Proper Human Diet

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    Carbs should be classed and defined in 2 different ways to avoid confusion. Non processed and processed. Too many people only consider processed carbs as carbs. You could even go with ultra processed in some cases.

And what about processed fats? And where do you draw the line between processed and not processed?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    The hubris of this thread title makes me wonder if OP coined it, or lifted it directly from the book. Not that it matters, but sheesh...

Nope, it's real. Dr. Berry is or was on tour promoting it. He has PHD T shirts too. Cheers
  • elainecorwin7355
    elainecorwin7355 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP but with the caveat that if carbs work for you then by all means eat them. There are, however, plenty of people with food sensitivities who are better off without them. And yes, just as important is getting off ultra processed foods. I went keto 3 months ago. At the time I was using a cane to walk because my osteoarthritis in both hips was so bad. I was in a tremendous amount of pain every day. My life was, frankly, miserable. Then I decided I needed to lose a few pounds. I looked at various diets online and Keto looked good to me so I started it. Within 3 weeks my hip pain disappeared!! I could walk again with no limp, no pain, and no cane! I researched this online & found that keto diets improve or eliminate a variety of autoimmune disorders of which osteoarthritis is one. I will never go back to carbs (except for my birthday cake :)
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Carbs should be classed and defined in 2 different ways to avoid confusion. Non processed and processed. Too many people only consider processed carbs as carbs. You could even go with ultra processed in some cases.

And what about processed fats? And where do you draw the line between processed and not processed?
    it was a response regarding carbs and the perception by many that carbs are only things like bread, pasta, etc.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP but with the caveat that if carbs work for you then by all means eat them. There are, however, plenty of people with food sensitivities who are better off without them. And yes, just as important is getting off ultra processed foods. I went keto 3 months ago. At the time I was using a cane to walk because my osteoarthritis in both hips was so bad. I was in a tremendous amount of pain every day. My life was, frankly, miserable. Then I decided I needed to lose a few pounds. I looked at various diets online and Keto looked good to me so I started it. Within 3 weeks my hip pain disappeared!! I could walk again with no limp, no pain, and no cane! I researched this online & found that keto diets improve or eliminate a variety of autoimmune disorders of which osteoarthritis is one. I will never go back to carbs (except for my birthday cake :)

Fruits and vegetables and anything that is grown from the ground is mostly carbs with the exception of things like avocado and nuts.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I’m down 53# in 6 months. For me, I was insulin resistant like every processed carb addict. I now only eat food with only one ingredient or very simple ingredient lists (like…sardines, salt, water). My diet is primarily keto based on a fresh whole food foundation. I try to focus on my restoration of gut health. I do have the rare potato of bread on special dinners. My body is learning how to be a fat burner again. For my body, very low carb, moderate protein and higher fat works best for the whole lists of things I want to achieve.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I’m down 53# in 6 months. For me, I was insulin resistant like every processed carb addict. I now only eat food with only one ingredient or very simple ingredient lists (like…sardines, salt, water). My diet is primarily keto based on a fresh whole food foundation. I try to focus on my restoration of gut health. I do have the rare potato of bread on special dinners. My body is learning how to be a fat burner again. For my body, very low carb, moderate protein and higher fat works best for the whole lists of things I want to achieve.

One of the tenets of the "proper human diet" which is as close to a keto diet as possible according to Dr. Berry is, it's almost impossible to overeat and gain weight. When I did do keto off and on over the last decade is when I experienced the most satiation compared to about the 100 g's I generally eat now, and I've always had a little bit of joint discomfort, mostly in one hand and one knee, which cleared up completely.

I did do carnivore for 60 days 2 years ago as a nutritional experiment which I've done for most diets to see how I felt and how it effected me and I lost about 11 lbs and I actually tried to maintain a stable weight, which was an integral part of the experiment, and I just couldn't eat that much animal food to do that. Which seems to agree with what I've found while researching carnivore. People don't gain weight and the main reason why people eventually stumble on carnivore is trying to find solutions for their health, mostly the inflammatory kind from metabolic dysfunction and weight loss just happens, which most thought would happen but does almost by default. Anyway, glad your finding a solution to your weight problem. I'll say that going that low to be in ketosis was too restrictive for me personally and carnivore was not enjoyable either for the same reasons, but then again I don't have the health problems that many other people have to deal with and trying to find solutions. Cheers
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,451 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    750g1n12h1bd.jpeg
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,955 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    tumblr_nq7d09Iqbd1qhub34o7_r1_500.gifv
    ^^confused...

**Edit to ask springle what that image she posted means?

I am not a Sesame Street connoisseur :no_mouth:
  • springlering62
    Options
    It’s the guys who sing menomenah, which sounds remarkably like metonymy.

Just popped into my head. I am no good at figuring out how to post gifs. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • springlering62
    Options
    That’s an earworm I’m going to regret for the rest of the day.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,313 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you. I shall be singing this all day now.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,313 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This idea that there are "types of carbs" is a non-starter, usually fuzzy thinking, unless by "types of carbs" we're referring to actual subclasses of the macronutrient, like fiber, sugars, starches, or more detailed subtypes.

There are types of foods: Unprocessed, more processed, nutrient-dense, etc., would be attributes one could sensibly apply to foods. Nutrient composition is an attribute of food, analogous to its color or other attributes - sub-classifications of foods. Even "high carb" can be an attribute of a food, just like "blue" or "grainy". But foods are not carbs, strictly speaking. Foods have carbs (or don't) as one of their subcomponents or attributes.

When someone says "apples are a good carb" or "processed carbs", they're using a figure of speech, probably a synecdoche or metonymy depending on the details. In a practical applied sense, it obscures rather than enlightening.

In a lot of other contexts, when people use these figures of speech, they don't confuse the details. (Example: If I said "paved miles are easier to bike than gravel miles", you'd implicitly understand I was talking about roads/trails. You'd know that miles themselves don't have a paved or unpaved surface - that's nonsensical. For some reason, some people don't seem to have that understanding when it's "types of carbs", and it leads to confused conclusions in some cases.)

Yes, I'm being pedantic.

I have long believed that a large number of arguments and debates occur because of word choices, when the opposing sides are assigning different meaning to words, phrases, or figures of speech. I've seen this so many times.

One of the most prevalent argument-inducing issues I've witnessed here at MFP is the lack of distinguishing between weight loss and health. Many people cannot separate them. It's logical that they often go hand in hand, but they are not the same thing. Weight loss can be achieved without choosing healthy food, and it's possible to overeat and gain weight while eating healthy food. (Without getting into a whole thing about what "healthy food" means, because there are also a million different definitions of that!)

@AnnPT77 , you are one of the very best on these boards when it comes to giving clear and understandable answers and eliminating confusion over words. Continue to be as pedantic as you like!

Even the label "healthy food" is a point of confusion. Food is not healthy or unhealthy (baring allergies or the like) in and of itself or it would not be food. Usually, its health or lack there of has to do with overall diet and how big a proportion of the diet is makes up. Eat something, even "healthy" things to excess and there will likely be negative results. I personally strive to use the word "nutritious" rather than healthy or unhealthy, and encourage people to look at the nutrition provided by something realizing that a treat that is not particularly nutritious can be fine in their overall diet. In fact it can be beneficial in terms of mental balance. Eat too much less nutritious foods and thus either over consume calories or forgo the nutrient rich foods, is what leads to issues. It is not whether food is "healthy" or "unhealthy."
    Yes, I agree with everything you said here! I'll certainly concede that nutritious is a better way to express what I meant.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

WHY would you do this to us? WHY?
  • teenerbug1968
    teenerbug1968 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The whole community in an uproar because I said quit carbs in caps. My post was meant to show that other options exist and they do work. Every dietary plan I have ever been given has included carbs as the main source of nutrition. I'm so regretful that I actually paid for that.
    I have struggled with my health and weight most of my life.
    This is something that I don't consider to be a diet but a healthy life change. And it's working. Even thin people can be unhealthy.
    Yep, I feel lied to.
    Issues that I have been addressing with my doctors for years are no longer issues.
    My joints aren't swollen and painful, no more RLS, my fatty liver is no longer fatty, no more hypertension, my A1C is back to normal, my skin feels better, sleeping way better and sooooo much more energy. And the bonus is losing weight. And.... yes, improved mental clarity.
    The food industry has zero incentive other than to keep you coming back for your next carb rush. Your health means nothing to them. If you're addicted, chances are so are your children and so on.
    I felt so strongly to make that first post because for the first time, I found something that works for me, I see it working for others, and it makes sense.
    Dr. Berry is very knowledgeable and has had his own personal experiences. Dr.Ekberg is another amazing resource.
    I think it's important that we advocate for ourselves. Do the research. Find a doctor that listens to you.
    Hope you all stay happy & healthy
    Tina