Fasting Check-in for Whomever Whenever!

Options
ddsb1111
ddsb1111 Posts: 843 Member
edited April 2023 in Motivation and Support
Fasting Check-in

Type of fast (16/8, 24, 5/2, 4/3, OMAD, etc.)

Context of fast (start, end, day x of y, etc.)

Length of fast (8 hours, 3 days, etc.)

Why? What do you hope to accomplish with your fast

Notes- How is it going so far? Any concerns? Insights to share?

Type: I do 4/3- where 3 days I do a small, low cal OMAD.
Context: Allows me to have almost 2000 calories on regular days, so I can cook and enjoy food and drink with my family.
Length: Mon, Wed, Fri. The “fast” essentially starts after the previous nights
dinner.
Why: Helps me to control calories, really no other reason. I like it.
Notes: I wanted a place to kill time instead of wanting to snack and didn’t know where else to go. I don’t mind if we talk about fasting, my/your day, interesting research, whatever. Just anything other than focusing on food when I know I feel perfectly fine and can last until tomorrow morning. Hopefully others feel comfortable jumping in and making this a place where they can come, unwind, decompress, and distract themselves too. I don’t even mind if there’s debate here, as long as we can be civil. That would certainly do the trick in fact. But genuinely, it’s nice to have someone to talk to or a place to go where they’re going through the same thing, that’s pretty comforting and encouraging. I’d also really enjoy reading what makes it a smooth fast day for you. Some days are just easier than others and suggestions help.

Replies

• ddsb1111
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Not fasting today but why is it when I get, what I call a GREEN day, I don’t really care? Something about IF just really mellows out my hunger. You’d think it would be the other way around. Anyway, hope everyone fasting today has an effortless one!
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Friday fast day!- which typically means I can have up to 400 cals or so if needed. But even if I end up having 1 “meal” with a little more, I don’t beat myself up about it. Because, at the end of the day, this is my lifestyle and all those smaller calorie days will compound and get me to where I need/want to be. I’m trying to make dieting feel as effortless as possible, because, why wouldn’t you? Haha!

I don’t use the word “cheat” or “allowed” if I can help it. I tell myself, I’m an adult and can do whatever I want and I essentially choose to have 3 low calorie/fast days so the other days I can enjoy myself with my family liberally. In my mind, this is what makes it something I can comfortably do for as long as I want, and something that feels natural to me anyway.

Apart from the above benefits, I feel relieved when a fast day starts. Partially because I don’t have to worry about food, and partially because I feel sluggish after my GREEN days (days when I’m not fasting). I also feel incredibly clear, energized, and less bloated the day after a fast day and that is an amazing feeling. At least this is my personal experience, I can’t speak for others of course.

I’ll break down what I do if anyone’s curious. I chose this method because it works best for my family and me.

Red= Fast >400 cals
    Yellow= OMAD
    Green= Regular day

Sun- Green
    Monday- Yellow/Red
    Tuesday Green
    Wednesday- Red
    Thursday- Green
    Friday- Yellow/Red
    Saturday- Green

Didn’t mean to write so much but I’m sure it will answer questions some might have in the future. Have a great Fast day!
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    Green Day for me today, and not super motivated to eat but it’s still early.

Have a great fast day!
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Weight: 132.8
    Fasting: Yes- it’s a Yellow/Red day (less than 400 calories, or 1 small meal if necessary).

Have a great fast day!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,640 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 fasting and I do Keto... I am type 2 diabetic ... I am not able to workout since I had my 4th foot surgery on 3/31
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    I do 16:8 fasting and I do Keto... I am type 2 diabetic ... I am not able to workout since I had my 4th foot surgery on 3/31

No way, 4th foot surgery! That’s horrible, I’m so sorry! I bet 16:8 will definitely help since you’re activity will be down for awhile. When I broke my ankle I used those bands and weights to increase my heart rate, and to be honest prevent boredom haha. Being immobile is hard!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

No way, 4th foot surgery! That’s horrible, I’m so sorry! I bet 16:8 will definitely help since you’re activity will be down for awhile. When I broke my ankle I used those bands and weights to increase my heart rate, and to be honest prevent boredom haha. Being immobile is hard!

Thank you ... yeah I was throwing the ball for my 2 dogs when I fell into one of their craters that they dug up .... I broke my ankle in 2 spots and tore ligaments and tendons back in October of 22 ... I now have 2 rods in my leg and more screws in my foot ...looking forward to having this behind me so that I can walk my dogs ( boy do I miss it )
  • ddsb1111
    Options

Thank you ... yeah I was throwing the ball for my 2 dogs when I fell into one of their craters that they dug up .... I broke my ankle in 2 spots and tore ligaments and tendons back in October of 22 ... I now have 2 rods in my leg and more screws in my foot ...looking forward to having this behind me so that I can walk my dogs ( boy do I miss it )

One second you’re having a wonderful day and the next moment you have a life changing injury, it’s just mind blowing! I’m so sorry, I don’t even know you and I’m just shocked by how crazy that is! Sending you lots of good vibes. Hope you can keep checking in so you’re at goal when you have your mobility back. How amazing would that be!
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    Been volunteering all day for the last few days but wanted to check in. Managed to do both my fasts days this week since my last check in.

Wed- Red day ✅
    Friday- Yellow day ✅

Today I’m definitely under calories but it’s 9pm and I just got home. Sometimes that happens but I’m not wasting away any time soon haha.

Have a great weekend!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options

One second you’re having a wonderful day and the next moment you have a life changing injury, it’s just mind blowing! I’m so sorry, I don’t even know you and I’m just shocked by how crazy that is! Sending you lots of good vibes. Hope you can keep checking in so you’re at goal when you have your mobility back. How amazing would that be!

Thank you so much ... Greatly appreciate it :) I have a lot of Physical therapy in my future ughhh
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hey gang, hope you're still here. I was diagnosed with Type 2 in July 2022 with an a1c over 12. Started variations of low carb/carnivore/keto/Intermittent Fasting/OMAD etc almost immediately and drop about 40 pounds in 3 months and a1c down to the 5 range. Need to get that number checked again. Started watching Intermittent Fasting Foodie, Ketofocus, GrowGrayMatter and a whole bunch of others recently. Trying to follow Jackie on IFF by doing a variation of Up, Down, OMAD, and ADF days. Hope you are both doing well. Joe
  • wendelina66
    wendelina66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm just starting IM. Rookie alert! 😊Only 1 day under my belt. I'm carb sensitive and trying to drop some weight. Any tips for being successful at this are appreciated. Also looking for someplace/people for support and to support!; there isn't a lot of support around me in my inner circle.
  • ddsb1111
    edited May 2023
    Options
    JoeMO wrote: »
    Hey gang, hope you're still here. I was diagnosed with Type 2 in July 2022 with an a1c over 12. Started variations of low carb/carnivore/keto/Intermittent Fasting/OMAD etc almost immediately and drop about 40 pounds in 3 months and a1c down to the 5 range. Need to get that number checked again. Started watching Intermittent Fasting Foodie, Ketofocus, GrowGrayMatter and a whole bunch of others recently. Trying to follow Jackie on IFF by doing a variation of Up, Down, OMAD, and ADF days. Hope you are both doing well. Joe

Hi Joe! Welcome aboard and happy to hear you’re finding success in the 4 months since you’ve started. How are you keeping track of when you do OMAD, ADF, etc? What’s your eating window? Are you also tracking your calories or just sticking to the one meal and controlling portions? I’m intrigued and hope you keep us in the loop of your progress.
  • ddsb1111
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hello! I'm just starting IM. Rookie alert! 😊Only 1 day under my belt. I'm carb sensitive and trying to drop some weight. Any tips for being successful at this are appreciated. Also looking for someplace/people for support and to support!; there isn't a lot of support around me in my inner circle.

Hey there, welcome! You will find a ton of support here on MFP and many of us have no support at home but we can do this! What I found most helpful is to read the stickies at the top of the page on the general Health and Weight Loss board! It clears up all the myths and really simplifies the process of losing weight. As you know there’s so much misinformation out there which can be utterly confusing.

I have a unique 3 day fast schedule each week. Basically I do:

Monday: OMAD (one meal a day)
    Wednesday: Less than 400 cals Fast
    Friday: OMAD (one meal a day).

To keep it simple for my husband I call my OMAD days- yellows days
    My fast day- red days
    And any day I eat normally-Green Days

As long as my weekly calories averages to 1400 calories a day I should be losing about .5 lbs a week.
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    So, this week I had to rearrange some days but I got a yellow day (Sunday) and red day (Tuesday) in so far. That means tomorrow I have to do a yellow or red day to get my 3 days in.

I need to tighten up my calories on my (OMAD) Yellow days and (Normal) Green Day’s because I’ve been hovering around 132lbs for awhile now. Losing the last 8-10 lbs takes an incredible amount of focus and commitment but it’s not going to drop itself lol.

Red= >400 cals
    Yellow= OMAD
    Green= normal day

Have a great fast day y’all!
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    Snuck in my 3rd fast for the week on a Saturday, so barely made it, but it’s done. Wasn’t a complete fast but OMAD works fine too. Looking for good and great consistently, not perfect. But tbh, without tracking calories I’ve been kind of in the dark here.

The reason I’ve been posting lately is to change that and improve my focus or I’ll just be spinning my wheels here. I just need to decide and commit to tracking and logging again.

• ddsb1111
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Sunday May 7
    SW 133.8
    CW 133.8
    GW 123.8
    Fast: 4/3 (400-700)
    BF: 23.9%
    BF Goal: 20% not sure tbh

I need to start logging and tracking more closely so figured why not start today (Sunday). I’m definitely carrying some water weight so although I have a 10 lb goal it is more likely 7-8. I’d like to be there in about 7 weeks just to get it over with but it takes as long as it takes.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    18 1/2 hours into a fast and not sure how long I'll go. Physically, I feel great but mentally my mind keeps thinking about breaking down and giving up.

Got laundry done and mowed front and back yard today and going to try to get busy with more household tasks that need to be done. Should help occupy my mind a little bit...
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    20 hours fasting, eating window 4-5:30 and stayed within "budget"
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    20 hours fasting, eating window 4-5:30 and stayed within "budget"

Hi Lovey! Great job getting through your fast. How often do you do it? I think the hardest part is just distracting myself, not really any hunger pains or anything. Do you follow a certain fasting schedule?