾

Here's my fit tip for a good guage on the actual age of the body (see WorldFitnessLevel link, if viewable)

You probably have already heard of VO2 and that treadmill test. I recently, well, actually two or three years ago, left a soak in the sauna and drove straight to the ER after feeling a pain along the side of my right pectoral muscle.

The doctor ran a lot of test, including blood tests, and the next day, I returned to do that special treadmill test that can provide insight into vascular health: I maxed it to where the physician stopped the test after seeing how well my body was body (VO2 around 50, which eqates to around mid-to-late thirties for aging).

As for protein myths, things good for kidneys, and better for my body, I trust the test results in numbers, in the mirror in the morning, and in how I'm feeling every hour.

At 55, I pursued my favorite hobbies instead of living just for earning money (some call it retirement): health, happiness, and doing whatever goes for (w)hol(l)y good for mind and body. I do a lot of writing, walking, and worshipping the good things for reading.

Just wondering about something—do you have full access to university and clinical studies? (quite expensive unless you’re a student, teacher, or professor) or do you use Google Scholar or similar (NIH etc.) online abstracts to parse medical information?

If you're a physician, well, you pretty much have everything you need for guidance.

The suggestion about cholesterol deserves reading a little more into what happened in studies for those with natural cholesterol levels under 150 (without statins). Lifesaving information, at least for me.

From a learning and education perspective, I have done a lot of google scholar and I have followed the top two protein metabolism researchers in the worlds (Dr. Stuart Phillips and Dr. Brad Schoenfeld) for the past 15 years. They are the leading experts in protein research and most cited. Ultimately, the recommendations I provide are predicted on their research, but also other researchers in the field. I have also personally trained individuals and worked with individual on weight loss and health. Interestingly, I have had to dig into a lot of this data because my wife has several issues, including an automatic disorder (POTS). Her Electrophysiologist and all of her physicians have never seen a patient with her conditions seen such an improvement, to include her ability to now do StrongLifting. They attribute it to me and the work I have done.

Have you look into Peter Attia's work? His work has been dedicated to improving longevity. There are indicators that link factors like VO2max, grip strength, and resistance training to becoming more resilient. There is also fascinating evidence using Mendelian Randomization Studies link low LDL to reductions in all cause mortality. I haven't specifically spent time researching the impacts of persistently low cholesterol numbers. Although, I do know there can be problems once you get below certain thresholds.

Ultimately, at the end of the day, if you are happy with your current plan, then that matters more than semantic based on studies. As you progress with your approach, if you don't see the results that you expect, than a course adjustment is needed.

At the end of the day, i love learning and discussing strategies for health.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,813 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    psulemon wrote:
    Your abs will be seen in regards to your body fat %. Food I would recommend is chicken and tuna. Tuna doesn’t have carbs and a tin has around 25 g of protein. Try doing cardio, push ups , body weight training. It will come with time, be consistent
    carbs have nothing to do with getting or not getting abs.

If that was correct you still don’t get as much for your calories with carbs.

Eat your fruits and veggies. They're good for you. Lots of the ones that are good for you are high in carbs. Also high in micronutrients, fiber, beneficial phytochemicals, prebiotics . . . .

He said he was doing keto and on a high protein diet. I told him 2 options which are low carbs and high protein and that visual abs are to do with body fat. No problem here.

Age 18 numbers:

Good question.

More protein = 💪🏾

From a learning and education perspective, I have done a lot of google scholar and I have followed the top two protein metabolism researchers in the worlds (Dr. Stuart Phillips and Dr. Brad Schoenfeld) for the past 15 years. They are the leading experts in protein research and most cited. Ultimately, the recommendations I provide are predicted on their research, but also other researchers in the field. I have also personally trained individuals and worked with individual on weight loss and health. Interestingly, I have had to dig into a lot of this data because my wife has several issues, including an automatic disorder (POTS). Her Electrophysiologist and all of her physicians have never seen a patient with her conditions seen such an improvement, to include her ability to now do StrongLifting. They attribute it to me and the work I have done.

Have you look into Peter Attia's work? His work has been dedicated to improving longevity. There are indicators that link factors like VO2max, grip strength, and resistance training to becoming more resilient. There is also fascinating evidence using Mendelian Randomization Studies link low LDL to reductions in all cause mortality. I haven't specifically spent time researching the impacts of persistently low cholesterol numbers. Although, I do know there can be problems once you get below certain thresholds.

Ultimately, at the end of the day, if you are happy with your current plan, then that matters more than semantic based on studies. As you progress with your approach, if you don't see the results that you expect, than a course adjustment is needed.

Brad and Alan Aragon are the 2 go to’s for sage nutritional opinions.

• psuLemon
    edited May 2023
    Options
    psulemon wrote:
    Your abs will be seen in regards to your body fat %. Food I would recommend is chicken and tuna. Tuna doesn’t have carbs and a tin has around 25 g of protein. Try doing cardio, push ups , body weight training. It will come with time, be consistent

Eat your fruits and veggies. They're good for you. Lots of the ones that are good for you are high in carbs. Also high in micronutrients, fiber, beneficial phytochemicals, prebiotics . . . .

He said he was doing keto and on a high protein diet. I told him 2 options which are low carbs and high protein and that visual abs are to do with body fat. No problem here.

Age 18 numbers:

Good question.

More protein = 💪🏾

Oh, there are plenty of qualified individuals. I was point out the lead researchers in protein metabolism.

Other highly qualified individuals: Dr Layne Norton, Dr. Bret Contreras, Jeff Nippard, Dr Eric Helms, Dr. Mike Isreteal, Greg Nuckols, Dr. Eric Trexler, etc...

Ultimately, I look at people trained in the field of nutrition and sports vs medical doctors and other "YouTube personalities".
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    psulemon wrote:

Age 18 numbers:

Good question.

More protein = 💪🏾

Oh, there are plenty of qualified individuals. I was point out the lead researchers in protein metabolism.

Other highly qualified individuals: Dr Layne Norton, Dr. Bret Contreras, Jeff Nippard, Dr Eric Helms, Dr. Mike Isreteal, Greg Nuckols, Dr. Eric Trexler, etc...

Ultimately, I look at people trained in the field of nutrition and sports vs medical doctors and other "YouTube personalities".
    lol Dr. Mike. Classic. As long as you left out Gary Taubes it’s a win.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    psulemon wrote:

(snip)

FTR, there's a misattributed quote (messed up quote tag) somewhere in there. The "eat your veggies" thing was me, not Psu, and I was replying to someone who'd said "(you) don’t get as much for your calories with carbs." in response to your comment that "carbs have nothing to do with getting or not getting abs."

In that exchange, I agree with you (carb level isn't the relevant issue in getting abs), but felt that the other poster was overselling protein or underselling other nutrients.

Yes, protein is essential, in general and even more so for building muscle. It's not the only relevant aspect of nutrition, and in my view well-rounded overall nutrition is going to give the best odds of muscle mass gain and athletic performance. To some extent, carbs are protein-sparing, besides; and some find that carbs lead to more energetic workout performance.

So I think you get different things for your calories with carbs, but "less for your calories" is misleading.

Also, since we've completely digressed from trying to help the OP here (!), I'll quote someone else even more digressively:
    (snip)

(snip)

That's an amusingly flattering little gauge on body age, based on running my own data anyway. I'm skeptical, TBH.
  • Jamesever
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote:

(snip)

FTR, there's a misattributed quote (messed up quote tag) somewhere in there. The "eat your veggies" thing was me, not Psu, and I was replying to someone who'd said "(you) don’t get as much for your calories with carbs." in response to your comment that "carbs have nothing to do with getting or not getting abs."

In that exchange, I agree with you (carb level isn't the relevant issue in getting abs), but felt that the other poster was overselling protein or underselling other nutrients.

Yes, protein is essential, in general and even more so for building muscle. It's not the only relevant aspect of nutrition, and in my view well-rounded overall nutrition is going to give the best odds of muscle mass gain and athletic performance. To some extent, carbs are protein-sparing, besides; and some find that carbs lead to more energetic workout performance.

So I think you get different things for your calories with carbs, but "less for your calories" is misleading.

Also, since we've completely digressed from trying to help the OP here (!), I'll quote someone else even more digressively:
    (snip)

(snip)

That's an amusingly flattering little gauge on body age, based on running my own data anyway. I'm skeptical, TBH.

Ann,

You're on top of the most important aspect—keeping focused on the original poster's comment.

When I first posted in support of the thread, I attempted, more or less successfully, to provide an anecdotal story of my own journey from those younger years to now (age 14 onwards) for illustration.

As for the (your) flattering age when using the worldfitnesslevel link, I, too, enjoy using it now and then for an easy smile (if only I ran harder and longer! 🤣 ). Enjoy.

Peace

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,814 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Yeah. Gotta agree, but dang, having been 85 pounds heavier less than five years ago, it totally made my day anyway. 😂😂😂

dh6crl324fvb.png

Anyway, OP, I eat very high protein, for satiation and because I’m high activity. Today I’m set to have 189 grams. My diary is open for ideas. (The whacko looking daily breakfast is simply yummy sweetened pancakes enhanced with every kind of protein I can think of : eggs, egg whites, plain whey, liquid whey leftover from yogurt making, yogurt, and cottage cheese, and then topped with homemade yogurt “cream cheese”.

@psuLemon yours is the very first post I’ve seen saying that too high protein doesn’t necessarily equate to kidney issues, and I thank you for that. I’ve been saving that one up for my next GP visit. I can easily tell when protein runs low.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, i’m a 19 y/o male, 160 lbs, 5’11 n im struggling to figure out what my macros should be, i started almost exactly 3 months ago where i was abt 195 lbs and ate like total shii, never exercised. now i lift weights and run a 3 mile trail 6 days a week, i work, so i’m fairly active, i’ve lost abt 35lbs. and everything but my stomach is looking great. it’s def gotten smaller but to burn the rest of that fat and build muscle at the same time what should my macros be? i eat a lot of protein at least my body weight so mainly how many grams of carbs should i have daily?? i figured i’d limit it as much as possible so basically have been on keto without even realizing bc i thought keto was close to none. Eating is quite the chore now because i am a picky eater and i eat the same stuff all the time, have probably rambled to much to just ask basically how many grams of fat/carbs should i have daily?😭 also any tips for things to munch on, or meals, would be greatly appreciated

5'11" @ 160 is pretty lean (5'10" 155 was about where I was at 19 when I was in the Marines). Honestly, at 19 yo and 160 trying to build muscle, I don't think I'd be skimping on the carbs...I certainly wouldn't be doing keto, especially if running everyday and also active in general.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Commenting out of order, in effort to be more on track with OP's topic.

(snip)
    Anyway, OP, I eat very high protein, for satiation and because I’m high activity. Today I’m set to have 189 grams. My diary is open for ideas. (The whacko looking daily breakfast is simply yummy sweetened pancakes enhanced with every kind of protein I can think of : eggs, egg whites, plain whey, liquid whey leftover from yogurt making, yogurt, and cottage cheese, and then topped with homemade yogurt “cream cheese”.

@psuLemon yours is the very first post I’ve seen saying that too high protein doesn’t necessarily equate to kidney issues, and I thank you for that. I’ve been saving that one up for my next GP visit. I can easily tell when protein runs low.

FWIW, the Examine.com protein guide has a bit on this, from a research support perspective:
    Most studies have looked at dosages up to 1.5 g/kg; only a few have looked at dosages as high as 2.2–3.3 g/kg. However, in healthy people, even those higher dosages don’t seem to have negative effects.

That's from https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/ .

(For other USA-ians, roughly 1.5 g/kg = 0.68 g/lb, 2.2-3.3 g/kg = 1-1.5 g/lb. That's pounds bodyweight, because that's how most of the research is framed. Elsewhere, they do say that if substantially overweight, it can make sense to adjust the base to a normal weight.)

That quote above links to another document on the site with a summary about risk-related research that leads off with:
    Eating a high-protein diet doesn't appear to harm the kidneys or liver unless there is pre-existing damage and dysfunction. It's possible that dramatically increasing protein intake in a short timespan can lead to adverse effects on the liver and kidneys, but evidence for this is lacking. Bone health also appears to be either largely unaffected or benefited by eating more protein.

I'm not sure whether that document is publicly available or not (I have a login there). It's https://examine.com/supplements/whey-protein/faq/4QdqPJb-can-eating-too-much-protein-be-bad-for-you/

Both of those documents link to the relevant research they've used to form those conclusions.

USDA remains skeptical, seems like - but out in the area of "not enough evidence" to "mixed evidence", seems like. I don't think they've set an official tolerable upper intake limit (UL, but I'm not sure they do that for macronutrients generally. (This next link is tedious ;) : https://nesr.usda.gov/sites/default/files/2022-07/NESR-DRI-Protein-Evidence-Scan-Report.pdf).

The closed they come to a UL that I've seen was linking to a UCDavis document that talks about overconsumption, among other things. That's here: https://nutrition.ucdavis.edu/outreach/nutr-health-info-sheets/pro-protein-requirements.

Elsewhere in the US official stuff, there's some indication that 10-35% of calories would be an acceptable (generally safe). 10% makes me 😬 on the surface of it, but there's more nuanced discussion in various places about who needs relatively more and why.

Slightly on-topic, as there was a digression in this thread about protein for vegans, this is from the Examine protein guide (first link above):
    Plant proteins being lower in leucine and other EAAs helps explain why several studies have reported lower MPS from soy protein powders and beverages than from whey protein,[103][104][105] skim milk,[106] whole milk with cheese,[107] and lean beef.[50]

The quality of a protein depends on its bioavailability and EAA content. Based on both criteria, the quality of plant proteins is lower than the quality of animal proteins.

MPS = muscle protein synthesis, EAA = essential amino acids.

That agrees with what I've understood from other science-based sources (i.e., not advocacy sites), from being actively interested in this issue as someone nearing 49 years as a vegetarian. They go into somewhat more detail in that first link about how to get the best results from dietary protein and/or supplements as a veg.

Yeah. Gotta agree, but dang, having been 85 pounds heavier less than five years ago, it totally made my day anyway. 😂😂😂
    You're ahead of me! At 67, I got 25 and 43, not bad for a li'l ol' lady with early COPD. ;) 😂 Garmin thinks 33 and 37 respectively lately based on walking performance (something I don't do often in large amounts), which still seems pretty hilarious. Concept 2 estimates VO2max lower depending on how trained I say I am. Subjectively, it seems like a lot of the questions at that linked site aren't exactly the right questions, but I'm sure they were chosen to correlate the input data with categorizations from research findings.

Oddly, many of my objective performance/fitness indicators (stuff like resting heart rate, race pace, etc.) are about the same now as they were when I was obese, since I was already very active then. I'd accept that my theoretical fitness age would be better as a healthy-weight woman, though. VO2max higher, maybe, too, since it's relative to bodyweight. With weight loss, my boat got faster (less load), but the rowing machine didn't, at least not observably. But I can now compete as lightweight, which is a less competitive field in my age group, vs. as openweight/heavyweight, where the tall/strong genetically blessed serious hard-working rowers compete. 😂

• springlering62
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @AnnPT77 in another life I raced Hobie Cat catamarans. You had to be (from memory) 170 lbs minimum on a singlehand 14’, and 280 on a two-man 16’, and you could carry a max of 30 or 50 lbs deadweight to “make weight”.

I was running about 115 in those days, and often raced with another even smaller woman, so had to make weight with a bag or two loaded with lead shot to the mast base to get us there.

Got protested numerous times by male sailors, who were (and this was the early 80’s, bless their hearts) then kinda politely shamed by race crew for protesting “the ladies”.

Oddly, one of the things that really bothered me about putting on weight was I was grotesquely overweight to sail either one, should I ever have had a yen to try again.

I don’t even think they make Hobies like that anymore. 😢They were like the Maserati of sailboats. Those things would haul *kitten*. Many’s the time I kept up with gawking powerboats. “Looka there! That’s a girl hangin’ off the side a that boat!”

Good for you for keeping up with the rowing. I can tell you love it like I loved my cats!
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    @AnnPT77 in another life I raced Hobie Cat catamarans. You had to be (from memory) 170 lbs minimum on a singlehand 14’, and 280 on a two-man 16’, and you could carry a max of 30 or 50 lbs deadweight to “make weight”.

I was running about 115 in those days, and often raced with another even smaller woman, so had to make weight with a bag or two loaded with lead shot to the mast base to get us there.

Got protested numerous times by male sailors, who were (and this was the early 80’s, bless their hearts) then kinda politely shamed by race crew for protesting “the ladies”.

Oddly, one of the things that really bothered me about putting on weight was I was grotesquely overweight to sail either one, should I ever have had a yen to try again.

I don’t even think they make Hobies like that anymore. 😢They were like the Maserati of sailboats. Those things would haul *kitten*. Many’s the time I kept up with gawking powerboats. “Looka there! That’s a girl hangin’ off the side a that boat!”

Good for you for keeping up with the rowing. I can tell you love it like I loved my cats!
    The Hobies were amazing. I had a 16 I kept on the beach in front of my house in Hawaii and when it was blowing 20 knots it was an amazing experience (Until we demasted off Kaena Point at sundown.)

• springlering62
    edited May 2023
    Options

The Hobies were amazing. I had a 16 I kept on the beach in front of my house in Hawaii and when it was blowing 20 knots it was an amazing experience (Until we demasted off Kaena Point at sundown.)

Tom, I feel ya.

I pitchpoled my 14 turbo off the coast of Sea Island, and stupidly hadn’t told anyone I was going out. I had a righting line but didn’t weigh enough to right the boat . Dolphins circled me for the hours and hours I was out there. I wasn’t afraid for some reason with them so close.

After the lovely and very welcome guys from the Coast Guard ripped me a new one, I mentioned the dolphins. They rolled their eyes and said “this is the third largest shark breeding ground in the world. They’re natural enemies. The dolphins were protecting you.”

Don’t know if it was true or not but it scared the unholy hell out of me. As if I already hadn’t been.

Sure learned a valuable lesson.

And gained a lifelong appreciation for dolphins.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

Tom, I feel ya.

I pitchpoled my 14 turbo off the coast of Sea Island, and stupidly hadn’t told anyone I was going out. I had a righting line but didn’t weigh enough to right the boat . Dolphins circled me for the hours and hours I was out there. I wasn’t afraid for some reason with them so close.

After the lovely and very welcome guys from the Coast Guard ripped me a new one, I mentioned the dolphins. They rolled their eyes and said “this is the third largest shark breeding ground in the world. They’re natural enemies. The dolphins were protecting you.”

Don’t know if it was true or not but it scared the unholy hell out of me. As if I already hadn’t been.

Sure learned a valuable lesson.

And gained a lifelong appreciation for dolphins.
    Great story…